Author Topic: Jayden Short [merged]  (Read 171581 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Jayden Short [merged]
« Reply #435 on: September 21, 2019, 08:07:39 PM »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #436 on: September 21, 2019, 08:11:50 PM »
BEllis gets a game every week too ... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #437 on: September 21, 2019, 08:20:48 PM »
BEllis gets a game every week too ... :shh

How dare you drag Brave Brando into this..... >:(
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #438 on: September 21, 2019, 08:23:12 PM »
C;mon now AT you know what I'm getting at... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #439 on: September 21, 2019, 08:24:18 PM »
:shh :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #440 on: September 25, 2019, 01:22:15 AM »
Hard luck has taught Tiger there's no shortcut to success

AFL.com.au
Ben Collins
Sep 24, 2019

JAYDEN Short is one of the most buoyant characters at Punt Road, but the dashing defender concedes there have been times he's doubted whether would get a chance to play in a Grand Final.

The 23-year-old former rookie from Melbourne's northern suburbs has faced several challenges at Tigerland over the past two years.

In 2017 Short played 16 of Richmond's first 17 games before being dropped, and was an emergency for the Grand Final when Richmond belted Adelaide.

After undergoing post-season shoulder surgery to fix a problem he'd carried since his debut against Collingwood early in 2016, his pre-season leading into 2018 was limited.

However, the 178cm speedster played every game last year, only for the Tigers to spectacularly succumb to the Magpies in the preliminary final.

Early this year they were at long odds to make it to the last Saturday in September after key players were struck down by injuries.

Short was also sidelined long-term after suffering a sickening dislocation of his right elbow in the 49-point loss to eventual Grand Final opponent Greater Western Sydney at Giants Stadium in round three. He missed 10 games but hasn't missed a beat since.

"There's always doubts running through your head. Things happen," Short told AFL.com.au.

"Last year we missed out and obviously we're looking forward to this year and getting some redemption.

"Early in the year I went down with an injury and didn't know where I'd be at (with a) dislocated elbow. I'd never had that before, and I'd never really heard many stories of a dislocated elbow. I didn't really know what I was in for, but to come back and play a little part in what we're doing is pretty special."

There's also a pretty special feeling in the Northcote house Short shares with teammates Liam Baker and Dan Butler. Baker will also line up in his first Grand Final alongside Short in defence, while 2017 premiership forward Butler is set to miss out but has been a handy source of advice, reinforcing the importance of enjoying the week because "it might not come around again".

"It's obviously pretty exciting. Liam's a real upbeat character and I enjoy living with him, as I (enjoy) living with Dan as well. Just to be able to go home and talk about it – Dan was there in 2017 so he's given us some tips and (is) talking us through what we can expect," Short said.

"To live with Liam, he's always excited and you can't really wipe the smile off his face at the moment so it's good."

Richmond captain Trent Cotchin told reporters on Monday that Short, like his mate 'Bakes', was "an amazing energy source" for the Tigers, with the pair "always up and about".

The affable Short explained he was always looking for fun, where appropriate.

"We're encouraged to be ourselves and we've got so many different characters here. I just come in here and be myself. Early days I was probably a little bit hot but the boys have embraced me," he said.

"I just love having a laugh and trying to get a laugh out of most of the boys, and have some fun while we're here because I think that's the best part about it."

Watching his teammates achieve the ultimate two years ago remains a major motivating force for the 70-gamer as he prepares to take on Giants small forwards such as Brent Daniels and Toby Greene.

"I've just wanted to be part of it throughout the whole year and obviously I missed out in 2017 and I saw how much fun the boys had. I played a few games that year and I had fun myself as well but wasn't one of the lucky ones to play in the game," he said.

"Just to see them enjoy such a good week drove me and I just wanted to be a part of it, and not put myself in the position where I could miss out again."

Short can't help but consider the example of teammate Kane Lambert, another ex-rookie and a former housemate, who helped him appreciate the value of embracing hard work and backing his strengths.

"I lived with Kane Lambert for two-and-a-half years and he's one person I look up to who epitomises the Richmond man and hard work. He had to fight his way for five or six years in the VFL system before he got his opportunity and I've seen how hard he's worked and the player he's become," Short said.

Short's greatest strength is his long, precise kicking. The Giants will also be on alert to prevent him from taking a handball from a teammate for a long shot at goal.

