Author Topic: Jason Castagna [merged]  (Read 152081 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jason Castagna [merged]
« Reply #210 on: March 22, 2017, 12:51:16 PM »
George is by no means a star and probably will never be but I liked the look of this kid from day one, as did the Doc.
He runs hard, tackles, isn't scared, plays with real passion and basically just has a crack.
I hope this year he can cement a spot in our best 22 as he makes footy enjoyable to watch.
Congrats to the young man or his hard work.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #211 on: March 22, 2017, 01:09:23 PM »
George is by no means a star and probably will never be but I liked the look of this kid from day one, as did the Doc.
He runs hard, tackles, isn't scared, plays with real passion and basically just has a crack.
I hope this year he can cement a spot in our best 22 as he makes footy enjoyable to watch.

:clapping

Spot on
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #212 on: March 22, 2017, 01:15:54 PM »

oh for a few more footballers like that.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #213 on: March 22, 2017, 01:45:28 PM »
Well deserved, kid has good pace, intent and pretty good goal smarts. Just hope he sticks to the easy option (most likely the handball) and doesn't kick too much and he should be good :thumbsup

Ruanaidh

« Reply #214 on: March 22, 2017, 03:15:19 PM »
Ironically, I reckon George should be played down back where his pace can be fully exploited. Short, on the other hand can utilise his superb kicking, crumbing nouse and quick hand to foot snapping to great effect up forward. In any case it is good to see him get promoted.

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #215 on: March 22, 2017, 07:30:33 PM »
Yeah it was a good call.Personally i have wanted us to develop him as a lock down sml defender who will run hard when the opportunity arises.
Main reason ive argued this is he has done real well in the role and the two  facts  we already have a plethora of sml Fwds and are screaming out still for a sml defender with his attributes to lock down on dangerous smalls.You would take George over Bellis Hunt Houli and what he can potentially bring every day of the week.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #216 on: March 25, 2017, 12:01:41 AM »
Castagna shines

richmondfc.com.au
March 24, 2017

Lively Richmond forward Jason Castagna seized the opportunity presented to him at Tigerland this week.

Promoted from the rookie list to the primary list on the eve of the season, and then selected in Richmond’s senior side for the opening round clash with Carlton, Castagna produced an impressive performance.

He had 20 disposals, including 10 contested possessions, 10 score involvements and five inside-50s, took three marks (all inside forward-50), applied four tackles, kicked two goals (2.4), and formed a potent partnership in the Tigers’ attack with fellow exciting, young, small forwards Daniel Rioli and Dan Butler (six goals all-up between the three of them).

“The pressure up forward, with those two boys running and tackling, helps me out to do the same,” Castagna told ‘ABC Grandstand’ post-match.

“We trained with each other all pre-season . . . I think we know each other’s strengths pretty well.

“We’re just playing our role. We’ve got great tall forwards like (Jack) Riewoldt and ‘Griffo’ (Ben Griffiths), and we just try and get to their feet . . .

“We can count on them to bring it to the front of the pack all the time, and lucky enough, we got on the end of a few (against Carlton).”

Castagna, who played five games in his debut season of league football with Richmond last year, outlined his 2017 aspirations . . .

“Firstly, I just wanted to play Round 1, and I’ll take it week by week. Hopefully I can play out the season and keep kicking some goals . . . I was pretty flat with a few of the shots on goal (on Thursday night), but, hopefully, if I can just keep getting those shots, the goals will come,” he said.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-03-24/castagna-shines

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #217 on: March 26, 2017, 07:59:43 PM »
Was nice seeing us with some fast little blokes kicking carltanks arse for a change
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #218 on: March 26, 2017, 09:18:35 PM »
Was a very good game and a breath of fresh air but gee wiz that kicking :lol. Think some were a bit quick to use one game during the pre season to define his kicking skill level while ignoring every other game we've seen

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #219 on: March 26, 2017, 09:30:14 PM »
Probably needs to do the Foley and handball more

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #220 on: July 29, 2017, 08:26:45 PM »
Is not AFL standard.

tony_montana

« Reply #221 on: July 29, 2017, 08:28:27 PM »
Everything bar his kicking for goal is,

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #222 on: July 29, 2017, 08:29:21 PM »
No need to duplicate threads

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #223 on: July 29, 2017, 08:31:17 PM »

His decision making looks very poor to me. Might improve with experience, but not up to AFL standard at the moment.

tony_montana

« Reply #224 on: July 29, 2017, 08:33:18 PM »

His decision making looks very poor to me. Might improve with experience, but not up to AFL standard at the moment.

The stats, ie kicking goals, tackles would suggest otherwise, I'd argue that if he improved his goal kicking he'd be an elite small fwd already. 19 goals 16 is pretty handy for someone not up to AFL standard wouldn't you think?

But I do agree he needs to improve decision making as well, I think he's one of those players whose errors really stand out and a lot of his good work gets forgotten.