Author Topic: Hardwick press conference April 23  (Read 4572 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick press conference April 23
« on: April 23, 2013, 01:07:19 PM »
Richmond coach Damien Hardwick says low tackle numbers are an attitude problem

AAP
    April 23, 2013 12:29PM

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick says the Tigers' low tackle numbers are a result of a problem with attitude, not technique.

As revealed on SuperFooty today, Richmond has laid the fewest tackles of any side in the competition this season - and managed just four during Collingwood's third-quarter rampage on Saturday.

"Is it (tackling) a technique thing? No. Is it an attitude thing? No doubt," Hardwick said today.

"It's just an attitude. You come with a mindset you want to tackle and you want to defend, and you get the job done. We've just got to get a lot better at that."

The Tigers are set to make at least two forced changes for Friday night's clash against Fremantle, with Steve Morris suspended and key defender Troy Chaplin unlikely to come up from concussion.

Chaplin was knocked out in a friendly fire collision with teammate Chris Knights.

Hardwick admits there was some soul-searching following the Collingwood defeat, but is confident his side can snap back into the form they showed prior to the match.

"The pleasing thing you'd say is we only got beaten 34 points considering we played our worst game for the year," Hardwick said.

"We're 3-1. We didn't play to the level we required. We address those things. We move on."

See your club's latest injury list in The Barometer

Fremantle goes into the match without two injured players who usually torch the Tigers - key forward Matthew Pavlich and ruckman Aaron Sandilands.

Considering the Tigers' inability to control Collingwood giant Travis Cloke last weekend, Pavlich's absence particularly should be a blessing - though Hardwick had a warning.

"We're not overly disappointed (Pavlich) is not playing, let's put it that way.

"But the thing is when sides change up their forward structure, they become more unpredictable."

Hardwick is confident Jake King, who limped from the field against Collingwood after being kneed in the lower back, will be fit to travel to Perth.

But hard-working midfielder Nathan Foley, who returned from his long injury absence successfully in the reserves last weekend, won't be rushed back.

Hardwick says Foley faces at least a fortnight more gaining match fitness before he is considered for the seniors.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-coach-damien-hardwick-says-low-tackle-numbers-are-an-attitude-problem/story-e6frf9mx-1226627016246

TigerTimeII

Re: Hardwick press conference April 23
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 08:55:45 PM »
dimma is joking around too much
not serious enough for my liking
he fails to see problems

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 09:01:55 PM »
Good to hear they aren't rushing Foley back in.

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 09:13:39 PM »
he fails to see problems
Might have a slightly different mindset after we lose to Freo. Our first loss has been treated with the attitude of it being a minor bump in our progress with problems addressed and easily fixed. I think the issues are being understated, they were there for the first 3 wins the difference being that the opposition for those games just weren't good enough to take advantage. Better opposition from the pies and over the next couple of weeks will decide whether Hardwick is glossing over the cracks or he does genuinely know how to fix these issues quickly.

gerkin greg

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 09:24:30 AM »
he fails to see problems
Might have a slightly different mindset after we lose to Freo. Our first loss has been treated with the attitude of it being a minor bump in our progress with problems addressed and easily fixed. I think the issues are being understated, they were there for the first 3 wins the difference being that the opposition for those games just weren't good enough to take advantage. Better opposition from the pies and over the next couple of weeks will decide whether Hardwick is glossing over the cracks or he does genuinely know how to fix these issues quickly.

Completely disagree.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers only human, like me: Damien Hardwick (Australian)
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 01:39:18 PM »
Tigers only human, like me: Damien Hardwick

by: Greg Denham
    April 24, 2013

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick was the first to admit the Tigers did not deliver against Collingwood last Saturday at the MCG.

However, three days after Richmond's meek second-half surrender following its unblemished start to the season, Hardwick yesterday said his players were only human after all . . . just as he was.

After conceding his players did not reach the heights required on the training track in the lead-up to the clash with the Magpies, he was asked how that could happen.

"We didn't train well, but does that get taken into the game, I wouldn't think so," he said. "It happens all the time; sometimes I like to make love to my wife, I don't (always) perform at a high standard."

After sharing a laugh at his own expense he quickly switched to the task at hand -- facing Fremantle in Perth on Friday night, where he will have to tinker and make some changes after playing the same 22 for three successive weeks.

For starters, key-defender Troy Chaplin could miss after being concussed against the Magpies, while small defender Steven Morris needs to be replaced after being found guilty of rough conduct.

Chaplin, who crossed from Port Adelaide last year, will not have been helped by the six days in between games.

As well, Hardwick could look at replacing struggling midfielder Shane Tuck, who has been in ordinary touch. If he does play, surely he must be on his last chance before being dropped to the VFL.

"The pleasing thing you'd say is we only got beaten 34 points considering we played our worst game for the year," Hardwick said.

"We're three and one. We didn't play to the level we required. We address those things. We move on."

