Author Topic: RFC Memorable Moments #1: the "Save Our Skins" campaign  (Read 22299 times)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Up here in Queensland, you didn't hear much about the "Save our Skins" campaign.  I think there might have been a pic in the newspaper of Jack Dyer but that was about it.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Well, I'm glad I missed Dunstall's near league record against us!

IIRC poor Scotty Turner was on him for most of that. But Scotty got his revenge on Dunstall in 1995 holding him goal-less :thumbsup.

Where was flooding and Spud dragging nearly everyone behind the centre after half-time when we needed it against Ablett, Dunstall and Lockett ;D.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Save Our Skins - Sam Newman goes Head to Head with Graeme Richmond (Part 1)
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2005, 05:59:49 AM »
Fair Game

Sam Newman goes Head to Head with Graeme Richmond
The Sun
Wednesday, August 22, 1990.   

Since 1909 Richmond Football Club has prowled the league scene and for 26 years before then, the association.  But now, like mentor Graeme Richmond, the club faces the ultimate challenge – survival.  When you think of Richmond, you think of Richmond.  Ironically, both are facing a future of uncertainty.  While the great club is ailing financially the great man is fighting to regain his health.  For almost a quarter of a century he was the inspiration behind it, overseeing seven grand final appearances, with flags in 1967, 1969, 1973-74 and 1980.  He’s done the books at Tigerland, been recruiting, coached, managed the team, been elected vice-president and been a selector – a talent he currently employs at state level.  Today GRAEME RICHMOND goes Head to Head with SAM NEWMAN about the problems of big game hunting.

Newman: It looks like the cage doors are about to shut at Tigerland.

Richmond:  It’s exceptionally grim and unless the Richmond people rally to the cause it’s possible a team, that eight years ago played in a grand final, will be the first victim of financial pressures.

Newman:  Can you see Richmond surviving?

Richmond:  Yes.  Many good people at Richmond would be concerned …

Newman: ..... even though only 16,000 turned up to a survival game last Saturday?

Richmond:  It was disappointing, but I think next Sunday (rally at MCG) will be the litmus test.  That will give the club a direct indication as to its future.

Newman:  Would you be heartbroken if the inevitable happened?

Richmond:  It would be an absolute tragedy.  I’d be devastated.  It’s been such an enormous part of my own life – like it has for the thousands who have played for, and served, the club.  It’s a club with a magnificent history – we’ve won 10 premierships, many of them in recent times.

Newman:  In AFL circles your opinion would be highly regarded so …

Richmond: ..... well, I’d regard myself as yesterday’s man, to be honest with you.

Newman:  You’re a current state selector.

Richmond:  Yes, but I’m not active on the administrative side so I’d say my opinions are not sought after and maybe not valid at the moment.

Newman:  Well, as the most experienced Richmond man ever, I’m seeking your opinion on where Richmond has gone wrong.  After all, they were grand finalists in ’82.

Richmond:  Richmond is suffering from an imbalance of inexperienced young players and competent, experienced ones.

Newman:  And whose fault is that?

Richmond:  It’s an administration fault that’s run over a period of between seven and 10 years. The backbone of the successful clubs rests with the ability of the top seven or eight players who have played between six and 12 years of football.

Newman:  Is it just a coincidence that seven or 10 years is the period you’ve been away from the club?

Richmond:  I’m not saying that, but I’d say the administration at Richmond in the ‘80s have a lot to answer for because the team just hasn’t got the competency or depth of senior players which the whole show revolves around.  There’s very few Royce Harts or John Colemans that walk into football these days and are overnight sensations.

Newman:  You went down to Tasmania and got the young Royce Hart, didn’t you?

Richmond:  Yes, but you must realise Royce wasn’t an outright champion at that stage.  He developed through our under-19s and reserve-grade teams in 1966.  His remarkable leap forward occurred over the summer of 1966-67.  He worked very hard in the gym and came out in ’67 and matched his physique with his skills.

Newman:  Would you see a parallel between a side like Carlton today and Richmond in the early ‘80s?

Richmond:  Carlton has one of the best football administrators in the game in Ian Collins, but they are one of the first victims of the draft.  This is something supporters of the leading clubs are going to have to get used to.  The AFL’s charter is to conduct a well-balanced competition.  It was obvious it was becoming a gross imbalance because some of the clubs were so competent with their marketing and fund raising they were putting themselves into the situation where the cheque book ruled the roost.

Newman:  Like Richmond did.

Richmond:  Yes. That could have been said of them in the ‘60s and ‘70s because we were one of the first to be able to raise money through more traditional sources and use that money to recruit players.

Newman:  Like when you went down to Tassie and offered Royce Hart two thousand quid ($4000).

Richmond:  No, we didn’t.  No, we did not.  Anyhow, this is no longer possible, of course.  This is where Carlton are feeling the pinch and ultimately Hawthorn will feel it too – where they no longer have the advantage of a magnificent country zone.

Newman:  I got the name wrong.  You offered Peter Hudson two thousand quid.

Richmond:  I did, most certainly.  That’s correct now.  Peter was always pretty keen to make every post a winner, but the principle prevailed and the magnificent work Ron Cook (Hawthorn) had done on the Hudsons prevailed when Peter’s form four ran out. 

Newman:  Did the Richmond club just load you up with money and chuff you off to all points of the compass?

Richmond:  We had a very good side, but our forward line was revolving around Pat Guinane and John Northey, so I thought Peter would be better suited at the MCG.  Little did I know that John Kennedy (then Hawthorn coach) was going to devise a plan for Glenferrie Oval by keeping the forward line virtually free of players to accommodate Hudson’s quick movements.

Newman:  So Richmond’s decision to procure Peter Hudson was, in fact, outside the league’s recruiting guidelines?

Richmond:  Seeing as none of these decisions are now retrospective, yes, we probably bent the system, but our charter was to do the best for our club – which we did.  One of the great things about our game is that we do breed a series of desperate men in charge who’ll virtually do anything they believe they can get away with.

Newman:  What tricks would they have up their sleeves at this particular stage?

Richmond:  Firstly, the public and corporate sectors must be approached.  If all else failed, concerned money people must be put into a position to form a financial backing.

Newman:  They may think they’d be putting good money after bad.

Richmond:  I think the board would have to be prepared to look at its position because people who are prepared to put up money in substantial lumps will want some say over the conduct of the club affairs.

Newman:  That’s more or less buying the right to decide the club’s direction.

Richmond:  Pretty much so, but that’s the disaster scenario they’re facing as a last resort.  It could be a benevolent ownership rather than a dictatorship, but there has to be some collateral available to the members.  That would seem to me to be in the form of a licence.

Newman:  Another privately-owned club?

Richmond:  There are all sorts of structures available that can circumvent private ownership as such.  It would also need a couple of years of pretty dramatic recruiting.  If other clubs are genuinely concerned about the Richmonds and Fitzroys, then benefits given to the interstate teams should be extended to those other ailing clubs.

Newman:  So you think the traditional clubs have been discriminated against, do you?

Richmond:  No, but the discrepancy hasn’t been pushed forcefully enough.  It needs reappraising.

Newman:  Can you see Brideshead being revisited and instead of the summer of ’89 embracing Fitzroy and Footscray, the summer of ’90 may well be Richmond and Fitzroy?

Richmond:  It’s not palatable to either club’s supporters, but in the absolute point of last resort, these scenarios have to be considered.

Newman:  At least the teams would be kept in the big cat family.  Is Kevin Bartlett the right man to coach Richmond?

Richmond:  I’d say he’s doing a remarkably good job.  To coach the Tigers for the past three years has been a real test.  He was really on a hiding to nothing when he took on the job.  He probably was a bit more optimistic in that he thought he could turn some things around.

Newman:  Like what?

Richmond:  I think he thought he could handle a few of the inconsistent players a bit better than his predecessor.  He had a good first year and the blokes who grizzled and groaned previously went under the blankets a bit but, when everyone got used to it, the age-old problems emerged – Geelong is a classic example this year.  The second year of coaching is the critical one.

Newman:  Do you think Richmond’s 12th spot is their true standard?

Richmond:  Every club has injuries but Richmond’s have been horrific.  Richmond should have at least held their ground from ’88 (10th) to ’89 (bottom).

Newman:  What is the first ability you’d appoint a coach on?

Richmond:  A knowledge of the game and his ability to impart it.  Many great players have been coaches but can’t communicate.  Jack Dyer had a very simple philosophy.  He said:  “you get the players and we’ll win the games – everything else will be put to rest.  We’ll get someone to look after the books and run the whole show.  It’ amazing how smoothly everything runs when you’re winning”.

Newman:  Meaning, if you had the right players, the coach was incidental?

Richmond:  We’d been very well handed by Len Smith (then Richmond coach) in the mid-60s.  Len virtually taught us how to play.  He took us from the prop and cop game to the game Geelong used to play in the ‘50s – playing on off their half-back line.  Len then went to Fitzroy and, when they played us, we didn’t know what hit us.  I used to go and watch Fitzroy train when I was Richmond’s under-19s coach and came to the conclusion we’d have to get someone to teach us some new tricks.

Newman:  So you went to Shepparton and got Tom Hafey.  What did you think his particular talent was?   

Richmond:  To everybody’s horror we went and got Tommy but Tommy was a much better player than his record indicated at Richmond.  He was a tremendous mark, a magnificent kick and iron tough but he made the fatal mistake of going into a milkbar and I’ve no doubt the long hours sent his football down the gurgler pretty quickly.  Tommy and Jack Hamilton were the first two players I knew to train on weights.  Everybody was terrified you’d become muscle bound and go stale but one of the so-called skills of being a coach was to judge when a player was fit and, thus, blokes would invariably get nights off training in case they got overfit and stale.

Newman:  And Tom changed all that.

Richmond:  Earlier, we’d brought in blokes like Harry Gallagher, Percy Cerutty and Franz Stampfl, who convinced us we weren’t training hard enough and that fear of training too hard was all rubbish – it was in the mind.  They said that, in a pecking order of fitness on a world scale, footballers were disgracefully unfit.  I don’t mind telling you our ears did prick up.  We’d had a fitness adviser called Barry Stanton, an Australian 400m hurdles champion, who’d been hammering on this point for a while.  In the end, we reckoned not all these blokes could be dills, so we introduced an extra training night on Wednesdays and a “running out” period on Sunday mornings.

Newman:  So, you were to blame for Sunday morning training.  I often wondered who was responsible for that.

Richmond:  All this was right up Tommy’s alley, as Len (Smith) was a brilliant tactician, but a gentle man.  Tom brought an edge of hardness to us and he went along with our style of handball and long kicking.  I’d also like to point out we tried to get Ted Whitten from Footscray after we’d failed with Peter Hudson.  I’d been tremendously impressed with Ted in the ’66 carnival in Hobart.

Newman:  Did you offer Ted the mandatory two thousand quid, or had we moved into decimals at this stage?

Richmond:  Ted had got the boot as coach from Footscray (’66) and was pretty sore about it, so I tried to get up his jumper a bit – I even rang him on Christmas morning to wish him well.  But full marks to Ted, I think he copped a bit of flak about Footscray’s recent revival because the people thought he was AFL-oriented, but no one went closer than me to get him out of the red, white and blue.  But, when the crunch came, he just couldn’t see himself playing for anyone else than the Dogs.  I’d also like to point out we had a very strong go at John Newman a few years ago and, to his credit as well – I mean Geelong weren’t going any good and we had plenty of dough …

Newman:  I should have taken it.

Richmond:  I know you don’t mean that.  If we trace Richmond’s predicament we get back to ’83 when, over summer, we lost Bryan Wood to Essendon, our captain David Cloke and our most naturally-talented player, Geoff Raines, to Collingwood. 

Newman:  Well, you sacked Raines.

Richmond:  We never did.  We didn’t pay him what Collingwood had offered in their financial stupidity of the day.  Not only did it make Collingwood broke, but it bankrupted Richmond of its talent in the process. 

Newman:  Are you saying David Cloke and Geoff Raines didn’t have the same ethics as Ted Whitten or Peter Hudson?

Richmond:  I think they were a bit sore about some other matters as well, but it was disappointing, particularly as they had developed through our junior teams.  People who changed their religion or politics were considered heretics in those days.  The closest thing in my lifetime to that would be to change Richmond to Collingwood and, while Victoria St divided the two, never the twain did meet.  Harry Dyke, our late and great president, would stand up on a Thursday night before we played Collingwood, take his hat off, and quote Lord Nelson:  “I expect every man to do his duty” – and they invariably did.  Cloke and Raines going was a very bitter pill to swallow. 

Newman:  Maybe you need Harry and his hat down there now.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 06:06:57 AM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Save Our Skins - Sam Newman goes Head to Head with Graeme Richmond (Part 2)
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2005, 06:09:29 AM »
Riches to Rags

- Continuing the story of a fight for survival by a man and his club.

Sam Newman goes Head to Head with Graeme Richmond
The Sun
Thursday, August 23, 1990.

Old Tiger digs deep to save beloved cubs

Newman:  What mistakes did you make at Richmond?

Richmond:  Until the arrival of Cameron Schwab, we didn’t adequately replace Alan Schwab – who left us at the end of ’76 to return to the league.  He was the last of the great Richmond administrators .  Richmond has suffered since.  The basis of success in a club is a good president, secretary, coach and doctor.

Newman:  Could we take it from this that you don’t think Richmond has had a good president, secretary, coach and doctor since Alan Schwab left?

Richmond:  Neville Crowe is a well-received populist leader and the committee has several competent members.

Newman:  So competent they’re about to go out of business.   

Richmond:  The inherited deficit of the mid-80s has been impossible to overcome especially as the team had struggled onfield.  Richmond were very lucky in the halcyon times because Ray Dunn (ex Richmond president) organised the move of Richmond to the MCG and this launched the Tigers financially.

Newman:  Obviously someone has scuttled the ship.

Richmond:  Ray was succeeded by Al Boord as president.  He was president in ’73 when we won the flag and had formerly been chairman of our very powerful financial executive.  Then Ian Wilson succeeded him and “Octa” was almost peerless in his capacity as president of Richmond.  He gave the club style and flair.   

Newman:  He loved those walks around the boundary before the game – especially during the finals.   

Richmond:  He was a ferocious fighter for the club at the league.  His fights at the league table have gone down in its history and he’s become almost a mythical figure.  His fights were both physical and verbal, I might add.  You had to be a very good in-fighter in those days to make sure your club got a fair crack of the whip.

Newman:  This is maybe why there is an AFL Commission now.

Richmond:  But the success of any club is – you’ve only got to look at Hawthorn.  OK, we can all grimace over the zone they got and whereas the zones were meant to be redrawn every three years, that convention very smartly went down the gurgler when the clubs realised what a good wicket they were on.  They forgot about the next stage and decided to stick with the status quo.  But Ron Cook, another of the great football administrators I’ve known, was smart enough to have Hawthorn capitalise on what they had.

Newman:  Who has been the best football administrator?

Richmond:  Alan Schwab – by a street.  The best grass roots and practical administrator in the game.

Newman:  If he’s so good, perhaps he should have Ross Oakley’s job.

Richmond:  No, I think Ross is very, very good in his role.  Ross has grasped a very difficult portfolio and walked into the job in the tough times of interstate football, TV rights and the like.  I think he’s grown in the job and I think the league is very fortunate to have both doing the jobs they are.

Newman:  I assume, that as you’ve fought valiantly for the success of Richmond in a local competition, you’re opposed to a national league.   

Richmond:  I can tell you quite truthfully that I’ve been a proponent of the expansion of the VFL competition going back to the early ‘70s.  When Richmond and North Melbourne played practice matches two years in a row on the Gabba in Brisbane, which was a crook ground for our game, we were absolutely stunned at the enthusiasm they received.  We played in pouring rain both years and you couldn’t have got an ant into the place.  Sydney had to happen, but it would have been better if a pincer movement had tone to Queensland first – and not to the Gold Coast.  I’ve no doubt the national comp will continue to be an outstanding success as we move into the ‘90s.

Newman:  Meaning it already is?

Richmond:  Look, there were difficulties in 1926 when the league brought in Footscray, North Melbourne and Hawthorn.  They were an embarrassment.  They couldn’t beat an egg.

Newman:  And now Port Adelaide looks like compounding the situation.

Richmond:  South Australian football is going backwards and the standard of its game is not good.  Naturally they are looking to preserve their competition, but the exercise that’s been done on the financial viability of a team in Adelaide – well, all I can say is that if they want any shareholders, count me in.  I think it would be an outstanding success.  It’s a bit disappointing where, I believe, we’ve opened the door to SA and SA have continually slammed it shut.  There have been all sorts of machinations gone on from the SA side that haven’t amounted to anything when it’s come to the real crunch.  The AFL have forced them to the negotiating table by a very clever tactical ploy.  Now it’s up to wiser heads to prevail.

Newman:  Do you have any reservations about today’s game?

Richmond:  It’s a changing, softer society than the one I grew up in.  We came out of depressions and wars, and it was an accepted way of life.  Currently, there’s tremendous apprehension about being knocked around too much outside the rules.  We must be pragmatic because the good old days are gone.  But the proof of the pudding is in the eating.  The league is experiencing its most successful season, in terms of attendances, ever.  They must be doing something right.

Newman:  That’s of little comfort to Richmond and a few others, who are really struggling.

Richmond:  The point I’m making is that the structure of the game, introduction of the player draft and the salary cap have all had an effect on restoring people’s confidence in the game.  This confidence wavered drastically in the early ‘80s as player went from club to club, were paid outrageous salaries, huge transfer fees and it all put the game in jeopardy.

Newman:  So why do you think Ross Oakley boycotted a radio station last Saturday?

Richmond:  I suppose they (AFL) have to have an ability to register.  They’re in a position to be well and truly shot at, but people who are competitive by nature like to have some sort of comeback.  They’ve obvious taken umbrage to Peter Keenan’s comments which, frankly, I thought were unjustified, and that’s their protest.  They have very little other form of recourse.  I must say, if I was in their position, I would certainly have answered in some shape or form, but it’s not always possible to turn the other cheek.  I’d like to remind those who wonder about Oakley’s credentials that he was a very good St Kilda player who had the misfortune to be injured when St Kilda won its 1966 premiership.  He was also coach of Collegians in the A-grade amateurs so he’s no mug as far as football’s concerned.  The competition, with the exception of the bottom clubs, is in outstanding shape.

Newman:  Isn’t that a contradiction in terms?

Richmond:  I’m quite certain help for the bottom clubs is already on the commission’s agenda.

Newman:  The trial by video and sterner tribunal approach have tended to highlight the violence.  How would you overcome this?

Richmond:  I’d conduct tribunal hearings on Sunday mornings and because of the reportage of the games in Monday morning’s papers it’d be lost in transit.

Newman:  Who made the most of their ability in your time?

Richmond:  Kevin Sheedy.  When he came to us from Prahran he couldn’t mark and he couldn’t kick.

Newman:  Why did you recruit him then?

Richmond:  He was highly recommended and when we put him into his first practice game we knew why.  It was one of the most memorable practice games I’ve ever seen.  We turned him loose on our star centreman Billy Barrot one Sunday afternoon at the Punt Rd Oval.  Well, we’d never seen a rougher, tougher, spitting, snarling bloke in our lives.

Newman:  What was he like on the footy field?

Richmond:  I hope that doesn’t get back.  Anyhow, we provided a kicking coach for him and with tremendous application he improved so much that he ended up being best man on the ground in two successive premiership teams (1973-74).

Newman:  Another man to fit the rough, tough, spitting, snarling Richmond blueprint was Neil Balme.

Richmond:  It was instinctive.  When he opened up he was a terrifying sight.  He took to Carl Ditterich one day on the MCG and poor old Carl was never quite the same afterwards.

Newman:  I suppose it would have been a banquet for your eyes when he attacked Geoff Southby in the ’73 grand final.

Richmond:  It was unfortunate. The ball was there.

Newman:  Where?

Richmond:  In flight, when Geoff actually copped a round-arm whack.  I still feel a bit guilty because he really is a lovely bloke and a magnificent player.  Possibly one of the two or three best full-backs of all time. I know he’s still hurt by the incident psychologically more than physically.

Newman:  Tom Hafey was criticised for taking his hard training ethic to Collingwood, especially the week before the grand final replay in ’77.

Richmond:  If people realised the enormity of the job he did – taking Collingwood from last to virtually top and to have put a succession of Collingwood sides – goodness gracious me, how they ever beat Geelong in the 1980 preliminary final is one of the wonder of the modern world.  Geelong beat Richmond, who eventually won the flag, with five weeks to go by six goals and I remember saying to my father as we left the ground:  “Dad, I don’t know that we’d do any better.  We had our best side and in-form players, an enormous crowd and still, bright conditions.”  We had no doubt we’d have to beat Geelong in the ’80 grand final to win the flag so we were stunned when Collingwood got up against the Cats.

Newman:  Don’t blame me, I got dropped.

Richmond:  Collingwood would have been 1000-1 to beat us the next week and we subsequently rolled them by 81 points … and blow me down, they bobbed up again the next year against Carlton.  It was incredible.

Newman:  You’re obviously a great rap for him, so why didn’t he coach Richmond again?

Richmond:  I felt he should have at some stage over the last eight years, but he needed an administration.  Tom’s very hard on administrations; he hasn’t a high regard for the pomp and ceremony.

Newman:  You’re a great judge of footballers, or let’s hope you are because you’re a state selector, so how long does it take you to recognise talent?

Richmond:  I’ve heard all these great coaches philosophise over the years but, basically, no team plan will work if you haven’t got the ball.  I understand there are carriers who won’t necessarily go into a war and win a Victoria Cross for you, but the engine room still revolves around those who’ll set the whole thing in motion.  Therefore, you’ve got to look at whether a bloke can get the ball and, when he’s got it, what he can do with it.

Newman:  If you’d just arrived back from Jupiter in late ’86 and saw Warwick Capper play for the Swans in ’87, would you have said he could play?

Richmond:  I’m not a great rap for blokes who can’t kick at least 50 yards.  Short kickers won’t prevail in finals.  Warwick is a hell of a nice bloke but he would always worry me if it was Richmond he was playing for.

Newman:  You mentioned earlier that “Octa” Wilson fought for Richmond but so did you, of course, out at Windy Hill on May 18, 1974.

Richmond:  It was an unfortunate thing on the day.  Circumstances always govern these things.  I was on the bench that day as teach manager of Richmond and when the fracas broke out between Mal Brown and Laurie Ashley (Essendon runner), the umpires had virtually left the ground for half-time.  My involvement was with an official of the Essendon club (fitness adviser James Bradley) because I took umbrage to his manhandling of Mal Brown.

Newman:  You said you thought he was an enraged spectator.

Richmond:  I didn’t know who he was.  He had a tam-o’shanter on so I didn’t recognise him to be who he was.  It’s no good preaching loyalty to players if you don’t react when something like that happens.  I suppose it was fair enough I got the big stick, but …

Newman: ..... well, you got more than the big stick.  You got fined $2,000, which you refused to pay, and warned off, and barred from speaking to players on grounds until 1975.

Richmond:  I was pretty sour on the league at the time and it eventually went to court where I was exonerated.  Once that happened it made it pretty hot for the league to handle so they withdrew the whole matter.

Newman:  You, in fact are having as big a personal battle to survive as the Richmond Football Club is.

Richmond:  I’ve had a battle for several years.  I’ve had a series of major operations and am under pretty intensive chemotherapy treatment.  I’m holding my ground but I’ve learned a lot from football.  Football is the great lesson in life itself.  The support I’ve got from football people has been as close as that of my family.

Newman:  Do you think you have a better future than the club?   

Richmond:  We’re both capable of surviving if we fight hard enough.  Richmond has a future if the Richmond people want it.  Men can do almost anything if they gear themselves up to it.

Newman:  What’s wrong with you?

Richmond:  I have tumors in both lungs and I’ve had them removed from my bowel and liver.  At the moment I’m OK and I’m hoping they’ll go into remission or, at worst, will be manageable.  For every day you are kept alive, medical science has a better chance of keeping you in business – permanently.

Newman:  You and Richmond both, let’s hope.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 06:12:50 AM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
RFC Memorable Moments #1: the "Save Our Skin" campaign - Part Two: Tigers Rally
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2005, 10:33:23 PM »
FOES STILL PART OF TIGER FAMILY

By Tony De Bolfo
The Sun

KEVIN SHEEDY and John Northey - renewed their associations for a short while yesterday with the Richmond Football Club to lend support for the Tigers' "Save Our Skins" appeal.

Northey and Sheedy temporarily put aside coaching duties with Melbourne and Essendon to take their sentimental journeys back down Punt Road.   

And neither "Swooper" nor "Sheeds" needed much prompting, given their obvious concerns for the well-being of their old and proud club.

As Northey said: "People just have to support Richmond; they've got to.

"This club is steeped in great tradition and is in danger of falling by the wayside.

"And if it happened, in 18 years nearly every Richmond player would have been forgotten."

Sheedy insisted that if history told him anything it was that Richmond stood an excellent chance of survival because the entire football public had previously shown its support for the welfare of the Melbourne-based clubs.

"Nobody in Melbourne realIy wanted Melbourne to go down when it was in financial trouble, and nobody wanted Essendon out of the competition in the 1970's when Essendon was in the bottom four and had no money," Sheedy said.

"I think the situation here with Richmond is the same, clubs just have their cycles and in this situation there is a financial downer in society, and we have got to get together in the football fraternity."

Northey played 117 games for Richmond between 1963 and 1970, including the premierships of 1967 and 1969.

Sheedy represented the Tigers on 254 occasions between 1967 and 1979, including the premierships of 1969, '73 and '74. He also took out his club's best and fairest award in 1976, and captained Richmond two years later.

Instinctively, Northey and Sheedy both made for their old lockers nine and 10 yesterday, as they did all those years ago to prepare for Charlie Callender's rub-downs and Tommy Hafey's pre-match rev-ups.

Big Sunday rally

Richmond will be holding a major fund-raising rally in the members pavilion of the MCG this Sunday at 11am.

Supporters unable to attend the rally can phone through their pledges between 9am and 5pm on 429 5333.

The rally, which will incorporate speeches from Jack Dyer, Neville Crowe, Kevin Sheedy, Francis Bourke, Kevin Bartlett and Dale Weightman is expected to attract 5000 supporters, including the club's vast AFL Squadron junior members.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
SHEEDS' SOS FOR TIGERS

By Tony De Bolfo
The Sun

ESSENDON coach Kevin Sheedy has likened the Richmond Football Club to Victoria's historic Como House.

Sheedy called on supporters to back his old club as it attempted to fight its way out of its financial crisis.

One of the greats of Richmond's golden era of the 1960s and 70s, Sheedy said: "We've just got to make sure that they stay in the AFL".

"To me the Tigers are no different to those homes around Australia they call National Trust homes," Sheedy said.

"They've been around for 100 years and a National Trust home is no different to an AFL club as far as I am concerned.

"There is no difference between the Richmond Football Club and Como."

Richmond has collected $75,000 of the $1 million needed to stay afloat.

Richmond president Neville Crowe said yesterday the Tigers were vitally encouraged by the reception they had received since the "Save Our Skin" appeal was launched at Punt Rd last week.

He said the Tigers were gradually working their way towards a daily target of $13,333, and expressed confidence Sunday morning's rally at the MCG would swell the coffers by at least $200,000.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
TIGER STARS OF OLD PUT IN

By Tony De Bolfo
The Sun
Friday, August 24, 1990.

BOURKE, Barrot, Clay - it was a centre-line which to this day is regarded as one of the greatest in football history.

Throughout the halcyon days of the 60s and 70s, the fortunes of Richmond largely depended upon the valor and skill of Francis Bourke and Dick Clay on the wings and "Bustling Billy" Barrot in the centre.

But times have changed and, try as they may, Bourke, Barrot and Clay alone cannot deliver the financially-troubled Tigers from threatened oblivion.

Nevertheless, the three have volunteered their "skins" for the Richmond appeal - to wit their old yellow and black guernseys - worn for so long and with great pride.

It is their special way of contributing to the appeal, which seeks $1 million between now and the end of October, to see that Richmond remains as Richmond, in Richmond, in 1991 and beyond.

Bourke echoed the sentiments of his old teammates when he said he was confident the figure would be reached.

"I'm very Impressed by the spirit of the people who are moving heaven and earth to save Richmond," he said.

"There is no other way to save this club - it must come back to the people.

"There is something special about the Tigers and the Tiger itself which is just magnificent."

Modesty prevented Bourke from recalling past glories but Clay was qulck to reveal why he, Bourke and Barrot made such a lasting impression and earned such healthy respect.

"I guess the beauty of it was that we were all six foot plus … Francis and I could contest the kick-outs, then drive it 60 or 70 yards to where Royce Hart and Paddy Guinane were lurking," Clay said.

"But, more importantly, we had a special rapport and we all had confidence in each other.

"I guess if the club goes down the gurgler then aII these happy memories will be gone."

Barrot jumped at the opportunity to support his old club, although be did confess that parting with the old 24 did tug at the heart-strings.

"I was a very tough decision," Barrot said.

"I didn't really want to part with the jumper and it hurt a bit."

But Barrot, like everyone else, is well aware of the urgency of the situation, and he calIed on all people with memories of the grand old days of TigerIand to treat the Richmond crisis as he, Bourke and Clay did.

"We were never beaten in our time although we lost a few games, and that attitude's remained with Richmond players ever since," he said.

"It is an attitude which people probably could apply to the current situation: 'If you don't put in,  you're gone …'"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Round 21 on Saturday, August 25, was Richmond's last game in Melbourne for the 1990 season. It was also potentially the Club's last ever.

Sadly for the Tiges, the match was its seventh straight loss. 

The Sunday Sun
August, 26, 1990.

The Richmond coach was fairly pleased with the efforts of his battling young Tigers saying that they were in with a chance of winning for most of the day.

"It was a hard slog and I think it could have been a bit closer," he said. "But we were in it all day."

Bartlett also praised veteran David Cloke, Matthew Knights and youngster Matthew Francis for their battling efforts all day.

On the down side for Richmond were the injuries to Brendan Gale (wrist); David Honybun (ankle) and Stuart Maxfield (groin).

Bartlett also said tomorrow's rally for an endangered species was one of the most important days in Richmond history.

"It is certainly an important day for the Richmond Football Club. The weather forecast is not fantastic but we need a bumper crowd and bumper donations to ensure Richmond's future," he said.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 10:50:48 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
THE MCG RALLY

DYER BLAST FOR THE AFL

By Cheryl Critchley
The Sun
Monday, August 27, 1990.

RICHMOND legend Jack Dyer yesterday blasted the AFL Commission as he made an emotional plea to save his embattled club.

Richmond must raise $1 million by October 31 or face liquidation, and Dyer accused the league of ignoring its plight.

At yesterday's MCG rally, which saw more than 10,000 fans give the club's most famous player a standing ovation. he said the commission gave no thought to "the ordinary people".

"It's an awful thing that search for power, especially when it's made by tuppence ha'penny sort of people," he said.

"They dare to try and throw us out of the league - they must be moonstruck or something up the top there.

"They seem to think up there in the ivory tower that there'll be no one last or second last or third last.

"Perhaps when they wake up to that they'll get a bit of bloody sense."

Dyer said he couldn't mention any names "because they'll sue me".

Taking a swipe at the interstate competition, Dyer said the rally crowd was double what the AFL could expect at a Sydney match and urged fans to dig deep.

"By gee it's one of the greatest sights I've seen in my football life," he said.

"Just give up the bingo for a while, just give up these race horses for 10 weeks and we'll get out of it."   

The SOS rally saw dozens of former tiger greats including Roger Dean, Bill Barrot, Barry Richardson, Dick Clay, Kevin Sheedy, Francis Bourke, Bryan Wood and Barry Rowlings pledge their support.

The former players' association donated $20,000.

President Neville Crowe told the cheering crowd that $130,000 had already been raised but there was still a long way to go.

He said if the $1 million target was reached Richmond could wipe out its deficit and trade profitably with a $285,000 surplus next year.

"I want you to understand the seriousness of the position," he said.

"We've got to give until it hurts then we've got to give a little more - we've got to defend our right to stay in this competition."

Crowe thanked other clubs for their support, notably traditional enemy Collingwood.

"Collingwood's a side that you hate on one side but when they say `we want you in the competition' it makes you feel good," he said.

Club finance director Mike Humphris said unless its "hard-core" liabilites of $1 milliom were paid this year Richmond would face merging, relocating or total liquidation.

An emotional coach and 403-game player Kevin Bartlett said he would be shattered if the club, which had been his life, folded.

"It would be a very sad day not only for myself but for all these great people," he said.

"It would be very disappointing for the people whose lives have revolved around the Richmond Football Club."

Captain Dale Weightman said he was proud to wear the black and gold, and hoped his young charges would continue to do so.

"They want to have the chance to become a Francis Bourke, Kevin Bartlett or Kevin Sheedy," he said.

"All they want is (for the supporters) to give them a chance to play next year."

* THE Tigers raised $189,000 at the weekend to life the Save our Skins appeal total to $314,500.

The club also has been pledged $9500 and the sale of season tickets for 1991 and beyond has raised $20,000. These two figures have not been included in the overall amount. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
TIGERS PLAY FOR NOTHING

By Mick Atkins
The Sun
Saturday, September 1, 1990.

RICHMOND players and staff will play and work for nothing, in what could be the club's last match, in Sydney tomorrow.

The $50,000 the players, administrative and training staff would have cost the club for the Swans match, will be directed to the Tigers Save Our Skins fund.

"We wanted to do something for the club and this is what the players chose," skipper Dale Weightman said yesterday.

"We know the club is in a tight situation and it was decided unanimously at a players' meeting earlier in the week that this is the way we'd go," he said.

"We want to do anything we can to have the club around in 1991.

"I've been at this club for 14 years and it has become a big part of my life," he said.

"It's imperative for all the workers around the club and the diehard Richmond people that the club survives."

Vice-captain Michael Pickering has an added incentive for the Tigers to continue next season.

His brother Andrew is playing in the reserves and it will give him a chance to join Michael and other brother Justin in the seniors.

* WHEELER'S Hill Secondary College year 7 student Leela DeKretser proudly rang the club yesterday to say her school had raised $400 for the Save Our Skins fund at an out of uniform day.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The Tigers in their final match for 1990 finish off the season with a 5 goal win over the Swans in Sydney in front of a crowd of just 6,996. The game most memorable for Michael Mitchell's goal of the year.

RICHMOND   8.4   13.10   18.16    20.19-139
SYDNEY       2.7     4.9      9.15    15.19-109

TIGERS HIT THEIR STRIPES

By NEIL WILSON in Sydney
The Sun
Monday, September 3, 1990.

Team shows it deserves a go

RICHMOND underlined its worth to the AFL competition with a impressive overpowering of Sydney at the SCG yesterday.

The Tigers finished easing up to win by five goals - but that margin flattered the home side.

During the first three quarters Richmond put on a football display as skilful, direct and powerful as any other side which has visited the SCG this season.

The Swans trailed by 55 points at half and three-quarter time and it was only a little more commitment in the final term which saved them from an SCG thrashing similar to that handed out by Essendon and Carlton,

"It is just a very, very disappointing way to finish a very disappointing season," said frustrated coach Col Kinnear. He confirmed he would be in charge of the Swans again next year.

His club rounded off their worst season since going north with players failing to match their opponents' desperation for the ball as well as their skills and timing on the occasions when they got it.

Richmond, on the other hand, showed all the right reasons why it deserves to survive into season 1991.

The young Tigers magnificently led by David Cloke in his 311th and final game, played the short SCG straight down the corridor in an object lesson to the home side on direct football.

It was the first half in which they dominated most, but two second-half incidents best summed up their style.

Back pocket Tony Free, at 178cm and 76kg one of the Tiger's smaller players, ran the ball 50m out of defence and in doing so bounded straight through the 191cm and 92kg Wayne Henwood.

The fair hip and shoulder left the "Moose" flat on his back and took out one of the Swans' few effective players - as Free careered up field.

Then in the final quarter rover Michael Mitchell ran the ball 100m, taking seven bounces as he surged straight down the corridor and around two Swans before goaling.

Both incidents said a lot about the respective determination of the sides, with the Tiger rampage beginning from Cloke's dominance of the centre bounces.

As has happened so many times before, the Swans were ineffective in the key forward position, with backman convert Mark Bayes unable to provide drive.

It was only the continued fine play of full-forward Wayne Henwood who provided them with a target, returning to the field after the Free incident to courageously score the last of his three goals.

The Richmond thrust, which netted them seven of their eight first-term goals in 14 minutes, continued into the second with inspired play from flanker Ryan.

His two goals for the term should have been four but for poor kicking.

Lambert continued to dominate for the Tigers whenever the ball hit the ground in packs or when a link man was needed.

The Swans regrouped after half time largely due to the hard work of Barry Mitchell and Greg Williams, who lifted their games to provide some drive to the busy Higgins and Henwood up forward.

The improvement continued into the final term, but by that stage the Tigers were easing up as Cloke drifted around the backline marking, handballing and running out his final minutes of his playing life to ensure his side's safety.

Later the big man admitted that if the side was to do better without him in 1991 it would need more consistency.

Kinnear said his team had been let down by the same half dozen players - whom he would not name - they had let them down too many times in season 1990.

"As a match committee and as a coach we will have to sit down over the next six months and think about this last game, think about the players," he said.

"We will be sitting down and going through the player's futures individually."

"There may be a few retirements in Sydney over summer."

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
TIGERS PLAY 'ACE'

The Sun
Thursday, September 6, 1990.

IT was a long way from Flushine Meadow - but a match on the tennis court behlnd the Camberwell home of Richmond legend Francis Bourke may be an 'ace' for the Tigers.

Four former Richmond greats - Francis Bourke, Dick Clay, Wayne WaIsh and Erie Leech - staged their own version of the US Open last night, in training for the Legends of Footy match to be played at the Punt Road Oval on September 23.

"We're getting back into shape for the big match," Bourke said.

The Tigers will take on arch-rival Carlton and while the game is unlikely to provide the spectacle of the great clashes of the 1960s, 70s and 80s, Richmond hopes it will raise much-needed dollars for the embattled club.

Bourke, Clay, Walsh and Leech have etched their names into Richmond history and are keen to fight for the young Tiger players and supporters who have already given so much to the club.

"It's vital - the club survives, not only for our great history but for the young blokes playing and the kids that support us," Bourke said.

"We've got to give these young guys the opportunities that we had while we were there. "

Bourke said he was heartened by the response from the public and supporters of all clubs, and was pleased with the growing momentum of the appeal.

Tiger president Neville Crowe last night said the Save our Skins fund total was rapidly approaching the halfway mark.

"We've got $405,000 in donations … and $62,000 in membership pledges, for both one and five-year memberships," he said.

He said he was excited about the Legends match (of whom he will be a part) and promised a day of fun.

Leech said Ted Whitten and Ian Robertson would umpire the match, while former 'superboots' Bernie Quinlan and Peter McKenna would return to the famous Punt Road goal squares - as goal umpires.

As far as the old Tigers are concerned, their successors will be roaring louder than ever in 1991.

Aug 17: $ 10,422
Aug 21: $ 58,901
Aug 23: $ 99,865
Aug 24: $124,932
Aug 27: $314,500 - after MCG rally
Aug 31: $355,000
Sept 4:  $400,000
Sept 6:  $405,000

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Then in the final quarter rover Michael Mitchell ran the ball 100m, taking seven bounces as he surged straight down the corridor and around two Swans before goaling.

Still arguably the best goal from a Tiger I have ever seen. Classic Michael Mitchell. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Were the Tigers ever well off financially?