Author Topic: Jayden Short [merged]  (Read 171397 times)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Jayden Short [merged]
« Reply #735 on: October 13, 2022, 11:07:24 AM »
In our best 22 for mine. Even if you don’t rate his midfield work, he is our best or second best run and carry player/half back flanker. Rioli got a lot of plaudits this season (and rightly so) but let’s not forget shorty was performing that same role to a similar high standard since 2018 even up to about the midway point this year until he got moved into midfield to cover injuries. The fact that he has the ability to pinch hit in the midfield and offer something different is only a + for me.

Blair mentioned that we had been targeting TT and Hopps for the past 1-2 years so while knowing that one or both those boys were potentially signing at the end of the season, the club still went ahead and resigned short to a long term deal. Tells you all you need to know about how the club value him imo.

Until a player can provide what shorty does as consistently as he does then he stays in the team. Not going to select an inferior player to him just because they happen to be a few years younger.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #736 on: October 13, 2022, 11:46:30 AM »
Good player, maybe not a pure inside mid but can rotate between pretty much all of HB, outside mid, wing and HF to snag a goal.

Good player to have on your bench IMO

Broadsword

« Reply #737 on: October 13, 2022, 01:29:42 PM »
I mean, even if he's not suddenly in our best 22, that is a really good thing, is it not? So I'm not worried either way: happy for him to play; happy to have 22 others so good that the 2020 Jack Dyer medalist is 'depth'.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #738 on: October 18, 2022, 11:31:28 PM »
In our best 22 for mine. Even if you don’t rate his midfield work, he is our best or second best run and carry player/half back flanker. Rioli got a lot of plaudits this season (and rightly so) but let’s not forget shorty was performing that same role to a similar high standard since 2018 even up to about the midway point this year until he got moved into midfield to cover injuries. The fact that he has the ability to pinch hit in the midfield and offer something different is only a + for me.

Blair mentioned that we had been targeting TT and Hopps for the past 1-2 years so while knowing that one or both those boys were potentially signing at the end of the season, the club still went ahead and resigned short to a long term deal. Tells you all you need to know about how the club value him imo.

Until a player can provide what shorty does as consistently as he does then he stays in the team. Not going to select an inferior player to him just because they happen to be a few years younger.

We already found a player who actually offers more than Short. That is Rioli. And while Brown is not there yet i think he will be a better option moving fwd as well.

Funny soft hard running types have found a home across hb at tigerland over the last 10 or so years. Houli, Ellis Short come straight to mind and Rioli took to it like a duck to water. To be fair most clubs have had them and found them easy enough.
Its a place to blood kids or as a last resort save a players career.

Yes  the role they are asked to play is a role that in the past has been reserved for kids with pace and good skills.
If we look im sure it won't be hard to find others. Would not mind them trying someone like Dow there and of Course Brown and Banks were recruited as running half backs and Ralphsmith would thrive there as well in that outside no contact role.

For me there is no longer a HB role there for him. he is well down the pecking order as a mid and sheesh Cumberland M Rioli and even Clarke are better fwd options not to mention the Mids we have who go thru there in Sonsie, Martin and Bolton.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #739 on: October 19, 2022, 01:00:29 AM »
So what your saying is that short is our second best run and carry player/half back flanker atm but you expect a younger player to overtake him to which both players you nominated are yet to play a single afl game between them. Sounds to me like he’s best 22. If a kid steps up and plays his role better than him then so be it however it’s quite clear from all your previous posts that you don’t rate short and would throw out any name as candidates to take his spot. I haven’t seen any characteristic from Dow that would suggest he would make a good half back flanker, he doesn’t possess speed or strong kicking skills so not sure why you’ve thrown his name out there.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #740 on: October 19, 2022, 09:50:22 AM »
Stray thought. Does short have the tank to play wing? I was thinking that Scully at his peak was one of the best wingman I’ve seen. With short’s raking kick does anyone know if he could build the tank to be shifted to that role ?

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #741 on: October 19, 2022, 01:14:57 PM »
Sure hes got the tank, he just doesn't provide any of the defensive skill that Mcintosh has or the aggression of Pickett
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #742 on: December 26, 2022, 12:41:38 PM »
Jayden Short will enter the 2023 season as the player with the most consecutive AFL games on Richmond’s list.

The two-time premiership Tiger and 2020 Jack Dyer Medallist has played 78 consecutive games since Round 15 of the 2019 season.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1260178/short-s-durability-highlighted

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #743 on: January 11, 2023, 12:33:37 AM »
So what your saying is that short is our second best run and carry player/half back flanker atm but you expect a younger player to overtake him to which both players you nominated are yet to play a single afl game between them. Sounds to me like he’s best 22. If a kid steps up and plays his role better than him then so be it however it’s quite clear from all your previous posts that you don’t rate short and would throw out any name as candidates to take his spot. I haven’t seen any characteristic from Dow that would suggest he would make a good half back flanker, he doesn’t possess speed or strong kicking skills so not sure why you’ve thrown his name out there.
Nope i dont think him as good a  run and carry player as people rave on about. l what is evident is the more congested it gets the more he panics.
And while plenty carry on about his kicking i think its not as good as people think.

Stop and think about the role he actually plays ffs. Dan Rioli took to it like a duck on water. Most kids coming into the game manage to play the role pretty well and if persevered with there get raved about just like Short. Lots of older players who struggle ressurect careers when thrown there. Think about it its an easy possession look a million bucks role and people rave about em..

The simple fact is he is not in the best 6 in defense atm, we are picking Vlastuin Grimes, Broad, Rioli, Tarrant and Balta or Gibcus in front of him every day of the week. We also have two wingers who get back and do a lot of work coming out of defense.

Personally if the role has to go to an outside runner then id be inclined to give it to HR-S  who actually has explosive line breaking pace and better delivery imo . And from the little ive seen Brown Banks and Smith have better ALL ROUND SKILLS  for the role. Why draft these half backs if we are not going to play em there.
As for a mid role cmon he is well down the order its laughable for anyone to suggest otherwise.

You want to play him fwd the following all say hello Bolton, Martin, Rioli, Cumberland Taranto Sonsie.

You think im kicking him but i just think others are better suited in the roles he does or gone past him.

Best 23  as a running player maybe just.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #744 on: January 11, 2023, 09:23:20 AM »
Think he could be one who slides down the pecking order this year.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #745 on: January 11, 2023, 02:24:28 PM »
His replaceable for me and still maintain his tradeable.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #746 on: January 11, 2023, 06:11:20 PM »

Would need to be a large fall- can't see it :shh

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #747 on: January 11, 2023, 07:10:28 PM »
Basically everyone is tradeable. Shorty was signed to a juicy 5 year deal not long ago however, so you'd think the club are more than happy with how he's going. Do tend to agree that he's not in our strongest back six now, but off the bench and through the wing as well as forward works. Can play across 3 lines
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #748 on: January 11, 2023, 07:32:45 PM »

Would need to be a large fall- can't see it :shh

You can’t see any of them fall

Your best 22/23 has about 35 in it

Would love to know your actual best side currently, keeping in mind Jack Graham needs to be in it .. there will be some very unlucky and superior options missing in your side I think

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #749 on: January 11, 2023, 07:45:53 PM »
:lol