Author Topic: Daniel Jackson - HBF in 2006  (Read 2402 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Daniel Jackson - HBF in 2006
« on: November 28, 2005, 04:25:02 PM »
Jackson's draft compassion
1:40:50 PM Mon 28 November, 2005
Matt Burgan
Sportal for afl.com.au

Looking ahead to 2006, Jackson said he had learned plenty over his first two years.

"We all had a one-on-one interview with (Richmond coach) Terry (Wallace) at the end of the season and he talked about what he thought and we thought of our year and what was to come this season," Jackson said.

"Our discussion was that all of that chopping and changing (position) wasn't really helping me and I don't have enough footy experience to be coming on and off the ground all of the time, because I get a bit lost.

"But in 2006, I'll probably just knuckle down as a backman and running off half-back - it will be that sort of role - and I'll use my athleticism to my advantage and I'll work from there."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=238675

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Daniel Jackson - HBF in 2006
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 04:46:11 PM »
Good, thats where he played his 1st year!

They spent all this year trying to convert him into a midfielder, and obviously it hasn't worked, nice one guys!  :banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 10:40:59 PM »
He looked to have a case of the second-year blues too. Although his stats aren't much different from 2004 to 2005 and aren;t anything to write home about, he showed glimpses of real talent in his debut year that made you think over time this kid has got something. This year he looked as though he was just treading water and a bit lost at AFL level.

Hopefully playing on a HBF and having the footy always in front of him to run on to will get him a few touches and build up some confidence. Playing off a HBF seem to do the trick for Pettifer in the second half of 2004 which just saved him before Wallace started to get the best out of Kayne this year. 

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 11:05:42 PM »
IIRC didn't Kayne kick a bag or two then knocked his knee around round 16? last year?

Pettifer has always been a HFF, who has suffered from what i like to call the Frawley "no set positions" rotation policy, where everyone played in every position except the one that suited them the most!  :banghead :banghead

That and flooding the defense every week meant anyone playing forward was against it.

Add in an attacking/proper coach, an attacking gameplan, and you get results!

Even after his 30 odd goal season, a certain megalomaniac suffering board administrator, who will remain nameless, still thinks he should be shown the door, all of his goals were "lucky" IIRC what she said!  ::)

« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 04:36:06 AM by one-eyed »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 01:14:06 PM »
"We all had a one-on-one interview with (Richmond coach) Terry (Wallace) at the end of the season and he talked about what he thought and we thought of our year and what was to come this season," Jackson said.

"Our discussion was that all of that chopping and changing (position) wasn't really helping me and I don't have enough footy experience to be coming on and off the ground all of the time, because I get a bit lost.

I like the guys honesty but I am not sure what to think about the comment itself. Does this mean he can only play the one position or he just a bit too inexperienced at the moment to be able to rotate through different positions ??? :help
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 12:55:30 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ox

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 02:40:12 PM »
He's got a bit of talent but agree WP,the comment sounds as though he is a weak minded kid...or maybe he just knows his limitations.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 04:06:53 PM »
It was quite comical to hear the praise this kid was getting when he first stepped into the club. Some were even saying he was going to be the next Voss!

Has never looked anything but limited.

I hope he becomes a good player but if he is to he will need to improve a ton on what he is at the minute.

He's still young I suppose and 2006 will be a crucial year for him.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 04:14:12 PM »
He's got a bit of talent but agree WP,the comment sounds as though he is a weak minded kid...or maybe he just knows his limitations.

Agree with you there Foxy - to an extent.

Dan is touted as an intelligent person (going by his high school results) and probably recognises his developmental limitations more so, rather than any lacking of mental strength.

Still a young 19/20 year old man finding his feet in a very competitive work environment.  Not a natural footballer like a Hartigan, but has superior physical attributes and upside than Hartigan.

By getting some significant game time at either VFL or AFL level, would really like to see him take 2 steps up this year by being injury free and stringing together some very consistent games for the club.

Ox

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 05:10:45 PM »
Perhaps his too intelligent :o

Definitely needs to play @ least 12-15 this year,just to get him to stop from thinking about it all.

Nothing beats real time.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 06:32:11 PM »
Perhaps his too intelligent :o

Definitely needs to play @ least 12-15 this year,just to get him to stop from thinking about it all.

Nothing beats real time.

Yep - real game time in a settled position, with a little responsibility thrown in for good measure.

Will probably get a starting chance in the Wizard Cup and its up to him from there for the resy of the season to get more experience.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 08:40:01 PM »
He might be smart, but he has no footy IQ!

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 12:13:25 AM »
He might be smart, but he has no footy IQ!

Bit harsh there RB, I think.

Has not really had the chance to settle into an AFL role, let alone a team role as he has been moved so often positionally.

He stood Tarrant in the wizard and was then asked to do a small forward stopping role (unsuccessfully), followed by a HBF run-with role in the early part of the 05 season before being dropped to the VFL.

Has had little opportunity to find his feet at AFL level, however going by the "Flood Report" his late season form for the Burgers, when allowed to play 4 quarters in the midfield, allowed him an opportunity to grow into confidence and solid VFL form.

The Tigers do need a defensive midfielder, in the Kirk mould, with a bit of pace and mongrel about them - perhaps this is Jacko's calling ?

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 07:49:14 AM »
Its not really to do with that position he plays, its where he runs, who he kicks it to, how long hew kicks the ball etc etc.

Don't get me wrong im a fan if his "when in doubt bomb it 50m" kicking rule, but unlike Tuck it never seems to be the right option!

Considering he was new to footy when he got drafted, i think it'll take him years to learn all those little things, if he ever does!

I doubt Jacko could ever be used in a "defensive" mould, he comes off as the type of player who could work in an all-out attacking gameplan, considering his running and long kicking.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 11:34:26 AM »
Jacko is going to have to get his kicking skills right before he plays in the backline, otherwise his going to keep turning over the ball and giving the opposition cheap goals.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 04:47:39 PM »
Its not really to do with that position he plays, its where he runs, who he kicks it to, how long hew kicks the ball etc etc.

Don't get me wrong im a fan if his "when in doubt bomb it 50m" kicking rule, but unlike Tuck it never seems to be the right option!

Considering he was new to footy when he got drafted, i think it'll take him years to learn all those little things, if he ever does!

IIRC didn't Wallace say last pre-season that Tuck had to work on picking the right option when kicking long? So there's hope for Jacko there. I agree Jacko needs to work hard on improving his footy nouse. How quickly he learns will determine what happens from now on.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd