Author Topic: 2006 Potential Draftees thread  (Read 26447 times)

Jackstar

Re: 2006 Potential Draftees thread
« Reply #120 on: September 23, 2006, 03:54:41 PM »
Sorry about that MT ;)

Offline Limbach_19

• Future Richmond star
  • Leroy Jetta
« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2006, 10:30:52 PM »
The only posistion Benjamin would ever be good in at AFL leve would be FF. He is that quick on the lead that no one can catch him. He has pretty good timing with his leads but has no footy smarts at all, i would be VERY dissapointed if we picked him, strugles to get more than 10 possessions a game. I would much rather Leroy Jetta or Clayton Collard.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2006, 07:44:10 PM »
I'm gonna put up a phantom draft later in the year, but for the moment I'm hoping we draft something like this:

At this stage (unless we trade for a draft pick) I reckon we will draft 4 players with pick 8, 26, 42 and 58

Pick 8) Hoping for a miracle and that Hansen or Thorp will slip through but at this stage is highly unlikely. If we did get one of them we'd get ourselves a talented key defender which we really need. But realistically we won't get him, nor will we get Sellar, Gibbs or Gumbleton.

Around our pick players like Leunberger, Selwood, Jetta, Collard and Riewoldt. Don't want to get Leunberger simply because I don't want to throw a top ten pick at a ruckman (exception of Sellar). Don't want Selwood because we already have Tuck, Cogs, Polo and Foley as in'n'under mids. Don't want Jetta because he is overrated. Not as quick as people make him out to be and skills under pressure can be quite shocking. Ramps has even thrown up Benjamin as a possibility, but I reckon he is a strong chance to slip through to our 2nd pick.

I personally reckon for what we need Clayton Collard is the best. Smooth, elusive and athletic Dal Santo type winger/half-forward flanker. Great vision and composure and has extremely classy finishing skills either setting up a teammate or going for goal. Would add another classy running player to fleet of young running midfielders

Pick 26) I reckon we go for best available at this pick. Seriously reckon Benjamin will slip to our 2nd pick because at this stage he is a pure athlete who is very raw in terms of footy. Reckon he can become an Embley type utility but a massive risk. I also reckon that Tom Collier, Andrejs Everitt and Ben Reid could be available. Collier is a solid CHB with great athleticism and vastly improved body work and overhead marking. Everitt plays as a rebounding defender but reckon he could become a dangerous tall marking forward or Goodes types super athletic and tall midfielder. Reid has superb hands overhead and could become a modern day key defender.

If all were available I'd snap up Reid because he could become a very good key defender. And after him i'd probably take Benjamin because he has a bucket load of potential and flair

Pick 42) This is where I reckon we should looking at needs if they haven't been filled earlier. Quite a few players around here I quite fancy and reckon could become really solid AFL players. Names I'll chuck up are James Frawley, Matt Austin, Joseph Anderson and Kurt Tippett.

James Frawley I really like (forget he is related to Spud), he has genuine talent. Extremely athletic and smart lock-down CHB, but kicking is quite inconsistent (but can be worked on). The type of key defender I reckon Wallace would be interested in. Austin is a classy and athletic midfielder/forward with good skills and vision (TW type player like Lids and JON). J Anderson goes in the same pile as Austin. Tippett is a project type player but good raw attributes. Excellent size and mark overhead but plenty to learn about the game.

I seriously hope we can snare Frawley because I rate him really highly whereas others seem to underrate him.

Pick 58) Slim pickings here as my knowledge of this years draft isn't as extensive as others. Probable draftees still loitering around this pick would probably be the Brown twins, Alex Lee and Ryan Anderson.

The Brown twins are both old-schoolish key defenders. Both have good builds, strong hands and some talent but unfortunately not the quickish key position players on offer. Alex Lee on the other hand is an athletic type key-forward who spent some time down in the backline for the Dandenong Stingrays. Ryan Anderson is who I hope we snare at this pick though. Extremely quick, works hard both ways, neat set of skills and generally makes good decisions. Only thing I can fault him on is being a bit on the small side but if he can grow to 180cm it should be fine.

Ramps

« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2006, 11:16:49 AM »
If we concentrate on WAFL Colts footy we will do very well indeed. The West Australians have got so many players its not funny, players like Jarryd Morton and James Hawksley should be targetted to come to Punt Road. That means we need extra picks in the 2nd round.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2006 Potential Draftees thread - Dawes hopes for a draft break (H-Sun)
« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2006, 04:07:24 AM »

Cruel blow: Chris Dawes rests up at home yesterday before tomorrow's draft camp.
Picture: Michael Klein

Unlucky Dawes hopes for a draft break
03 October 2006   Herald-Sun
Mark Stevens

EXCITING key position prospect Chris Dawes will limp into this week's draft camp burdened by the cruel reality he is out for the entire 2007 season.

