Author Topic: Trent Cotchin on "On the Couch" Mon 22/4/2013  (Read 6947 times)

dwaino

Re: Trent Cotchin on "On the Couch" Mon 22/4/2013
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 10:04:07 PM »
Mentioned they didn't train as well going into the round. Maybe next time no crap gimmicks like Potbellies.

Potbellies have nothing to do with training. Their song is on The Jeep adds.

How about train well and don't read the hype conduct intervies for everyone and let the footy that got us to the big game do the talking when playing the big game.

That might help also. :thumbsup

Did you watch it? He said the leadership group got together today and agreed that training last week was not at the level it had been the week before. The final training session last week was a light one and full carnival atmosphere complete with live tunes (regardless whether it was to do with the sponsors or not). No two ways about it. You won't see any of that crap at Essendon's or Collingwood's training this week.

Potbellies playing pre game on Saturday didn't Dwaino. :thumbsup

Club will live and learn and shouldn't make the same pre game big game errors again media wise.

As for training well the old adage states you play the same way you train. :shh

Point completely missed, but glad to see you understand and agreed with what I said in the rest of it.  :thumbsup

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 10:06:06 PM »
Mentioned they didn't train as well going into the round. Maybe next time no crap gimmicks like Potbellies.

Potbellies have nothing to do with training. Their song is on The Jeep adds.

How about train well and don't read the hype conduct intervies for everyone and let the footy that got us to the big game do the talking when playing the big game.

That might help also. :thumbsup

Did you watch it? He said the leadership group got together today and agreed that training last week was not at the level it had been the week before. The final training session last week was a light one and full carnival atmosphere complete with live tunes (regardless whether it was to do with the sponsors or not). No two ways about it. You won't see any of that crap at Essendon's or Collingwood's training this week.

Potbellies playing pre game on Saturday didn't Dwaino. :thumbsup

Club will live and learn and shouldn't make the same pre game big game errors again media wise.

As for training well the old adage states you play the same way you train. :shh

Point completely missed, but glad to see you understand and agreed with what I said in the rest of it.  :thumbsup

All good pal. :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 10:50:48 PM »
For those without Pay TV what else did they ask Cotch about and what did he say?

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 11:03:32 PM »
Asked about lessons learned, said the standards leading into the game weren't as good as previous.

Gerard Healy says that it staggers him training standards were low in such a big week. Cotchin said probably a hindsight thing.

Asked if coach was angry, Cotchin said no, didn't dominate the areas they wanted to and have reviewed.

Asked how they work out who plays on Swan and Pendlebury. Said he was going to have Pendlebury at stoppage, Pendlebury went to him and Delideo and threw spanner in works. Delideo was to go with Swan. Felt at half time they were going ok.

Showed some footage of Collingwood spread and how well they do it. Cotchin called it rolling the dice, backing guys to win footy and running forward.

Another bit of footage, Cotchin and Swan together at bounce, then Swan loses him and gets touches. Asked if Swan is one of the hardest runners, Cotchin said he is smart and knows the space to go to and sometimes doesn't chase. Feels like he has a bit of snobbery towards Collingwood midfield.

Asked about midfielders he rates. Raves about Ablett then mentions Selwood.

Sheahan asks about Rance on Cloke and not Chaplin, Walls agreed. Cotchin said defenders had option of putting hands up an taking a challenge and Rance wanted to as he was disappointed in early performance. Before halftime thought Rance was good but no support from midfield.

Asked if he prefers Chaplin at half back rather than last line, said he is a good drop off player, probably want him on lesser player.

Asked if he has say in selection, said leadership group give opinions, up to coaches.

Asked about Vlaustin, said he has been playing well, clean hands etc... will play soon. Also said good leader even at pre season training camps.

Asked about Captaincy. Loves extra on field responsibility and added pressure to perform. Said he is good at 'pressing flesh' with sponsors etc....

Asked if he has a pair of slippers, said he does but they are Peter Alexander.

Asked about Dustin and his drop off after halftime. Asked how long it took him to build a tank he said only last year he felt confident and still hard. Reality is for Dustin needs lot of rotations to keep him fresh and they have to do that.

