Author Topic: Richmond interested in Dylan Shiel [merged]  (Read 22650 times)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
Re: Dylan Shiels
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2014, 04:29:17 PM »
The kid is a friggin gun! Watch him play regularly. Super fit, tough as nails, excellent decision maker and their second best midfielder behind Callan Ward and just ahead of Treloar.
I'd give a first rounder for him any day but I think GWS may be looking for another top up of experience and will probably look to on trade any pick they get.

Get it done Tiges!  :clapping

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2014, 04:34:23 PM »
Straight swap for Foley and Hampson

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2014, 04:45:36 PM »
They have plenty of Rucks Chuck, so how about we offer up Megan instead as she has more upside.  ;D She could become "G" Girl!.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2014, 04:47:43 PM »
They have plenty of Rucks Chuck, so how about we offer up Megan instead as she has more upside.  ;D She could become "G" Girl!.

Actually good point Tiga, best asset Hampson has is Megs, surprise he caught her since he cant catch anything else

Get it done Tiges  :gotigers

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2014, 04:54:29 PM »

Actually good point Tiga, best asset Hampson has is Megs, surprise he caught her since he cant catch anything else

Get it done Tiges  :gotigers
That's why he hasn't needed to catch anything since!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2014, 05:18:28 PM »
Rockliff or his Irish mate

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2014, 03:59:34 PM »
So from memory over the last few years we have had a crack at the following young stars wanting to come home to play
Josh Caddy (pick 7 in his original draft)
Dom Tyson (pick 11)
Taylor Adams (pick 13)

And now we have a chance with Dylan Shiels who I rate the best of the lot of them. If we could manage to get him in a player/trade pick swap and keep our first round selection this wouldn't be a waste of a year after all.
Next year Lennon is another year older and hopefully McBean can take the next step and we start to look a little more classy.
Trade in the small forward we desperately need in Garlett.
Throw some money at Chip Frawley that way we could use Astbury or Griff in the Shiel trade. Let's face it, Astbury was ok this year but could quite easy do nothing again like his previous years.
I would also be looking to trade Grigg, Houli, Hampson, Jackson and Batch. I know we wouldn't get much for any of them but I would prefer kids on our list than blokes that continue to let us all down and are on pretty good money. (250/300k) They play a good game here and there but they make to many mistakes when things get tight.
We need to bring in kids with pace and good skills. Draft 8 to 10 kids. Treat this year as one we needed to have.
This club needs a real good clean out but as well as do that bring in blokes that are starting 22.
A side like this next year surely is better than what we have had to put up with this year.

Grimes   Frawley     Morris
Dea   Rance    Lids
Ellis     Miles    Vlaustin
Lennon   Vickory    Martin
Garlett     Jack     McBean

Maric   Cotchin    Shiels

Foley   Conca    Draft pick 7    Edwards/other drafted kid

Not a bad starting 22 with some real toughness and improving skill level.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2014, 05:34:07 PM »
I wouldn't throw money at Frawley. For what he apparently wants, the length of time he want he is not worth the money.
He wouldn't see us as having any more potential as Melbourne so give that one up.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2014, 06:50:50 PM »
I wouldn't throw money at Frawley. For what he apparently wants, the length of time he want he is not worth the money.
He wouldn't see us as having any more potential as Melbourne so give that one up.

Both good points and I agree
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

the claw

« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2014, 07:06:40 PM »
So from memory over the last few years we have had a crack at the following young stars wanting to come home to play
Josh Caddy (pick 7 in his original draft)
Dom Tyson (pick 11)
Taylor Adams (pick 13)

And now we have a chance with Dylan Shiels who I rate the best of the lot of them. If we could manage to get him in a player/trade pick swap and keep our first round selection this wouldn't be a waste of a year after all.
Next year Lennon is another year older and hopefully McBean can take the next step and we start to look a little more classy.
Trade in the small forward we desperately need in Garlett.
Throw some money at Chip Frawley that way we could use Astbury or Griff in the Shiel trade. Let's face it, Astbury was ok this year but could quite easy do nothing again like his previous years.
I would also be looking to trade Grigg, Houli, Hampson, Jackson and Batch. I know we wouldn't get much for any of them but I would prefer kids on our list than blokes that continue to let us all down and are on pretty good money. (250/300k) They play a good game here and there but they make to many mistakes when things get tight.
We need to bring in kids with pace and good skills. Draft 8 to 10 kids. Treat this year as one we needed to have.
This club needs a real good clean out but as well as do that bring in blokes that are starting 22.
A side like this next year surely is better than what we have had to put up with this year.

Grimes   Frawley     Morris
Dea   Rance    Lids
Ellis     Miles    Vlaustin
Lennon   Vickory    Martin
Garlett     Jack     McBean

Maric   Cotchin    Shiels

Foley   Conca    Draft pick 7    Edwards/other drafted kid

Not a bad starting 22 with some real toughness and improving skill level.

they have absolutely no need for either griffiths or astbury. their list of tallfwds, tall defenders and ruckmen far exceeds anything these two could offer. if we want a quality player like shiels we will have to offer up quality to get him or use pick 7 with a decent player.
with us still 5 yrs away from having any chance of a gf the one high quality player we could afford to lose would be deledio hes 28 in april next yr. but brett is contracted is loyal and would have to want to go. at 28 if he went it would be for immediate success so while gws are a very promising  long term prospect they dont meet the immediate nnow.

it wont be until we actually build up a substantial amount of depth and real talent thet we will truly be in a position to trade for these types. when we have very good players who cant get a game then we can afford to offload quality players.
for now we must find ways to get good picks in the nd and do the hard yards. we have a better chance of gaining say top 20 -  35 picks by making some hard calls on blokes like vickery and griffiths than actually getting players like shiels for nothing.

i agree frawley and garlett meet needs and add to the team straight away.
but how do we realistically get our hands on high quality young talent like shiels.

the claw

« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2014, 07:09:05 PM »
Contracted = not going anywhere
agree and certainly not to a club that has nothing to offer but mainly mediocrity, and what quality we do have we can ill afford to lose a bit like robbing peter to pay paul.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2014, 07:49:13 PM »
agree and certainly not to a club that has nothing to offer but mainly mediocrity, and what quality we do have we can ill afford to lose a bit like robbing peter to pay paul.

x 3.

even if we had quality to offer up our club is too gutless to make a heath shaw type call, instead preferring to hold them till they are worthless.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Gigantor

« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2014, 08:22:04 PM »
Angus I got a gut feeling that come this trade period we might throw the cat amongst the pigeons..just a gut feeling

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2014, 08:25:05 PM »
We do have Choco who he knows well (as he goes out with his ?daughter)
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2014, 09:14:12 PM »
He is contracted for 2015. After that he can walk for nothing if he wants. Clubs know this and are willing to trade before their contracts are up knowing that they could get nothing if the kid is willing to go back into the draft.
Also GWS have some real talent up forward but down back they need some size and experience. I don't rate Astbury but some on here do. Stephen Gilham and Tim Mohr are hardly stars down back.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 03:38:35 PM by big tone »