"We've got 'Lynchy' (Tom Lynch) backing himself from about 60 and he's kicking them, so I've veered away from running past him. I haven't kicked too many this year but I wouldn't mind a couple on the last day," he said.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-24/hard-luck-has-taught-tiger-theres-no-shortcut-to-success

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #441 on: September 29, 2019, 07:09:12 AM »
Jayden Short – 6

As polished as ever from half-back. While there was chaos all around him in the first half, Short barely wasted a disposal. Finished with 19 for the day to go with seven marks.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-28/player-ratings-richmond

JAYDEN SHORT 7

Missed the 2017 Grand Final after being named an emergency. Set off the sirens at times in the GWS coaching box with his rebound from halfback.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/afl-grand-final-player-ratings-dustin-martin-and-bachar-houli-shine-toby-green-phil-davis-flop/news-story/3b13f40fe020027c0e71ae275f356ff2

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #442 on: September 29, 2019, 03:40:35 PM »
Shorty played well in all finals stepped up bigtime.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #443 on: September 29, 2019, 06:28:07 PM »
Tiger goes from heartbreak to joy in three short years

AFL.com.au
Marc McGowan
Sep 29, 2019

JAYDEN Short's premiership redemption story isn't a solo one.

The long-kicking Richmond defender spent 2017 Grand Final day heartbreakingly watching on as one of the emergencies, after playing 16 of the club's first 17 games that season.

What was a triumphant day for the Tigers was a bittersweet one for Short, who was thrilled for his teammates but dealing with his own disappointment.

However, another person felt the hurt every bit as much, according to the 23-year-old.

"Dad's been there since day dot playing footy, and he coached me throughout my juniors (at Mill Park), so to see him here today, on the big stage, and obviously to get the win, it's just amazing," Short told AFL.com.au.

"He's been through thick and thin with me. He felt 2017 pretty hard on himself as well, so it's just incredible I can repay him for that.

"He's given me a lot growing up – so has Mum – but footy-wise, Dad's been huge for me and just to be able to show him this (premiership medallion) is amazing. I love him."

Short's true arrival as an AFL footballer was last year, when he averaged 20 disposals and led the AFL in metres gained, but Richmond suffered a shock preliminary final defeat to Collingwood.

Then, he spent three months on the sidelines because of a gruesome right elbow dislocation.

"I had some doubts about getting back or what kind of footy I could get back to playing but we've got the best physios and doctors in the League," Short said.

"That gave me great confidence that I could get back and have an impact, and here we are today. I'm so grateful to be back and playing with these boys."

Short's round 15 return against St Kilda coincided with six other teammates coming into the senior side and the start of the Tigers' unbroken 12-match winning run to flag glory.

It's his first premiership, as well as housemate Liam Baker's, but Richmond's second in three seasons, entrenching the club as a modern football powerhouse.

"If you think about it like that, it's pretty cool," Short said.

"Us boys just love being together and at the end of the day these are what you play for and I'm grateful to be here and all the other boys are as well.

"It's just an awesome place to be.

"There's a great vibe every day and you get to come to work and be with 44 of your best mates every day, so it's pretty awesome and I'm really appreciative of that."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-29/tiger-goes-from-heartbreak-to-joy-in-three-short-years

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #444 on: September 29, 2019, 08:41:59 PM »
 :clapping just  :clapping

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #445 on: September 30, 2019, 11:01:06 AM »
I'll have the watch the replay - I didn't think he had a great game from what I could see? I thought his kicking wasn't great, especially given that this is his key attribute.

With Baker looking very competitive down back, Houli in career best form, and Stack likely to return next year I would have thought Short should be looking over his shoulder.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #446 on: September 30, 2019, 11:44:38 AM »
Yeah I'm not big on bagging players after a great day but I'm slightly confused at the accolades. He's a premiership player and deserves it but I thought his kicking was heinous. Not that I GAF, still on cloud 9 tbh.

We're all Tigers.

Yeeha

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #447 on: January 05, 2020, 07:35:40 AM »
jaydenshort_

As 2020 begins it saddens me to say that 2019 ended in the worst possible way, Dad fought a long hard battle and in the end it proved to be too much to overcome. You will forever be the reason I wake up motivated and I will continue to try and make you proud. I love you Dad I’ll be forever grateful and always proud ❤️❤️❤️

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6wStmvATUx/

:(

Our condolences to Jayden and the rest of the Short family.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #448 on: January 05, 2020, 05:14:20 PM »
jaydenshort_

As 2020 begins it saddens me to say that 2019 ended in the worst possible way, Dad fought a long hard battle and in the end it proved to be too much to overcome. You will forever be the reason I wake up motivated and I will continue to try and make you proud. I love you Dad I’ll be forever grateful and always proud ❤️❤️❤️

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6wStmvATUx/

:(Hi

Our condolences to Jayden and the rest of the Short family.
Sad to hear...

All the best Jayden and family.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #449 on: January 05, 2020, 10:39:15 PM »
Yep most certainly condolences to Short and family.

But in a footy sense his off field circumstances should not detract from what he offers on the footy field or when we talk about his footy.

As nice as i can put put his footy exploits is he is marginally better than Ellis.