Asked about Ty Vickery, said a lot of people don't realise how much of a team role he plays, making space and blocking etc... Still developing.

Pretty quick segment I felt, not much depth.
Overall I would say he was smooth and spoke well, I still find him a little fake and wooden, bit too clean for my liking.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

gerkin greg

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 12:01:18 AM »
When you've achieved sweet FA in footy, best to play it squeaky clean and check the personality at the door

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 03:13:19 AM »
Asked about lessons learned, said the standards leading into the game weren't as good as previous.

Gerard Healy says that it staggers him training standards were low in such a big week. Cotchin said probably a hindsight thing.

Asked if coach was angry, Cotchin said no, didn't dominate the areas they wanted to and have reviewed.

Asked how they work out who plays on Swan and Pendlebury. Said he was going to have Pendlebury at stoppage, Pendlebury went to him and Delideo and threw spanner in works. Delideo was to go with Swan. Felt at half time they were going ok.

Showed some footage of Collingwood spread and how well they do it. Cotchin called it rolling the dice, backing guys to win footy and running forward.

Another bit of footage, Cotchin and Swan together at bounce, then Swan loses him and gets touches. Asked if Swan is one of the hardest runners, Cotchin said he is smart and knows the space to go to and sometimes doesn't chase. Feels like he has a bit of snobbery towards Collingwood midfield.

Asked about midfielders he rates. Raves about Ablett then mentions Selwood.

Sheahan asks about Rance on Cloke and not Chaplin, Walls agreed. Cotchin said defenders had option of putting hands up an taking a challenge and Rance wanted to as he was disappointed in early performance. Before halftime thought Rance was good but no support from midfield.

Asked if he prefers Chaplin at half back rather than last line, said he is a good drop off player, probably want him on lesser player.

Asked if he has say in selection, said leadership group give opinions, up to coaches.

Asked about Vlaustin, said he has been playing well, clean hands etc... will play soon. Also said good leader even at pre season training camps.

Asked about Captaincy. Loves extra on field responsibility and added pressure to perform. Said he is good at 'pressing flesh' with sponsors etc....

Asked if he has a pair of slippers, said he does but they are Peter Alexander.

Asked about Dustin and his drop off after halftime. Asked how long it took him to build a tank he said only last year he felt confident and still hard. Reality is for Dustin needs lot of rotations to keep him fresh and they have to do that.

Asked about Ty Vickery, said a lot of people don't realise how much of a team role he plays, making space and blocking etc... Still developing.

Pretty quick segment I felt, not much depth.
Overall I would say he was smooth and spoke well, I still find him a little fake and wooden, bit too clean for my liking.
Cheers for that TBR  :cheers  :thumbsup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond defender Alex Rance put his hand up for the Travis Cloke task

Sam Landsberger
    April 22, 2013 11:52PM

IT was Alex Rance's call to take on Collingwood gorilla Travis Cloke, with the young Tiger determined to prove himself on the big stage.

Football experts have wondered why Troy Chaplin, the experienced full-back Richmond signed from Port Adelaide last October, didn’t match up on Cloke, who proved the difference with a devastating seven-goal haul on Saturday.

But Richmond captain Trent Cotchin revealed Rance, 23, asked for Cloke when the Tigers’ defence met to discuss the Pies last week.

“Obviously Rancey had been disappointed with his performances in previous weeks and wanted to show that he was capable of taking on one of the best key forwards in the competition,” Cotchin told Fox Footy’s On The Couch.

“We thought it was a fantastic thing that he wanted to put his hand up.

“I think before halftime he’d done a relatively good job considering our pressure wasn’t up to the standard in the midfield.”

Rance has suffered a tough start to 2013, with Liam Jones booting a career-best four goals against the priority pick in Round 3.

And Cotchin revealed that while the Tigers started favourites against the Pies, their training standards last week foreshadowed a dip in performance.

“It was a big build up. We thought we were ready, but even looking back to our training we probably didn’t have the standards we had leading into other games,” hr said.

“That was something we reviewed as a leadership group today.

