Author Topic: Leighton Wood  (Read 5266 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Leighton Wood
« on: May 27, 2004, 12:40:45 AM »
Tigers eye major events man
By Caroline Wilson
May 27, 2004

Former Melbourne Commonwealth Games chief Leighton Wood has emerged as the frontrunner to take over the top job at Richmond following yesterday's departure of chief executive Ian Campbell.

Campbell became the latest casualty of the financial and political turmoil at Tigerland that resulted in three directors resigning on the eve of the season and the cash-strapped club facing a loss of $2 million in 2004.

Richmond president Clinton Casey, whose own performance has come under some scrutiny, yesterday could not rule out further administrative departures. One position understood to be under threat is that of the club's new business development manager Anthony Moore.

Now searching for his third CEO in less than two years, Casey spent the afternoon in talks with the Brisbane-based Wood, a former Kangaroos under 19s and reserves player. The Age understands Wood could be announced as Campbell's replacement as early as today.

Campbell became the latest casualty of apparently the toughest job in the AFL. There have been 67 club CEOs in the past six years. His departure comes at a time of turmoil for Richmond, the worst-performed club over more than two decades.

Campbell was the victim of a series of poor administrative decisions and neglect in the Tigers' marketing and corporate sales area - revealed in yesterday's Age - which has left a dearth in club revenues and in part forced the club to apply to the AFL for a bank redirection order in able to pay wages. Casey, who met yesterday with Richmond's major sponsor the TAC and key sponsor Motorola, said of Campbell's brief tenure: "You're disappointed if you get it wrong but that's just life. We all make mistakes. When we got his (Campbell's) CV from the AFL it read like a who's who in the areas of marketing and branding.

"Ian was very strong in certain areas but he didn't have all the attributes to cope with AFL football and all the things that go with it. If you find out you've got the wrong person I think it's important for both parties to quickly realise that."

One senior Richmond official said Campbell's decision to go did not come as a surprise. "(Campbell was lacking) in (getting) runs on the board, rolling his sleeves up.

"He was an amicable sort of person, no problems there, but you have to understand the unique nature of the business and you have seen over the years nine fail and the one succeeds."

Another member of the Richmond hierarchy contacted by The Age said Campbell was considered to have strengths on the marketing side but struggled to attract corporate dollars. "We will use it as an opportunity to get someone in who can fast-track us back into the black. We need someone who can crunch some deals for us.

"It was a hard gig for him coming in from 15 years in the States as a high corporate flyer in an organisation where they lose $20 million one year and it doesn't matter."

Campbell, a former Olympic long-jumper who represented Australia in the 1980 Moscow Olympics, moved home to Melbourne just over a year ago from Portland, Oregon, to take up the Richmond job.

A former Nike executive, he came strongly recommended by the AFL, which also put forward Campbell's name as a potential CEO to Carlton. Interestingly, Wood, 44, has also been recommended by the AFL. He had been overlooked by the Tigers last time.

Wood worked as deputy CEO to Bulldogs chief executive Campbell Rose when the latter ran the Melbourne Major Events Committee. He succeeded Rose as chief executive of the Melbourne Commonwealth Games Bid but departed after falling out with chairman Ron Walker.

Wood had health problems relating to a debilitating back injury but these are understood to have improved following surgery last year. Casey confirmed he had spoken yesterday with Wood but added: "It's too early to be commenting on Ian's replacement. I've spoken to a number of candidates and I'm keen to make an announcement soon."

Casey said the club would establish an advisory committee in a bid to engage supporters and find the right candidates to fill the vacancies on the Richmond board. "The suggestion that no one wants to join the board is wrong," Casey said.

"I've had dozens of interested candidates but I'm not going to put just anyone on.

"The lack of a former player is no big deal when (football operations chief) Greg Miller is doing such a great job.

"One priority is to place a woman on the board and I've had a number of meetings with numerous females who are keen."

Campbell's position had been under threat for some time, but Casey said yesterday: "He put his hand up and said, 'I don't think I'm the right man for the job. Let's part company.' " Casey said Campbell did not have a contract.

