Author Topic: Music appreciation thread  (Read 9817 times)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
Re: Musical appreciation thread
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 04:05:59 PM »
About to catch some shut eye and can't link anything at the moment but one of my favourite clips on youtube is Richie Sambora doing some improv on a 3 neck guitar before Dead or Alive. Also like looking up insanely gifted Asian kids playing ridiculously difficult video game themes on 8 string guitars and stuff.

I'm mostly into some pretty extreme stuff but more up the alley of many on this forum I'm really keen on Deep Purple (especially Machinehead), Rainbow and Dio era Sabbath, some early Eagles (dat guitar playing), and I remember dad also cranking Slade Alive a lot when I was a kid.

Musical interests differ greatly, so gear is a great topic. What is your set up tiga? Electric, acoustic? Ever stuffed around with DAWs and doing some recording? Always wonder how the hell drummers go when there are things like kids, neighbours, wives etc  ;D

dwaino I currently have a Roland TD-6 as I had to offload my ludwig acoustic kit because of kids and neighbours. It has mesh snare but all the other pads are rubber. Hoping to get a TD-20 in the near future. I also play piano badly.  ;D a mate of mine plays bass and we jam every now and then. Haven't used a DAW but I would love to try one out. Do most of my recording and editing on my standard PC. I have rigged up my TD6 to my xbox to play band hero lol.
So what about you? You play guitar don't you? Knowing you you've probably got a Gibson Les Paul!!

My bro in law does something similar with his Roland kit and rock band of something on ps3.

No don't have a gibbo  ;D one day maybe. I have an LTD eclipse that looks like one though lol. I'm a lefty so guitar selection and prices make it hard sometimes. Crown of my collection is a custom E - II (jap built ESP). Have a couple schecters, an ibanez,  most of which I've done pickup changes on. One is a 7 string. Run into a 100w Blackstar tube through a couple reverb and delay pedals. I have a Native Instruments interface and use the Sonar X3 DAW with amplitude,  but have put it away for a while. I recently rebuilt my Pc which is for gaming and I don't want to bloat it. Going to grab a mac soon so I can run Logic and dedicate it to recording.

Eat em alive who posts on here has a great guitar collection. After a 16 month wait he just got his hand crafted custom axe. It's really nice.
dwaino Just flip it like Hendrix!  ;D  Or you could ring up a store using your best Liverpudlian accent and say you are Paul McCartney and you are after the Beatles discount!  ;D As they say...Lefties tend to use the more creative side of their brain. I'm a leftie also.  :thumbsup Hardest thing for a left-hander is playing drums on a right hand kit. I sound like Rick Allen...... if He lost his other arm  ;D
I'm a huge Deep Purple fan! Ian Paice is one of my favorite drummers. Highway Star & Space Truckin two of my fave tracks.

You have a great selection of guitars. Mate of mine who is a guitar Teacher has an Ovation Elite. He is a big Satch fan and plays "circles" to perfection on it for the first 8 or 9 bars and then quickly switches to his Ibanez for the out of control solo stuff. Its awesome to watch and listen to.

dwaino

Re: Music appreciation thread
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 04:31:37 PM »
Satriani is a deadset machine. I can't get into the virtuosos though. Not out of disrespect but I just can't get into the vibe of just listening to entire albums of shred and wank. I'm a fan of a lot of death metal guitarists and Michael Romeo of the prog band Symphony X. I can mimic plenty of my other favorites but not him. He is just too good,  and the band in general just leaves my jaw on the ground with the guitar and keyboard lead trading. There is only so good you can get with time and regular practice, but then there are some people who are born with the talent to take them to the next level (see Ablett) and all the rest of us plebs are left to do is drool and admire.

I play a bit of bass too but haven't picked that up in yonks.  ;D the drummer in my last band was lefty and always gave techs at gigs a hard time when he had to rearrange racks and mics from right to left then back again when we were done. I'm useless on drums. Have tried so many times on friends kits and I'm just too unco. Arms and legs cannot work independently :lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 05:35:31 PM »
Off to the theatre tonight to see "Once: the musical"

Music is folk type stuff with abit of the Corrs thrown in
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 09:30:23 PM »
Not roxus

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 09:31:24 PM »
Anything bar cuntry

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 10:23:29 PM »

Nothing wrong with that!!   :thumbsup

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 02:26:39 PM »

Have to say it was absolutely brilliant

Loved the music. Good stuff

Was listening to Fleetwood Mac in the car this morning and yesterday was listening to Melissa Etheridge

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 07:49:17 PM »

Was listening to Fleetwood Mac in the car this morning and yesterday was listening to Melissa Etheridge
Fleetwood Mac  :thumbsup Melissa Etheridge "Somebody bring me some ear plugs"  ;D

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2015, 08:19:58 PM »

Fleetwood Mac  :thumbsup Melissa Etheridge "Somebody bring me some ear plugs"  ;D

She prefers ear muffs....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 09:55:32 PM »

She prefers ear flaps....

Edited for accuracy

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2015, 12:49:59 AM »
dwaino, here's one for you bud!

Shane Lee shredding like a madman doing freestyle as he puts it.  ;D
Someone once said that Shane's guitar style is akin to someone dropping a guitar down a flight of stairs.  ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsCZyZBHGDI

If you want more here is Shane Vocalising 5 octaves on the Piano  :lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZsBL4d1Eus

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2015, 02:10:25 AM »

Someone once said that Shane's guitar style is akin to someone dropping a guitar down a flight of stairs.  ;D

Thought that was going to be the cricketer Shane Lee who was in that band with his brother Brett....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

dwaino

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2015, 09:56:12 AM »

:lol love the comment "here's the tab..."

I was expecting the next youtube champ like how Rob Chapman or even Rick Graham.  ;D

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2015, 08:01:21 PM »

:lol love the comment "here's the tab..."

I was expecting the next youtube champ like how Rob Chapman or even Rick Graham.  ;D
the comments are the best part.  :lol Someone asked him to post a tutorial. I just thought this thread needed a bit of shade to add to the light, but on this occasion it was more like a nuclear winter than shade.  ;D

Moving on here's a bit of a novelty find.
Does anyone remember cousin Oliver from the Brady Bunch? Well here he is all grown up doing a pretty good cover of the classic Raspberries song " Go all the way".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwqooVQOOvQ

And you may have all seen this (2,000,000+ hits) but here's Andy McKee doing an amazing rendition of Toto's "Africa" on acoustic guitar. Love the fretboard action.  :clapping
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHFcg1Bg83w

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Musical appreciation thread
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 11:55:26 PM »

ps Dwaino - a brilliant virtual recording studio program is Ableton Live, version 5.  Downloadable, free & completely versatile - it does anything & everything!  Logic Audio is awesome too, but not as flexible or friendly, imo.   

Thanks for the tip JP! Just downloaded Ableton Live v9 on a 30 day trial and I'm going to have a crack at it over the next few days. Hoping I can create some guitar and keyboard tracks to accompany my drumming.  :thumbsup