Author Topic: Walls' mate  (Read 2032 times)

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
Walls' mate
« on: June 14, 2005, 02:27:58 PM »
From Robert Walls' article in today's Age

Hearty old Roos
By Robert Walls
June 14, 2005

Shoring up the Kangaroos' back line was the old warrior Leigh Colbert. Next week, he will play his 200th game. Last week, he turned 30. It's been a long and often painful journey for the kid who left Bendigo at 17 to join Geelong. As a young Geelong captain, he had the courage of his convictions to leave when he felt it was the correct decision. I admired him for that.
This story was found at: http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/06/13/1118645747235.html
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
Re: Walls' mate
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 02:41:30 PM »
The "courage of his convictions"???????

He left for money. That is not having the courage of your convictions! How many other captains of their club have transferred to another club? That decision left Geelong gutted....time might heal Geelong's feelings about Colbert, but how could you possibly admire him for that?

I'll never forget the day that Adelaide thrashed us by 137 points and he got booed off the ground. I felt sorry for him when he got sacked. But when he comes out with absolute crap like this I wonder how I ever had any feelings for him. Since then I have also seen footage of him in his playing career, and he was a jib and a sook to the umpires. He talks about hard men, gets his players to box each other at training, but was one of the softest players of his time.

Robert Walls, you stink!
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Walls' mate
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 05:50:16 PM »
Colbert did a Buckley and Ottens. He walked out on his struggling club at the time to chase premierships and $$$ with another who was nearer to the top of the ladder. As with Buckley it looks it has backfired with the Cats now stronger than the Roos.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd