Author Topic: Dion Prestia [merged]  (Read 274167 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dion Prestia [merged]
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2016, 11:49:47 PM »
There is no way in hell you would give away pick 5 for Prestia, surely!
I have no problem if he nominates Tigerland as his club of choice but a trade of players would have to get it done IMO.
When I hear the club talking about landing a big fish with all this money we are supposed to have, I would hope it's for a free agent. Spend more than a player is probably worth (HURLEY FFS) money wise but get him for free in terms of picks or trades.
WE MUST KEEP OUR FIRST PICK NO MATTER WHAT!!

Disagree. I think your first rounder should always be on the table.

Regarding Prestia, I think pick five is approaching the mark. Id be upset with losing it, but if we bring in a few late first rounders (Vickery/Lids/Ellis) I think it might be the right move. Just my opinion.
He is not worth pick 5. Pretty simple
You don't get many occasions to have such a good pick.
Jake Stringer was a pick 5 and if you are ever a chance to pick up a player like that kid with that pick you keep it. You can build a premiership team around a kid like that.
Not sure you can say the same about Prestia.
You have to be bold.
That's why the Conca pick has been so costly IMO. You take Heppell in that draft and your club is already a better place.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2016, 11:56:00 PM »
Tigers urged to give up on Prestia

Jay Clark
Herald Sun
4 August 2016

RICHMOND has been urged to dump its plans to secure brilliant Gold Coast onballer Dion Prestia.

The Tigers have chased Prestia’s signature all season as part of a bid to top-up its list for a shot at a premiership.

But after a poor season, leading player manager Scott Lucas and Port Adelaide great Kane Cornes said the Tigers should change their approach and load up on fresh talent at the draft.

Prestia, 23, would almost certainly cost the Tigers their first-round draft pick, currently No. 6.

But after only seven wins this season, which has placed huge pressure on their contracted coach Damien Hardwick, a forthright Cornes said the Tigers weren’t in a strong enough position to go all-out for another mature-age star.

He said the Tigers should abort the Prestia move and rebuild properly with younger talent.

“To target Prestia now ... It’s not the right call, they’re not in the premiership window,” Cornes said on Fox Footy.

The Tigers have also already traded away their second-round pick (currently No. 24) in this year’s draft to Gold Coast.

Lucas said the Tigers should look to rebuild with young talent through the draft in an attempt to peak from about 2018 onwards.

“If you give up your first-round pick for Prestia, you are not actually in the draft until the third round,” Lucas said.

“The issue is from a list management and crystal balling, if next year is going to be a rebuild what does Prestia do? Does he help you win two extra games? Do you want that?

“Or would you rather keep your picks and have another couple of kids (in this year’s draft) that are in their prime in three or four years?

“They really should be looking over the next two or three years to acquire as many top-20 picks as they can however that has to happen.”

Prestia, who has played 95 games, would command a salary in excess of $650,000 a season at Punt Rd next season.

Hawthorn has also been linked to a move on Prestia, who has recently battled injury issues which have restricted him to 22 games in his past two seasons.

The Victorian last week said he is weighing up a tough decision whether to come home to a Melbourne club.

Lucas said the Tigers should look to bring in mature talent through free agency in the coming years, rather than trading away top picks now.

“Free agency (only) costs you the money (for player’s salary) and a list spot,” Lucas said on SEN.

“Trading costs you money, a list spot and the (draft) picks generally or the players you have to give up to get a player in.”

The Tigers have failed to secure a star midfielder in recent years, missing out on Adam Treloar, Patrick Dangerfield and David Armitage.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-urged-to-dump-plans-to-recruit-gold-coast-onballer-dion-prestia/news-story/34a753db0868b51d5e633e80af555fcb

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2016, 12:01:11 AM »
I have no problem if he nominates Tigerland as his club of choice but a trade of players would have to get it done IMO.
When I hear the club talking about landing a big fish with all this money we are supposed to have, I would hope it's for a free agent. Spend more than a player is probably worth (HURLEY FFS) money wise but get him for free in terms of picks or trades.

Disagree. I think your first rounder should always be on the table.

Regarding Prestia, I think pick five is approaching the mark. Id be upset with losing it, but if we bring in a few late first rounders (Vickery/Lids/Ellis) I think it might be the right move. Just my opinion.
He is not worth pick 5. Pretty simple
You don't get many occasions to have such a good pick.
Jake Stringer was a pick 5 and if you are ever a chance to pick up a player like that kid with that pick you keep it. You can build a premiership team around a kid like that.
Not sure you can say the same about Prestia.
You have to be bold.
That's why the Conca pick has been so costly IMO. You take Heppell in that draft and your club is already a better place.
I would argue saving the pick and giving up Prestia is the softer option.

Conca draft, yep we screwed the pooch there, tough to argue that wasnnt a balls up (I think Caddy went after Conca as well?).

Just my opinion, but our list is in now way as bad a shape as the media and many of the OER punters would say. Put Prestia into that team, get Yarran up and running (Maybe Tomlinson as well) and guys like Lennon and C Ellis getting another preseason into the legs I still think we've got enough talent.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2016, 09:13:35 AM »
Reckon we might not be as far away as some think, so much of the game is played above the shoulders also and inside our players heads at the moment is something close to scrambled eggs or fairy floss.

