Author Topic: Richmond interested in Dylan Shiel [merged]  (Read 22650 times)

Rampstar

Re: Richmond interested in Dylan Shiel but GWS saying no (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2013, 11:41:18 AM »
What % of our stuffed salary cap have we spent?

looks like enough of it so we cant bring in a decent player of note.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2013, 12:14:05 PM »
I can't understand how we can be keen to get Shiel but can;t afford Adams.
Call me dumb but just get Adams who is actually obtainable??????

He isn't attainable if he doesn't want to come to our club and throw in the fact he asking for more than he is worth gong by media reports ($400k a season)

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2013, 12:15:56 PM »
so you don't rate grimes as highly nor as important to RFC as shiel?

I rate Grimes highly, but he's fairly injury prone.

Grimes has currency, he need to trade quality to get quality. We can throw trades up like Pick 12 and Derrickx or Pick 12 and Astbury but at the end of the day its a waste of time. Last time we traded quality I think it was to get Gasper at the club by trading Maxfield.

I don't want Grimes to go but Shiels is star quality and if it means parting ways with Grimes for Shiels than I'd be happy to accept that.
Go Tigers!

Gigantor

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2013, 12:18:44 PM »
OK ta..I now understand your reasoning

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2013, 12:20:43 PM »
It feels like we've missed the boat with the cap. How can Hawks have so many blue chip players, how can Carlton afford Thomas? Is it all to do with back ending contracts?

Can anyone explain how a club could go over the salary cap when you can just continually back end contracts.

Ie. If Sydney get stuffed with Buddy's contract (which they have back ended cause they can't afford to fit in his 1.5mil a year in next years cap) later in his career and he retires and they are forced to pay out his contract under 1 years cap, can't they just back end everyone else's contract? Just feel with backending contracts you can affectively have 22 players all on huge money for 1-2 years and back end half of them, then the next set of players come in, just back end there contracts and so forth. Seems a never ending cycle.
Go Tigers!

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2013, 01:51:22 PM »
It feels like we've missed the boat with the cap. How can Hawks have so many blue chip players, how can Carlton afford Thomas? Is it all to do with back ending contracts?

Can anyone explain how a club could go over the salary cap when you can just continually back end contracts.

Ie. If Sydney get stuffed with Buddy's contract (which they have back ended cause they can't afford to fit in his 1.5mil a year in next years cap) later in his career and he retires and they are forced to pay out his contract under 1 years cap, can't they just back end everyone else's contract? Just feel with backending contracts you can affectively have 22 players all on huge money for 1-2 years and back end half of them, then the next set of players come in, just back end there contracts and so forth. Seems a never ending cycle.

Carlton lost Betts, Buddy leaves Hawks, Thomas leaves Pies and they pick up who they pick up. Cats have moved on Chappy, Corey, Hunt and Pods which frees up salary cap cash for a Taylor Adams/Heath Shaw
Trading quality for quality on theory gives you bargaining power but also cap relief.
You also get cap relief by moving on players who don't go last their use by date on stop delivering value for their salary.

While I can see the logic with Grimes, I'd still hold out hope he will overcome his injuries - the question is whether he will keep his pace. If that looks gone he is stuffed. I remember Dutchy Holland who was always a bit slow but he looked like he was running through quicksand after his knee reco.

We should've traded/delisted King, Foley (getting a 2nd or 3rd round pick and even paying half his salary would be worth it) and retired Newman who has been a great servant of the value but is slow as treacle.
This in addition to moving on McGuane, Nahas, White and Tuck would've freed up plenty of cash to even attract a decent free agent if we couldn't  trade.
These players won't impact on our ability to play in the 8 next year but their combined salaries might jag us the 2 quality players required to push for a top 4 spot.
My guess is that when people get frustrated at our list management it is for these reasons.
To be blunt, while Graeme Richmond may not have been as successful today as he was 40 years ago, he would've been ruthless enough to make these changes without blinking an eye lid.
We haven't been in this position for a long time, it will be interesting too see how thing evolve over the next few years.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2013, 03:17:41 PM »
If we were unable to re-sign dusty then this trade period would have been completely different for us. We would have had Adams or Mumford at the very least.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2013, 03:23:29 PM »
What % of our stuffed salary cap have we spent?

looks like enough of it so we cant bring in a decent player of note.
It isn't stuffed. Dan Richardson when interviewed after the Hampson deal said we were not chasing Adam's any longer due to what he was asking and that it didn't fit in with our TPP structure.

He didn't say we could not afford him, just that it didn't fit in with what we wanted to pay. Two very different things. Obviously he wants higher than what we are willing to pay or think he is worth at this point.

Of course the media then go and report this as "Richmond out of race for Adams as they cannot afford him."  :rollin

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2013, 03:34:28 PM »
I can't understand how we can be keen to get Shiel but can;t afford Adams.
Call me dumb but just get Adams who is actually obtainable??????

As silly as it sounds , we ve ran out of coin, collingwood have release a few players providing some space in the tpp....no hope

they signed hampson but ran out of salary cap room. lol.

Hampson is cheap. Not remotely relevant. You do realise we need a full list of players.

of course its relevant how can we who finished 7th only add Hampson having lost McGuane, White and afew others not have salary cap room. Looks like weve stuffed up our salary cap somewhere along the lines.

Hardly we were barely paying 95% of the cap Ramps and we have not paid overs on those we have re-signed. We needed to offload blokes like McGuane who were on lucrative deals under the Cameron admin compared to the type of players they were. Being over the cap is a myth and generated by the Blues, Magpies, Bombers infused media who always seem to have money to burn despite their lists. ::)

Furthermore the smarter managers were the ones who went and are managing  the high end draft picks from the two new expansion clubs who at some point in time would either get homesick or crave success or even the feel of a traditional footy club surroundings as opposed to this new plastic franchise environment.

It's hard to therefore push for a Taylor Adams when Mr Pickering and co tell their kids they are worth 400-600K a year even as the third year player and know how the Pies and Bombers will always be willing to part with that money considering the types of clubs they are. It's ok to go after a big fish so long as the environment is conjucive for us to do so and given we are locking away our talent for their real value as opposed to the inflated market value then that is fine with me. You can't preach to Cotch and co the mantra of successful clubs stick together only to bring in a player of similar ilk on significantly more money and when the time comes for Cotch and co they get told sorry no money in the kitty.

Memo Sydney Swans this is why we MUST move heaven and earth for kids like Bird, Jack, Hanneberry when the time comes bc Mr Franklin and Mr Tippett will be getting all the cash and blokes of the aforementioned ilk will be battling to get relevant pay rises. It's not matter of taking something because its there its a matter of taking something that's the right fit for us on the field that will serve a purpose to the team not just fill the back page of the paper for a day or too till Collingwood, Carlton or Essendon scratch their heads and the dandruff flakes fall on their shoulders which seems to be big news anyway.

gerkin greg

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2013, 07:36:05 PM »
Another midget with sub par skills  :banghead

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2013, 07:40:34 PM »
Let's face it, while other clubs in the hunt for big ticket players are having garage sales, we are having a council curbside cleanup.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2013, 09:23:30 PM »
Let's face it, while other clubs in the hunt for big ticket players are having garage sales, we are having a council curbside cleanup.

say what?
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2013, 08:45:15 AM »

say what?

He said,

Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2013, 05:27:52 PM »
Jon Ralph on the Herald-Sun website saying Shiel is not a target of ours.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dylan Shiel
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2014, 06:33:09 PM »
Melbourne, Carlton and Richmond are considered to be heavy contenders to win the rights to GWS' Dylan Shiel who has been linked with a return back to Victoria.

The Demons in particular are in the box seat to pull off another 'Dom Tyson' like trade with the Giants, which could see an early pick sent the way of GWS in return for a promising young gun from their ranks.

https://www.facebook.com/AFLSeasonAndOffSeasonNews
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 08:45:18 PM by WilliamPowell »