Author Topic: Liam Baker [merged]  (Read 90973 times)

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Liam Baker [merged]
« Reply #480 on: December 01, 2023, 01:17:28 PM »
Is a lovely kick on both sides. I see a role as a high hf who can bring ball i50 with precision. Also, can see him being front and square crumbing contests and laying a tackle of two.

Not sure about him as a midfielder.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #481 on: February 14, 2024, 08:14:35 PM »
Tough Tiger set for new role to start Yze era

By Sarah Black
afl.com.au
13 Feb 2024

LIAM Baker was overlooked in two drafts, in part due to his height.

Seven seasons on, the former rookie is a fan favourite – his courage, endeavour and a dash of cheekiness impressing all – and an integral member of Richmond's new generation of leaders.

The departure of triple premiership coach Damien Hardwick, former captain Trent Cotchin and vice-captain Jack Riewoldt last year was the clear demarcation of the end of the Tiger dynasty.

Now, it's up to players like Baker, who were lucky enough to begin their careers with flags, to guide Richmond through the next era, along with new coach Adem Yze.

"The facts are 'Cotch' and Riewoldt left, so blokes like myself and my age group, we need to step up and be leaders around the club with our voice and stuff and drive this new group," Baker told AFL.com.au.

"It's exciting for myself, 'Shorty' (Jayden Short), Jack Graham, Tylar Young as well. He's only in his second year, but he's got a wise head on his shoulders and he's a similar age to me (25 to Baker's 26).

"It's a lot for us to pick up, but it's exciting for the Tiges."

The ever-versatile Baker – who stands at 173cm – seemed to be Hardwick's favourite 'break glass in case of emergency' player, deployed to whichever line was in the most trouble throughout a game.

But the departure of Cotchin – and the possibility of Shai Bolton spending a greater percentage of time up forward – looks set to allow Baker, Jacob Hopper and the developing Thomson Dow more time on the ball.

"We'll have to wait and see as always, but I've been training in the mids and playing the practice games in the mids. It's good, I've been working with Chris Newman and Jack Ziebell a lot," Baker said.

"Obviously it's a new role for me. I've been there for bits and pieces, but it's been a first full pre-season (in the role), so something different but I'm really enjoying it at the moment.

"Hopefully that's my spot for the season and I can just stay there. Ideally, it'd be good to become a leader at one position, but you look around the midfield and there's a lot of stars in there. I understand it's not about picking your best midfield, it's about picking your best team, so someone has to give."

Baker was full of praise for Dow – who played the last three games of 2023 – and the tenacious Rhyan Mansell, identifying the pair as top performers over summer.

"[Dow's] contest work, his body work and footwork around stoppages, in and around traffic is really impressive to watch," he said.

"He's just springboarded off a couple of games last year, which is good for us. This is his chance to hold down that midfield role, and I think he'll do it very well.

"Rhyan Mansell has been another one. He's been playing that (pressure) forward role, which he played a bit last year, but a nice pre-season in that role has been real good for him, and his contest work is unbelievable, he hits hard.

"Kane McAuliffe and Liam Fawcett, they've come in as our draftees, and they've gone really well on the track. They're showing glimpses of some good stuff in their first pre-season, which is exciting."

Baker and the Tigers have spent the past few days on community camp in Mildura, the north-western Victorian town a traditional recruiting heartland and current Next Generation Academy zone.

"It's been really good actually. We have great support up here. The fans came out for a clinic, there were kids everywhere, and then the schools have been really inviting as well," he said.

"We've had a great time up here. I know it's the first time we've been up in a while, so they were pretty excited to see us. We really appreciate the support we get from up this way. Hopefully, it's not too long till we come back again."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1075627/tigers-time-utility-liam-baker-ready-to-step-up-in-new-role

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #482 on: February 23, 2024, 04:09:10 PM »
HUN reporting today (pg 79) that a number of Victorian Clubs plus the the 2 WA clubs are chasing Baker who comes up of contract at the end of this season.

Report also says he has put off "contract negotiations until later this season"

It goes on to say that "Baker is content to assess how Richmond’s season unfolds with a new coaching team and game plan" and that "he has also been told he will playing as a full-time midfielder this season"

Report suggest he is currently on a "good deal of around $600k"

Final paragraph reads "The Tigers will be optimistic he will re-sign after stating when he signed his latest contract he was always keen to stay loyal"
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #483 on: February 23, 2024, 04:22:46 PM »
I love baker and he will always be a premiership hero. He is the type of player I would be open to trade if say a Perth based club paid overs to try and bring some leadership and culture to their club

Online Gigantor

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #484 on: February 23, 2024, 04:29:19 PM »
So people are happy to trade Bakes ?
The return would be a first round pick no doubt .. all picks can be busts
Whereas we have a a very good footballer at the very least , who is entering his peak years and also has leadership qualities

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #485 on: February 23, 2024, 06:31:48 PM »
Straight swap for Homesick Harley. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #486 on: February 24, 2024, 07:57:11 AM »
I would be trying to keep him if he's not scalping the club for too much $$$

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #487 on: February 25, 2024, 09:28:20 PM »
Liam Baker is preparing for a more senior role this year under new coach Adem Yze. @laura_spurway #7NEWS

Watch here: https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1761660207980306922

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #488 on: February 27, 2024, 06:41:01 PM »
Looks like Bakes is VC or atleast deputy VC with Nank and Lynchy out.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #489 on: March 05, 2024, 07:09:06 PM »
7news said Baker will play midfield and may get the captaincy this weekend given Nank is out.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 07:45:31 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #490 on: March 09, 2024, 08:54:48 PM »
His lack of size is becoming a defensive issue....also why does he always seem to find himself in marking contests down the line that he has stuff all chance of winning...I realise it's usually unavoidable during the course of a two hour game but seems like something's going wrong with our structure there for a bloke of his size who's not a noted jumper to be a contested marking target so often....... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #491 on: March 09, 2024, 08:58:47 PM »
His lack of size is becoming a defensive issue....also why does he always seem to find himself in marking contests down the line that he has stuff all chance of winning...I realise it's usually unavoidable during the course of a two hour game but seems like something's going wrong with our structure there for a bloke of his size who's not a noted jumper to be a contested marking target so often....... :shh

If I put my rose coloured glasses on I would say it’s because he’s worked harder to get to more contests in which he’s inevitably outsized.

I think it’s more just dumb kicks to him in hope

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #492 on: March 09, 2024, 09:04:05 PM »
Probably that and laziness and lack of awareness from others... :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #493 on: March 24, 2024, 12:09:39 PM »
Richmond vice-captain Liam Baker’s WA house purchase raises questions about future

The recent purchase of a house in his home state of WA has increased speculation about the future of an out-of-contract Richmond star.

News.com.au
March 23, 2024

Richmond coach Adem Yze says keeping vice-captain Liam Baker “happy” and enjoying his footy is all the club can do amid speculation about the out-of-contract premiership player’s future.

Reports out of West Australia, where Baker is from, revealed he’d purchased a multimillion-dollar waterfront property and could be lured home by either West Coast or Fremantle, with the Tigers enduring something of a rebuild under new coach Yze.

West Coast recently signed Matt Clarke , Richmond’s former national recruiting manager and the man who got Baker to Richmond, as its new list manager, adding a further layer of intrigue to the situation.

Baker’s on-field importance to the Tigers has increased exponentially this season and more so in the wake of a 10-week hamstring injury to midfield bull Dion Prestia.

Yze said getting Baker’s signature on a new deal would be “massive” but his job was to get the best out of him on-field and let the negotiations play out behind closed doors.

“He’s the vice-captain of our footy club and he brings energy and spirit to our club, so it’s massive … it’s obviously a big signing for us,” he said on Friday.

“So we’re hoping he’s happy, hoping he’s enjoying his footy. He will get an opportunity inside this week against some quality midfielders.

“So those things will happen, (list boss) Blair Hartley’s onto that and but we just sort of said right now we just want him playing good footy and been really happy playing for our footy club and those things will come to fruition later in the year.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2024-richmond-vicecaptain-liam-bakers-wa-house-purchase-raises-questions-about-future/news-story/8c3d62a20e5a6e9e1abd43dea12981fd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #494 on: March 25, 2024, 12:34:16 AM »
'A few lapses early in the third and fourth quarters' - Baker.

Watch here: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1514753/a-few-lapses-early-in-the-third-and-fourth-quarters-baker