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2016, 09:51:48 AM »
A pick 4 or 5 for a player with two injury interrupted  seasons, if his ceiling was elite maybe but not for a solid a grader.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2016, 11:06:54 AM »
look at all these stuffing scumbags with an opinion on how to run our stuffing club with vested interests elsewhere.  Here is a hot tip, stuff off and mind your business.
Lots of people name their swords......

Ruanaidh

« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2016, 12:46:08 PM »
A sane club would say no...a sane club, that is.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2016, 12:51:02 PM »
look at all these stuffing scumbags with an opinion on how to run our stuffing club with vested interests elsewhere.  Here is a hot tip, stuff off and mind your business.

:thumbsup
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2016, 01:07:16 PM »
much prefer to rely on FJ to pick a gem from the draft than take a solid a grade player.

No deal!
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2016, 01:29:50 PM »
Not worth pick 4-6. Not elite. Solid A grader who can have quiet games.

But then again, collingwood traded 2 first rounders for Treloar.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2016, 01:37:38 PM »
Tigers urged to give up on Prestia

Jay Clark
Herald Sun
4 August 2016

RICHMOND has been urged to dump its plans to secure brilliant Gold Coast onballer Dion Prestia.

The Tigers have chased Prestia’s signature all season as part of a bid to top-up its list for a shot at a premiership.

But after a poor season, leading player manager Scott Lucas and Port Adelaide great Kane Cornes said the Tigers should change their approach and load up on fresh talent at the draft.

Prestia, 23, would almost certainly cost the Tigers their first-round draft pick, currently No. 6.

But after only seven wins this season, which has placed huge pressure on their contracted coach Damien Hardwick, a forthright Cornes said the Tigers weren’t in a strong enough position to go all-out for another mature-age star.

He said the Tigers should abort the Prestia move and rebuild properly with younger talent.

“To target Prestia now ... It’s not the right call, they’re not in the premiership window,” Cornes said on Fox Footy.

The Tigers have also already traded away their second-round pick (currently No. 24) in this year’s draft to Gold Coast.

Lucas said the Tigers should look to rebuild with young talent through the draft in an attempt to peak from about 2018 onwards.

“If you give up your first-round pick for Prestia, you are not actually in the draft until the third round,” Lucas said.

“The issue is from a list management and crystal balling, if next year is going to be a rebuild what does Prestia do? Does he help you win two extra games? Do you want that?

“Or would you rather keep your picks and have another couple of kids (in this year’s draft) that are in their prime in three or four years?

“They really should be looking over the next two or three years to acquire as many top-20 picks as they can however that has to happen.”

Prestia, who has played 95 games, would command a salary in excess of $650,000 a season at Punt Rd next season.

Hawthorn has also been linked to a move on Prestia, who has recently battled injury issues which have restricted him to 22 games in his past two seasons.

The Victorian last week said he is weighing up a tough decision whether to come home to a Melbourne club.

Lucas said the Tigers should look to bring in mature talent through free agency in the coming years, rather than trading away top picks now.

“Free agency (only) costs you the money (for player’s salary) and a list spot,” Lucas said on SEN.

“Trading costs you money, a list spot and the (draft) picks generally or the players you have to give up to get a player in.”

The Tigers have failed to secure a star midfielder in recent years, missing out on Adam Treloar, Patrick Dangerfield and David Armitage.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-urged-to-dump-plans-to-recruit-gold-coast-onballer-dion-prestia/news-story/34a753db0868b51d5e633e80af555fcb

Crap article.

They make it sound like Prestia is entering the twilight of his career.

Has at least 7 years of football in him, maybe even 8+. There's no reason we can't bring him into the side for a premiership push in 3-5 years.

If there's a way to secure him and keep our first round pick I'm all for it - and this is where I think we need to consider trading Deledio.

Arguably Lids won't fit the GCS because they're not in premiership contention, hence we should look at trading him to other clubs such as Hawthorn, Sydney, GWS, Adelaide and Geelong for their first round picks (say anywhere from no. 14-18) which we could then on-trade to GCS (+/- a steak knife?) for Prestia.

We have plenty of players with mid-range currency IMO. Vickery, B Ellis, S Edwards. High-end that I would trade include Lids and Cotchin.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2016, 01:41:48 PM »
Not worth pick 4-6. Not elite. Solid A grader who can have quiet games.

But then again, collingwood traded 2 first rounders for Treloar.

Would you trade Lids straight up?

Offline Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2016, 02:48:46 PM »
i'd like to get some picks back during trade period.
just Prestia then Draft at pick 40+ leaves us well short.

Offline Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2016, 02:54:18 PM »
A pick 4 or 5 for a player with two injury interrupted  seasons, if his ceiling was elite maybe but not for a solid a grader.
in the Prospectus he was rated above ave & predicted to go elite.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2016, 03:11:16 PM »

Deledio to GWS for Pick ~16 and ~32
Pick ~6 and ~16 to GC for pick ~4 and Prestia. Probably wouldn't get it done unless Prestia forced their hand.

We then finish with pick 4, 32 and Prestia
lost Deledio and pick 6