Campbell made a brief statement on Richmond's website yesterday, thanking the club for its support.

- with Lyall Johnson

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/05/26/1085461833771.html?oneclick=true
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

PuntRdRoar

Re: Leighton Wood
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 09:53:14 AM »
Leighton has tremendous credentials. The tigers need to get Wood in as CEO. Hes a top candidate. The changes however need to go further. We need a new President and a new board. The Football Department needs to go with the exception only of Greg Miller. We need a new Recruiting Manager. We need a cleanout...and when all that happens we need to clean out another 12 blokes from the list who arent up to it. The next 6 weeks are going to be tremendously hard games. If we lose them all and end up at 4 and 11 then a decision has to be made to finish on the bottom and to get a priority pick as well. This years draft is good at the top end. Brett Deledio, Lance Franklin, Jarryd Roughead and Fabian De Luca are all young players who could help us long term. With Daniel Jackson and Alex Gilmour developing nicely at School level and at Coburg...next year could look promising.

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 10:04:32 AM »
Excuse my pessimism but when IC came on board l though it was about the best CV possible!
Why is the CEOs job seemingly untenable at Richmond?
If casey hires Wood,then lt'll be strange to see him support a move to oust Casey too.
Not that l disagree with your comments regarding replacing the board and particularly the failed Greg Beck.They've had ample time and were going down like the Hindenburg.
I recall reading that Miller was on a handshake agreement with the club, can anyone validate this??
Worrying if true....he might look around and think its just not worth sticking around at such a rabble

:'(
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Ox

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 10:45:15 AM »
stuff the lot of them.

It's not even the RFC anymore,it's a mutant.

I'm over it.

See yas' !!!

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 10:50:04 AM »
Excuse my pessimism but when IC came on board l though it was about the best CV possible!
Why is the CEOs job seemingly untenable at Richmond?
If casey hires Wood,then lt'll be strange to see him support a move to oust Casey too.
Not that l disagree with your comments regarding replacing the board and particularly the failed Greg Beck.They've had ample time and were going down like the Hindenburg.
I recall reading that Miller was on a handshake agreement with the club, can anyone validate this??
Worrying if true....he might look around and think its just not worth sticking around at such a rabble

:'(

Ian Campbell was more than capable of doing the job some of us believed he was employed to do.  And some of the things he was able to put in place in a short time seemed to have worked well.  But I don’t know that the job he finished up doing was what he was suited to and therefore capable of dealing with.

He had previously sounded genuinely committed to and enthusiastic about the future of the Club.  So something major has happened over the past few months, in order for him to exit so suddenly.

I don’t think it’s just at Richmond though that the CEO’s job is untenable, as evidenced by the number of CEOs that have come and gone in the AFL over the last few years.  So you have to wonder whether it’s time Clubs looked at the job in a different way, because there’s obviously a lot of responsibility, pressure and demands being placed on these people that some of them end up doing more than what’s on the job description and it’s probably more than they can cope with or are qualified to do.

I’m pretty certain that Greg Miller does have a handshake agreement with RFC.

Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 02:31:23 PM »
Its funny how everyone was praising the CV man, Ian Campbell, as one of our saviours and now people are calling him a dud.  It just goes to show that you shouldn't judge someone on their CV and past supposed reputation.

Same goes for Miller.  If he wants to jump ship when Casey is booted off, then let him.  IMO he has done nothing so far to convince me that he is heading us in the right directon.  Under his directorship we have recruited Fleming, Nichols, Blumfied, Fletcher, Marsh, Weller, and Morrison, who are all mature aged rejects discarded from other clubs.  The recruiting of Johnson and Brown will also take the club backwards many years as it was a short sighted, wall paper over cracks, recriting decision.  We are so far off "topping up" our list its not funny, and if we eventually get our act together and start to be competitive, these 2 will be cashing in their retirement cheques.

Also we recruited a heap of youngsters, most of which appear very speculative at this stage. 

