Author Topic: Richmond vs Carlton - round 1, 2013  (Read 149858 times)

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Re: Richmond vs Carlton - round 1, 2013
« Reply #555 on: March 29, 2013, 11:27:16 AM »
Oh glorious day!
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Ruanaidh

« Reply #556 on: March 29, 2013, 11:28:07 AM »
I agree with Mighty Tiges, they got away with a lot of throwing, tackles not paid against em, outright dropping the ball particularly early on in that run when they clawed back in the last quarter and the score line flatters them.  This game has been the biggest thorn in our paw for years, the thorn is out, sky is the limit.
Agree, just watched the last term again and we were reamed by the Umps.

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #557 on: March 29, 2013, 11:33:11 AM »
Mollison = Tiger trouble

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #558 on: March 29, 2013, 11:39:56 AM »
Happy to get the four points.
Luck in the end was ours.
Martin for fe was sensational in the last few minutes.
As I said happy to beat the scum.
Ran out of puff but that 2nd quarter was the best quarter of footy I have seen from a Tigervside in many years. Time to refocus and reinvigorate for next week. Bring on the boys from Franga next week.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #559 on: March 29, 2013, 11:51:56 AM »
Geez wee pooed ourselves again in the last, but i'll take a falling over the line win over a loss everyday of the week. As my brother pointed out, it makes it a bit sweeter seeing the scum supporters get their hopes up and getting all excited only to be totally deflated.

Early in the game carlton managed to split us open a number of times, simpson in particular was finding space, but we managed to shut this down. It was particularily satisfying to see carlton struggle to move the ball forward, while listening to the scum supporters behind us constantly moaning about how easily we were moving the ball out of defense.

Ive been an advocate for grithiffs down back, but from what i saw last night, i would have to agree with the comments about him not being a natural backman. He does ok in pack situations, but one on one he would often be in the wrong position allowing his opponent easy marks. He also seems to lack the ability to make the late spoil, somthing all good backmen can do.

Chaplin, i thought, was important. He takes controll of the backline and in the third when the filth kicked three quick goals he settled the players around him, pointing out what they should be doing and providing that experienced calming influence that we have lacked when the opposition get a run on. When he went off injured early in last it coincided with carlton really getting on top of us.

I liked the way the 'softie' hit the packs, specially when robinson got sorted out.

Jackson was ok last night. I can tolerate that sort of performance, but he will always be slow of mind. I think it is just a pipe dream that someone like arnot can push him out, but if guys can put pressure on with consitent performance at coburg .......... perhaps ...........

Nice to travel the length of the country to beat the filth, for a change.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #560 on: March 29, 2013, 11:56:40 AM »
My funniest moment was after a mcgaune goal. 2ndQ

Lucas got his strut on. Thought he was Wayne Carey for a while there.

dwaino

« Reply #561 on: March 29, 2013, 11:57:08 AM »
Carlton on their first step to 0-5  :cheers

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #562 on: March 29, 2013, 11:57:53 AM »
Love how the boys run out of gatorade and just start pegging bottles at Chappy.  :lol :clapping

At his head after he was ko'd  :cheers

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #563 on: March 29, 2013, 12:00:22 PM »

Did you bag the in laws
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #564 on: March 29, 2013, 12:01:40 PM »

Yes yes yes. :lol :rollin :lol

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #565 on: March 29, 2013, 12:10:22 PM »
I don't care about anything apart from beating the scum
I love Jackson Nahas all of them

We beat the scum

That's all I'm peeed

:cheers

What an amazing second quarter. And to the Carlton fan in the AFL members that was losing his poo at every free kick. "suffer mate"  :lol
:lol which one?
Wernt near m23 by any chance?

Its not just opposition supporters who believe that only their team should get free kicks...

The umps sure helped  the Carlton comeback along in the last qtr though  ::)  :banghead. McGuane's free near the end is the only one I remember us getting in the last quarter whereas the Blues got everything. I thought the throw-in rule was the ruckman only got pinged for deliberate if he punches the ball out of bounds on the full? Then there was Judd's two-handed throw standing up in the tackle, Joseph taking possession and then waiting to be tackled while making no attempt to get rid of the footy, plus the numerous run-down tackles that were called play on despite the Carlton just simply dropping the ball while the one time it happened to us it was given holding the ball  ::). Almost caused a riot in the Ponsford when the latter one happened.