Dawes, once rated a possible first-round pick, had a knee reconstruction three weeks ago after a mishap in the last home-and-away game of the TAC Cup.

In a painful twist to an already heart-breaking story, the Brighton Grammar student was the victim of friendly fire.

A Sandringham Dragons teammate accidentally crashed into his knee with the ball dead after a 50m penalty was paid.

The 18-year-old has been given medical clearance to fly to the draft camp, starting in Canberra tomorrow, and will now be forced to sell himself in interviews with clubs.

At 195cm and 100kg, he is a tantalising prospect, but clubs will now weigh up the risk.

Dawes played a key role for Victoria Metro in the national under-18 titles, teaming up forward with Geelong father-son pick Tom Hawkins.

But if the worst-case scenario unfolds on national draft day, he could be given a chance via the rookie draft.

``I could slide out of contention now ... it is hard to know what clubs are thinking, but hopefully they've seen enough good things,'' Dawes said.

``I am going to the draft camp to show them I am still very keen.''

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20514495%255E20322,00.html

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2006, 09:26:20 PM »
I'm going to post my mock draft some time after my VCE exams, so a week or so before the actual draft

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2006, 11:04:17 PM »
I'm going to post my mock draft some time after my VCE exams, so a week or so before the actual draft

Best of luck with your exams bluey  :cheers
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2006 Potential Draftees thread - Dean Kelly article (The Age)
« Reply #127 on: October 04, 2006, 01:55:50 AM »

Dean Kelly of the Oakleigh Chargers takes a mark under pressure during the TAC Cup Grand Final against the Calder Cannons.
Photo: Mark Dadswell

Kelly looks the goods, but not like his brother
Craig O'Donoghue
The Age
October 4, 2006

FREMANTLE star Heath Black could be joined in the AFL next season by his half-brother, who had a best-on-ground performance in the TAC Cup grand final last Saturday.

Oakleigh Chargers captain Dean Kelly may have a different surname but with 22 disposals, seven marks and 6.1 in the grand final win over Calder Cannons, he made sure recruiting officers wouldn't forget him on draft day.

Black and Kelly are very different. Kelly has light hair while Black's is dark. The Docker is a speedy wingman with a raking left-foot kick, Kelly is a nuggety right-footed ball winner who takes contested marks. The pair have different fathers and a nine-year age difference.

While Black was always destined to be drafted, Kelly has had to work harder. Despite winning Oakleigh's best and fairest last year and representing Victoria at the under-18 national titles this season, he hasn't been invited to the AFL draft camp. He will get the chance to impress at the state screenings later this month.

"He's done it the hard way and I admire the way he's gone about it," Black said. "I've seen that tenacious need to to make the grade. He's zoned in and it's all he wants to do. I really like watching him play. A lot of the things he does, I can't do. I can't take one-on-one contested marks and for his size, I admire the way he goes about it."

Despite standing only 180 centimetres and playing only 14 games, Kelly finished eighth in the league for contested marks with 39 grabs. Black has managed only 21 contested marks in the past seven years.

Kelly said Black's career had taught him it takes more than just taking marks and kicking goals to be successful and he had worked hard to refine his game.

"I've seen a lot of things that a lot of guys wouldn't have seen. I know how hard you have to work just to stay in the AFL," he said. "A lot of people take it for granted that when they get drafted. I've realised that it's so hard to then get a game and be one of the best players."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/10/03/1159641325871.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2006 Potential Draftees thread - Bachar Houli article (The Age)
« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2006, 02:48:26 AM »
Faith and fortune
The Age
October 5, 2006

The young men who eventually enter AFL ranks have all made sacrifices to achieve their dream. But Bachar Houli had a difficult decision to make, writes Emma Quayle.

BACHAR Houli has two big passions, and has always known that they would one day collide.

The teenager is intensely proud of his Islamic upbringing, and has spent the past week-and-a-half fasting, as part of Ramadan, the Muslim month of prayer, reflection, self-control and sacrifice. "It's something that's very important and meaningful to me," Houli said. "My religion helps tell me who I am."

The other thing that defines him, though, is football. Houli started playing when he was 12, in Melbourne's western suburbs; he told his mother and father only when he arrived home one day clutching a best-and-fairest trophy.

He is one of 72 young players to have been flown to Canberra for this week's AFL draft camp, badly wants to hear his name called at next month's national draft, but understands he is no certainty and the next few days might make a big difference.

The draft camp is an intense experience; while Houli spent yesterday being weighed, measured and having his reaction times recorded, he will have completed a bunch of running and jumping tests, a shuttle run, a skills session and a three-kilometre time-trial by the time he flies home tomorrow.