As I said, people mistakenly pre-judged Campbell and I beleive they have also made a pre-mature judgement on Miller.  Judge him on results.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 02:37:02 PM »
I reckon sometimes that the club could be run better by the supporters!! after reading a few threads by a number of ppl they seem to be on ground level and not away with the faeries!

atleast if there was a disagreement among supporters then we could have scenes like those in the japanese parliment were its an in for all fight!!
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline wrennyboy

• Future Richmond star
  • Captain Coughlan
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 02:46:59 PM »
The next 6 weeks are going to be tremendously hard games. If we lose them all and end up at 4 and 11 then a decision has to be made to finish on the bottom and to get a priority pick as well. This years draft is good at the top end. Brett Deledio, Lance Franklin, Jarryd Roughead and Fabian De Luca are all young players who could help us long term. With Daniel Jackson and Alex Gilmour developing nicely at School level and at Coburg...next year could look promising.

Couldnt have said it better myself. Plus with the development of Krakouer,Coughlan,Schultz and Ray Hall its lookign better. I am all for draft picks i just hope that we dont finish with 6 wins. We need those priority picks and big sweepout everywhere
wrenny

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 03:34:24 PM »
thanx for your support wrenny~ pmsl!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 03:53:00 PM »
Leighton has tremendous credentials. The tigers need to get Wood in as CEO. Hes a top candidate. The changes however need to go further. We need a new President and a new board. The Football Department needs to go with the exception only of Greg Miller. We need a new Recruiting Manager. We need a cleanout...and when all that happens we need to clean out another 12 blokes from the list who arent up to it. The next 6 weeks are going to be tremendously hard games. If we lose them all and end up at 4 and 11 then a decision has to be made to finish on the bottom and to get a priority pick as well. This years draft is good at the top end. Brett Deledio, Lance Franklin, Jarryd Roughead and Fabian De Luca are all young players who could help us long term. With Daniel Jackson and Alex Gilmour developing nicely at School level and at Coburg...next year could look promising.

Fingers crossed TR and welcome to OER  :). It's only this hope that there is still real light at the end of the tunnel and not of another oncoming RFC implosion train that gives us hope. Despite all this doom and gloom we do have the capacity as a Club to turn things around in a few short years with the right people making the right decisions. Problem is we've had mostly duds running our Club on and off-field for the past 20 years  :'( .

I don't know anything about Leighton Wood apart from him playing U19s for North and that he now lives/works in Queensland. Hopefully if he gets the gig he realises that getting the best coach available to Tigerland is a priority.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2004, 10:13:35 AM »
Richmond hopes twin deals help it out of strife
By Len Johnson, Jake Niall, Rohan Connolly
May 28, 2004

Richmond was poised yesterday to secure Leighton Wood as chief executive and club champion Mark Coughlan to a three-year deal.

Coughlan, a 22-year-old from Perth, comes out of contract at the end of this year and would have been vulnerable to offers from Fremantle and West Coast had he not agreed to the deal, believed to be worth $900,000.

Richmond football director Greg Miller said the club had sought a medical opinion on Coughlan, who is battling a groin injury and has had osteitis pubis in the past. He is not expected to play for at least two weeks. "He's not only a good player," Miller said. "He's a good leader."

While Wood is considered an unbackable favourite to secure the chief executive's position, he said yesterday he was as much in the dark as anyone in knowing if the club had made a decision.
An imminent announcement is expected on a replacement for former international athlete and Nike executive Ian Campbell, whose departure from Punt Road after little more than a year was announced on Wednesday.

"I guess I'm a candidate," Wood, the former Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games chief, said yesterday. "I have spoken to the club this week but I can't tell you much about what they're thinking."
Wood was one of a number of candidates - Campbell was another - recommended by the AFL when the club sought last year to replace Mark Brayshaw.

A 44-year-old former North Melbourne under 19s and reserves player, Wood is based in Brisbane, where he works for a group raising money for medical research. Such expertise could be valuable at Punt Road, with Richmond expected to lose $2 million in 2004.

