Author Topic: 2006 Potential Draftees thread  (Read 26213 times)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
Re: 2006 Potential Draftees thread
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2006, 01:21:15 PM »
Jackson Sheringham is someone ive mentioned before on here maybe afew weeks back. Look out for young Jacko...will be a good good player. Hope he comes to Punt Rd with a 2nd round pick at the national draft.

I was actually hoping for Reid with our 2nd pick

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2006, 02:37:05 PM »
speed is the order of the day at Punt Road these days. Sheringham would add great value to our chain of speedsters of half back or across the midfield. As for talls, I can tell you that club after club is lining up for John Meesen. According to some, hes killing it in the SANFL and I wouldnt be surprised if we werent one the clubs whose going after him. He can play in Ruck or as a key forward. Anyway its way to early for this stuff and theres abit around which at this stage I cannot mention.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2006, 09:22:51 PM »
speed is the order of the day at Punt Road these days. Sheringham would add great value to our chain of speedsters of half back or across the midfield. As for talls, I can tell you that club after club is lining up for John Meesen. According to some, hes killing it in the SANFL and I wouldnt be surprised if we werent one the clubs whose going after him. He can play in Ruck or as a key forward. Anyway its way to early for this stuff and theres abit around which at this stage I cannot mention.

Ramps, i know what you mean, for me i'd like either Hansen, Thorp, Sellar with our first pick and someone like Benjamin or Sheringham with out 2nd. Or have Jetta with our first pick and someone with hugh potential as a tall in Reid

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2006, 02:05:51 AM »
A summary of Gibbs, Hansen, Gumbleton, Sellar and Selwood in the Age today.

By Emma Quayle
May 16, 2006

BRYCE GIBBS (Glenelg, SA) The midfield playmaker the Bombers are desperate to have. He reads the play brilliantly, plays with poise and composure, and is a good size at 188 centimetres. Gibbs has played senior footy for Glenelg for more than a year, was named third-best at the weekend and beat former Bomber Damian Cupido in a recent match. The day after he found out Adelaide wouldn't get him as a father-son selection last month, he was best-on-ground for the Australian under-17s who beat Ireland in international rules. The sort of player who decides what he wants to happen in a game and has the anticipation, speed and skill to back it up.

LACHLAN HANSEN (Gippsland Power) A genuine key-position player. 198 centimetres tall and looks comfortable forward or back. He played for the Australian Institute of Sport-AFL Academy team that toured Ireland in 2005, and was prominent for Vic Country last year, when he was too young to be drafted, and has improved again in the early part of this year. Hansen runs hard, plays with some aggression, reads the play well and can mark. Essendon already has a good bunch of ruck prospects, but Hansen could spare one of them from having to adapt themselves to a key defensive post.

SCOTT GUMBLETON (Peel Thunder, WA) Gumbleton, a distant relative of North Melbourne 1975 and 1977 premiership defender Frank, is the big, strong and bubbly pack-marking forward. He took seven contested marks in the opening game of the 2004 under-16 carnival. This year, at 195 centimetres, he has kicked four goals for Peel Thunder in his senior debut and been named in the initial West Australian state squad to play South Australia next week. He's a big, energetic leaper who has great hands.

JAMES SELLAR (Glenelg, SA) A slightly different option to Hansen and Gumbleton. He has played most of his junior footy in the ruck but, at 195 centimetres, probably will develop into a key forward or defender. He's smart, composed and can mar an opponent's work. Sellar kicked four goals in the first half of his debut senior game for Glenelg this year, and took 10 marks at the weekend. He's a future leader, wherever he goes. Some clubs would have him as their current No. 1, but the Bombers have so many young ruckmen, they may look at others.

JOEL SELWOOD (Bendigo Pioneers, Vic) Had he been old enough for last year's draft, Selwood would have been one of the very first picked. The younger brother of Troy and Adam, he's a hard-at-it midfielder who can find the ball, rip it out of congestion and create play. He uses his hands a lot to set the play up for others and wins the ball constantly. Selwood captained last year's AIS-AFL Academy team.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/05/15/1147545265056.html

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2006, 09:54:26 PM »
SOUTH AUSTRALIAN STATE UNDER-18 SQUAD

Central District
  Chad Obst                                                     

Glenelg
 James Sellar
 Bryce Gibbs
 Angus Lally
 Tom Holmes
 Mark Austin
 Richard O’Grady
 Aaron Day
 Lachlan Button

North Adelaide 
 Damien Cunningham
 Shane Edwards
 Todd Pfeiffer
 Zac Millar
 Greg Gallman
 Jonathon Cheetham
 Michael Wundke
 Matthew Wright
 Josh Starke

Norwood
  Luke McLean
 Josh Donohue
 Toby Schulz

Port Adelaide Magpies
 Lindsay Thomas
 Adam Pepe

South Adelaide 
 Chris Jurek
 Jacob Crate
 James Boyd
 James Turner

Sturt 
 Tom Hurley
 Tom Anderson

West Adelaide
 Alex Hutchins
 Caolan Buckley
 Chris Schmidt
 James Van Der Haak
 Daniel Caire

Woodville-West Torrens 
 Sam Jacobs

http://www.sanfl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=106692

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2006, 09:58:29 PM »
The West Australian State 18s squad will commence training next week in preparation for the NAB AFL U18 Championships to be held in Melbourne in June.

