Author Topic: Forward Structure  (Read 22702 times)

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Re: Forward Structure
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 06:32:56 AM »
Cant remember any other side trying to turn a FF Coleman medalist into another position.

Come to think of it we try to turn to many players into things they arent. Newman a forward? Dusty a backman? Etc etc etc

I cant recall Stevie j being forced to play in the backline. Or Hawkins.

We dont line up to our players strengths. Either they are extremely slow learners or Hardwick has got it terribly wrong

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2014, 07:05:14 AM »
Cant remember any other side trying to turn a FF Coleman medalist into another position.

Come to think of it we try to turn to many players into things they arent. Newman a forward? Dusty a backman? Etc etc etc

We dont line up to our players strengths. Either they are extremely slow learners or Hardwick has got it terribly wrong

That's right.

We line players up to opposition strengths, it seems.

A coach with a defensive mindset and a poor mans Euclid.

A game plan that adhered the players strengths would be nice also.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2014, 12:37:45 PM »
I think people maybe misconstruing Dimmas intentions here. He is just trying to make our players, side and structure more flexible and unpredictable. I don't think he has ever really believed Dusty would play a season out at HB but rather wanted to have the option of playing him there so he could then rotate other players through the middle and have Dusty less exhausted when he moved him into the middle or forward later in a game.

Jack is being moved to HF because 1) it makes us less predictable 2) he is very creative and sets up goals  3) he can become a link player & 4) he gets more of the ball in his hands. Jack didn't, or wasn't allowed to, do this last Saturday.

I'm not sure if the three talls on small grounds are going to work. If one acts as a push up link player then it may work in this case but three stay at home forwards doesn't do the job. Dimma needs to rotate Vickery, Griffiths and Jack around the forwardline and if one player is not taking his opportunities - move him away from the goal square.  :cheers

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2014, 03:26:45 PM »
I just cant understand what Dimma wants sometimes.He has a gun forward who has won the coleman twice and second behind Franklin for the most goals kicked last couple of seasons and we dont sit him in the sqaure and and make him the main target.Any other team what do that, but for some reason Dimma is obessed with this hawks game plan of sharing the forward load.I agree to a extent a good idea,but we dont have the forward cattle hawks have simple as that.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 03:39:01 PM »
Playing Riewoldt at half forward isn't unpredictable, it's just brothel. He has kicked and set up goals from full forward brilliantly in the past. I'd rather he kicked 70 and set up 25 than kick 35-40 and set up 30 from half forward.

This will sound laughable but we gotta get Aaron Edwards into this team. He's the only bloke at the club who leads up at the footy EVERY stuffing time.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 03:41:40 PM »

That's right.

We line players up to opposition strengths, it seems.

A coach with a defensive mindset and a poor mans Euclid.

A game plan that adhered the players strengths would be nice also.

Can you imagine what wankhouse will be thinking if he can have Jamison/Henderson sit on Riewoldt at half forward. Then he looks up and sees Martin going to the backline, he'd be laughing. Hardwick doing all the coaching for the opposition. They don't have to make a move

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2014, 03:51:35 PM »
Playing Riewoldt at half forward isn't unpredictable, it's just brothel. He has kicked and set up goals from full forward brilliantly in the past. I'd rather he kicked 70 and set up 25 than kick 35-40 and set up 30 from half forward.

This will sound laughable but we gotta get Aaron Edwards into this team. He's the only bloke at the club who leads up at the footy EVERY stuffing time.
Griffiths led up too. Pity he had to play his own role and then a bright spark went off in Dimma's head and he subbed him off leaving no one to lead.

Jack FF
Griff CHF/2nd ruck
Edwards/Vickery as the other forward.

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2014, 03:56:40 PM »

Griffiths led up too. Pity he had to play his own role and then a bright spark went off in Dimma's head and he subbed him off leaving no one to lead.