The new appointee will be the club's third chief executive in less than two years (and ninth in the past 14) and will take the job at a time when a wholesale cleaning out of the football department and a further severe culling of the playing list will occur at season's end.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said yesterday it was critical for the club to choose its next chief executive carefully. "Richmond would be acutely aware that they need to get this appointment right. I guess you can afford sometimes in business to get things wrong and to rectify it, but they've just got to get this appointment right," he said.

Demetriou said the incredible tally of departed chief executives in recent years did not reflect poorly on the club. "It's certainly stressful, and you've got to make sure you can meet the requirements of supporters," he said. "It's very hard to attract terrific CEOs into this industry."

Yesterday, Richmond president Clinton Casey denied that Carlton coach Denis Pagan would take over from Danny Frawley next season. He also said a total clearout was not on the agenda. "It's certainly not the case. I don't know how much clearer I can be," Casey said.

Casey met Tigers players yesterday morning to brief them on Campbell's departure. But Frawley was saying little.

"Clinton Casey spoke to the players this morning and we've moved on," he said. "It's disappointing (Campbell's departure), but I can't really focus on it or comment on it."

Richmond's woes won't be helped by the AFL's decision to fine the club $5000 for comments its runner Matt Hornsby made about Port Adelaide player Damien Hardwick last weekend.

Hardwick was fined $1500 on Tuesday after being found guilty of shouldering Hornsby in the back during the Tigers' 78-point loss in Adelaide. Hardwick claimed Hornsby had provoked him with abuse.

- with AAP

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/05/27/1085641650584.html?oneclick=true

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2004, 10:18:12 AM »
AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said yesterday it was critical for the club to choose its next chief executive carefully. "Richmond would be acutely aware that they need to get this appointment right. I guess you can afford sometimes in business to get things wrong and to rectify it, but they've just got to get this appointment right," he said.

This is a bit rich, considering that the guy came recommended by the AFL in the first place.  :-\

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2004, 10:20:31 AM »
Terms on Tiger job
28 May 2004   Herald Sun
Scott Gullan

RICHMOND must provide unprecedented job security if it is to lure its No. 1 target for the vacant chief executive role.

Former Commonwealth Games chief Leighton Wood has emerged as the front-runner to replace Ian Campbell, who resigned on Wednesday after just 12 months in the job.

But Brisbane-based Wood, who will fly to Melbourne next week to meet the Tigers' board, is expected to demand a watertight contract and a bigger power base in the CEO role if he is to pull the club out of the mire.

In some much-needed good news yesterday, outstanding midfielder Mark Coughlan has agreed to a new three-year contract.

Richmond's reputation for instability coupled with a debt likely to hit $2 million by the end of year are seen as major stumbling blocks in the Tigers search for a new top administrator.

Wood, a former Kangaroos under-19s and reserves player, denied last night he had already accepted the job at Punt Rd.

"I haven't done a deal," Wood said. "I've talked to them, I'm interested in the right opportunity and that's about where it is at. Nothing is set in concrete, we've just had a chat, that's all."

It is understood Richmond president Clinton Casey is determined to lure Wood, whom the Tigers overlooked for Campbell last year.

Casey, who addressed the players before training, was again in damage control last night with speculation that Campbell's departure was the start of a cull that included coach Danny Frawley.

"It is certainly not the case and I don't know how much clearer I have to be," he said.

"Our position (on Frawley) is absolutely clear and nothing has changed."

He said the Tigers were speaking to several possible CEO candidates.

"He (Wood) is an outstanding candidate, but we are looking at a number of options," Casey said.

Frawley was keen to distance himself from the off-field dramas yesterday.

"It's disappointing. I can't really focus on it or comment on it," he said.

"It's Clinton and the board's doing and we've got a big game on our hands this weekend, another interstate trip (against West Coast), so we're looking forward to getting over there and putting our best foot forward again.

"The only thing I'll say is that we've moved on and Clinton has had a good chat about it."

Wood, 44, moved to Brisbane after a falling out with Ron Walker cost him his Commonwealth Games position. He received a significant payout of about $1 million.