An initial 47 man squad was announced by the WAFL and will undergo medical screening. The squad will participate in an intra-squad practice match at Medibank Stadium on Saturday 27th May at 12.15pm. Following the practice match selectors will cut the squad back to approximately 30 players for the remainder of the program.

Gerard McNeill has been re-appointed as Head Coach for the State 18s and will be assisted by Kevin Bryant, Neil Mildenhall and Dale Kickett. Former West Coast Eagle, Ryan Turnbull has joined the program this year assisting with ruck coaching with Ken Ferguson appointed Chairman of Selectors and Brearley Hollingsworth as the Squad Team Manager with other support staff including Dr. Lionel Lim, Head Trainer Nicola Mawson, Physiotherapist Nick Caputi, Rehab Officer Les Fabre, and Runner Liam Casson.

2006 WA STATE 18s TRAINING SQUAD (as at 14 May)

Claremont
Clint Benjamin
Eric MacKenzie
James Thomson
Nathan Krakouer
Liam Bedford
Jarryd Morton
Brad Bennett
Josh Hill

East Fremantle
James Venturini
Brad Dick
Luke Nugent
Jamie McNamara
Chris Masten
Rhys Palmer
Dominic Foster
Kyle Hardingham

East Perth
Matthew Leuenberger
Garry Moss
Shawn Colbung
Luke Sampey
Aaron Sweet

Peel Thunder
Scott Gumbleton
Brock O'Brien
Ben Howlett
Jacob Williams
Bryce Thornton
Kyle Reimers
James Hawksley

Perth
Grae Grant
Neil Martin
Brett Speldewinde
Brennan Stack
David Myers
Dean Dick

South Fremantle
Clayton Collard
Leroy Jetta
Leigh Kelly
Justin Hill
Daniel Michael

Subiaco
Matthew Virgo
Adam Cockie
David Gourdis
Tyson Rudd

Swan Districts
Matthew Aitchison
Robert Williams

West Perth
Steven Browne
Jai Menegola

http://www.wafl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=106754

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2006, 10:21:02 PM »
Norwood - Toby Schulz
West Perth - Jai Menegola

Are these guys any relation to Sarge and Todd Menegola respectively?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2006, 03:20:47 PM »
There was a suggestion this morning on SEN that Port Adelaide are tanking the season so they can get Bryce Gibbs with pick 1
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2006, 05:39:46 PM »
There was a suggestion this morning on SEN that Port Adelaide are tanking the season so they can get Bryce Gibbs with pick 1

:yep

The talk out of Port Adelaide I've heard is Mark Williams wants to tank this and next year given they have one of the oldest lists in the comp. The Power will most likely be last after playing the Bombers this week. Port also want Gibbs just to pee off the Crows who missed out on picking him up under the F/S rule ;)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Piping Shrike

• Premiership Captain
  • Nothing today
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2006, 09:37:27 PM »

:yep

The talk out of Port Adelaide I've heard is Mark Williams wants to tank this and next year given they have one of the oldest lists in the comp. The Power will most likely be last after playing the Bombers this week. Port also want Gibbs just to pee off the Crows who missed out on picking him up under the F/S rule ;)

In fact Port dobbed them in on that one. Good luck to Port I reckon.

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2006, 10:42:02 PM »
Our winning streak could make things interesting. I predicted between 4 and 8 wins for the season. We have 5 wins with 13 games to go...we could make the 8 if we can win 7 of the 13 and we get a middle rank pick. That will make the draft interesting in terms of who we pick up.

Moi

« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2006, 10:47:27 PM »
The Power will most likely be last after playing the Bombers this week.
Wish someone told the Bombers, as they messed up every bet i had going lol

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2006, 06:12:28 AM »
Middle rank pick takes us to Matthew Leuenberger territory or maybe a surprise pick like Clinton Benjamin- although Benjamin would be being selected 8 to 10 positions above where he should be. Leuenberger could be used really effectively in a Wallace style of play. Simmonds- ruck, Knoble on the bench with Leuenberger at 200cm sitting in the Goalsquare taking marks whilst Richo and Cleve just roam around half forward. I reckon that could work well.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 08:02:40 AM by RampagingTiger »

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2006, 08:58:46 PM »
At this stage i'm hoping for Mitch Thorp (1st pick), Andrejs Everitt (2nd pick), Daniel Hayes(3rd pick), Ryan Anderson (4th pick). Mitch Thorp and Everitt are both classy, talented and versatile talls with plenty scope for further improvement. They would definetly help our KPP stocks. These two players are also incredibly gifted athletes with explosive pace. Anderson and Hayes are both speedsters with a good set of skills. These two would take to Wallace's game plan like ducks to water.

As a side note, i would really like to see us pick up 2-3 raw, tall midfield speedsters in the rookie draft.

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2006, 05:20:57 PM »
Thorp doesnt seem to be the same player he was 12 months ago.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 08:47:56 AM by RampagingTiger »