Author Topic: Jason Castagna [merged]  (Read 168693 times)

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
Re: Georgie announces retirement
« Reply #795 on: February 27, 2023, 02:59:08 PM »
Congrats Georgie. All the best. :thumbsup

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #796 on: February 27, 2023, 03:00:38 PM »
Slight shame it wasn't 2-3 weeks ago so we could look at Narkle.

EDIT: Gives blokes a chance to work their butts off to get a look in for MSD.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #797 on: February 27, 2023, 03:53:47 PM »
He had many flaws but will always be a RFC premiership player x 3. Not many get to say that
Thank you Jason.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #798 on: February 27, 2023, 04:04:00 PM »
Triple-flag Tiger in shock retirement, 17 days from R1

Speedy forward hangs up his boots, effective immediately

By Martin Smith
afl.com.au
27 February 2023

THREE-time Richmond premiership player Jason Castagna has announced his shock retirement from the AFL at the age of 26.

Castagna informed his teammates on Monday, citing a lack of desire to continue at the highest level.

The small forward played 134 games for the Tigers, including their three premiership wins, having been taken at pick No.29 in the 2014 AFL Rookie Draft

"I love everything about this club and everyone in it, which has been the thing that has made this decision the hardest," he said.

"This game is such a demanding one physically and mentally, and something I have given my all to since I first walked in the doors here and for the years before that.

"Now that I cannot give that same energy, it has made me realise that I would be letting the boys and the Club down if I just coasted through and did not give it my all until the end, which has led me to this call."

Castagna's retirement comes less than two weeks after the end of the pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP), during which the Tigers could have filled the vacancy on its list.

With the SSP now closed, they will instead have to wait until the mid-season draft.

The Tigers signed country forward Kaelan Bradtke during the SSP ahead of former Geelong midfielder Quinton Narkle, who had been training with the club over summer.

The club announced earlier this month that Castagna would miss the start of the season due to a hamstring injury.

He played 16 games in 2022, his lowest tally since his debut year of 2016, and spent time in the midfield while in the VFL.

"Jason has been the ultimate teammate over the course of his 134 games at Richmond," said Richmond's footy boss Blair Hartley.

"He worked so hard on his craft to become an integral part of our team by playing a team-orientated and disciplined role in our forward line.

"Jason is so selfless and went about his business with minimum fuss. He set the tone with the pressure he created in the forward half of the ground through effort, grit and the ability to win or halve contests for the team.

"He has had a terrific career, playing an important role in three premierships, and can walk away proud of his achievements as an AFL footballer. We wish Jason and his family all the best for the next chapter, and he will always be a Richmond Man."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/878122/triple-flag-tiger-in-shock-retirement-17-days-from-r1

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #799 on: February 27, 2023, 04:08:49 PM »

His place in the side taken by Cotch, maybe?
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #800 on: February 27, 2023, 04:26:12 PM »

His place in the side taken by Cotch, maybe?
... what? He wasn't even in the side towards the end of last year

Anyway... thanks for your efforts Jason, they could never be questioned. 100 + games and goals for Richmond and 3 flags. That's a bloody good haul whatever way you look at it.

Hope you find enjoy in your footy again at the lower levels if you decide to have a kick. All the best   :gotigers
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #801 on: February 27, 2023, 05:04:31 PM »
Slight shame it wasn't 2-3 weeks ago so we could look at Narkle.

EDIT: Gives blokes a chance to work their butts off to get a look in for MSD.
Glad he didn’t, all due respect but I can’t see how Narkle is a step forward, if he was interested should have signed into our VFA instead of Essendons

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #802 on: February 27, 2023, 05:17:24 PM »
He kicked crunch goals in prelims and grand finals - so much respect for this .

Like most supporters- I feel he was now a depth player so I’m excited at the opportunity this will provide for our cubs .
Unleash the tornado

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #803 on: February 27, 2023, 05:27:19 PM »
Had to see the writing on the wall ages ago and only now does something about it. Anyway well done for at least not clogging the list up any longer.
Wish you all the best in future endevours.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #804 on: February 27, 2023, 05:58:39 PM »
Odd this doesn't happen 3 weeks ago.
Go Tigers!

Offline Jobba

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #805 on: February 27, 2023, 06:19:35 PM »

Suspect he didn’t truly know that he didn’t have the drive for it until about 3 days ago.

I’m also not 100% sure we would have taken Narkle even if he did.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #806 on: February 27, 2023, 06:26:33 PM »

Suspect he didn’t truly know that he didn’t have the drive for it until about 3 days ago.

Exactly. I'm sure he's had doubts for a while but finally realised he can't do it anymore, and that's fair enough

It's not as if he's put us out. If we can't cope for half a season without Narkle or anyone else we may have taken then gee.. I like that we get to see how we to and address any needs in the MSD now
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #807 on: February 27, 2023, 06:29:50 PM »
He had a role to play and he did it well.
He didn’t chase money like others - was on very low $, people forget that he had to work a day job when covid hit.

Ultimate team man.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #808 on: February 27, 2023, 06:33:06 PM »
Thanks for the Flags and the memories - Good luck George

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #809 on: February 27, 2023, 06:40:14 PM »
He had a role to play and he did it well.
He didn’t chase money like others - was on very low $, people forget that he had to work a day job when covid hit.

Ultimate team man.

Well said. Was a great mark for his size and real team player. I think he retired at the right time for the right reasons. Wish him all the best for the future.