Author Topic: Dustin Martin is playing Scully and Trengove on a break (Herald-Sun)  (Read 2852 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
DUSTIN MARTIN IS PLAYING SCULLY AND TRENGOVE ON A BREAK

Jon Ralph - The Buzz
Herald-Sun
April 17, 2013

At Richmond in about December, the 2009 national draft's No.3 selection Dustin Martin looked headed for the scrapheap if he did not rapidly pull his head in.

It is not an exaggeration to say the could would have traded or off-loaded him if he continued his erratic behaviour, and Martin heard the message loud and clear.

Three weeks into the AFL season, it is hard not to revisit that comparison against the two players taken ahead of him and wonder what the hell happened?

Martin is flying - fresh off 10 votes from the coaches against the Western Bulldogs - while Tom Scully and Jack Trengove are stuck in football's version of quicksand.

Martin is another player who with strong development, strong talent and the guiding hand of the club’s new development guru in Mark "Chocko" Williams has found a way to thrive.

It is no surprise the Tigers are flying up the charts when you consider they have nailed their recent high draft picks in Martin, Brett Deledio, Trent Cotchin and Reece Conca, with Brandon Ellis, Nick Vlastuin and Ty Vickery surely on the right track.

At least Scully has all that money to comfort him, but he doesn't have a lot of possessions.

He had just three against St Kilda at hal time, at a time when the Greater Western Sydney leaders just had to stand up.

Callan Ward certainly did - he got two coaches' votes - and while Scully was the highly-paid acquisition, it's still hard to think GWS got bang for their buck.

GWS bosses believe we are picking on Scully, and maybe we did at times in the last two years.

But on sheer objective figures - he is averaging 15 possessions, hasn't kicked a goal, and is ranked ninth on Champion Data points of the GWS mids to play all three games - it is unquestionable he is a disappointment despite that extremely surprising fourth place in the B&F last year.

The good news for Melbourne?

The Dees effectively traded him for Jack Viney and Jesse Hogan, who both look stars of the future.

The bad news? The greatest player who ever lived doesn't rate the bloke selected behind Scully - Jack Trengove - and has fears for Viney's career too despite his impressive start to the year.

In the post-match review on Saturday afternoon on 3AW, Leigh Matthews voiced his concern about 2009 pick 2 Trengove's development.

He is coming off a serious foot injury which clearly has contributed to just 27 touches in two games, but Matthews was surely assessing his disappointing 2012 season too.

''On Jack Trengove, when he first came in he looked a really capable young player,'' Matthews said.

''He was drafted high with Scully, but he's just become really pedestrian all of a sudden. He just looks average. He is not getting a lot of the footy but he's not able to do a lot with it either. Jack Viney is interesting. You have a reservoir of confidence when you come into footy. He has still got that so he's still attacking the footy.

''On the history of what's happened at Melbourne recently you worry about what's going to be his progression if it it's such a battle every time he goes out to play, and what it does to his confidence and therefore his performance.''

Some critical Melbourne fans have already begun comparing Jimmy Toumpas and his diminishing returns to Ollie Wines.

Yet that is surely way too premature.

Toumpas started off brightly but after possession tallies of nine, six and then three against West Coast, he is still finding the pace of the game, as Demons legend Garry Lyon accurately assessed on Saturday.

The Demons overlooked Wines for Toumpas, with Wines falling all the way to pick seven.

Wines looks a superstar in every way, but the Demons must be given time for Toumpas to find his feet.

As Martin showed, these comparisons can change rapidly.

We scoffed when Brock McLean was traded for the pick that became Jordan Gysberts, with the new Blue left in the reserves.

Now McLean is a regular and Gysberts isn't even at Melbourne.

More bad news - the Demons used that pick for Cameron Pedersen, who has singularly failed to inspire.

Now the Demons just have to ride their luck with Trengove, Viney, Hogan,Toumpas and Pedersen, and hope that like Dusty Martin in December, the darkest hour is before the dawn.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/the-buzz-footys-fairytale-club-includes-sam-rowe-mark-blicavs-and-jamie-elliott/story-fnelctok-1226621778178

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Dustin Martin is playing Scully and Trengove on a break (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 09:02:38 AM »

It is not an exaggeration to say the could would have traded or off-loaded him...

What?!?!

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

gerkin greg

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 09:45:45 AM »
 :lol

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 09:57:14 AM »

It is not an exaggeration to say the could would have traded or off-loaded him...

What?!?!

That sentence (for lack of a better word) really stuffed up my ability to read the article. Completely through me off my game. Old crayons at 5 paces is at it again.

No they didn't get Hogan and Viney for Scully you clag sniffer. They got pick 4 & 13. Which was Toumpas & downgraded to the pick to get Dawes and Barry.

dwaino

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 10:14:36 AM »
On ya Ralphy  :clapping

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 10:17:51 AM »

That sentence (for lack of a better word) really stuffed up my ability to read the article. Completely through me off my game. Old crayons at 5 paces is at it again.

No they didn't get Hogan and Viney for Scully you clag sniffer.

:lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 09:14:55 PM »
Melbourne doing really well out of the 2009 draft after having the first two picks  :wallywink. Overlooked Dusty in the draft, Scully gonski to GWS and now Trengove dropped out of the side by Roos. Well they do say things happen in threes  ;D.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-04/round-three-teams

The kid should get out of there before the Dees totally destroy his footy career.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 09:32:12 PM »
They were talented kids but they have run their confidence into the ground and haven't developed them properly or had good support around them.  We went through it. 
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 09:36:13 PM »
Melbourne doing really well out of the 2009 draft after having the first two picks  :wallywink. Overlooked Dusty in the draft, Scully gonski to GWS and now Trengove dropped out of the side by Roos. Well they do say things happen in threes  ;D.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-04/round-three-teams

The kid should get out of there before the Dees totally destroy his footy career.

Melbourne is a perfect example of the incredible importance of player development and the money to invest in your football department. I don't believe Trengrove was a terrible choice but rather has been terribly developed and has matured in a poor culture with no leaders to protect and guide his journey. The Tigers were on a very similar path for decades before Benny Gale changed that with a unified direction and money to invest and support the coaches/players. I feel sorry for them. It will take more than a good coach to turn their fortunes around.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 09:37:14 PM »
They were talented kids but they have run their confidence into the ground and haven't developed them properly or had good support around them.  We went through it.

As they say - 'Great minds...' owl  :cheers

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »
Damn straight.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 10:32:34 PM »
didnt help that they were more interested in losing games to gain early draft picks rather than teaching the kids they had how to play football in a way that will win you games.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 10:41:34 PM »
Injuries.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 08:10:12 AM »
didnt help that they were more interested in losing games to gain early draft picks rather than teaching the kids they had how to play football in a way that will win you games.

Possibly but the bigger issue is most definitely in the lack of development in the draftees you tanked to get into the club in the first place.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 09:47:31 AM »

Got nothing to do with how you develop kids Al, it's all about the draft picks.  C'mon, you know better than that.   :whistle