Author Topic: Jayden Short [merged]  (Read 171379 times)

Offline Dont Argue

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Jayden Short [merged]
« Reply #285 on: June 05, 2018, 10:44:51 AM »
Still has a long way to go, media and commentators have created a massive love fest around this bloke that is completely over the top. Short is an ok player that is trying his guts out but still turns the ball over way to often than he should, especially for the roll we want him to play, he has good qualities in as much as his penetration and can kick both sides of the body. I'm not sold on him yet, needs more time, not sure he's comfortable at the level just yet.
Next time you go to a game, watch the way they set up and release him. He's sort of like the QB of the backline (I know how much OER loves an american sports analogy  :thumbsup), which is that the tall defenders feed it off to him for a long, penetrating kick. Many times on Saturday night Essendon had set up their zone defence. Many times we flipped it to Shorty and he just kicked straight over the top of it.

Gun!

Short >> Houli
Short > Conca

Houli almost won the Norm Smith in a Grand Final. Lets give him the respect he deserves and leave him out of futile comparisons. He deserves some status after that effort.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #286 on: June 05, 2018, 11:26:41 AM »
Fair call
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jayden Short has become Richmond’s secret weapon (Foxsports)
« Reply #287 on: June 05, 2018, 04:08:42 PM »
‘There is one guy that no one talks about’: Jayden Short has become Richmond’s secret weapon

June 5, 2018
Josh Gabelich
FOX SPORTS

THERE is one player at Punt Road who is flying under the radar right now. He looked on from the stands when Richmond ended a 37-year premiership drought last year, but he hasn’t been out of Damien Hardwick’s side since.

His name is Jayden Short and he is the most improved player on the Tigers’ list behind midfielder-turned-forward Josh Caddy.

While the big four — Alex Rance, Dustin Martin, Jack Riewoldt and Trent Cotchin — attract the lion share of attention, and with good reason, Short’s form is starting to generate plenty of interest.

The 22-year-old produced the best performance of his short career in Saturday night’s Dreamtime game at the MCG, amassing a career-high 28 disposals, including 22 kicks, nine rebound 50s and a whopping 659 metres gained.

What Short does as well as any Tiger is gain territory and hit targets. And in the modern game, it doesn’t get much more important than that.

“There is one guy there that no one talks about. He is only a 22-year-old and he has only played 43 games of football — Jayden Short,” dual North Melbourne premiership player David King said on SEN on Monday.

“Off the half-back flank, he is the No. 1 metres gained player at Richmond and he is top five in the AFL. He is a beauty.

“He is a kicker and they don’t have a lot of kickers in this team — their handball game is what gets them where they want to go.

“He is an impactful player. Dustin Martin has had 160-odd kicks this year; Short has had six less kicks than him.”

While opposition sides have plenty of headaches when they face the reigning premiers, King believes they must now stop the young gun who has become a quarterback for the Tigers.

“I think there has now come a time that teams have to put some time into Jayden Short — that sounds ridiculous when you’ve got other players there off that half-back flank,” he said.

“If you can get two damaging half-backs — Houli and a Short — at the pointy end of the season, I’m nearly looking at tagging Short instead of [Bachar] Houli.

“He is a damaging player and the Richmond supporters love him.

“What Damien [Hardwick] has been able to do with him to get him into this team and reap the rewards with him; I think we are only just seeing the fruits.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/there-is-one-guy-that-no-one-talks-about-jayden-short-has-become-richmonds-secret-weapon/news-story/1942c39acb61f775218ce42feb43ea13

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #288 on: June 05, 2018, 04:28:03 PM »
They don't have much kickers in our side please.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #289 on: June 05, 2018, 06:24:02 PM »

Houli almost won the Norm Smith in a Grand Final. Lets give him the respect he deserves and leave him out of futile comparisons. He deserves some status after that effort.
I take your point regarding respect. I do respect and admire Houli for what he did in the grand final, especially as someone who had never seen Richmond perform in a GF, let alone win one.

But futile comparisons? I'd say they are extremely relevant comparisons. Houli is not just a walk-up start, nor any other player on our list. Short more-or-less plays his position, why shouldn't I compare? There's about 30 blokes on our list that are pushing regularly for 22 spots. At this stage of this season, from what I've seen, Short is performing far better than Houli (which is not to say Houli has been underperforming). That's how I see it. If you disagree with that assessment, well fair enough. But I'm gunna continue to make them; and no players are exempt. Even premiership heros.

Offline Dont Argue

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #290 on: June 05, 2018, 10:48:33 PM »

I take your point regarding respect. I do respect and admire Houli for what he did in the grand final, especially as someone who had never seen Richmond perform in a GF, let alone win one.

