Author Topic: Jayden Short [merged]  (Read 171399 times)

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jayden Short [merged]
« Reply #465 on: January 15, 2020, 03:55:58 PM »
Heres a novel idea how about we go out and find a small backman who can actually defend an opponent. Who can win a bit of ball for himself, who isnt almost entirely reliant on his teammates getting it to him. Who can provide run, make good decisions with ball in hand not neccesarily having to be a great kick but use it well.A player who doesnt panic a player who will accept a bit of contact when needed a player who lets opponents know he is about the place.

But that would mean a premiership player in Short wont play, but wait fmd hes got a great kick on him we cant contemplate looking for a more rounded option with that in mind.

Everyone talking this joker up he really is a glass half full.
What ive seen of DE-S he looks a far better more rounded defender than Short. Stack jumps out at ya and if Picketts history is anything to go by he would make a great h/b at senior level.
Options we have plenty the question is are they better options than the glass half full one we play.

On his exposed AFL form, there is no way DES is a more rounded defender than Short.  DES is level headed with ball in hand but he couldn't win a 1 on 1 to save himself last year.  He needs a lot of work on his defensive ability and, plus, he's a god kick but not an elite kick like Short.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #466 on: January 15, 2020, 05:39:09 PM »
Heres a novel idea how about we go out and find a small backman who can actually defend an opponent. Who can win a bit of ball for himself, who isnt almost entirely reliant on his teammates getting it to him. Who can provide run, make good decisions with ball in hand not neccesarily having to be a great kick but use it well.A player who doesnt panic a player who will accept a bit of contact when needed a player who lets opponents know he is about the place.

But that would mean a premiership player in Short wont play, but wait fmd hes got a great kick on him we cant contemplate looking for a more rounded option with that in mind.

What ive seen of DE-S he looks a far better more rounded defender than Short. Stack jumps out at ya and if Picketts history is anything to go by he would make a great h/b at senior level.
Options we have plenty the question is are they better options than the glass half full one we play.

Claw - DES does have potential however is a long way from the level Short has achieved. I think the comments regards to Shot not being able to defend are way of the mark. Sure, this is not his greatest strength however it doesn't need to be as he compliments the current back 7 beautifully. BTW have you seen DES play live? To fully ascertain a players true ability, i believe you must see them play live on multiple occasions. You see things the TV doesn't.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #467 on: January 15, 2020, 07:25:36 PM »

Claw - DES does have potential however is a long way from the level Short has achieved. I think the comments regards to Shot not being able to defend are way of the mark. Sure, this is not his greatest strength however it doesn't need to be as he compliments the current back 7 beautifully. BTW have you seen DES play live? To fully ascertain a players true ability, i believe you must see them play live on multiple occasions. You see things the TV doesn't.

Nope havent seen him live but what i have seen tele highlights etc i really like.He looks composed doesnt panic in traffic intercepts real well will get a bit of ball for himself  at least competes one v one makes good decisions with the ball and his kicking is good enough.
For me all Short offers is a good boot its not enough and thats not to mention other issues i have with him.

The best small fwd we have atm is Stack and we choose to play him else where to accomodate players like Short is laughable.
Marlion Pickett is another.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #468 on: January 31, 2020, 10:43:44 AM »

Nope havent seen him live but what i have seen tele highlights etc i really like.He looks composed doesnt panic in traffic intercepts real well will get a bit of ball for himself  at least competes one v one makes good decisions with the ball and his kicking is good enough.
For me all Short offers is a good boot its not enough and thats not to mention other issues i have with him.

The best small fwd we have atm is Stack and we choose to play him else where to accomodate players like Short is laughable.
Marlion Pickett is another.

"Laughable"  :lol Yes they truly have NFI down at the RFC. If only you were running the show, then we might actually have a chance at some success!

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #469 on: January 31, 2020, 03:35:32 PM »
Egg looked ok against the Gold Coast, but a week later (GWS?) he looked way out of his depth.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #470 on: January 31, 2020, 05:18:06 PM »
Egg looked ok against the Gold Coast, but a week later (GWS?) he looked way out of his depth.

Yep it was GWS and yes was way out his depth.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #471 on: January 31, 2020, 05:30:16 PM »
I think jayden is harshly judged. Hes not top notch but he goes ok for his role.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #472 on: January 31, 2020, 06:59:20 PM »
They need to bag someone :shh

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #473 on: March 04, 2020, 03:29:34 PM »
The teammate who inspired Short’s Richmond breakthrough

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
4 March 2020

Jayden Short is forever indebted to Richmond teammate Kane Lambert.

The pair were both selected by the Tigers in the 2015 rookie draft and over the course of the last few seasons, have become vital players in the yellow and black.

Lambert has played in two premierships while Short endured 2017 heartache, missing out on the flag, which was the catalyst for his personal redemption.