“We thought we were ready to take a potential top-four side on and we didn’t. Our focus areas going into the game, we didn’t tick any of those off, and that’s disappointing.”

Asked to rate some of the other superstar midfield captains in the AFL, Cotchin said: “I’ve always idolised Gary Ablett and still looking back on that St Kilda game (in Round 1) to see him kick three or four goals in one quarter, and he’s consistently having mid-30 possessions with most of them pretty effective.

“He’s certainly the most talented in my eyes as a midfielder, but Joel Selwood’s impact and the way he leads is something to aspire to.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-defender-alex-rance-put-his-hand-up-for-the-travis-cloke-task/story-e6frf9mx-1226626671279

tony_montana

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 08:58:54 AM »
thanks for the recap TBR

interesting to see Cotchin's views on the pies midfield. Basically did the same as carlton did in rnd 1 2nd half, rolled the dice and ran ahead of the ball ie downhill skiing. Swans a gun but he's always cheated staying ahead of the ball and gets away with it bc his team is that good.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 10:02:05 AM »
Rance should never be allowed to play on a power forward again.

It's Chappy or bust which is saying something. We really need to go shopping for a strong key defender that can play on the Cloke types. Reckon Grimesey will get there with that iron fist, though.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 10:28:27 AM »
Feels like he has a bit of snobbery towards Collingwood midfield.

I felt that too.

Wallsy, Healy and Sheahan were gushing over Swan and Cotch shot them down a little bit and said that Swan got lucky a couple of times. He kicked a goal and Cotch said it was because Swan didn't chase out of their forward line, we turned it over and he was lucky enough to get on the end of it.

It was a little like the BTG hospital footage when the Carlton supporting mum said that we were lucky to win and Cotch said 'yeah, i don't think so'  :lol
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 11:04:54 AM »

It's Chappy or bust which is saying something. We really need to go shopping for a strong key defender that can play on the Cloke types. Reckon Grimesey will get there with that iron fist, though.

yep couldn't agree more

although i think it had more to do with bad coaching on the day. Footage on Fox showed Chaplin within 10 metres from the contest yet not going into help out.

i couldnt believe it to be honest how many times i saw Cloke yelling at his other forwards to move out leaving him 1 on 1. What did we do to offset this, nothing

Grimes or Chaplin shouldve helped Rance out instead of ball watching or worrying about their own man.

I'm tipping the Bombers will get this right on Thursday
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 11:18:45 AM »
Here's the video of Cotch's interview on the couch last night for those that missed it:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/AFL/039preparation-let-us-down039/video-e6frf33l-1226626746842?subcat=1225864515752&site=FoxSports

gerkin greg

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 12:10:35 PM »

yep couldn't agree more

although i think it had more to do with bad coaching on the day. Footage on Fox showed Chaplin within 10 metres from the contest yet not going into help out.

i couldnt believe it to be honest how many times i saw Cloke yelling at his other forwards to move out leaving him 1 on 1. What did we do to offset this, nothing

Grimes or Chaplin shouldve helped Rance out instead of ball watching or worrying about their own man.

I'm tipping the Bombers will get this right on Thursday

Rance has had good games on power forwards in the past and TBH i'm not sure there is a defender in the comp that can go one on one with Cloke all day and come out on top without getting a chop out from his teammates and having someone drop back into the hole. That was the biggest concern for me. No-one was getting in front of Cloke to block his leads, no-one going third man up. I'd be filthy if I was Rance at the lack of support.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »
Rance has had good games on power forwards in the past and TBH i'm not sure there is a defender in the comp that can go one on one with Cloke all day and come out on top without getting a chop out from his teammates and having someone drop back into the hole. That was the biggest concern for me. No-one was getting in front of Cloke to block his leads, no-one going third man up. I'd be filthy if I was Rance at the lack of support.

Agree Mr Gerkin  :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 06:58:31 PM »

Even more concerning is that there was really no other marking threat in the forward line, particularly when Lynch was on ball.
With a loose man in defence to remain with his player, both Chaplin and Grimes could have gone third up more easily than in any other game.