But futile comparisons? I'd say they are extremely relevant comparisons. Houli is not just a walk-up start, nor any other player on our list. Short more-or-less plays his position, why shouldn't I compare? There's about 30 blokes on our list that are pushing regularly for 22 spots. At this stage of this season, from what I've seen, Short is performing far better than Houli (which is not to say Houli has been underperforming). That's how I see it. If you disagree with that assessment, well fair enough. But I'm gunna continue to make them; and no players are exempt. Even premiership heros.

Comparisons are one thing but Short better than Houli? Really? Sounds like the old Houli bashing we've been hearing for years. The guy is a gun and killed it in the G.F. Why can't people let it go.
We all like what Short is doing but Houli would get picked every day of the week in front of him because he has runs on the board, performs consistently at a high level and is a wonderfull club man. Hope when he retires, our supporters see it that way

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #291 on: June 06, 2018, 07:45:49 AM »
A comparison IS saying Short is better than Houli???

Its not potting Houli, its a comparison.

The guy is a solid contributor and did perform well in the GF, at no point is that being disputed.

Let what go?

When Houli retires the fan base, including those on OER will respect and admire him.

Your points are nonsensical and irrational. Jog on.....

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #292 on: June 06, 2018, 08:49:42 AM »
Good to have them both for us.My worry with Houli is injury now seems to be happening alot.

Offline Dont Argue

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #293 on: June 06, 2018, 11:55:53 AM »

The guy is a solid contributor and did perform well in the GF, at no point is that being disputed.

Let what go?

When Houli retires the fan base, including those on OER will respect and admire him.

Irrational and nonsensical?? Well I'll clarify my comments then.
Houli is better than Short and anyone who is prepared to say otherwise after Shorty has played only 6 very good games, is caught up in hysteria or severely underrates Houli. Sounds like your'e in the second camp so lets agree to disagree

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #294 on: June 06, 2018, 01:24:07 PM »
Stop arguing.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #295 on: June 06, 2018, 01:26:36 PM »
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #296 on: June 06, 2018, 01:35:46 PM »

Let what go?

Houli is better than Short and anyone who is prepared to say otherwise after Shorty has played only 6 very good games, is caught up in hysteria or severely underrates Houli. Sounds like your'e in the second camp so lets agree to disagree
Short is better than Houli at the same stage in their careers.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Dont Argue

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #297 on: June 06, 2018, 02:30:00 PM »

Let what go?

Short is better than Houli at the same stage in their careers.

Short is a beauty. No argument with you there. Hope he goes on to be a champion of the club as Houli is.
Once you win a Premiership, your status is rightly elevated. If you happen to be almost best on ground and help us add another cup to the cabinet, you probably get my eternal worship.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #298 on: June 06, 2018, 02:42:08 PM »
Ellis  :clapping

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jayden Short is a humble and hungry Tiger (Age)
« Reply #299 on: June 06, 2018, 06:56:35 PM »
Jayden Short is a humble and hungry Tiger

By Peter Ryan
The Age
6 June 2018 — 5:03pmp

Jayden Short knows there is no room for complacency as he attempts to cement his spot in a Tigers' line-up looking to go back to back.

Last season, the 22-year-old defender played the first 16 games but lost form at the wrong time and was out of the side as Richmond charged to their first premiership for 37 years.

Short has not missed a game this season and was among the Tigers' best in the Dreamtime at the 'G,  helping set up the win with eight touches off half-back in a blistering opening term.

Not only does Short defend well but he has great balance on both sides of his body and a good leap that makes him play taller than his 178 centimetres might suggest.

And he shows no signs of disappointment at being on the fringe at the end of last season, bouncing back hard.

"I am loving my footy and they're just a great bunch of blokes to play with. We all love each other and it is awesome to be around," Short told Fairfax Media.

Hardwick conceded that Short was one of the unlucky tales of last season, named as an emergency for the grand final, but he has not put a foot wrong this year and the coach thinks Short is one of the most-improved players in the competition.

"The hard thing about our game is he [Short] plays 16 games last year and Jack Graham plays five. Jack Graham gets a medal, Jayden Short doesn't. Ask me which one I value more, I value them the same," Hardwick said.

"He is one of the most improved players in the competition in my opinion and he will continue to get better again."

Short understands he has areas to work on as he pushes towards 50 games so he doesn't have time to put his head up and look into the distance.

"I don't put too much pressure on myself. I'm just backing myself and playing to my strengths. I want to play AFL football so I want to stay in the team. I will try to do the best I can to stay in the team," Short said.

That battle for spots is only going to intensify as the finals close in with five players who did not play in last year's flag in the team against Essendon last weekend.

Bachar Houli, Dion Prestia, Daniel Rioli, Jacob Townsend and Jason Castagna are all prospects to return when ready.

If that selection pressure isn't enough to keep the players grounded, Hardwick says their love of winning is so strong he doesn't have to work too hard to keep the team on track.

"They're very humble and they're very hungry," Hardwick said.

"I don't need to prod these guys that much."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/jayden-short-is-a-humble-and-hungry-tiger-20180603-p4zj5i.html