Author Topic: Liam Baker [merged]  (Read 79158 times)

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Liam Baker [merged]
« Reply #495 on: March 28, 2024, 11:51:11 PM »
Ok I may be the bearer of bad news .

I own a business about 10 km from Fremantle , it’s in a fairly affluent part of Perth.

One of my employees ( a 16 year old kid ) told me a Richmond player had bought his parents home  - it was Liam Baker of course.  Apparently they were to keep things confidential, but obviously this information has already been leaked.

My employees family is currently renting the property back off Baker - but they are under the impression Liam plans to move back next year .
Unleash the tornado

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #496 on: March 29, 2024, 12:00:47 AM »
Not necessarily bad news.....#drafthaul24 :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #497 on: March 29, 2024, 03:59:19 PM »
I would trade him , has value

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #498 on: March 29, 2024, 10:01:21 PM »
Swap for Serong and retire meatie.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #499 on: March 31, 2024, 12:05:08 AM »

You are kidding right. :o

Here is a way to look at it.
You barrack for lets say Fremantle why in hell would you even go after Baker. Boy we over rate our own. Yes i like Liam as a player but to me he is a role player okay at most things but great at any except being competetive and having a dip.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 09:59:26 AM by WilliamPowell »

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #500 on: March 31, 2024, 12:08:31 PM »

You barrack for lets say Fremantle why in hell would you even go after Baker. Boy we over rate our own. Yes i like Liam as a player but to me he is a role player okay at most things but great at any except being competetive and having a dip.

He is vice captain and freo need leadership like you need perspective.
Weller went to Goldie for pick 2 for those reasons.
The only possible upsetting of the apple cart is if freo happen to finish in top 8. Then, they will start doing to their list and coach what you are saying i am doing to bakes.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #501 on: March 31, 2024, 01:23:19 PM »

The only possible upsetting of the apple cart is if freo happen to finish in top 8. Then, they will start doing to their list and coach what you are saying i am doing to bakes.

Something about that trade has never agreed with me. Can't help but wonder if there was AFL intervention.

They won't be giving Serong for Baker unless we package something else valuable. Not worth it.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #502 on: March 31, 2024, 07:37:54 PM »
A case to answer for Baker?

Important Tiger Liam Baker will face a nervous wait after a clumsy effort in the second quarter. After Richmond kicked long to the paint of its forward 50, Swan Lewis Melican leapt to take an intercept mark as Baker floated in back with the flight in an effort to equal the aerial contest. In the process, he made contact with Melican. After an ensuing scuffle, Melican got up to take his kick, and was taken from the field soon after, but played out the match without issue.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1099067/fireworks-spark-after-bakers-brutal-flying-contact

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #503 on: March 31, 2024, 07:49:10 PM »
Thank goodness the Swans bloke played out the game

Still think he will cop some sort of penalty
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #504 on: March 31, 2024, 07:51:33 PM »
Won’t be suspended given the swans bloke played out the game.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #505 on: March 31, 2024, 09:00:38 PM »
Hope it's just a reprimand.

Looked completely accidental to me and no damage done.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #506 on: March 31, 2024, 10:11:30 PM »

You barrack for lets say Fremantle why in hell would you even go after Baker. Boy we over rate our own. Yes i like Liam as a player but to me he is a role player okay at most things but not great at any except being competetive and having a dip.

On what planet do you think fremantle are in desperate need of experience. They have just as many experienced players as us and their kids are more experinced games played,  than ours in the main.

Who in their right mind would give up Serong for Baker to start with that would be a massive backward step.

I don't think im the one who needs perspective im being realistic unlike your good self.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #507 on: March 31, 2024, 10:32:36 PM »
Except their "experience" has achieved 9/10ths of stuff all.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘We’ll give him the world’: Yze wants to keep Baker at Richmond (Age)
« Reply #508 on: April 01, 2024, 03:28:24 AM »
‘We’ll give him the world’: Yze wants to keep Baker at Richmond

Marc McGowan
The Age
April 1, 2024

First-year Richmond coach Adem Yze declared after his maiden win for the Tigers that they would give star vice-captain Liam Baker “the world” if he wanted to stick around.

Baker, who is out of contract at season’s end and in Fremantle’s and West Coast’s sights, has enjoyed a strong start to the year, including amassing 21 disposals and two goals in Richmond’s five-point upset of previously unbeaten Sydney at the MCG on Sunday.

Making matters more interesting is the transition period the Tigers are going through under Yze as they move further away from the golden era of three premierships in four years from 2017 to 2020.

“He’ll make his decision, and the club will work with him with that, and we’ll give him the world if he wants to stay at our footy club – but if he decides to go, well, then that’s the nature of the game,” Yze said.

“While he’s here, we just want him to play free and enjoy his footy, and make that decision when the time comes.

“That’s my only thing I’ve been talking to him about – is I just want his effort to be high and just enjoy walking in the footy club, and we love him. He knows that. He’ll make that decision. The last couple of weeks, he’s played with some freedom, which is nice, so hopefully, he can keep that going.”

Yze said list boss Blair Hartley would work out the finer contract details with Baker’s agent, Jason Dover, but made it clear he was “very much a player [who] we want to keep”. But he emphasised the Tigers would not judge him if he left.

The Dockers seem a better fit for Baker – who was born and raised in Western Australia – with their age demographic than the rebuilding Eagles, plus Fremantle are armed with three first-round picks, so they could potentially use one of those to strike a deal.

However, more pressure-filled performances and victories like Sunday’s win – 11.16 (82) to 11.11 (77) – should only help Richmond’s cause in retaining him.

------

Baker will wait anxiously for match review officer Michael Christian’s assessment of his second-quarter incident with Lewis Melican, where he flew in and braced late, ultimately making contact to the Swans defender’s head.

Melican was able to get up before briefly going to the bench, but he did not undergo a concussion test and returned soon after.

“I didn’t see the incident, but we’ll look at it later tonight or tomorrow,” Yze said.

“If he’s gone and done something outside the rules, we’ll have to wait and see, but I think Melican played the whole game, so that’s a positive ... ‘Bakes’ is pretty small; Melican’s a big man.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/we-ll-give-him-the-world-yze-wants-to-keep-baker-at-richmond-20240331-p5fgeq.html

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #509 on: April 01, 2024, 08:20:10 AM »
Except their "experience" has achieved 9/10ths of stuff all.... :shh

They way he’s playing, west joke may give us pick 1 for him….