Hardwick said he was confident Jake King, who was sore earlier in the week after being kneed in the lower back, would be fit to travel to Perth tomorrow.

But speedy midfielder Nathan Foley, who made a successful return from his long injury absence in the VFL last weekend, won't be rushed back.

In his first hit-out for nine months following an Achilles injury, Foley collected 18 disposals in just under half a game, but Hardwick said he faced at least another fortnight in the lower grade to gain match conditioning before being considered for a senior recall.

Hardwick said improved tackling was a "must" for the Tigers.

"Is it (tackling) a technique thing? No. Is it an attitude thing? No doubt," he said.

"It's just an attitude. You come with a mindset you want to tackle and you want to defend, and you get the job done. We've just got to get a lot better at that."

Fremantle expect to regain centre half-back Luke McPharlin. He missed the loss to Hawthorn last Saturday after being concussed eight days earlier.

However, the Dockers will still be without two of their most influential big men, ruckman Aaron Sandilands and forward Matthew Pavlich, who booted nine goals in total in his two games against the Tigers last season.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-only-human-like-me-damien-hardwick/story-fnca0u4y-1226627396422

gerkin greg

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 03:20:32 PM »
"sometimes I like to make love to my wife, I don't (always) perform at a high standard"

:facepalm

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 03:58:21 PM »
"sometimes I like to make love to my wife, I don't (always) perform at a high standard"

:facepalm

:lol

Offline Piping Shrike

• Premiership Captain
  • Nothing today
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 05:41:57 PM »
Hmmm, is it technique or attitude? Or should we just move on?

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 06:02:25 PM »
Hmmm, is it technique or attitude? Or should we just move on?
Was his equipment upgraded along with the Punt Rd. re-development  :whistle

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 07:55:27 PM »
Side effect of peptides maybe?  I have read that 'roids have a bad rep in that area, maybe the 'tides do too !   :whistle

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 08:52:44 AM »
im guessing dimma had a bad day in the orifice the day before he made this comment.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 01:27:24 PM »
Sydney made just 47 tackles - their lowest tally since 2010 - and conceded 124 points, more than in any game of their 2012 premiership-winning campaign.

"I think its very simple. We've got to get back to the trademark style of footy for four quarters that we know we can play," Longmire said.

"We lost the one quarter on the weekend and we had seven goals kicked against us in that one quarter.

"That's a direct reflection on not being strong enough for that period of time in our pressure acts.

"Our ability to be able to tackle was disappointing. It's something we spoke about straight after the game and something we need to focus on."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-22/longmire-demands-swans-return-to-pressure-game/4643524?section=sport

Dimma should take a leaf out of the reigning premiers book.

Don't talk poo and focus on being a premiership team with premiership standards!

"It happens all the time"
"The pleasing thing"
"We move on"
"We didn't train well, but does that get taken into the game? I wouldn't think so,"

What a load of rubbish!
The standards at training are very important! Every role, every job, every task should maintain excellence.
Keeping the standard at a high level of excellence, not allowing any resemblance of the mediocrity of the past. Doing ALL that's required to excell and match it with any opponent we play.
We need to aspire, be superior than, surpass, eclipse, beat, exceed, outshine and run rings around all other teams.
Raise the bar! Lift the standard! Demand excellence!
Never offer an excuse! Never joke about failure!

Our jumper: Discipline, Awareness, Belief,  Desperate.

The club that keeps giving.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 01:48:17 PM »
Sydney made just 47 tackles - their lowest tally since 2010 - and conceded 124 points, more than in any game of their 2012 premiership-winning campaign.

"I think its very simple. We've got to get back to the trademark style of footy for four quarters that we know we can play," Longmire said.

"We lost the one quarter on the weekend and we had seven goals kicked against us in that one quarter.

"That's a direct reflection on not being strong enough for that period of time in our pressure acts.

"Our ability to be able to tackle was disappointing. It's something we spoke about straight after the game and something we need to focus on."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-22/longmire-demands-swans-return-to-pressure-game/4643524?section=sport

Dimma should take a leaf out of the reigning premiers book.

Don't talk poo and focus on being a premiership team with premiership standards!

"It happens all the time"
"The pleasing thing"
"We move on"
"We didn't train well, but does that get taken into the game? I wouldn't think so,"

What a load of rubbish!
The standards at training are very important! Every role, every job, every task should maintain excellence.
Keeping the standard at a high level of excellence, not allowing any resemblance of the mediocrity of the past. Doing ALL that's required to excell and match it with any opponent we play.
We need to aspire, be superior than, surpass, eclipse, beat, exceed, outshine and run rings around all other teams.
Raise the bar! Lift the standard! Demand excellence!
Never offer an excuse! Never joke about failure!

Our jumper: Discipline, Awareness, Belief,  Desperate.

Correct.

Well said

dwaino

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 02:17:41 PM »