Author Topic: Is this the fastest man at Tigerland?  (Read 899 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Is this the fastest man at Tigerland?
« on: December 06, 2005, 03:22:56 PM »
Is this the fastest man at Tigerland?
1:51:31 PM Tue 6 December, 2005
Paul Gough
Sportal for afl.com.au

New Tiger draftee Jarred Oakley-Nicholls could threaten Brett Deledio's title as the quickest player at Richmond.

That was the excited word out of Punt Road on Tuesday as Richmond coach Terry Wallace introduced the Tigers' three picks in the recent NAB AFL draft to the media with the club's second pick in South Australian key forward Cleve Hughes already being compared in playing style to Collingwood's Chris Tarrant.

And as for the club's third round pick in Travis Casserley, Wallace believes he is the prototype "for a modern day player in terms of his size and strength."

While the Tigers unearthed the undoubted star of last year's draft in Deledio, who became the first number one pick ever to win the AFL's Rising Star Award in his debut season, they had to wait for pick eight this year to have their first choice.

But in 17-year-old Oakley-Nicholls, who played senior football for East Perth this year, the Tigers believe they have found another player in the Deledio mould - whose pace is such that he won the grand final sprint this year.

Oakley-Nicholls was ranked first for agility and second for speed at this year's draft camp and his sheer pace has already caught the eye of Wallace at training.

"I said to Brett (Deledio) I can't guarantee you can defend your (grand final sprint) title this year if we are not playing in it and he said "Why not"

"And I said I have the testing times from the draft camp here and from what I can see you are no longer the quickest player at the footy club."

Oakley-Nicholls said he had already noted Deledio's pace and fitness and would use him as an example as he seeks to make an impression next year.

"I couldn't wait to get over here," the Tigers' top draft pick said.

"I am happy to come to Victoria. I didn't care where I went as long as I got drafted."

Wallace said Tiger fans would be excited when they saw Oakley-Nicholls play but said how quickly any of the club's new draftees break into the side was up to them.

"Jarred can play half-back, wing, half-forward but eventually he will make it as an on-baller but he will need to develop his body (he weighs just 75kg despite standing 188cm) before we throw him into the heat of the action."

The Tigers' second selection in 192cm Hughes was the All-Australian centre-half-forward at under 18 level this year but it is his agility for a key forward which has caught Wallace's eye.

"He is a Chris Tarrant type who always manages to get a couple of metres on his opponent," Wallace said.

"He has got very good hands and when he gets hold of the footy it normally finishes in a goal."

Hughes said he is aiming to play next year but at just 85kg admits he needs to develop his body for a player of his height.

"I'd like to play this year but my body isn’t as big as it should be so I will try and work out a few ways to get around that until I can put on a few kilos."

The Tigers' third pick in 18-year-old Casserley from Swan Districts looks a ready-made player.

"Travis is very much what modern-day football is all about - he is a run and carry player who can charge off half-back and use the ball well and that is the way the game is going at the moment," Wallace said.

"I really see him having his major emphasis across half-back and that's where he will learn his trade."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=239688
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Is this the fastest man at Tigerland?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 03:33:16 PM »
I smell a matchrace!  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 04:41:30 PM »
I smell a matchrace!  :thumbsup

Me too. They should hold one at the fan's training night coming up. Lids, Oaks, Tambo and perhaps Meyer and Casserley as well. Not a bad way to attract more supporters to the night. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 06:13:50 PM »
Footy Show. Opportunity to get another sponsor to the club!