Houli timed himself last week, and struggled.

He realised then that his dream needed to be driven with more energy, and decided he would break his fast, for just a few days.

It wasn't an easy choice. "It was weighing on my mind. It was hard, it really was," he said. "I was planning to fast, but I knew it would be too hard, being around everyone and doing a schedule that's so full-on.

"When you're not really eating and drinking, you can imagine how much energy you lose.

"You lose a lot of focus. I didn't want to stop fasting, but then this is my career and this is what I want to achieve. Having more energy, it could change what one team thinks of me."

Houli spoke to several leaders of his local Muslim community before he made up his mind, though his parents, Malek and Yamama, were happy for him to take some time out.

"My whole family was telling me to stop fasting. I was the one saying 'no, I can't, I can't', but then I went and spoke to some people who know the religion," he said.

"I went to a number of sheiks, because I wanted to see all the different opinions, but thankfully they all came back with the same thought. They just said if you're away on business or for your career, it's OK to take a few days away from fasting.

"I'm a bit upset, because I think about everyone else back home in Melbourne, and about all my relatives. They're all fasting and I'm breaking it.

"But then again, I look at it and can see I want to do my best and that I want to try and achieve something that's important to me.

"I'm not sneaking my way around it. It doesn't feel completely right, but I'll certainly make up my time at the end of the month.

"Hopefully, I can perform at my best here, and make all of it worthwhile."

Houli found out five weeks ago that the recruiters wanted to see him at draft camp, and was surprised, having negotiated a few niggling injuries in the past 18 months.

He played for the winning Vic Metro team at the national championships in June, and proved to himself there that he could play well, against good players. Still, it wasn't until he had his draft camp place announced before training one day that he truly believed the draft might take him somewhere.

"It might not happen. I need someone to take a chance with me, but I've always wanted to do it and coming here, it's something that has given my confidence a real lift," Houli said.

"It's going to be tough, but I'm here now and all I can do is my best. I'll try my hardest with everything, and do what I can. Hopefully, things will get even better from here."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/10/04/1159641394099.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2006 Potential Draftees thread - Matthew Leuenberger article (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2006, 02:09:42 AM »

Ruck'n'roll: Matthew Leuenberger at the draft camp yesterday.
Picture: Michael Dodge

Berger with the lot
06 October 2006   Herald-Sun
Rebecca Williams

HE HAS been described as Dean Cox-like and is regarded as one of the best ruck prospects to come through the draft in years.

West Australian ruckman Matthew Leuenberger has emerged as the No.1 big man among the crop of this year's AFL hopefuls, with the 202cm giant enhancing his reputation at the draft camp in Canberra.

The 18-year-old's qualities are obvious. He boasts impressive mobility for his height, yesterday showing off his running ability during sprint testing.

He has already played senior football for East Perth in the WAFL and won All-Australian honours at under-18 level this year.

``He would be one of the best I have seen in the last five years, I reckon,'' Melbourne list and recruiting manager Craig Cameron said.

``He's a bit Dean Cox-like. That's a bit unfair because he (Cox) is a star, but he's got those same attributes.

``I'm not sure who the last ruckman was to go No.1, I'm not sure that he'll go No.1, but he'd be up around the mark in the top five, for sure.''

Carlton recruiting manager Wayne Hughes agreed it was hard to fault the big man.

``I actually saw his first senior game this year at East Perth and he was outstanding,'' Hughes said.

``He went back to the colts in the finals series and that's difficult to do, to readjust to that level, and he basically carried his team through the preliminary final to get them in the grand final and then won the medal on grand final day.

``You can't do much more than that. He's outstanding.''

Leuenberger, however, said he had tried not to pay too much attention to talk of his draft prospects.

``I just try not to think about it all. I just try to go out there and play footy and do the training and still have fun,'' the AIS/AFL Academy graduate said.

``It's sort of only sunk in probably in the last two weeks seeing my name in the media a little bit.

``I'm pretty lucky because it did not affect me or my footy because I only found out after the footy season that it looked like I would be going relatively high. It hasn't really affected me too much.''

Leuenberger, who overcame osteitis pubis early in the season, said he had accepted he would be moving interstate to begin his AFL career.

``You know that you won't be living in your home state any more,'' he said.

``It will probably take me a few months to settle in and then it will be fine.''

Leuenberger rated Cox and Collingwood ruckman Josh Fraser as his AFL role models.

``To be anywhere near as good as they are, I would be pretty happy.''

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20533678%255E19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Picking No.1 in draft tougher (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2006, 02:13:09 AM »
Picking No.1 tougher
06 October 2006   Herald-Sun
Rebecca Williams

THE man in the AFL draft hot seat says the job of selecting the No.1 pick this year will be harder than ever.

