Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 918296 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #4920 on: January 12, 2023, 02:26:15 PM »
Reigning Jack Dyer Medallist Tom Lynch continues to train away from the main group while he manages a plantar fascia problem that has limited him across the summer.

The 30-year-old, who kicked 60 goals in 2022 to finish runner-up in the Coleman Medal and earn selection in the 44-man All-Australian squad, isn’t in doubt for round one but won’t return to the main group until later in the pre-season.

Jack Graham is building up his training loads and completed a running set on the far boundary after undergoing surgery in November to correct a niggling issue that hampered him across last season.

The South Australian toyed with the prospect of moving to Port Adelaide during the trade period, but was retained in a boost to a midfield that now contains Jacob Hopper and Taranto.

Dylan Grimes and Jayden Short both trained away from the main group but will complete the full session on Saturday.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/872382/new-tiger-takes-out-time-trial-honours-former-cat-s-strong-showing

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4921 on: January 12, 2023, 02:27:12 PM »
I went and watched the majority today's training session. I got there after 10am so I missed the time trials. As the AFL website's article on the previous page said, Gibcus easily won the time trial for the non-mids. My spy told me it was by about half a lap. Gibcus is also noticeably bigger across the shoulders.

Absent:

Pickett - hasn't been set yet at main training this summer. We're hoping he'll be back next week or two when his kids head back to school.
Bolton
McIntosh

Looks like we're giving some of the WA boys extra time away. Mind you Baker and Broad were at training.

Rehab:

Lynch - out of the moon boot and did a couple of jogs/runs before heading in early.
Grimes - couldn't see any issue with him. Perhaps being managed. Did some running.
Short - see Grimes.
Graham - coming back from that turf toe. Like Lynch has started running.
Soldo - coming back from wrist surgery. Some kick-to-kick with Grimes as well as running some laps.

Hopper and Cumberland stepped out of the contested handball drills but both then joined in for the rest of the main group's training.

Drills:

- Time trial.

- Contested handball keepings off.

- Transitional work (narrower field) - defenders either marking or spoiling; forwards either leading or spoiling to crumbers. Interestingly, Cotch was the main crumber  :o.

- Circle work (full oval).

We haven't got into match simulation yet so it's difficult to know of any positional changes. It seemed Jack & Bradtke were the forward targets at one end while Tarrant, Gibcus, Balta, Miller & Biggie were at the defenders' end.

Overall, a sloppy return from the break :-\. Plenty of missed targets by foot although it did improve thankfully by the end of training. My spy says pre-Christmas wasn't as sloppy, so hopefully just some new year's rustiness  :pray.

ps. For Sam McClure's benefit - Dusty is flying :thumbsup.

pps. Juddy Clarke did some extra goalkicking practice after training. Most memorable moment was collecting the ball on the boundary and snapping it through around the body on his left  :clapping.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4922 on: January 12, 2023, 02:33:38 PM »
Thanks MT. As always brilliant work!

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4923 on: January 12, 2023, 03:01:17 PM »
I went and watched the majority today's training session. I got there after 10am so I missed the time trials. As the AFL website's article on the previous page said, Gibcus easily won the time trial for the non-mids. My spy told me it was by about half a lap. Gibcus is also noticeably bigger across the shoulders.

Absent:

Pickett - hasn't been set yet at main training this summer. We're hoping he'll be back next week or two when his kids head back to school.
Bolton
McIntosh

Looks like we're giving some of the WA boys extra time away. Mind you Baker and Broad were at training.

Rehab:

Lynch - out of the moon boot and did a couple of jogs/runs before heading in early.
Grimes - couldn't see any issue with him. Perhaps being managed. Did some running.
Short - see Grimes.
Graham - coming back from that turf toe. Like Lynch has started running.
Soldo - coming back from wrist surgery. Some kick-to-kick with Grimes as well as running some laps.

Hopper and Cumberland stepped out of the contested handball drills but both then joined in for the rest of the main group's training.

Drills:

- Time trial.

- Contested handball keepings off.

- Transitional work (narrower field) - defenders either marking or spoiling; forwards either leading or spoiling to crumbers. Interestingly, Cotch was the main crumber  :o.

- Circle work (full oval).

We haven't got into match simulation yet so it's difficult to know of any positional changes. It seemed Jack & Bradtke were the forward targets at one end while Tarrant, Gibcus, Balta, Miller & Biggie were at the defenders' end.

Overall, a sloppy return from the break :-\. Plenty of missed targets by foot although it did improve thankfully by the end of training. My spy says pre-Christmas wasn't as sloppy, so hopefully just some new year's rustiness  :pray.

ps. For Sam McClure's benefit - Dusty is flying :thumbsup.

pps. Juddy Clarke did some extra goalkicking practice after training. Most memorable moment was collecting the ball on the boundary and snapping it through around the body on his left  :clapping.

Great report mate how did you see the players on trial for that final list spot ?.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4924 on: January 12, 2023, 05:59:22 PM »
Great report mate how did you see the players on trial for that final list spot ?.
We didn't notice Luke Teal out there. So not sure if he is still on our trial list. So, the choice looks like it's down to either Bradtke or Narkle (or perhaps neither).