Jack FF
Griff CHF/2nd ruck

And two small fowards at thier feet, front and centre to get the spillage and put foward presure on. Pettard and Newman do NOT count as this type.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2014, 04:19:40 PM »

Jack FF
Griff CHF/2nd ruck

And two small fowards at thier feet, front and centre to get the spillage and put foward presure on. Pettard and Newman do NOT count as this type.
we actually need Banfield in the team.  Too bad the big O was elevated instead - I don't think he makes a good small forward! ;D
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

gerkin greg

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2014, 04:48:07 PM »
one thing we don't ever need is banfield in the team

cmon now

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2014, 05:02:00 PM »
one thing we don't ever need is banfield in the team

cmon now
Wouldn't have done any worse than our forwards did last Saturday..... :whistle

gerkin greg

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2014, 05:51:35 PM »
Sure but that would have been a good game from him

you see?

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2014, 06:11:47 PM »
Sure but that would have been a good game from him

you see?
:clapping :lol

the claw

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2014, 08:02:45 PM »
reckon we need to sort out the second kpf spot. going by the off season  our reserves game last week and forward needs  the sort of thing id like to see happen.
fb/  morris - chaplin - astbury.   the talls are suspect imo but there isnt really any other options. reckon conca needs the play in front of him.
hb/ conca - rance - vlastuin

c/  houli - martin - deledio. imo a soft and very outside centre line. these blokes just have to start winning some contested ball and have a defensive impact.

hf/ knights - griffiths - king.     some will say its too tall i say rubbish. i have always believed a edwards should be played as a strong marking medium sized player. griffiths and riewoldt stay at home and hampson shares the ruck load with orren. king will at least add some defensive pressure and knights can kick a goal and has a bit of polish.
ff/ hampson  - riewoldt - a edwards.

ruck/ stephenson - jackson - cotchin. reckon the big o can at least compete in the ruck. never thought id say it in my lifetime but jackson adds some needed competetivness. cotchin must be praying some other mids will step up and win some contested ball.

int/  thomas - ellis - foley -  sub gordon or failing that, s edwards / mcdonough/ lloyd. reckon ellis foley thomas and gordon give a good mix of midfield rotations. foley and ellis really need to step up. gordon is one who can play forward and is a good size.
shame miles is not on the list proper would play him in a heartbeat.

outs would be
vickery,s edwards, grigg, mcdonough,newman, petterd,
ins
stephenson, gordon, jackson, knights,king, a edwards.
we all know 6 changes wont happen but i sure as hell hope we do it. dimma needs to send a very loud message early that performances like that are not acceptable and the players will be held accountable.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2014, 08:29:44 PM »
reckon we need to sort out the second kpf spot. going by the off season  our reserves game last week and forward needs  the sort of thing id like to see happen.
fb/  morris - chaplin - astbury.   the talls are suspect imo but there isnt really any other options. reckon conca needs the play in front of him.
hb/ conca - rance - vlastuin

c/  houli - martin - deledio. imo a soft and very outside centre line. these blokes just have to start winning some contested ball and have a defensive impact.

hf/ knights - griffiths - king.     some will say its too tall i say rubbish. i have always believed a edwards should be played as a strong marking medium sized player. griffiths and riewoldt stay at home and hampson shares the ruck load with orren. king will at least add some defensive pressure and knights can kick a goal and has a bit of polish.
ff/ hampson  - riewoldt - a edwards.

ruck/ stephenson - jackson - cotchin. reckon the big o can at least compete in the ruck. never thought id say it in my lifetime but jackson adds some needed competetivness. cotchin must be praying some other mids will step up and win some contested ball.

int/  thomas - ellis - foley -  sub gordon or failing that, s edwards / mcdonough/ lloyd. reckon ellis foley thomas and gordon give a good mix of midfield rotations. foley and ellis really need to step up. gordon is one who can play forward and is a good size.
shame miles is not on the list proper would play him in a heartbeat.

outs would be
vickery,s edwards, grigg, mcdonough,newman, petterd,
ins
stephenson, gordon, jackson, knights,king, a edwards.
we all know 6 changes wont happen but i sure as hell hope we do it. dimma needs to send a very loud message early that performances like that are not acceptable and the players will be held accountable.

I would not take out Grigg or S.Edwards. We need the extra run which was desperately lacking last Saturday and heavily needed against teams that like Carlton who like to sling shot/over-run us. I would bring in Gordan as sub too. With King and Jackson coming in I would make some hard decisions and take out Foley, Petterd and.....Newman (won't happen - yet) or McDonough (move Newman back).

Gordan would make an impact coming in as a sub that Foley didn't. Even Lloyd would give us more as a sub.