Author Topic: Martin Asked to Leave Restaurant / Apologises to Female Patron  (Read 201822 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Martin Asked to Leave Restaurant / Apologises to Female Patron
« Reply #975 on: January 15, 2016, 05:03:20 AM »
Media jumped gun on Dusty claim: Rohan Connolly

Joshua Papanikolaou
SEN
14 Jan 2016

Given the latest development in the story Rohan Connolly suggests that many media figures have been caught out assuming Martin was guilty of the allegations against him.

"There might be a few lessons here for some people in the media too, because i think this is one case where people shot out of the blocks pretty early," said Connolly on SEN radio.

"Why did the people who reported it automatically assume that the things they were told actually happened - I mean KB is the obvious one, he called for a 12-month suspension and that in retrospect is very wide of the mark.

"But at least KB is in a way connected, I'd raise more issues with certain commentators in the media who saw fit to completely shoot their mouths off and hang, draw and quarter him.

"Well, it's fairly comprehensive statement you often expect statements in these cases to be pretty short and sweet - but I guess they've appreciated how much interest there has been in the case."

Club chief executive Brendon Gale made the following statement regarding the issue:

“An allegation of threat to inflict serious injury was recently made against Dustin Martin.

“The Club’s position throughout has been to establish exactly what happened in relation to these serious allegations so we could properly determine a course of action.

“The Club has also been mindful of the complainant, and the nature of her allegation, and endeavoured to be supportive whenever she has been in contact with the Club.

“The Club welcomed the fact the matter was referred to Victoria Police. It was only right that claims of this nature were thoroughly scrutinised and the facts established.

“Ultimately, after a thorough investigation, the Victoria Police concluded no criminal offence took place.

“An AFL investigation also concluded that there was no evidence to support or corroborate the allegation.

"As a result, the Club will not sanction Dustin Martin in relation to this allegation as no threat to harm occurred.

“Nonetheless, the Club is disappointed that Dustin was intoxicated on the night. When challenged by the complainant for being disruptive, he was argumentative and used obscene language.

“He has acknowledged this and has apologised for any offence or distress his behaviour caused. His apology was accepted by the complainant.

“As a professional athlete Dustin enjoys a privileged lifestyle. With professionalism comes responsibility and we expect much better from our players and all personnel.

“As a result, Dustin will have a suspended sanction of $5000 imposed for a breach of the Player Code of Conduct.

“The allegations of threat to harm aired on Channel 7, and subsequently reported widely across the media, have been extremely distressing and damaging for Dustin, and of great concern to the Richmond Football Club.

“Richmond Football Club finds any threat of violence against women totally unacceptable and condemns such behaviour in the strongest possible terms.

“However, as with every other member of the community, Dustin was entitled to the presumption of innocence until this very serious allegation was fully investigated.”

http://www.sen.com.au/news/01-16/media-jumped-gun-on-dusty-claim-connolly#A78vRxfdygriWZY1.99

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #976 on: January 15, 2016, 06:01:26 AM »
However, as with every other member of the community, Dustin was entitled to the presumption of innocence until this very serious allegation was fully investigated.

:whistle

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #977 on: January 15, 2016, 07:18:05 AM »
Glad this saga is finally over.

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #978 on: January 15, 2016, 09:00:32 AM »
Great result.

I'll put my hand up and say I was too quick to jump on Dusty. I took his early apology to be an omission of guilt and I was pooey with him for putting himself in a position where he may miss games.

i got it wrong.

In contrast, I think B Gale handled it superbly and deserves a lot of credit.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #979 on: January 15, 2016, 09:59:46 AM »
Great result.

I'll put my hand up and say I was too quick to jump on Dusty. I took his early apology to be an omission of guilt and I was pooey with him for putting himself in a position where he may miss games.

i got it wrong.

Yeah i thought it was a bit unfair Wilbur, but thumbs up for being honest and saying you went too early. Lesser men would have gone (and do go) thread silent.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Petey

• Bad
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • SgtAA of OER
« Reply #980 on: January 15, 2016, 10:01:14 AM »
Great result.

i got it wrong.

It just shows you're a bad person when you judge Dusty based on looks mate

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #981 on: January 15, 2016, 06:02:16 PM »
The woman at the centre of the incident at a Windsor Japanese restaurant told the Herald Sun: “I am pleased to see they have treated my concerns seriously and launched this review.”

She added it had been a very distressing period which had included death threats from Richmond supporters.

“I wish Dustin all the best for the season,” she said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/dustin-martin-looks-set-to-escape-a-match-ban-for-his-chop-sticks-controversy/news-story/44603b7df7118355d203ddc30f17635e

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #982 on: January 15, 2016, 06:03:22 PM »
Martin incident forces review of AFL's respect and responsibility policy

AFL.com.au
January 15, 2016

THE AFL will review the way it deals with allegations of intimidating, threatening or violent behaviour towards women in the wake of the Dustin Martin incident.

