Author Topic: Movies  (Read 63943 times)

Gigantor

Re: Movies
« Reply #210 on: January 04, 2015, 11:05:29 AM »
Off to the Classic once again last night and saw the" Immitation game"
The story is of odd ball Alan Turing who leads a small team that cracks the NAZI enigma code during WW2.The movie spends a great deal of time looking into the life of the very eccentric Alan Turing.
Overall it was an enjoyable movie which shed some light on a part of the war that I really didn't know much about and which in the end helped shorten WW2 by about 2 years.
I give this

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #211 on: January 04, 2015, 10:43:46 PM »
G have you seen the movie "Enigma"? if so how did this one compare considering they are pretty much the same story.

Gigantor

« Reply #212 on: January 05, 2015, 08:40:20 PM »
HI Tiga
sorry I haven't seen the movie Enigma..When was it released?

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #213 on: January 05, 2015, 11:53:11 PM »
2001 G. Starred Kate Winslet and Dougray Scott.

Gigantor

« Reply #214 on: January 11, 2015, 10:01:07 AM »
Off to the classic again last night to see Birdman starring Michael Keaton,Emma stone,edward Norton,Naomi watts,and Zach galifinakis..
I don't even know where to begin with this movie.The story is about a movie actor who is trying to recapture his glory days by going to broadway to do a play.
The movie looks at the internal angst of these people as well as exploring issues like stardom,etc
The movie was  hard to follow on occasions(for me ) because it would drift off into the surreal .Most reviewers have classified it as a dark comedy and I think that's probably an appropriate  heading to slot it under.
I did find the acting of all the above amazing to be honest and that's what kept my interest level going for the almost 2 hours of the movie
I give it

Gigantor

« Reply #215 on: January 18, 2015, 12:04:46 PM »
Went to the Cameo cinema last night in Belgrave and watched the aussie movie "paper planes"
It had  a few unknowns playing significant roles but also one of the Worthington boys,Terry Noris,David Wenham ,and debrah mailman.
The movie revolves around a young lad from the outback who eventually ends up participating in the "world junior paper plane " championship.
The movie was more so for children .Despite this fact I found it to be well crap.the story appeared all over the shop and very thin.
I would give this

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #216 on: January 18, 2015, 02:36:43 PM »
I hope you didn't go in with high hopes, that movie has crap written all over it

Gigantor

« Reply #217 on: January 18, 2015, 04:17:51 PM »
Yeahright...I actually thought it might be one those aussie quiet  achievers..How wrong I was...it was just plain awful....Live and learn i guess..I have now lumped aussie movies next to French movies......tread with care..lol

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #218 on: January 24, 2015, 08:18:19 PM »
Well last night I went and saw American Sniper and it was fantastic. It was a good mix of drama and action. Brad cooper was outstanding as Chris Kyle. I personally saw it as an anti-war movie as it truly depicted the horror of War and the impact it has on returning soldiers and their families. Its a long film running for 2 hours 20 minutes but its worth every minute. A must see.
I can't say much more without spoilers.

I give it

Gigantor

« Reply #219 on: January 25, 2015, 08:28:05 PM »
Just saw "WILD"with Reece Witherspoon.The movie involves a troubled soul played by Reece embarking on walking trek along  what they call the pacific Crest trail.Its a form of catharsis for her and to signify a new beginning.
Loved this movie and the message it was trying to send,also some great scenic views along the way.
I give this

Gigantor

« Reply #220 on: February 01, 2015, 08:52:44 AM »
Off to the Classic again last night. I saw the documentary "Night will fall".
This movie with input from Alfred Hitchcock,and narrated by Helen Bonham carter shows the hours and days immediately after allied troops entered the various concentration camps across Europe which the Nazis ran.As one reviewer commented its a movie which you can only see once such are the horrible images,but every person should see it once,and that's exactly how I feel about it.It shows right there on the big screen to what depths man can sink to.a truly horrific movie but so true.A reminder to us all as we see the rise of racism across the globe today.I give it

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #221 on: February 01, 2015, 10:14:40 AM »
Sounds brilliant Gigantor.

Gigantor

« Reply #222 on: February 08, 2015, 12:34:33 AM »
Hey Tiga went and saw American sniper last night and couldn't  agree more with you,an absolutely brilliant movie..worth every Bill Collins you gave it

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #223 on: February 10, 2015, 03:25:01 PM »
Hey Tiga went and saw American sniper last night and couldn't  agree more with you,an absolutely brilliant movie..worth every Bill Collins you gave it
Yep a top film indeed. I think Angus was going to see it also.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #224 on: February 13, 2015, 08:35:20 PM »
yeah, very good film. The trial of the bloke who shot him started the other day.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI