Author Topic: Dan Richardson on SEN / Tigers 'paying the price' for recruit strategy  (Read 20058 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
So desperate to cover their own arses and not accept any blame, they've effectively resorted to blaming the supporters....

Yep - 70,000 members, Fighting Tiger Fund, highest attendances in the AFL.....what a selfish bunch of greedy, demanding pricks we are.....

Not to mention that clubs like the Bulldogs, Norf and now Melbourne & St Kilda all have chosen recruiting paths that take time without shortcuts and yet all have significantly smaller supporter bases.
Why state no short cuts in 2010 and change tact a year later?
Unprofessional, internally lost deluded club.

We're the cautionary tale of the competition, providing all the other clubs with a template of how not to run an AFL club - all they need to do is simply ask themselves "What would Richmond do?", then just do the opposite....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
Would you get this from any other club?

I can't even summons the energy to argue with my trolling mates this afternoon after this. Shouldn't have a job with condescending bullish!t like this Dan.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
blair hartley is a bastard
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Thank goodness i had parked the car when he made is "the fams wouldn't have accepted an 8 year rebuild" comment

What an absolute cop out and insult.

We deserve better than having to carry the can for the clubs mistakes  :banghead

Yep. Pardon my french but stuff Richardson, Hartley and anyone involved who agreed.

ABSOLUTE DISGRACE

Holy poo
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 06:58:56 PM by Dooks »
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Thank goodness i had parked the car when he made is "the fams wouldn't have accepted an 8 year rebuild" comment

What an absolute cop out and insult.

We deserve better than having to carry the can for the clubs mistakes  :banghead

Vote with your arse.
Stop going to games.
Everybody !!

:thumbsup
x2

stuff em. X3
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
X4 pricks
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

tony_montana

FFS this poo just makes me angry

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
 :lol :lol He's stuffing right though

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Really shows our footy department has no idea and this clown needs to go along with them.Been at the club since 2012,ok I give the club some le way those early years when suns and giants had the draft but tell me what happen last year picking up Townsend,Moore and Yarran the year before Hampson and Hunt the list goes on.To much exuses and spin.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka

Lmao.

What club takes 8 years to rebuild. Hahahaha
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame

Lmao.

What club takes 8 years to rebuild. Hahahaha

Melbourne

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
That's 15 .
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Really shows our footy department has no idea and this clown needs to go along with them.Been at the club since 2012,ok I give the club some le way those early years when suns and giants had the draft but tell me what happen last year picking up Townsend,Moore and Yarran the year before Hampson and Hunt the list goes on.To much exuses and spin.
I thought he started in Feb 2013......
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Jackstar 1960

How does Dan Richardson get to the position that he holds in beyond belief
Hartley as well
Well it's Richmond after all

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers footy boss in dawn dip

Michael Gleeson
The Age
5 May 2016

Richmond football boss Dan Richardson joined the Tigers players in a dawn dip in the bay this week as the club tried to bond after a difficult week and start to the season.

The early morning walk in the water at Kerferd Rd, South Melbourne, came after at least one of Richmond's so called top-up players, wingman Shaun Grigg, went to see Richardson on Tuesday for clarification on his position at the club after comments about recycled players Richmond had brought in.

It is understood a number of Richmond's mature recruits were troubled by comments from the club about trading in mature players and were concerned about where the comments left them.

"Yeah I went in the water with the players. It was simply one in all in," Richardson said.

"I took it upon myself to go in with them after I heard they had organised one themselves not because anyone had done anything especially wrong, but they thought it would be a good thing for them to do and I just thought why not? I'll join them, it was one in all in .... I got a good welcome from the boys."

Richardson said he had discussions with Grigg this week but the decision to join the players in wading into the bay on Wednesday morning was not related to that conversation.

"That was unconnected. I have discussions with players all the time about where they sit so that was fine. I had a chat to Shaun but that as not unusual. He knows that, especially in the form he is in at the moment, he is an important player for us," he said.

Richardson said in a radio interview on Monday the club was paying the price for having recruited a blend of mature players and drafted in young talent several years ago.

The comments were intended to reference the fact the rebuilding of the club's list had coincided with the dilution of the draft pool through the arrival of the two new expansion teams and so out of necessity they needed to blend older and younger talent.   

Richardson is understood to have been thinking of mature players who had been brought in but already left the club and the elite players the club had been denied access to who were now performing well for the Giants and Suns when he made the radio comments.

"We couldn't take eight years to rebuild. We needed to become competitive a bit quicker than that. But at that time all the best talent basically for the next four to five years was going to be going north [to Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney]," Richardson said on SEN.

"We're seeing the likes of GWS reap the rewards of that now. Our strategy wasn't just to go to the draft like a lot of clubs did because we knew that would probably take six to eight years and we've seen that with the likes of Melbourne.

"We didn't think Richmond fans would accept an eight-year rebuild. We turned it around in four, which I think was a terrific achievement.

"We're paying a price in the sense that we knew that that mature-age talent would get us to a point but not take us to the next level, which was always going to be the hardest part. While it's been disappointing somewhat to not win a final, it's been a good achievement to play finals for three years in a row for the first time for 20 years for the club." 

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/richmond-tigers/richmond-v-hawthorn-tigers-football-boss-dan-richardson-joins-players-in-dawn-bay-dip-20160505-gon5b7.html