He has also had serious health problems relating to a debilitating back injury which required surgery last year.

Wood was deputy to Campbell Rose, the Western Bulldogs CEO, at Melbourne Major Events Committee.
The departure of Campbell came after a series of poor administrative decisions and major shortfalls in the Tigers' marketing and corporate sales areas.

The former Nike executive, who worked overseas for the past 20 years, also suffered from his lack of football nous.

Casey is also under siege over his board with the political turmoil resulting in three directors resigning on the eve of the season and a lack of interest from former club greats in joining up.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,9679278%255E19742,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2004, 02:23:49 AM »
Casey's chief hope fails test
By Greg Denham and Patrick Smith
The Australian
June 05, 2004

RICHMOND's search for a chief executive was blown wide open yesterday when odds-on favourite Leighton Wood was removed from the running.

The Tigers will now concentrate on up to six remaining candidates after Wood failed to live up to expectations during a second interview in Melbourne this week.

It is believed Richmond's attractiveness to potential candidates has waned slightly because of threats of a boardroom challenge to president Clinton Casey.

Agents acting for the Tigers spoke last week to at least two AFL chief executives - Essendon's Peter Jackson and Geelong's Brian Cook - about moving to Punt Road.

Meanwhile, across town, the high-flying Demons are understood to have narrowed their short list of chief executive candidates to five.

Wood had been Casey's first choice as the Tigers' new CEO even before the departure of Ian Campbell last week.

Casey and football director Greg Miller interviewed Wood in Brisbane two days before Campbell was dismissed, just 12 months into his chief executive role.

Wood came highly recommended by the AFL executive, which was shocked yesterday after being told that he had fallen out of favour.

The 44-year-old Wood had previously worked in Melbourne as the 2006 Commonwealth Games bid chief.

Although Casey was believed to be keen to appoint Wood on the spot, pressure from other board members ensured further assessment and a meeting with the full board.

Another of Wood's stumbling blocks was his insistence last week on a long-term contract at the club, which employs its leading executives on a month-to-month basis, according to Casey.

"Like anyone, if you've got to move your family interstate, you look for evidence that you're going to be around for a while," Wood said.

But Casey said: "At the moment, the board's approach is that we don't offer contracts at all."

However, it is understood that Casey was considering offering Wood a two-year deal.

The Richmond football department, which had a rift with Campbell, was also critical of Wood's remarks that the club needed at least five years to get back on its feet.

Casey told The Australian this week that Wood was the club's new CEO in waiting, though no job offer had been made officially.

"The short list is pretty short and we're looking through a file of eight or nine candidates to be interviewed by board members this week," Casey said.

"It's not a one-horse race, but having said that, no-one denies that he (Wood) is a very good candidate.

"We want to canvass the landscape as quickly as we can to see who is out there."

Casey said the appointment of a new chief executive was his No.1 priority.

"With a $2million loss looming this year, we can't hide from the position we're in at the moment," he said.

"Campbell was the wrong appointment and we've got to get the best person this time."

Casey acted as interim chief executive from the end of 2002, when Mark Brayshaw departed, to May last year, when Campbell was appointed.

"Having spent seven months looking last time, and meeting Wood in the process, we don't want to be sitting on our hands if we think we've found the right person for the job," Casey said earlier this week.

Last week, AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou described Wood as having "outstanding credentials" for the vacant Richmond job.

But he warned the Tigers they had no margin for error. "The Richmond Football Club would be acutely aware that they need to get this appointment right," Demetriou said. "I think they will do everything they can and leave no stone unturned to get this appointment right."

It has been a traumatic week for Richmond. After Casey said he was happy to work with a reduced board of seven, and was in no rush to fill the two vacancies, the club appointed a new director 48 hours later.

Alan Nicklos, managing director of Motorola, one of the club's major sponsors, was rushed on to the board.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,9746572%255E2722,00.html

Jackstar

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2004, 09:49:11 AM »
the truth is that Casey couldnt convince the other board members, whats left of them anyway ;)