Author Topic: Any Father sons to look out for?  (Read 200837 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Any Father sons to look out for?
« Reply #300 on: July 07, 2017, 01:03:25 PM »
Just let clubs have their father-sons FFS.....good luck to 'em if they score a gun or two for nothing...it all evens out over time anyway....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

tony_montana

« Reply #301 on: July 07, 2017, 02:49:44 PM »
agreed on both counts above ^^

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #302 on: July 07, 2017, 03:00:22 PM »
All because the northern clubs sooked it up about bidding on academy players...which they get every year and are usually guns as oppossed to father-sons who come around maybe once or twice a decade and good ones even less frequently....

- Gustav Mahler

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #303 on: July 07, 2017, 03:07:04 PM »
At no stage we can afford to give up either of our 2 first rounders for this kid. We simply don't need the type of player he is that much unless it's for a bit of a gift, which is what the father and son pick should be IMO.

I liked Chris Naish as much as the next tiger supporter but I like the RFC more and if that means we miss out on him so be it.
We need KKP more than HBF'ers

What if Geelong win the flag, pushes that first rounder out to about 22/23. Would you take a potential top 10 pick for 22?

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #304 on: July 07, 2017, 03:11:03 PM »
Just let clubs have their father-sons FFS.....good luck to 'em if they score a gun or two for nothing...it all evens out over time anyway....
Yeah kinda disagree. If Geelong were forced to use higher picks on FS players they would have had about half the champions they ended up with. I'm not really suckered in by the romance of F/S at all. If a kid is a jet and the son of a gun he should still have to go wherever the draft tells them to, reckon its unfair on the other draftees that don't have the choice.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #305 on: July 07, 2017, 04:05:11 PM »
Thev reality is it happens once in a blue moon while northern clubs get gun kids nearly every year....it's hardly unfair....nobody even cared until Neil Kurley or Cornes or whoever it was sooked it up when Adelaide joined the comp and forced the AFL to raise the qualification from 50 to 100 games and nobody cared again until Fathead McGuire sooked it up over the academys which brought all this up again....

- Gustav Mahler

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #306 on: July 07, 2017, 05:48:42 PM »
At no stage we can afford to give up either of our 2 first rounders for this kid. We simply don't need the type of player he is that much unless it's for a bit of a gift, which is what the father and son pick should be IMO.

I liked Chris Naish as much as the next tiger supporter but I like the RFC more and if that means we miss out on him so be it.

What if Geelong win the flag, pushes that first rounder out to about 22/23. Would you take a potential top 10 pick for 22?
No. We don't need FBF'ers as I've said.
Just my opinion.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #307 on: July 07, 2017, 06:53:24 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Chris Naish father-son: Richmond yet to commit to Patrick Naish (H-Sun)
« Reply #308 on: July 07, 2017, 07:13:16 PM »
Chris Naish father-son: Richmond yet to commit to Patrick Naish draft pick

Jon Ralph
Herald Sun
7 July 2017

FORMER Richmond forward Chris Naish says the recruitment of his son, Patrick, to Punt Road would be a dream come true.

But despite a brilliant national under-18 championships the Tigers have stopped short of committing to silky halfback Patrick Naish, a potential first-round pick in November’s draft.

Medium-sized defender Patrick yesterday won All-Australian U18 honours after averaging 519 metres gained — the No.1 ranked player in that category — across the four games.

He averaged 89 ranking points, an elite 22 disposals and kicked three goals, but won only 22 per cent of his disposals in the contest.

The Tigers have their own first-round pick (currently at pick 15) and Geelong’s first selection (pick 16), with Naish likely to be a late first-rounder.

Under the AFL’s father-son bidding system, playing their hand early would be counter-productive given they have to match a rival bid.

AFL Academy member Naish spent time at Richmond over the summer and still attends Richmond games with 143-game Tigers veteran Chris and siblings Xavier, Rose and Charlie.

“He would love to play for Richmond and he would go to any club to get an opportunity, but he has got a real soft spot for the Tigers,” Reach Foundation chief executive Chris Naish said yesterday.

“Richmond often drop him a line and encourage him and wish him all the best, but nothing more than that.

“I don’t think they are allowed to either. They would have wanted to look at his carnival and sit back and see how it unfolded.

“He is enjoying himself and having fun and getting a few kicks, but at the same time he has a lot to learn which is a part of being 18.”

The Northern Knights prospect first spent time at Richmond after the nnder-16 carnival and spent some Tuesday and Thursday nights there last year.

In December he completed another training block with the club, thrilled to be taken to lunch by Trent Cotchin and develop a relationship with Damien Hardwick.

“He had the two weeks there and loved it,” Chris Naish said.

“If it did fall that way he would be more familiar with some of his idols who he loves watching. “He loved training with Trent Cotchin and Dustin Martin and rubbing shoulders with some of the young guys.

“We still go as a family to watch, all four kids and my wife and I follow the Tigers, so no doubt it would be great (if they drafted him).”

Naish will play another game and a final for Ivanhoe Grammar then finish the TAC Cup season at the Northern Knights.

Chris Naish played for eight years at the Tigers then added 18 games in two years with Port Adelaide before working with the NBL and as the CFO of AFL SportsReady.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-yet-to-commit-to-selecting-son-of-former-forward-chris-naish-in-2017-draft/news-story/1376174adc32f4f15e2455df3720728d

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #309 on: July 07, 2017, 09:19:40 PM »
He is ours :clapping

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #310 on: July 07, 2017, 11:52:47 PM »
I would trade the 2 picks for a top 8 pick if it could be worked out and go after Jack Higgins then get Naish on the matched bid. 

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #311 on: July 08, 2017, 07:29:47 AM »

Just my opinion.

Plays hbf, wing, hff. Proven goal kicker. Proven defensively.

A 10-15 ranked pick we can snare for one of our picks which will probably be later.

Let free agency and the other pick address our second tall fwd option.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #312 on: July 08, 2017, 08:28:45 AM »

Just my opinion.

A 10-15 ranked pick we can snare for one of our picks which will probably be later.

He hasn't proven poo yet.
He wasn't ranked this high until the Champs, all of a sudden he is a first round pick?? I'm
sure if he wasn't the son of an ex player you wouldn't want us to draft him at pick 15 odd.
I wouldn't use a first round pick ever on a HBF, wingman or HFF.
Draft genuine mids or KPP and the wingman, HBF and HFF will take care of themselves.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #313 on: July 08, 2017, 09:41:52 AM »

Just my opinion.

He hasn't proven poo yet.
He wasn't ranked this high until the Champs, all of a sudden he is a first round pick?? I'm
sure if he wasn't the son of an ex player you wouldn't want us to draft him at pick 15 odd.
I wouldn't use a first round pick ever on a HBF, wingman or HFF.
Draft genuine mids or KPP and the wingman, HBF and HFF will take care of themselves.

Hes proven enough to be rated where he is. And i think we need damaging outside players with straight line penetration - run and carry with long kicking. We dont have enough of em.

Weve had a pretty good run with injuries but look at blokes like Hunt and Lloyd getting games. Naish could play either role and be more accountable.

To load up on talls with both of our first two picks and free agency would be foolish when theres only 1 spot available.

By all means grab a couple but Naish will be a very good player and fit well into outmr side.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #314 on: July 08, 2017, 11:58:28 AM »

- Gustav Mahler