Author Topic: Crouching Tigers take slow but steady path (Age)  (Read 2389 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Crouching Tigers take slow but steady path (Age)
« on: July 11, 2011, 03:48:21 AM »
Crouching Tigers take slow but steady path
Rohan Connolly
The Age
July 11, 2011 

NOT a Richmond defeat goes by without a stream of radio talkback callers venting their spleen, the audible anguish crackling the airwaves again after the Tigers' loss to Essendon on Saturday night.

You can understand it, particularly from the considerable band of Richmond fans aged in their 40s. They grew up following a powerhouse. Three decades of subsequent failure is a stark contrast. And the regular, unfulfilled promises of improvement have been a shocking tease.

But as another year for Richmond goes belly-up, it's not only the Tigers who need to take stock, but the faithful who follow them.

While one win from the past six games is some downturn considering Richmond sat outside the eight on percentage only after nine rounds, the baldest win-loss statistics tell only part of the story.

Here are the headlines. Richmond is a young side, clearly starting to struggle with the physical workload of a long season. The Tigers have a list still in the bottom half of the AFL purely for talent. They have glaring structural holes in the ruck and in defence. But all three issues can, and will, be addressed.

That's because Richmond now has solid foundations, as a team being built around a core of prodigiously talented midfielders who'll be there for the long haul. As will its coach. And its overseen by an administration that understands this is no quick fix.

Take the big-picture view and there's comfort to be drawn from the current malaise. Richmond isn't winning, but the thumping at the hands of Carlton last weekend and the rounds three and four losses to Collingwood and Hawthorn remain the only times all season the Tigers have been blown away - the average margin of the remaining seven losses just 24 points.

The key indicators in which Richmond was shining earlier this season haven't fallen away much, either. The Tigers are still ranked No. 2 for percentage of effective disposals, still ranked No. 3 for percentage of effective kicks, and have slipped only a little for other major statistical categories.

But a still-developing side doesn't need much to go wrong for its plans to be thrown out of whack and, in Richmond's case, not even necessarily involving the biggest names.

Dylan Grimes had very quickly made the Tigers' defence a far more organised and reliable proposition before ripping his hamstring from the bone in a desperate lunge as they beat Essendon first time around.

It looks pretty threadbare at the moment; Alex Rance having come on but Luke McGuane and Will Thursfield just marking time. Put a key defender on coach Damien Hardwick's post-season shopping list.

Not before a ruckman, though. That Richmond is desperate for one is patently obvious, the dominance of Essendon's Paddy Ryder in the second half a big factor in the Tigers' demise on Saturday night, the Tigers' apparent interest in North Melbourne's Hamish McIntosh only logical.

Angus Graham has gone backwards at a rate of knots. That Hardwick failed to select him for Saturday night in the current climate, even with Andrew Browne out injured, wasn't a ringing endorsement of his future prospects at Punt Road.

The ruck issue might go to the heart of some midfield problems, too. With the ground-level talent at its disposal, Richmond should be doing better around the stoppages. Instead, it's a comfortable last for clearance differentials.

But there'll be some ruckman available at the of this season. McIntosh could be one. Geelong's Mark Blake seems an obvious candidate, too. Defenders aren't falling out of trees, but David Astbury - out with a knee injury - appears a keeper and Grimes could be the defensive equivalent of a Dustin Martin or Trent Cotchin.

They're not massive changes to a list that still requires plenty of work but, for the first time in decades, doesn't require a complete overhaul.

It's about whether you choose to see the glass as half-full or half-empty, even in the face of a 100-point plus defeat, followed by a loss when your side has conceded the final 10 goals of the game.

Richmond has tried before to slap a quick coat of paint over a house built on dodgy stumping and paid a price. This is a slower build but using better materials and in time, even impatient supporters will be grateful for the extra care and time taken.

It's already been a 30-odd-year wait for Richmond. And a couple more for a result far more satisfying and that lasts a lot longer won't kill it.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/crouching-tigers-take-slow-but-steady-path-20110710-1h8wj.html#ixzz1Rj3hHjnY

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Crouching Tigers take slow but steady path (Age)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 06:56:56 AM »
Crap article

Far too much logic  :rollin :lol :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 07:25:06 AM »
Too much space between your first and last sentences there WP. I thought your second one was your sig and I didn't read it. I was about to give you a bit of stick over your first sentence. Thank goodness I quoted you and noticed your second or else I would have ended up looking like a real idiot.  ;D

:wallywink

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 07:57:53 AM »
I feel all warm and fuzzy
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 09:06:29 AM »
lol  don't you hate it when some bastard goes and rubs logic in your RAGE!!!
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 09:15:34 AM »
lol  don't you hate it when some bastard goes and rubs logic in your RAGE!!!

lol yep

Offline smasha

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 12:36:34 PM »
Crap article

HAHAHAHA.

Far too much logic  :rollin :lol :rollin

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 07:15:59 PM »
Too much space between your first and last sentences there WP. I thought your second one was your sig and I didn't read it. I was about to give you a bit of stick over your first sentence. Thank goodness I quoted you and noticed your second or else I would have ended up looking like a real idiot.  ;D

:wallywink

I re-read the article because I thought I had completely misinterpreted it.  Then I scrolled down to the end of his post................   :-[

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 08:31:16 PM »
Nice to see a rational post/article on these boards after a long period of tenuous rants and emotional eruptions. I have found it difficult to sift through the player abuse, coach defamation and administration incrimination, to find some measured comments. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to give players a wack when I feel they are deserving but when people start to question individuals worth with little or no evidence or on the base of one perceived action, it begins to rile me.

Far two much hot air, base humour and cases of 'Eatting Our Own' for my liking. I just hope we have a win this week to bring some sense back to the board once again.  :pray

As to the article, the hardest part for us all is this waiting. We can all see the promise there, we can all see the potential in individuals but its the frustration of being told to wait yet again that eats us all up....even if it makes complete sense.  :angel:

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 08:34:41 PM »
Nice to see a rational post/article on these boards after a long period of tenuous rants and emotional eruptions. I have found it difficult to sift through the player abuse, coach defamation and administration incrimination, to find some measured comments. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to give players a wack when I feel they are deserving but when people start to question individuals worth with little or no evidence or on the base of one perceived action, it begins to rile me.

Far two much hot air, base humour and cases of 'Eatting Our Own' for my liking. I just hope we have a win this week to bring some sense back to the board once again.  :pray

As to the article, the hardest part for us all is this waiting. We can all see the promise there, we can all see the potential in individuals but its the frustration of being told to wait yet again that eats us all up....even if it makes complete sense.  :angel:

Great post, Stripes.    :thumbsup
completely agree with you.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 08:35:02 PM »

Far two much hot air, base humour and cases of 'Eatting Our Own' for my liking. I just hope we have a win this week to bring some sense back to the board once again.  :prayAs to the article, the hardest part for us all is this waiting. We can all see the promise there, we can all see the potential in individuals but its the frustration of being told to wait yet again that eats us all up....even if it makes complete sense.  :angel:
Don't bet on that happening! It will be a meaningless win that costs us a decent player in the draft! :lol

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 08:38:07 PM »
Far two much hot air

Far three much for mine
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
Far two much hot air

Far three much for mine

I'm all four that too.  ;D

I'm sure that tanking talk will rear its ugly head now. I'm unsure which side of the fence I'll tumble over too this year. My patience is being tested after getting my hopes up this year.  :-\

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 08:46:25 PM »
Too much space between your first and last sentences there WP.

Done on purpose  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)