Carlton recruiting manager Wayne Hughes is armed with the No.1 selection in a draft pool widely regarded as the best since the now famous Hodge-Ball-Judd draft of 2001.

While there is talent to burn, Hughes said the task of separating the players at the top was far from clear-cut.

``It's more difficult than ever,'' Hughes said yesterday at the AFL draft camp in Canberra.

``The boys that everyone is talking about have all been in very good form and have got some great qualities.

``It's going to be a very difficult decision.''

Glenelg midfielder Bryce Gibbs, East Perth ruckman Matthew Leuenberger, Peel Thunder forward Scott Gumbleton, Gippsland defender Lachlan Hansen and Glenelg tall James Sellar are regarded as the top candidates in this year's field.

But Hughes, who selected Marc Murphy with the No.1 pick in last year's national draft, said Bendigo midfielder Joel Selwood should also be added to that mix.

``A lot of people have forgotten about Joel Selwood, but I haven't. He was an outstanding player in 2005 and has had a year he has missed with injury,'' he said.

``He's someone that we have to assess very closely as well despite the fact that he hasn't played much this year.

``I think they are all pretty even.''

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20533676%255E19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2006 Potential Draftees thread - Lachlan Hansen is a Tigers supporter
« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2006, 06:18:16 PM »
Lachlan Hansen is a Tigers supporter but he won't last to 8 for us to get him  :-\

Although a noted defender, Hansen can also play up forward. Although he barracks for Richmond and his hero is Matthew Richardson, he has modeled his game on a Power premiership player.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=302143

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Draft kids dynamite - recruiters (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2006, 02:35:59 AM »
Draft kids dynamite
07 October 2006   Herald-Sun
Rebecca Williams

IT'S the national draft that recruiters have been talking about since well before Marc Murphy's name was read out at No. 1 last year.

And after three days of prodding, measuring, testing and interviews at the draft camp, little has changed the view of this year's crop of budding AFL stars.

It's a gem.

The popular view of this year's group is that it's the best since the famous 2001 draft that produced Luke Hodge, Luke Ball and Brownlow medallist Chris Judd.

"If we wavered towards thinking it wasn't the best (since 2001), I think we'll walk away from this thinking it's pretty close to the best," Melbourne recruiting manager Craig Cameron said.

This year's class boasts standout talent at the top, a string of quality talls and the depth to ensure there will be prizes well beyond the first round.

But the top picks aren't as clear-cut as in previous drafts.

Many recruiters agree there are possibly five names that would not be out of place being read out first.

For the past year, most of the talk has surrounded Glenelg's Bryce Gibbs.

He is the standout midfielder in the group, a poised and well-balanced playmaker who has played senior footy in the SANFL.

West Australian Scott Gumbleton is regarded as the pick of the key-position players. He is a 195cm key forward, who has played senior footy for Peel in the WAFL.

WA ruckman Matthew Leuenberger has also attracted plenty of attention. Gippsland defender Lachlan Hansen is another top key-position prospect, while Bendigo's Joel Selwood will come under strong consideration despite a year hampered by injury.

Gibbs' 195cm Glenelg teammate James Sellar is another who has been highly rated throughout the year. He can play as a ruckman or forward.

Adelaide recruiting manager James Fantasia said the No. 1 pick was still wide open.

"It's still up for grabs, I would suggest," Fantasia said. "There is clearly five or six players that could take the honours.

"It may well come down to the club's needs. We'll all be wondering until draft day for that one."

St Kilda recruiting manager John Beveridge agreed the top players were hard to separate.

"I don't know how Carlton are tracking or what they're deciding to do, but I think Gibbs, young Hansen from Gippsland, Gumbleton and Leuenberger have been mentioned fairly consistently as the top four," Beveridge said.

"It's a good group, but it's not an easy group to rate because it seems to be pretty even."

The quality of the talls is a feature this year, a fact not lost on Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy.

"It's probably not the fastest draft camp. But they said it was always going to be the tallest and they certainly got that right," Sheedy said.

Carlton recruiting manager Wayne Hughes is the man with the No. 1 pick.

He said this draft could be debated for years to come.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20538276%255E19742,00.html

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
Re: 2006 Potential Draftees thread - Lachlan Hansen is a Tigers supporter
« Reply #133 on: October 09, 2006, 09:06:06 PM »
Lachlan Hansen is a Tigers supporter but he won't last to 8 for us to get him  :-\

Although a noted defender, Hansen can also play up forward. Although he barracks for Richmond and his hero is Matthew Richardson, he has modeled his game on a Power premiership player.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=302143

If by some miracle he slips I reckon we will snap him up without hesitation

Jackstar

« Reply #134 on: October 09, 2006, 10:28:04 PM »
I reckon he might go either 1 or 2. ;)