CEO Gillon McLachlan said the organisation wanted to ensure the processes in place were appropriate when allegations such as the one made in December against the Richmond midfielder occurred.

Martin was accused of physically intimidating and threatening a woman in a St Kilda restaurant while drunk but both a police and an AFL investigation failed to find evidence to support the allegation.

On Thursday, he was handed a suspended $5000 fine by Richmond.

The club said it issued the fine because of Martin's unprofessional behaviour and intoxication.

McLachlan said it was timely to review the way the AFL handled such reports and when they referred a matter to police.

"We need to make sure we feel that at every instance, women feel comfortable coming forward [and] that our processes for handling it and when we refer to police and how we deal with it [are suitable]," McLachlan said.

"This incident has given us the opportunity to review that."

Victorian Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commissioner Kate Jenkins will oversee a review of relevant AFL policies and process, including the AFL respect and responsibility policy introduced in 2005.

"The AFL takes any allegation of intimidation or threats or violence against women incredibly seriously," McLachlan said.

The AFL was criticised for not immediately referring the woman's complaint to police although McLachlan said on Thursday the matter was referred within 24 hours.

"If we think there is a serious allegation, I think we clearly need to go to the police," McLachlan said.

He said the industry needed to continually learn and improve the way such matters were handled.

"We encourage anyone who feels they have been intimidated or threatened to come forward at all times,” he said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-14/martin-incident-forces-review-on-afls-respect-and-responsibility-policy

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #983 on: January 15, 2016, 06:12:36 PM »
Believe Benny Gale has been on 3AW Sports Tonight

From Twitter

@3AW Sports tonight

Richmond CEO Brendon Gale is on the line.

"You just can't jump to conclusions, particularly hysterical ones."

Gale: "The allegations of a threat to stab hasn't been substantiated."

Gale: "In light of the distress and damage to Dustin's reputation, we think a suspended sanction is appropriate."
Here's the audio of Benny Gale's 3aw interview talking about Dusty:

AUDIO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2016-01-15/gale-on-martin

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #984 on: January 15, 2016, 06:57:28 PM »
The woman at the centre of the incident at a Windsor Japanese restaurant told the Herald Sun: “I am pleased to see they have treated my concerns seriously and launched this review.”

She added it had been a very distressing period which had included death threats from Richmond supporters.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/dustin-martin-looks-set-to-escape-a-match-ban-for-his-chop-sticks-controversy/news-story/44603b7df7118355d203ddc30f17635e

More alleged threats hey?

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #985 on: January 15, 2016, 07:00:37 PM »
 ;D

It wasn't me, I swear to god but LOFL anyway.
What a penny pinching cow.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #986 on: January 15, 2016, 07:04:45 PM »
Martin incident forces review of AFL's respect and responsibility policy

AFL.com.au
January 15, 2016

THE AFL will review the way it deals with allegations of intimidating, threatening or violent behaviour towards women in the wake of the Dustin Martin incident.

CEO Gillon McLachlan said the organisation wanted to ensure the processes in place were appropriate when allegations such as the one made in December against the Richmond midfielder occurred.

Martin was accused of physically intimidating and threatening a woman in a St Kilda restaurant while drunk but both a police and an AFL investigation failed to find evidence to support the allegation.

On Thursday, he was handed a suspended $5000 fine by Richmond.

The club said it issued the fine because of Martin's unprofessional behaviour and intoxication.

McLachlan said it was timely to review the way the AFL handled such reports and when they referred a matter to police.

"We need to make sure we feel that at every instance, women feel comfortable coming forward [and] that our processes for handling it and when we refer to police and how we deal with it [are suitable]," McLachlan said.

"This incident has given us the opportunity to review that."

Victorian Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commissioner Kate Jenkins will oversee a review of relevant AFL policies and process, including the AFL respect and responsibility policy introduced in 2005.

"The AFL takes any allegation of intimidation or threats or violence against women incredibly seriously," McLachlan said.

The AFL was criticised for not immediately referring the woman's complaint to police although McLachlan said on Thursday the matter was referred within 24 hours.

"If we think there is a serious allegation, I think we clearly need to go to the police," McLachlan said.

He said the industry needed to continually learn and improve the way such matters were handled.

"We encourage anyone who feels they have been intimidated or threatened to come forward at all times,” he said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-14/martin-incident-forces-review-on-afls-respect-and-responsibility-policy

Seriously go and get stuffed you arse licking, corporate criminal dogs
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #987 on: January 15, 2016, 07:12:24 PM »

What a penny pinching cow.
A penny for your thoughts lol

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #988 on: January 15, 2016, 07:15:42 PM »

Death threats from RFC supporters,   ::)likely BS too  :whistle
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #989 on: January 15, 2016, 07:21:11 PM »
How do you make death threats toward somene who's identity you don't know??
Caracella and Balmey.