Author Topic: Liam Baker [merged]  (Read 79007 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Liam Baker [merged]
« Reply #360 on: August 25, 2022, 06:31:04 AM »
"Early days, I believed the stories I was too small... It took a while to change that mindset but now I'm rapt being small."

Watch as Liam Baker accepts the 2022 @AFLPlayers Most Courageous Award, presented by co-captain Dylan Grimes.

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1562403363194408960

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #361 on: September 04, 2022, 04:45:56 AM »
7. Liam Baker

One of his quieter games for a while, struggling to have an impact for most of the night. Had six touches in the last quarter.

Foxsports rating: 3

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-finals-2022-richmond-tigers-vs-brisbane-lions-second-elimination-final-highlights-stats-best-and-worst-players/news-story/7fc45960b9d79ca09461c1ff3de0ff76

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #362 on: January 19, 2023, 01:28:07 PM »

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #363 on: January 19, 2023, 10:33:12 PM »
One of my favorite players how can anyone not like the tenacity. But there is nothing outstanding about any area of his game. For me in defence
 i worry like hell about his size. Where do we play him? I still think it's as a mid that he will give us most value but its as part of rotations.
A big body like Hopper getting out to him will change the way he plays.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #364 on: January 19, 2023, 11:41:11 PM »
One of my favorite players how can anyone not like the tenacity. But there is nothing outstanding about any area of his game. For me in defence
 i worry like hell about his size. Where do we play him? I still think it's as a mid that he will give us most value but its as part of rotations.
A big body like Hopper getting out to him will change the way he plays.

Anywhere we need a lift IMO. Off the bench.
I like him at HF personally doing something similar to Lambert.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #365 on: January 20, 2023, 02:01:42 AM »
I like him in a mid/fwd role but his most consistent form has come in the backline. Not sure why you’d be worried about his height, didn’t seem to affect us in our premiership years and it’s not like teams play 6 tall forwards at any time. I’d also argue that he’s one of our best overhead marks in the team.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #366 on: January 20, 2023, 07:20:47 PM »
Starting off the bench.
Coming on as the third rover after Sonsie and Bolton.
Spending a bit of time at back pocket allowing Short to enter the centre rotations with Prestia and Cotchin.
Also can spend a bit of time forward replacing Bolton.

In other words highly flexible.
Unfortunately won't happen as it would confuse Hardwick to play someone in more than one position.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #367 on: January 20, 2023, 08:42:49 PM »
What? Dimma plays people in multiple positions all the time. People legit complain about players not playing in their best position on here cos dimmas moving them around.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #368 on: February 02, 2023, 02:35:15 AM »
Tiger Rioli keen for 'brick wall' Baker to join him

Justin Chadwick
AAP
Thurs, 2 February 2023

Richmond speedster Daniel Rioli hopes Liam Baker will play a more permanent role in defence this season, saying he walks taller when his "brick wall" mate is beside him.

Baker began last year in defence, but he starred when moved into the midfield later in the campaign.

However, the arrival of former GWS duo Jacob Hopper and Tim Taranto is set to put the squeeze on midfield berths, with Baker a strong chance to return to defence.

That's music to the ears of Rioli, who wants his mate beside him in the backline.

"It's good having Bakes down there. He's like a brick wall, he's not scared of anything," Rioli said on Wednesday.

"Bakes is one of a kind and I always walk a bit taller when he's out there.

"With Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper in the midfield, hopefully I'll get to have Bakes down back.

"He can play in the midfield and give those boys a chop out as well."

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/tiger-rioli-keen-for-brick-wall-baker-to-join-him-c-9624417

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #369 on: February 05, 2023, 05:37:50 AM »
Tough as nails | Liam Baker highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyRjDnOxw1E

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #370 on: February 06, 2023, 08:25:10 AM »
Nice reel but none of his toughness on display...

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #371 on: February 12, 2023, 07:31:32 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #372 on: February 18, 2023, 06:58:51 PM »
Update on Baker - appendicitis

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1626728120815620097

Baker undergoes appendix surgery

Jon Pierik
The Age
18 February 2023

Richmond utility Liam Baker is on light duties, having had his appendix removed this week, but the Tigers are adamant he will be fit to face Carlton in next month’s blockbuster season opener.

As the Tigers took to the training track on Saturday, assistant coach Xavier Clarke said Baker, a dual premiership player, will be eased back into training next week.

“He woke up feeling pretty sore in the stomach over the weekend and had it investigated and, unfortunately, he had to have his appendix out,” Clarke said.

“But Bakes is pretty tough, and he’s going to be ready for round one, there’s no doubt. We’ve all seen the way he plays. If he had his way he’d probably be out there training. But he’ll rest up, and he’ll be fine in the coming weeks.”

Baker will miss Friday’s practice match against North Melbourne at Arden St, but should be ready to take on Melbourne in the Tigers’ final practice match on March 4. The Blues and Tigers open the season proper on March 16.

While he recuperates, the Tigers have other injury issues to worry about. Tom Lynch (foot), Ivan Soldo (back), Josh Gibcus (hamstring) and Jack Graham (toe) are not in full training, while hamstring victims Jason Castagna and Nathan Broad are working their way back.

Source: The Age

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #373 on: February 24, 2023, 02:27:22 PM »
Happy to cop any criticism that comes but i see things differently to most.

Yes tough as nails a bit of a terrier and always has a dip. Of course tiger people love him. Sheesh i love the way he goes about it.
 But the truth is he does not have one outstanding attribute. Sort of okay at most things master of none.

Not super quick, small, decent disposal gets a bit of ball and on it goes but nothing top notch People won't admit it but his size has been an issue. For me as a small he lacks a bit of polish as well. Despite that i have him best 22 or 23. A good solid citizen who provides a bit of versatility who does most things well.. Reckon we all admire the guts and determination he brings.
Has he been a good player for us?  of course. Not saying he cannot play  the opposite in fact but he is not the  elite player that people make him out to be.
Personally i firmly believe midfield is the go with him but i dont see him playing in front of others either as a defender or Forward.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #374 on: February 24, 2023, 06:23:01 PM »
Happy to cop any criticism that comes but i see things differently to most.

Yes tough as nails a bit of a terrier and always has a dip. Of course tiger people love him. Sheesh i love the way he goes about it.
 But the truth is he does not have one outstanding attribute. Sort of okay at most things master of none.

Not super quick, small, decent disposal gets a bit of ball and on it goes but nothing top notch People won't admit it but his size has been an issue. For me as a small he lacks a bit of polish as well. Despite that i have him best 22 or 23. A good solid citizen who provides a bit of versatility who does most things well.. Reckon we all admire the guts and determination he brings.
Has he been a good player for us?  of course. Not saying he cannot play  the opposite in fact but he is not the  elite player that people make him out to be.
Personally i firmly believe midfield is the go with him but i dont see him playing in front of others either as a defender or Forward.

Actually I think his clear strengths are his overhead marking (for his size), attack on the football and toughness.

See what you're saying though.  He's a good player to have starting on your bench and fixing a problem somewhere.