Author Topic: Dustin Martin is playing Scully and Trengove on a break (Herald-Sun)  (Read 2846 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin is playing Scully and Trengove on a break (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 09:49:12 AM »
didnt help that they were more interested in losing games to gain early draft picks rather than teaching the kids they had how to play football in a way that will win you games.

Possibly but the bigger issue is most definitely in the lack of development in the draftees you tanked to get into the club in the first place.

So I'll ask the obvious question - how do you develop kids when you're trying to lose?

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 10:03:05 AM »
It's a similar principle as to how the TARDIS is bigger on the inside than the outside.

I believe its called the law of fantasy.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 12:56:55 PM »
We have been here before so I'm not proposing we have the same arguement again.
All I am saying is that the development of young players is paramount in a club filled with youth.
Melbourne, Port Power, Gold Coast and GWS all are clubs filled with lots of young talent.

How that talent got there is one debate, how they develop it is another.

For me, how they got the the club is less important than how they develop them over the next few years.

If that thinking is fanciful, then I'm clicking my heels and going to Kansas!
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 12:59:00 PM »
We have been here before so I'm not proposing we have the same argument again.

Why not?  It was fun.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2014, 12:59:20 PM »
didnt help that they were more interested in losing games to gain early draft picks rather than teaching the kids they had how to play football in a way that will win you games.

Possibly but the bigger issue is most definitely in the lack of development in the draftees you tanked to get into the club in the first place.

So I'll ask the obvious question - how do you develop kids when you're trying to lose?

Collingwood and hawthorn won the flag after tanking

So there goes your theory

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2014, 01:01:19 PM »

Go look at our VFL score, that's how... :whistle
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2014, 01:09:28 PM »
We have been here before so I'm not proposing we have the same arguement again.
All I am saying is that the development of young players is paramount in a club filled with youth.
Melbourne, Port Power, Gold Coast and GWS all are clubs filled with lots of young talent.

How that talent got there is one debate, how they develop it is another.

For me, how they got the the club is less important than how they develop them over the next few years.

If that thinking is fanciful, then I'm clicking my heels and going to Kansas!

Yep, but it was one of the main reasons I was against tanking right from the start - you can't develop kids properly in a side that is being coached to lose.  You can develop them in a scenario like our reserves because the structures are set up how they need to be, the players are being taught the skills they will need to succeed and the intent to win will always be there, so the development should (will) happen regardless of the outcome but when a side is deliberately being restructured and compromised to engineer a loss then only a kid with rare natural talent will be able to overcome that and grow to his full potential. 

And sliding off on a tangent (slightly), what are everyone's thoughts on chasing Trengrove at the end of the season?  I know he still has another year of his contract to go but trades can always be done to satisfy all parties.  He's young, has talent and might just be a bit jaded with the whole MFC scene after being thrown to the wolves as co-skipper a couple of years back and now can't get a game.  I reckon he would come on leaps and bounds under Choco.

Thoughts?

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 01:11:31 PM »

Ah, we're trying to lose are we?  1 game in and the sky has come crashing down on you again WAT.  Must be a sad environment to live in where instant gratification is the only measure of things.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2014, 01:14:08 PM »

Ah, we're trying to lose are we?  1 game in and the sky has come crashing down on you again WAT.  Must be a sad environment to live in where instant gratification is the only measure of things.

Well we sure as stuff aren't trying to win....Must be great living in the land of sunshine and lollypops..
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2014, 01:16:25 PM »
Do Thomas Penders Lewis roughed franklin have medals? Tanking wouldn't work. Better to come 9th

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2014, 01:18:20 PM »

Well we sure as stuff aren't trying to win....Must be great living in the land of sunshine and lollypops..

WAT do yourself a favour and get to a couple of our VFL games, go to the 1/4 & 3/4 time huddle and actually listen to what the line coaches , players & Clarke say, you may well change your thinking

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2014, 01:19:58 PM »
i see that we are back to the old chestnut that every team except richmond that finished last did so because they tanked  :lol

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2014, 01:20:15 PM »
Does that override the score board?

Do we even have a younger reserves than footscracy?

Ah al. You and vlad right. Tanking has never existed

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2014, 01:28:55 PM »
i see you have been to the george bush school of if you arent with us you must be against us.

what was it called when clubs finished last before the draft?

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2014, 01:33:07 PM »
Why do the Nba have a lottery?