“It hurt me a fair bit. I’d seen how good it was for the 22 players,” he said on SEN Breakfast.

“I just wanted to be a part of everything the Richmond Football Club was involved in.

“I set myself a goal to try and play every game and make myself a lock in the team.”

The 24-year-old would quickly force his way into the Richmond side in 2018 before playing in last year’s Grand Final demolition of GWS after recovering from an elbow injury sustained early in the 2019 season.

How that breakthrough came about was largely due to the influence of Lambert, who had been frequently overlooked before getting his chance at the age of 23.

“I lived with Kane Lambert for two-and-a-half years I saw how hard he had to work,” Short added.

“I was only a 19 or 20-year-old kid and you tell yourself, ‘It will happen, just give it a bit of time’, but the harder you work the luckier you get.

“That’s the motto Kane lived off. I just strived to do everything he did and trained the way he did, eat what he ate and just lived the lifestyle he lived.

“It paid off in the end and I’m very grateful for him.”

Short and Lambert took an off-season trip to Vietnam, but such is their diligence to continue improving, there was not much downtime as they went about preparing for the club's 2020 title defence.

“With Kane it can sort of go anywhere when you are training,” Short said further.

“It could go from a 10km session to a 15km session pretty quick. You just don’t ask questions, you just do what he does. He’s got that persona. I just love hanging around with him.

“The way he goes about his footy and his life is just amazing, so I was lucky to live with him and to learn from him.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/03/04/the-teammate-who-inspired-shorts-richmond-breakthrough/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #474 on: April 04, 2020, 08:55:42 PM »
On the tools: Premiership Tiger turns to the worksite

By Mitch Cleary
afl.com.au
4 April 2020

RICHMOND fans keep your eyes peeled; premiership defender Jayden Short is coming to a home near you.

The 24-year-old has turned to life as a local footballer, combining his shutdown training load with working four days a week as a carpenter.

Less than a fortnight after playing in the Tigers' round one win over Carlton, Short has joined a former schoolmate on the tools after being forced away from the club.

With games off until at least May 31, players across the AFL are dispersing to part-time work before they are recalled to training – a move that will come four weeks before a return to play is announced.

Short has opted to put into action a carpentry apprenticeship he gained in a program via the Tigers in recent years. 

"I'm doing four days this week with a mate of mine, he's out on his own," Short told AFL.com.au this week.

"He probably doesn't need me but he's giving me a chop-out with some work which is really good of him.

"We're doing anything that needs to be done, hanging some doors, putting a roof on a pergola. It's been good not just being tied down at one house."

Drafted as a rookie ahead of 2015, Short has quickly become one of the Tigers' most damaging backmen after narrowly missing selection for the 2017 flag.

And after leading the competition in metres gained in 2018, he tasted he tasted premiership success for the first time last year.

But that's quickly forgotten on the worksite.

"You definitely become a lot more grateful for what we've got playing football, I tell you what, not having to wake up at 5.30am every morning," he said.

"We get to go to the club, everything's there, lunch is served for us.

"Even preparing your lunch the night before it's something different and I'm enjoying that at the moment.

"I actually had a Thai green curry for lunch on Thursday. Have been going with tuna, salmon, rice and stuff like that. I haven't really gone down the tradie lunches just yet."

Once the work day is done, Short clicks back into football mode, completing three running and skills sessions a week with teammate – and fellow builder – Kamdyn McIntosh who has been working on Tiger Jason Castagna's house.

"It's obviously a bit different, working a full day on the tools and then have to bust your arse and continue to stay fit," he said.

"It gives you more appreciation for what our VFL boys do and the local footballers."

When he's not making a midweek pork roast, Short is attending to the gym circuit and stationary bike he's set up in his bungalow.

And then there's the all-in teleconference chats via 'Zoom' to check in on what his Tiger teammates are up to.

The bonus – housemate and premiership teammate Liam Baker has vacated and returned home to regional WA to give him a bit more breathing space away from the tools.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/390742/on-the-tools-premiership-tiger-turns-to-the-worksite

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #475 on: August 04, 2020, 10:13:48 PM »
Short another with huge metres gained tonight - 577m. Also had a perfect record by hand and foot.

23 disposals @ 100% efficiency
4 marks
2 inside 50s
6 intercepts
6 score involvements

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #476 on: August 04, 2020, 10:16:02 PM »
 :clapping :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #477 on: August 04, 2020, 10:18:24 PM »
 :lol
Some would have you believe he’s a turnover merchant and a sideways kicker.
I think he’s a solid contributor most games.
Excellent game tonight.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #478 on: August 04, 2020, 10:40:13 PM »
LMAO when were commentators were applauding him for going hard in the contest and it turned out it was Aarts.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #479 on: August 05, 2020, 12:15:50 AM »
Lol. 23 at 100% and Dio still finds a way to bag him.