Author Topic: Jack Higgins [merged]  (Read 40282 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers young gun makes significant impact in AFL return following brain surgery

June 12, 2020
Matt Balmer
FOX SPORTS

Higgins missed the majority of the 2019 season after a bleed on the brain, forcing the small forward to have multiple surgeries before he could return to the field.

The 21-year-old played a crucial role in Damien Hardwick’s Round 2 side, booting a controversial goal from 13 disposals.

Speaking to Fox Footy following the 36-all draw against Collingwood, Higgins declared he wasn’t feeling “too bad” following the MCG contest.

“(I’ve) got a few scratches, got a big one from Chris Mayne on the back of head. It was all good,” he said.

“When I went down with the brain injury last year, I thought I wouldn’t play again or walk or anything like that.

“To be playing tonight I’ve got to commend all the people that supported me. The coaches they gave me heaps of feedback and stuff to get back, I’m glad to get back.”

Higgins is now sporting a massive scare on his head, with the youngster joking he tells non-football followers a shark attacked him in Western Australia.

“I couldn’t really see or I couldn’t do much (last year),” he reflected.

“I remember watching the Grand Final last year and I could hardly see that game going on, I was just going off what the crowd was. Richmond had a lot of fans there, it was blurry but I’m glad to be back.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-collingwood-vs-richmond-draw-jack-higgins-brain-surgery-mark-goal/news-story/25bdfb94d74d96bc638d35fb3652c09b

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'Seriously': Higgins incredible comeback (News)
« Reply #256 on: June 12, 2020, 03:36:38 AM »
‘SERIOUSLY’: HIGGINS’ INCREDIBLE COMEBACK

There are few stories out there like Richmond Tigers 21-year-old Jack Higgins, who returned to top flight footy for the first time in a year after going through two brain surgeries last year.

There were fears that Higgins may never fully recover after a brain bleed and previously undiagnosed blood vessel weakness were identified and he went under the knife.

But back in senior footy, Higgins even kicked a goal, albeit in controversial circumstances.

With the ball called a mark by the review system, despite appearances to the contrary with the goal umpire calling it a behind, fans blew up over the decision.

“You can clearly see the ball was marked before the line,” the score review official said.

Few else agreed although many seemed to give Higgins the benefit of the doubt as he went back and slotted the goal.

Post-game, Higgins told Triple M Footy that he wasn’t sure about the mark.

“As they say in cricket, you always got to go with the batsman,” he said. “I couldn’t see cause it was right in the light of the thing, and yeah I couldn’t see it, so we’ll claim it.”

With a goal, a behind, 12 disposals and eight marks, it was a great return to the AFL for Higgins.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2020-talking-points-after-103year-draw-first-between-collingwood-magpies-and-richmond-tigers/news-story/437d7597c59085da15ea064b7610e3e2

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jack Higgins [merged]
« Reply #257 on: June 12, 2020, 02:17:45 PM »
Gillon McLachlan says the right call was made in awarding Jack Higgins a controversial mark at a pivotal moment in Thursday night's draw between Collingwood and Richmond but admits it was a "courageous" decision.

"I thought it was a courageous decision by the match reviewer and I thought it was correct," he said on 3AW.

"It was a big call but I have looked at it again this morning and I reckon I was right."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/all-clear-but-courageous-afl-boss-backs-controversial-higgins-mark-20200612-p551xh.html

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #258 on: June 12, 2020, 03:30:28 PM »
It was actually the right call!  The whole ball has to be over the line for a score to count (even when going for a behind because its the same line).  We see it all the time on the goal line when defenders are are trying to touch the ball to rush a behind - the whole ball has to be over the line for it be paid a goal, so when Higgins marks on the behind line then the mark has to be paid. 
The only thing outrageous in the whole incident was BT trying to take it off us because he thought he 'saw something'!      ::)       
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #259 on: June 15, 2020, 04:01:19 PM »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
The Star Player Jack Higgins Wants to Emulate
« Reply #260 on: July 22, 2020, 06:24:17 PM »
THE STAR PLAYER WHO JACK HIGGINS WANTS TO EMULATE

BY LAURENCE ROSEN A DAY AGO

Jack Higgins says he’s keen to develop his game to eventually mirror Port Adelaide star Robbie Gray’s role across the midfield and forward line.

The 21-year-old has played every game for Richmond since the season restart, working his way back from brain surgery which restricted him to 13 games in 2019.

While Higgins says he sees himself more as a midfielder rather than a forward, he said he is enjoying the new role coach Damien Hardwick has him playing this year.

“I see myself as a better midfielder than a forward,” Higgins said on SEN’s Tiger Time.

“Just for my running ability and I think I can sneak forward. If I could be half as good as Robbie Gray … I’d like to (emulate him) in the future.

“I’m playing a more high half forward role at the moment so I’m sort of getting used to that, I haven’t really played it in the last two years.

“It’s more getting up in to the midfield, not so much a midfielder but getting around the midfielder and doing heaps of stoppages so that’s pretty new for me.

“Getting the ball forward is my role, it’s really interesting as I’ve never really played it before but I’m enjoying it so far.”

Higgins is averaging 17 disposals from six matches in 2020, while he has also kicked three goals.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/07/21/the-star-player-who-jack-higgins-wants-to-emulate/
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #261 on: July 22, 2020, 10:46:01 PM »
If he could be half the player Gray is I would be happy.

Don't rate Higgins this year. Bit of a hack but at least he's having a go.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #262 on: July 23, 2020, 07:12:23 AM »
Hasn't been our worst but he panics a lot.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #263 on: July 23, 2020, 01:44:22 PM »
Given that it's only been ten months since his last surgery I dare say he's probably still not quite 100% yet...  :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #264 on: July 23, 2020, 08:04:38 PM »

Oh man Robbie gray is an absolute jet. I actually rate him as port’s best player ever and as per your sentiments if Higgins could be half the player he is that would be epic.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #265 on: July 23, 2020, 08:48:33 PM »

Oh man Robbie gray is an absolute jet. I actually rate him as port’s best player ever and as per your sentiments if Higgins could be half the player he is that would be epic.

Not sure if you're taking the mick but personally I reckon Gray was robbed of a Brownlow somewhere between 2014-2016. Twilight now but jet is a good word for him.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #266 on: July 24, 2020, 08:24:25 AM »
Not sarcastic at all. Gray is a jet. It was a year or two ago there was that game where they were down by less than a goal and how he took the tap from Ryder and put it through, he’s the only person in his club who could do that. That goal after the siren from the boundary was pretty great as well.

He would definitely get more press if he was playing for a Vic club.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #267 on: July 24, 2020, 10:33:56 PM »
Has a go but his kicking has been and is his biggest weakness. Must improve his poor technique me thinks...

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #268 on: July 24, 2020, 10:37:43 PM »
Has a pass this year...will start to worry if he doesn't improve next....still the only bloke who's put in 100% every game though... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #269 on: July 24, 2020, 10:50:28 PM »
Not a big wrap for Higgins. A long way to go with his kicking and decision making, but he's showed signs.