We had the better of the umpiring most of the night. I still cant work out how morris ( i think) got the free kick when he hit betts front on in a marking contest.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #566 on: March 29, 2013, 12:11:07 PM »
Yep Chappy is an important part of the puzzle down back for sure, thought he provided a lot of steadiness down there.  Griffs looks like a giant that needs to be be leading up and sending that ball deep, not playing from behind and trying to chip out of defence...it was bizarre to watch.., he is a forward no two ways about it.  The other thing I didn't like to see was, and I know he had an alright game, but McGuane spoiling in the forward line down to Carlton players instead of trying to mark, especially early on, drove me nuts.

Al, I thought the umpiring was ok most of the night, they let a lot of stuff slide which was actually ok coz it was iffy, fourth quarter I thought they were letting a lot of throwing go though, and not paying tackles, to me, tackles, and throwing are important aspects otherwise we aren't playing football and rewarding effort.
Lots of people name their swords......

Rampstar

« Reply #567 on: March 29, 2013, 12:16:24 PM »
Having just watched the replay again  the reality is we were leading pretty comfortably with about 10 minutes to go. Maric made 2 big mistakes that cost us goals. 1) He dropped a mark in our defensive Goalsquare and they kicked a goal 2) At a ruck contest he tapped the ball straight down to a Carlton player from which they got goal, maybe a hit away from the contest would have cleared the area. Carlton also got extremely lucky with atleast 1 kick into there 50 which fell into the arms of a Carlton player from which I think they goaled. We on the other hand had a couple of opportunities at about the same time to kick goals but missed. Some of these things made the difference to it being a close game. On reflection with a bit of luck we should have won by more so it was good to get the 4 points anyway.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #568 on: March 29, 2013, 12:22:12 PM »
Was a fantastic win.

Hopefully from a "mental strength" side of things it will instill some much need belief

I thought we were good for 1 1/2 quarters and we were diabolical for the first 15 minutes of the game and the last half. Every club in the comp will fancy their chances against us even if we are well infront. We still need 1 or 2 superstars to become a decent outfit.

I agree with the first 15 minutes, thought we were flat and lost. reckon the 2nd qtr was some of the best footy with regard to defensive pressure and attack at the footy I've seen for a long time. Thought the 3rd qtr was OK but Carlton got some soft goals from just stupid over use of handball in the back half. And the last qtr was definitely diabolical. Carlton should never been allowed to get back into the contest. Smart coaching by the Silver Fox though, throwing all his runners in the middle or across half back. Sliced us up big time. Was surprised whe they got within 3-4 goals we didn't throw Lids, Cotch and Tuck in the middle at the same time

The umps sure helped  the Carlton comeback along in the last qtr though  ::)  :banghead. McGuane's free near the end is the only one I remember us getting in the last quarter whereas the Blues got everything. I thought the throw-in rule was the ruckman only got pinged for deliberate if he punches the ball out of bounds on the full?

Based on the way I understand the rule I thought the Maric decision was 100% correct, yes if it goes out on the full it's a free kick but in that case it was clear his sole intent was to get it over the line so it was a free. Actually all me needed was one Tiger player to touch it and it would have been another throw in
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #569 on: March 29, 2013, 12:25:14 PM »
Having just watched the replay again  the reality is we were leading pretty comfortably with about 10 minutes to go. Maric made 2 big mistakes that cost us goals. 1) He dropped a mark in our defensive Goalsquare and they kicked a goal 2) At a ruck contest he tapped the ball straight down to a Carlton player from which they got goal, maybe a hit away from the contest would have cleared the area. Carlton also got extremely lucky with atleast 1 kick into there 50 which fell into the arms of a Carlton player from which I think they goaled. We on the other hand had a couple of opportunities at about the same time to kick goals but missed. Some of these things made the difference to it being a close game. On reflection with a bit of luck we should have won by more so it was good to get the 4 points anyway.

i thought the same thing.

Thought Nahas should have come on a bit earlier as it was obvious we were running out of legs.  But watching Dennis able to chase him down running down the wing late was a worry.  Nahas was being caught at a rate of knots and he did his stupid little dinky outside of the boot kick that went along the ground. was disappointed with that effort after coming on with fresh legs.  Still no left foot.