Author Topic: Stuart Maxfield  (Read 3169 times)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Stuart Maxfield
« on: September 26, 2005, 10:10:19 PM »
Maxfield set to take on coaching role
By Caroline Wilson
September 26, 2005

FORMER Sydney captain Stuart Maxfield, the most heartbreaking sight clad in red and white during the Swans' premiership euphoria two days ago at the MCG, will remain at the club next season in its football department.

Maxfield, 33, is set to take up a coaching and development role created by Sydney to accommodate his unusual personal circumstances.

Roos paid tribute to Maxfield — who was forced out of the game with a knee injury after playing his 200th Sydney game in round five this year — and retiring defender Andrew Schauble in a private session with his players after their thrilling four-point victory over West Coast.

The club plans to use Maxfield's commuting lifestyle to its advantage. Maxfield is now based in both Melbourne and Sydney for family reasons. He is expected to again accompany Roos and his coaching staff to the AFL draft camp in Canberra, which starts this week.

Sydney's director of football Andrew Ireland said: "I know it is often said about players who are a big part of teams who miss playing in premierships, but in Stuart's case it is the truth. The way this team plays as a team and sticks to its rules and the lessons from the leadership group are thanks to him.

"His influence this year has continued to be significant well after he was unable to play. We would be loathe to lose someone of that quality. Good people, people that good, in football are hard to find."

Yesterday Maxfield, wearing a Brett Kirk badge, was thrust into the celebrations at Albert Park by his teammates who called him onto the stage to a roar as loud as those that hailed Roos and Barry Hall, and "Leaping" Leo Barry.

with MELISSA RYAN

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/09/25/1127586746793.html?oneclick=true
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Stuart Maxfield
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 10:11:28 PM »
Over the years, we’ve claimed that we haven’t really ‘lost’ too many players who have gone on to do well at another Club.  Well, reading and hearing some of the comments about Stuart Maxfield in recent times, maybe we lost out here.

Then again, even though he didn’t get to play in the GF, maybe he wouldn’t have done as well at Richmond as what he was able to do at the Swans.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 10:45:41 PM »
Well we got Gasper for him didn't we?

Pretty dam decent compenstation IMO.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 07:33:33 AM »
who cares about maxfield, he left us, he is no longer a tiger, who cares about his playing career at th eswans and how good he has been there, imo, he has not been that special 4 sydney, not sure what they see in him but i never ever seen him tear the game apart and dominate

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 09:41:45 AM »
Maybe he hasn’t dominated on the field, but by the sounds of things, he’s been as responsible as any one for changing the culture amongst the Swans players.  And that’s a big deal in my view, because from what’s been said, he’s seen as one of the main driving forces behind them winning a premiership.  Wish we had someone like that at our footy club.

Moi

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 10:08:43 AM »
Wish we had someone like that at our footy club.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
We did have someone like that - we had Stewie himself - and guess what, he left because he got a better money offer.
What an inspiration he would make to any team.

Sorry, i cannot see where you're coming from.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 11:13:04 AM »
so u r proud that he sold out on us, well thats ur choice, and if u say he changed the culture ...

he sold out on us, screw him, thats just my opinion, i dont rate anybody who walks away from the tigers 4 money.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 05:23:35 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 11:20:44 AM »
His private life is none of my business.

Even if he did leave for money, to some degree, he either changed over time or he wasn’t the sort of person to begin with, because he helped change the culture within the footy team. From that point of view I think he has been a huge inspiration to his team mates.  That’s what they say anyway and who am I to argue with that?

I was surprised when I read and heard the comments coming from those at the Swans, because he didn’t come across as the sort of person to initiate that sort of thing, but there you go.  Money obviously wasn’t the big thing in his career, because according to those at the Swans his regime required the drive and work ethic that few reach and maintain.

Would he have done anything like that at Richmond?  Knowing our history, probably not.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 12:04:01 PM »
X-Cited you will find that is wife is a few screws short of a carousel ride, so anything that she says shouldn't be taken as gospel.

From what i heard, the wife moved back to Melbourne to stick it up Stuart, as she knew this would mean he wouldn't be able to see his kids a lot, but faith have it he got injured and now commutes between Melbourne and Sydney.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 05:25:37 PM by one-eyed »

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 02:20:11 PM »
Stuart Maxfield was a slitghly more intense Greg Tivendale.

He may have set a good example by training his arse off and therefore been beneficial for a club, but as a player I can't see how anyone can be disappointed we lost him.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 03:03:37 PM »

He may have set a good example by training his behind off and therefore been beneficial for a club, but as a player I can't see how anyone can be disappointed we lost him.

i agree 100%

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 04:51:45 PM »
With our history, he was probably better off at another club, so maybe you couldn’t be disappointed that we lost him.  Up until now, never really took much notice of his career after he left Richmond.  So what sort of player he’s been for the Swans I wouldn’t really know.

I was more interested in reading and hearing about what he had done off the field to change the playing culture at the Swans and was more disappointed in the fact that we don’t have someone, anyone; doesn’t really matter who, that sets about raising the standards of his team, which has the sort of impact that can turn an average list into a premiership team.  I’m sure there’s a whole lot more to it than that, but you have to start somewhere.

Anyway, I just think that sort of thing is as important as being a good player, especially at a Club that has had little or no success over many years.  And according to those who you’d think would know better than anyone else, his influence was a factor in the Swans getting to and then winning the GF, even though he wasn’t able to be out there on that day.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 05:18:14 PM »
Stuart Maxfield is dating journalist Jessica Halloran from the Sydney Morning Herald. Anything else is just speculation, gossip and hearsay and such private matters of footballers' lives are none of our business. What's more they can put OER at threat from legal action.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 06:01:28 PM »

He may have set a good example by training his behind off and therefore been beneficial for a club, but as a player I can't see how anyone can be disappointed we lost him.

Agree John.

It's been mentioned on here before that one of the reasons he left Richmond was because of us doing little after he copped a broken jaw. At the time I remember one of his reasons being that there were more opportunities for plumbers up in Sydney.

Anyway back to TS' post. It was interesting to hear Roos rate Maxfield so highly. He's been a good player for the Swans but as John has said hardly exceptional. His demeanour and actions watching from over the fence don't appear to connect with the high praise he's just received but only Roos and the Swans inner sanctum would truly know what Stewy is like and what he's done for their Club. 

The culture at the club would have been a big factor especially in Sydney where Aussie Rules isn't the dominant footy code. Maxfield's obviously matured as a footballer as he's got older and is not hot-headed on-field in Sydney unlike  his Richmond days. Lockett too settled down once he "escaped" to Sydney. Maxfield's also played in sides that usually made the finals even if they didn't far in them.

If he had stayed at Tigerland I don't think our history over the past decade would be too different.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 09:21:31 PM »
In my opinion, i think there's confusion over Stewie being a good bloke or a great team person.  Maybe it goes hand in hand, but he's always seemed to be a nice person.  Maybe that's where all this praise is coming from.  Always remember the last B&F he went to and everyone begging him to stay - I'm sorry i grovelled over him on the night because he took the money and ran.  Had nothing to do with a jaw injury.

X-Cited you will find that is wife is a few screws short of a carousel ride, so anything that she says shouldn't be taken as gospel.
I've met Justine on a few occasions, and while in my opinion she's a bit of a B, don't think she's got kangaroos in the top paddock.  Maybe she's changed, but i think that's a bit harsh.  Remember a couple of years ago she got caught in that huge hail storm in Sydney - maybe one hit her on the head  :rollin