Author Topic: Rate our 2014 draft effort  (Read 6219 times)

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Rate our 2014 draft effort
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2014, 12:36:18 PM »
Have now compared all the highlight videos and what seems obvious is FJ has done it again.
Amazing is his ability to pull the lesser rein on so many of our picks.
He has taken the lesser option in:
decision making.
kicking skills.
inside ability
toughness
tackling
disposal totals
disposal efficiency
in all of the choices of Ellis over Weller, Menadue over Blakely, Drummond over Gore.

Quite bizarre the way he manages to leave the better pick on the board within the next pick or two, which makes it all the easier to note the discrepancy for years after.
Oh well. Hopefully only the Rookie and PSD draft to go until he retires.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2014, 01:01:51 PM »
Have now compared all the highlight videos and what seems obvious is FJ has done it again.
decision making.
kicking skills.
inside ability
toughness
tackling
disposal totals
disposal efficiency
in all of the choices of Ellis over Weller, Menadue over Blakely, Drummond over Gore.

Quite bizarre the way he manages to leave the better pick on the board within the next pick or two, which makes it all the easier to note the discrepancy for years after.
What makes you think Blakely is a better long term prospect than Menadue? Connor is a gun.  Just needs to beef up.  Even the others are subjective.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2014, 01:11:41 PM »
It's all subjective. Go back to the year we got Dusty at pick 3 -  about 80% of the top 20 have turned out to be duds.

At this time of year everyone is an expert and every player we missed out on will be a gun.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2014, 01:16:39 PM »
a fair few were saying martin was the #1 ... pre-draft

so its not as if its totally random

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2014, 01:29:54 PM »
This in the Hun..

RICHMOND
Another blue-chip first-round Tigers pick in hard-nosed midfielder Corey Ellis. The small but speedy Connor Menadue fell to 33 and to land 196cm, 100kg power forward Reece McKenzie at No.77 a great result. The Saints and Crows considered him much earlier.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2014, 04:19:20 PM »
AFL draft 2014: how did your club fare?
Emma Quayle
The Age
November 29, 2014

RICHMOND

A really good group of onballers with nice points of difference. Ellis is unobtrusive, but such a safe user of the ball. Drummond can play in a few different parts of the ground, and played some really good footy this year after missing out in last year's draft. Menadue might need a bit of time (he's so skinny) but can carry the ball, and Butler works really hard in and around the forward 50.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/trading-and-drafting/afl-draft-2014-how-did-your-club-fare-20141128-11wdim.html

--------------------------------------------------------------

The verdict: Did your club get what it needed at the 2014 NAB AFL Draft?
Callum Twomey 
afl.com.au
November 28, 2014

RICHMOND

Draft selections: 12, 33, 52, 70, 88 (promoted Anthony Miles)

What we said before the draft: It's a good chance for the Tigers to bring more skill to their midfield.

What happened? As expected they picked classy midfielder Corey Ellis at pick 12, and he's one of the better users of the ball in the draft pool. Don't be surprised to see him to settle in fine and look right at home. While Ellis isn't super quick, the Tigers' next four selections all bring great speed to the club's list. Connor Menadue, Nathan Drummond and Daniel Butler are quick and get the ball going, while power forward Reece McKenzie is also an extremely talented athlete who had a good year in the TAC Cup. He'll be given time to work on his game.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-27/how-did-your-club-fare-at-the-2014-draft

the claw

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2014, 04:38:59 PM »
Still can't believe we didn't trade for (a second) a top 10-30 draft pick

It's quite upsetting to see drugcheatfc do seemingly well.
sheesh i gotta agree with this.

who knows what we have got until they play. at least taking  5 kids was a step in the right direction.
where we failed was before the draft in trade and f/a period.failed to address some needs and failed to better our draft position with the intent of going heavily into the draft.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2014, 05:08:18 PM »
We need to go back and look at the Tambling, Myres and Patterson draft, were some of you as critical back then, were some of you excited?

We all know the way it turned out....I just have a better feeling about this draft.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 07:35:06 AM by WA Tiger »

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

tony_montana

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2014, 08:27:55 AM »
We need to go back and look at the Tambling, Myres and Patterson draft, were some of you as critical back then, were some of you excited?

We all know the way it turned out....I just have a better feeling about this draft.
I'd say that's one of the reasons why there is some trepidation about our draftees

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2014, 08:35:42 AM »
I just have a better feeling about this draft.

Sounds like a rational, well thought out and scientifically verifiable opinion based on sound research.

Could I get this weeks lotto numbers pls?

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2014, 09:23:33 AM »
probably not too different to most other opinions on this years draftees
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2014, 10:21:40 AM »
I just have a better feeling about this draft.

Sounds like a rational, well thought out and scientifically verifiable opinion based on sound research.

Could I get this weeks lotto numbers pls?

Does everything have to be analysed for you Dooks or can we not just comment or have our thoughts......this is a forum inst it???

"Rucks:

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2014, 10:25:20 AM »

I'd say that's one of the reasons why there is some trepidation about our draftees

Agree and if it ends up like the Tambling draft or players after our picked that were rated and playing better than ours (second and third rounders) like the Heppal draft than we will need to look at our recruiting team.

"Rucks:

the claw

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2014, 06:08:21 PM »
decision making.
kicking skills.
inside ability
toughness
tackling
disposal totals
disposal efficiency

gotta agree with this. at each pick bar our last i had better rated players well better rated imo based on some pretty similar criteria.
i actually think our rating system has to be wrong.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2014, 12:24:48 PM »

Agree and if it ends up like the Tambling draft or players after our picked that were rated and playing better than ours (second and third rounders) like the Heppal draft than we will need to look at our recruiting team.
I agree WAT, I too have a good feeling about our selections especially Menadue. So why not be positive?? After all there is plenty of time to be negative, Dooks is just the guy waiting in his sleeping bag outside a new store that is selling the first ever aerosol can of doom and gloom just so he can say he was the first person to get one!   ;D