Author Topic: Four quarters too many and one quarter not enough  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Four quarters too many and one quarter not enough
« on: May 24, 2004, 03:20:24 PM »
Some times, four quarters just aren’t enough, yet can be too much, all at the same time.  :-\

There I was Saturday night, looking forward to a reasonable game between us and Port, so I proceeded to tape the game.

As the first quarter unfolded, and even though it was only early on, the signs were not good.  Especially when there was a passage of play where a Port player had plenty of time to pick up a loose ball, go for a run and still no Tiger player was any where near him that was visible on the screen.

By the end of the first quarter things were definitely not good for us. So, I rewound the tape and taped the second quarter over the first quarter.  I mean, what rational thinking Richmond supporter would want to watch that quarter of football again?  It was painful enough the first time.

By the end of the second quarter, things were no better, even though we had managed to somehow score a goal.  So, again, I rewound the tape.

At the start of the third quarter I taped over the second quarter.  And even though we scored three goals for the term, somehow I just didn’t think that the Port camp would be shaking in their boots.  Again, I rewound the tape.

Fine, I thought.  Three quarters of football and not one good one amongst them.

I have no idea why, but I continued to tape the game and taped the fourth quarter over the top of the third quarter.  The margin was 49 points at three quarter time, or something like that.  And the only thing I had to cling on to was the thought of the 51 point turn around against Hawthorn last year.

The fact that it took us over a quarter to overtake them was immaterial and anyway, this was no time for technicalities.

As it turned out, the last quarter was no better than any of the three that had preceded it.  Ok, so what to do with a quarter of football that no one would want to watch, other than a Port supporter.

As illogical, inconceivable and impossible as five quarters is, the imagination is a wonderful thing and, Channel 10, in their infinite wisdom, this year introduced the “Fifth Quarter”.

However, by that stage of the game, my interest in all things football was well and truly non-existent and I felt that four quarters had been way too much and five quarters, while having the ability to erase the last traces of four quarters of a nightmare, could only be more of a bad thing.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 03:37:37 PM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Ox

Re: Four quarters too many and one quarter not enough
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 03:27:04 PM »
That's hilarious TS 
Richmond supporters over the years have developed
a twisted sense of humor.
Wonder why :o

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 04:11:41 PM »
lol TS   :D  :D  :D  (remind me to get a "rollin" emoticon).

I was at Bells Hotel in South Melbourne on Saturday night where they had the Tiges on the big screen then two normal TVs either side with the Geelong v Essendon and ACT brumbies games. Our game was so non-competitive, my eyes did wander off now and then to the other screens during the last quarter  :P.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 04:17:32 PM »
LMAOO at ruining a perfectly good tape.

Maybe if you could somehow edit all of our goals during the four quarters into a quarter that port kicked less than 50 points, then maybe you could watch a quarter that we actually won.......if you know what I mean. 

Did Port kick less than 50 points in a quarter ??

Or maybe you can edit the passages of the tigers play during the last quarter with Benny Hill music, and you will have champagne comedy.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 01:38:59 PM »
That's hilarious TS 
Richmond supporters over the years have developed
a twisted sense of humor.
Wonder why :o

After watching that game Ox, if I didn’t know before, I know now. :P

lol TS   :D  :D  :D  (remind me to get a "rollin" emoticon).

Our game was so non-competitive, my eyes did wander off now and then to the other screens during the last quarter  :P.

Can’t blame you for wandering off MT.  It was all I could do to stay interested.

By the way, here’s a reminder to get a “rollin” emoticon.  Whatever that is.  :-[  :-\  ;D

LMAOO at ruining a perfectly good tape.

No need to rub it in Harry H.  ;)

Maybe if you could somehow edit all of our goals during the four quarters into a quarter that port kicked less than 50 points, then maybe you could watch a quarter that we actually won.......if you know what I mean. 

Did Port kick less than 50 points in a quarter ??

Or maybe you can edit the passages of the tigers play during the last quarter with Benny Hill music, and you will have champagne comedy.

Not a bad idea Harry H.  Or, if I edit out all the bad bits and add the Benny Hill music to what’s left, I reckon I could come up with the shortest comedy sketch in the history of the universe.  :P

I wonder if the film industry has had the foresight to install an awards category for short films, made by supporters of a struggling team, with no patience, only a bit of humour, but lots of sarcasm?  :P :P :P
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

froars

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 02:57:46 PM »
A fifth quarter might have contained the press conference of Danny lol

Might be best if we just obliterate our minds of this game.

Bring on Weagles quick. 

Speaking of taping stuff - is there any way of converting video to DVD yet CHEAP - or even better FREE lol