Author Topic: What are Richmond truly elite at doing?  (Read 6632 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: What are Richmond truly elite at doing?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 06:43:22 PM »
Willy, given the breadth of things the club struggles to deliver at an elite level, how can governance be considered elite?

Corporate governance is about how you manage and out in place the correct processes to ensure you meet the legal requirements under the law.

Based on that and what they have in place to make sure they meet all those legal requirements they are elite.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 06:59:37 PM »
Willy, given the breadth of things the club struggles to deliver at an elite level, how can governance be considered elite?

Corporate governance is about how you manage and out in place the correct processes to ensure you meet the legal requirements under the law.

Based on that and what they have in place to make sure they meet all those legal requirements they are elite.

Hardly pat on the back stuff. Should that not be standard for any business?

Hardly see citizens following the law being celebrated for such things. Oh we aren't likely to be sued because we are following the law. Geez we are good.

Id even argue that theres a good chance that being too correctly processed in some can be to the detriment of the club and is counter productive to measured risk taking needed for success.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 07:22:46 PM »
Corporate governance:
Corporate governance is the system of rules, practices and processes by which a company is directed and controlled. Corporate governance essentially involves balancing the interests of a company's many stakeholders, such as shareholders, management, customers, suppliers, financiers, government and the community.

Rigged resignations to enable director appointments and avoid elections.
Failure to disclose board vacancies in a timely fashion ie before the AGM. 
Non-disclosure of appointed directors.
Change of Election by-laws after the fact to outlaw challenger website.
No-adherence to those rules by an incumbent who was on the Governance Committee.
Public bias on candidate information/publicity.
Two different official voting forms for constitution change.
Missing votes on changes from COO's office.

So the "system of rules, practices and processes by which a company is directed and controlled" were altered and manipulated to prevent "balancing the interests of a company's many stakeholders, such as shareholders".

This is "elite"?

WP when you roll over and surrender, you certainly don't spare the supplication.
Hope the loss of integrity is worth the pats on the back in your coterie group.
I, however, have lost a lot of respect for your opinion.

It's been fun folks.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 07:29:18 PM »
Corporate governance:
Corporate governance is the system of rules, practices and processes by which a company is directed and controlled. Corporate governance essentially involves balancing the interests of a company's many stakeholders, such as shareholders, management, customers, suppliers, financiers, government and the community.

Failure to disclose board vacancies in a tiimely fashion ie before the AGM. 
No-adherence to those rules by an incumbent who was on the Governance Committee.

So the "system of rules, practices and processes by which a company is directed and controlled" were altered and manipulated to prevent "balancing the interests of a company's many stakeholders, such as shareholders".

This is "elite"?

WP when you roll over and surrender, you certainly don't spare the supplication.

It's been fun folks.

:clapping
Right.

It's almost acceptable that footballers are morons and paid ones at that, so therefore we can't judge them on a true political level. Their job is to perform on the field.

It's the idiot supporters who are to blame for the continued allowance of corrrupt governance of the club.

Right now, 56,000 have put their hands up in support, meaning they're stupid enough to pay for anything Richmond.

Politicians. They run their whole lives making empty promises, more often than not never delivering.

And you support them.  :lol
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 01:27:30 AM by (•))(©™ »
Caracella and Balmey.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 09:18:01 PM »
Corporate governance:

This is "elite"?

It's been fun folks.

I take offence to your roll over and surrender comment. Haven't done that, to suggest I have is wrong.

I was basing my opinion solely on the my understanding of the basics of corporate governance.

The basics I have to adhere to every day in my working life. The ones that say how a company must adhere to accounting standards. How they must adhere to the basic rules of corporation law. When you compare those to where the club was say a decade ago when they had no such plan in place they have improved our of sight. That the management have clear process to follow then it is a good thing

That was the only thing I was basing that comment on. The process for ensuring the day to day running of the company meets the required standards of corp law and they are solid

As for the other shenanigans you've mentioned. My view is that is a manipulation of the constitution by directors scared of losing power.  While morally and ethically bankrupt, not against the "law". Sad but true. There is IMV a distinct and clear difference. You chose to not look at each scenario separately then that's your call

As for you loss of respect of my opinion, again our choice. 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2017, 09:20:23 PM »
ME Bank. Wow how impressive were they.

is advertising still up? A few weeks ago when i drove past it was.

:thumbsup benny fail.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2017, 09:27:52 PM »
ME Bank. Wow how impressive were they.

is advertising still up? A few weeks ago when i drove past it was.

:thumbsup benny fail.

Yeh but it looks professional.  :snidegrin
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2017, 10:10:13 PM »
I take offence to your roll over and surrender comment. Haven't done that, to suggest I have is wrong.

I was basing my opinion solely on the my understanding of the basics of corporate governance.

The basics I have to adhere to every day in my working life. The ones that say how a company must adhere to accounting standards. How they must adhere to the basic rules of corporation law. When you compare those to where the club was say a decade ago when they had no such plan in place they have improved our of sight. That the management have clear process to follow then it is a good thing

That was the only thing I was basing that comment on. The process for ensuring the day to day running of the company meets the required standards of corp law and they are solid

As for the other shenanigans you've mentioned. My view is that is a manipulation of the constitution by directors scared of losing power.  While morally and ethically bankrupt, not against the "law". Sad but true. There is IMV a distinct and clear difference. You chose to not look at each scenario separately then that's your call

I quoted a definition of Corporate Governance in my previous post.
This goes beyond legal requirements into ethics and morality.

The "basics" of corporate governance that you talk about are indeed the LEGAL requirements.
But GOOD corporate governance goes beyond that into something more.
You say that a "company must adhere to accounting standards". I would dispute the word "must". In my reading of the business pages I have seen many recent cases where companies have been accused of NOT adhering to standards. IIRC one I mentioned on here referred to the dairy industry, to which you responded.

You seemed critical of Casey asking about the financial figures at the AGM. This does not accord with your professed devotion to how a "company must adhere to accounting standards".
Even you have been critical of the level of disclosure in the financial reports.

You talk about a plan. Fine, but the hard part is that the plan needs to be fulfilled.
The main part of the club's success since 2004 is that membership has doubled.

From what I have seen the board has improved in the way they do not (usually) spend money they do not have.
An improvement on pre 2004, but hardly "elite".

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2017, 10:11:32 PM »
Corporate governance:

This is "elite"?

It's been fun folks.

To complete basic governance standards isn't elite. It's standard.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 11:21:15 PM »

I quoted a definition of Corporate Governance in my previous post.
This goes beyond legal requirements into ethics and morality.

The "basics" of corporate governance that you talk about are indeed the LEGAL requirements.
But GOOD corporate governance goes beyond that into something more.
You say that a "company must adhere to accounting standards". I would dispute the word "must". In my reading of the business pages I have seen many recent cases where companies have been accused of NOT adhering to standards. IIRC one I mentioned on here referred to the dairy industry, to which you responded.

You seemed critical of Casey asking about the financial figures at the AGM. This does not accord with your professed devotion to how a "company must adhere to accounting standards".
Even you have been critical of the level of disclosure in the financial reports.

You talk about a plan. Fine, but the hard part is that the plan needs to be fulfilled.
The main part of the club's success since 2004 is that membership has doubled.

From what I have seen the board has improved in the way they do not (usually) spend money they do not have.
An improvement on pre 2004, but hardly "elite".

Execution eats strategy for breakfast.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2017, 01:35:59 PM »
We are elite at having an elite spine (Rance, Riewoldt for bookends and Martin/Cotch and what used to be Deledio) and absolute potatoes around them.

Also elite at playing people out of position.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2017, 01:59:25 PM »
We have half an elite spine.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2017, 02:07:48 PM »
We are elite at being spineless. :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2017, 03:54:33 PM »
We are elite at having an elite spine (Rance, Riewoldt for bookends and Martin/Cotch and what used to be Deledio) and absolute potatoes around them.

Also elite at playing people out of position.

To what extent is that spine the result of what we have developed or what the individual has decided to make of himself - irrespective of his environment?

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2017, 05:28:55 PM »
They're elite at believing they're elite.
Agree with Redan's "brief".
Caracella and Balmey.