Author Topic: Daniel Rioli [merged]  (Read 238499 times)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Daniel Rioli [merged]
« Reply #1155 on: July 31, 2022, 06:54:25 PM »
We all know that he can rebound with the best of them but the way he pocketed Charlie Cameron in the second half was outstanding. It’s good to know that when required he can prioritise defence and play a shutdown role.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #1156 on: July 31, 2022, 06:56:55 PM »
Was brilliant
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #1157 on: July 31, 2022, 07:37:21 PM »
Was massive

A pattern to our firm lately had been Rioli. When he clicked down back we have been at our best. A drop in form had us lagging a bit. He's very important
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1158 on: July 31, 2022, 07:49:38 PM »
The Moment
There was plenty of clutch moments during this epic clash, but none more so than Daniel Rioli’s chase down tackle on the dangerous Charlie Cameron with three and a half minutes remaining in the third quarter. The Lions, at that stage, led by 12 points, and another goal would have made the Tigers’ task all the more difficult. Ask any small defender in the league and they will tell you it’s no fun being on an island with just Cameron for company. Take nothing away from Noah Cumberland, by the way. He was enormous and his fifth goal after seven minutes in the final term was crucial.

Source: AFL website

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1159 on: July 31, 2022, 09:16:03 PM »
On the way to the game my dad and I were discussing the captaincy. He said he thinks Nank isn't a good enough footballer to be captain and we both said we thought Baker would do a good job. He also suggested Graham.

Then he said he also thinks Rioli would be a good one for captain or vice. Great footballer, excellent with our indigenous boys.

Then you see a moment like tonight and I think to myself hmmmm  I wonder...

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1160 on: July 31, 2022, 11:58:24 PM »
Thought he was one of a few who was missing in action early.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1161 on: August 01, 2022, 12:07:20 AM »
Thought he was one of a few who was missing in action early.

Few? I think prestia was the only one not missing in action early

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #1162 on: August 01, 2022, 12:12:29 AM »
Hope we tie down his contract asap
Go Tigers!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1163 on: August 06, 2022, 11:25:14 PM »
Dan is in terrific form. Just an amazing transformation since being moved to half-back. His workrate now is incredible. He will go close to winning the B&F this year. Thank goodness too he was playing in the first half tonight when we were all over the shop.

25 disposals (12k, 13h, 7c, 17u, 76% eff.)
5 marks
1 tackle
3 inside 50s
8 intercepts
510 metres gained
4 score involvements
1 goal assist
2 goals
79% time on ground
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1164 on: August 06, 2022, 11:49:41 PM »
Amazing masterstroke move.

Defends close, example Cameron.

Incredibly damaging coming off half back. As good or better than Houli one day I reckon.

And kicks goals. From HB.

Earning himself a tidy raise surely.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #1165 on: August 07, 2022, 09:34:59 AM »
Should be in All Australian squad.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1166 on: August 08, 2022, 04:11:31 PM »
Daniel Rioli has added another valuable string to his bow as a top-class rebounding defender in Richmond’s line-up.

So far this season, he has kicked goals in eight games, for an overall total of nine.

When you consider the most goals that he has kicked in an AFL season is 25 in 2017 (as a permanent small forward), with 17 (in 2019) his second-best return, what he’s been able to achieve this year goal-wise, as a full-time defender, is even more meritorious.

Full article: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1193513/rioli-a-defensive-goalkicking-weapon-for-tigers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1167 on: September 04, 2022, 04:50:09 AM »
17. Daniel Rioli

Continued his awesome 2022 campaign. Drifted down from half-back to kick the first goal of the game thanks to a lovely set-shot, but was at his best setting up from defence with 17 touches and a kicking efficiency of 91 per cent.

Foxsports rating: 6

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-finals-2022-richmond-tigers-vs-brisbane-lions-second-elimination-final-highlights-stats-best-and-worst-players/news-story/7fc45960b9d79ca09461c1ff3de0ff76

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1168 on: September 26, 2022, 06:44:35 PM »
The move which could see another Rioli become an All-Australian force

National Indigenous Times
September 26, 2022

Richmond assistant coach Xavier Clarke believes defender Daniel Rioli has the ability to become an All-Australian half back flanker.

Clarke was coaching the Tigers’ VFL team and was one of the key people behind Rioli’s move from the forward half to defence.

“Unfortunately, it got to the point where Daniel just wasn’t touching the ball as a forward,” Clarke told SEN Fridays at the Top End.

“He was getting flat and disappointed in himself and we wondered what we could do to get a spark out of him.

Clarke said he had a conversation with Richmond coach Damian Hardwick about positional changes.

“I said, ‘why don’t we just put him behind the ball and let him get the footy in his hands where he can run and create’ – he can learn how to defend later on,” he said.

It was an inspired move with Rioli transforming into one of the game’s most exciting half back flankers.

The elite runner is coming off a career-best season and earned selection in the initial All-Australian squad of 40.

Rioli gathered 471 disposals for the season, which was almost double his next best effort across his seven-year career.

He had a career-high 31 disposals against the Gold Coast in Round 17 and multiple 25-plus possession performances across the year.

Clarke said Rioli now knows how to defend and highlighted his defensive performance on Brisbane forward Charlie Cameron during the season.

“We lost Dylan Grimes so we put Daniel on Charlie Cameron as a deep defender and he defended him really well,” he said.

“He’s had just one full season as a defender and it is performances like that which make you think he could become one of the best half back flankers in the competition.”

Rioli penned a contract extension with the Tigers during the year which will see him remain at the club until at least the end of the 2027 season.

https://www.nit.com.au/the-move-which-could-see-another-rioli-become-an-all-australian-force/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond