Author Topic: Champs or Wannabees??  (Read 2870 times)

Moi

Champs or Wannabees??
« on: April 30, 2005, 03:13:10 PM »
How many people here have played footy and, if so, at what level?
I'm a wannabee - only kicked a ball around when i was a kid - and then not too good.
And i got a chance to mark one of Richo's sprays that went out of bounds against Hawthorn - but i ducked and the ball hit the lady behind me  :rollin
I'm not much chop, but thought there might be a few who have played.

2JD

Re: Champs or Wannabees??
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 03:23:01 PM »
I played in a couple of games as a teenager, they were fund raising matches. I would be such a sook as a player, it hurts when you get flung to the ground :'( lol. One of the umpires we had was Essendons Ron Andrews, the other club knew someone who knew him and he was so biased towards the other club during the game that we chased him and pelted him with mud after the game. Never seen a tough guy look so scared lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 04:10:11 AM »
I'd reckon I've played 2 (yes two) actual real competitive games of footy in my whole life and that was when I was a kid. At primary school they didn't let you play against other schools until grade 5 and you weren't split into age groups (school team was grades 5 and 6 combined). We had one  ::)  intra-school game with no training sessions as our preparation. Then for some reason our inter-school comp was cut after only one game (we did get thumped by 15 goals to 1 lol and our coach couldn't give a stuff organizing training sessions midweek etc). Changed schools and played soccer in grade 6 which I'm much better at then for a change signed up for footy in year 7. Back then soccer numbers were low and they needed players so I was asked to play soccer instead which I happily did. And that was the end of my footy career :rollin apat from kick to kick. Might of also helped if I could actual take a mark away from my body and when I was a kid I totally sucked at handballing. Good thing about soccer - no arms  ;D. The only footy skills I can do really well is kick a torp without fail and I'm are pretty accurate kick on my left. Kick on my right though like a cross between Tivs and Duncan lol.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 01:55:09 PM »
Played under 12s and 14s every weekend for St.Peters Clayton
Played under 13s - 15s at Clayton Feds (Colonwood jumpers) - won flag in under 15s
Played under 16s @ Springvale YCW - Wom flag (Tripled Dandy souths score-lol)
Played under 17s Springvale VFA - Started band. - goodbye footy !

Runner up b&f, Best first year player, Most consistent, Best clubman.
LMAO

I wouldnt have made it in the big time.
I couldnt work out why smoking bongs stuffed up my Cardio ??

wannabe. :thumbsup
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 04:17:23 PM by fOx-)( »

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 06:57:26 PM »
Played from between the ages 10-15.

Clocked up 88 games.

Actually was quite good as a juniour, won best in the comp. in the Preston Disctrict Junior Football Association  a couple of times and came second once as well (lmfaoooo@only having 7 or 8 teams playing in it though).

I think Gary Moorcroft had won the award 3 times himself.

Got selected to play for the Northern Knights just as I was about to stop football and concentrate on studies. I think I could have been a VFL player at best and most likely a Diamond Valley scrapper.

Don't really regret stopping because I knew i wouldn't make it at the highest level and I wasn't willing to bust my knackers in the magoos.

Wannabe :thumbsup

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 01:18:07 AM »
Played up here in the state schools competition in Brisbane. Standard was very ordinary on the whole, some teams would have state (albeit only QLD) players and others would have a load of smackheads who wanted to crack some skulls but were not good enough for the rugby teams. By these low standards, was a decent FF, averaged 4 to 6 goals a game. Never had any coaching or tried to play club football, which is dissapointing, because footy was always the highlight of my week at school.

Wannabe  :thumbsup
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 09:19:08 PM by the_boy_jake »

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 02:58:12 AM »
My one and only senior game was for Punt Road End. LMAOOOO@MY DELUSION  :scream :scream :scream

Star Centre Half Forward. I kicked 3 goals...during the warm up.  ;D

Played little league for Essendon and Carlton at Princes Park when the games used to be from goal to goal, not wing to wing. Had the running skill of Ben Marsh and the kicking skills of Tony Shaw.

Wannabe  :thumbsup
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 02:59:55 AM by Fwoy3 »
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Ox

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 11:09:41 AM »
Played from between the ages 10-15.

Clocked up 88 games.

Actually was quite good as a juniour, won best in the comp. in the Preston Disctrict Junior Football Association  a couple of times and came second once as well (lmfaoooo@only having 7 or 8 teams playing in it though).

I think Gary Moorcroft had won the award 3 times himself.

Got selected to play for the Northern Knights just as I was about to stop football and concentrate on studies. I think I could have been a VFL player at best and most likely a Diamond Valley scrapper.

Don't really regret stopping because I knew i wouldn't make it at the highest level and I wasn't willing to bust my knackers in the magoos.

Wannabe :thumbsup

Thats great mate  :thumbsup

Offline Piping Shrike

• Premiership Captain
  • Nothing today
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 02:36:54 PM »
I'm a triple bronlow medallist, played 547 games and won 12 premierships of my own boot. :cheers

Outside of dreamland I played junior at primary school and up to form 4 at high school. Mostly at full back, cos you at least got to kick out, although sometimes ruck and CHF. At that point they stopped organising games for the 2nds - said they forgot (LOL), but really they just didn't care if you weren't going to make the senior team.

I also played 3/4 years as a junior with the mighty East Ringwood Bluebirds - who are no longer the bluebirds. Lots of fun, especially when you played at Warrandyte in mud a foot deep (though East Ringwood no2 oval wasn't much better). Lost a bit of interest when me and a mate kept getting put into the next age bracket to cover player shortages. Imagine - going from CHF in the under 10s to half back flank in the under 12s, where's the glory in that?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 02:43:28 PM »
Played a couple of games when I was youngster.

I am neither a champ, a wannabe or even a has been

I am just a "never was"  ;D

:bow
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 03:34:23 PM »
I received my first footy when I was 3 from a great aunt - it was a Ross Faulkner one.  In primary school I used to be able to take great chest marks.  Then puberty hit.  In Year 9 I actually did History of Sport and the teacher bent the rules, making it fairer for the girls but still competitive for the boys.  I played on the wing.  Last time I actually played was a couple of years ago - parents vs kids at Auskick.  A rather large Aboriginal girl jumped on my foot and sent me hobbling.  :scream   I had a couple of shots of goals but like my hero, confused the goal witcheshat for the point one. :lol :help

Definitely a wannabe :-\

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005, 05:29:06 PM »
Yes, well I don’t want to embarrass everyone with the football ability I’ve never had. :'(  I got the hint early that my sporting ability didn’t really exist and it was no good me going and looking for it either. :rollin :P

As for footy ability, I was hit on the head by a wayward football at primary school once, which could explain a few things.  Does that count?  Maybe not.  :P

Now that I think about it, I got hit smack bang just above the eyes by a softball at high school as well. :-[  Yeah I know, ha ha.

Don’t suppose school hockey counts for much, which I might’ve been ok at, :o if I actually knew what I was doing out there. 

That’s enough embarrassment for anyone. :help
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2005, 03:34:00 PM »
My one and only senior game was for Punt Road End. LMAOOOO@MY DELUSION  :scream :scream :scream

Star Centre Half Forward. I kicked 3 goals...during the warm up.  ;D Wannabe  :thumbsup

It was about my third footy game...and like FWOY i starred - not :lol :lol! I was the Duncan Kellaway of the side, couldn't kick or handball, but was quite courageous (or just plain stupid).

Definitely a wannabee :thumbsup