Hard to judge without match simulation. With circle work, you do notice Narkle's clean skills but IIRC the knock on him at Geelong was the defensive side of his game. Those of us watching really only see him being picked up as a crumbing forward as far as a possible need as he will have the same issue struggling to get into our midfield after the arrival of Taranto and Hopper. He's already fitted in as one of the bros though as he did extra jogging/running after main training with Dan and Maurice Rioli.

Bradtke, on the other hand, is obviously a clear need in the key forward role he plays but without seeing him in actual gameplay matched up against a Tarrant or a Balta, it's impossible to judge him at this stage. Hopefully, in the next few weeks we'll move into more match simulation stuff which is more fun to watch too.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4925 on: January 12, 2023, 10:21:35 PM »
Some video highlights of today's first session of 2023.

Watch here: https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1613437245762969600

End of the time trial: https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1613369205876981761

--------------------------------------------------

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1613392180701462529

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4926 on: January 13, 2023, 01:45:05 AM »
We didn't notice Luke Teal out there. So not sure if he is still on our trial list. So, the choice looks like it's down to either Bradtke or Narkle (or perhaps neither).

Hard to judge without match simulation. With circle work, you do notice Narkle's clean skills but IIRC the knock on him at Geelong was the defensive side of his game. Those of us watching really only see him being picked up as a crumbing forward as far as a possible need as he will have the same issue struggling to get into our midfield after the arrival of Taranto and Hopper. He's already fitted in as one of the bros though as he did extra jogging/running after main training with Dan and Maurice Rioli.

Bradtke, on the other hand, is obviously a clear need in the key forward role he plays but without seeing him in actual gameplay matched up against a Tarrant or a Balta, it's impossible to judge him at this stage. Hopefully, in the next few weeks we'll move into more match simulation stuff which is more fun to watch too.

The thing with taking bradtke (which I’m all for btw) is that it fills our list and leaves no spot for the mid season draft unless there’s an early retirement or someone is placed on the long term injury list.

Also is Colina out there training? Really don’t know how cat b rookie contracts work but with our cat A rookies who were listed last season, Miller still has 2 years on his contract to go, Bauer 1 year (18 month contract from when he was drafted), Biggy was out at the end of last year and the club announced he had extended for 1 season. There was no such announcement for Colina so no idea what his status is if he’s even still with the club.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #4927 on: January 13, 2023, 04:25:46 AM »
Thanks for the report MT
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4928 on: January 13, 2023, 02:20:58 PM »

The thing with taking bradtke (which I’m all for btw) is that it fills our list and leaves no spot for the mid season draft unless there’s an early retirement or someone is placed on the long term injury list.
True. That's why there's always the option we may not pick up Bradtke nor Narkle. 

Also is Colina out there training? Really don’t know how cat b rookie contracts work but with our cat A rookies who were listed last season, Miller still has 2 years on his contract to go, Bauer 1 year (18 month contract from when he was drafted), Biggy was out at the end of last year and the club announced he had extended for 1 season. There was no such announcement for Colina so no idea what his status is if he’s even still with the club.
Glad you reminded me about Colina. Forgot to say he wasn't at training either yesterday.

Mate is still listed on the squad page of the RFC website. So, I presume he's still on our list.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/football/afl/squad

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4929 on: January 13, 2023, 06:41:23 PM »
A couple of pics from yesterday's training:

Click on thumbnail for full image:

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4930 on: January 15, 2023, 03:32:33 AM »
My 'Spy' said Pickett trained yesterday.

Colina posted a pic from Safety Beach on his Instagram account.

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4931 on: January 15, 2023, 02:28:49 PM »
Hearing Tylar Young is impressing and is a sponge. Will be ready when called upon and is viewed as a long term key back. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4933 on: January 16, 2023, 02:23:06 PM »
Hearing Tylar Young is impressing and is a sponge. Will be ready when called upon and is viewed as a long term key back.
When I watched him last Thursday, one thing that immediately stood out about Young is his acceleration. Defensively gives him good closing speed and offensively allows him to burst away on the rebound out of defence. If Gibcus' injury is serious (touchwood not :-\ :pray) then Young may end up being an important back-up signing.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4934 on: January 16, 2023, 05:35:26 PM »
Training over the Christmas break

"It was a continuation on from what our focus pre-Christmas was in building work-rate capacity. We individualised it, and the way they returned with their time-trial results would indicate they all did it really well to a tee. So, we're happy with where they're at."

Who impressed in the time trial?

"Same people as last time. I think it's well publicised that Tim (Taranto) ran really well. Kamdyn McIntosh actually missed through personal reasons and I was wondering who would take it up to Tim, and Hugh Ralphsmith did a really good job and actually crossed the line just behind Tim, so he was probably the next standout which was really pleasing."

Next phase of the pre-season

"It's January now and we're playing games in about five weeks time, so the focus is absolutely football. We'll continue to build on some of the guys who are a little bit behind who have missed blocks of training. But other than that, it's intensity and football."

Upcoming pre-season camp

"It's going to be good fun, lots of team-building activities and we're going to test the players in a few different ways. We're looking forward to getting away together and working hard."

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1261808/injury-report-2023-training-commences

ps. Apparently the preseason camp starts Jan 30.