Author Topic: Jack Ross [merged]  (Read 83791 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jack Ross [merged]
« Reply #180 on: August 22, 2021, 08:05:46 AM »
One game here or there doesn’t do it for me, and especially against a bottom team. See Chol.

He has done nothing in his career to date.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #181 on: August 22, 2021, 09:00:29 AM »
He played in his true position- inside mid. Our centre clearance work was much improved with the injection of youth :shh
Loved his game :clapping

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #182 on: August 22, 2021, 10:14:58 AM »
Not a huge fan but only 20. Has time
Go Tigers!

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #183 on: August 22, 2021, 11:14:22 AM »
One game here or there doesn’t do it for me, and especially against a bottom team. See Chol.

He has done nothing in his career to date.

Hawthorn has been beating some decent teams  in recent weeks so ladder position is no indicator.

Credit where it is due, unfortunately some posters are just looking for any small negative they can find to justify their own view without acknowledging what he did achieve.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #184 on: August 22, 2021, 01:36:03 PM »
i call it as "I" see it not as you or anyone else does.

He has proved absolutely nothing except in a game that meant nothing to both games.

Lets see how he goes in round 1, and then we can revisit this thread.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #185 on: August 22, 2021, 03:03:44 PM »
There's a clear improvement in his game when he plays on ball from when he's plonked out on the flanks ..if you can't see that you're just not paying attention... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #186 on: December 22, 2021, 01:00:07 PM »
24 Disp, 4 tackles & 6 i50s in #JackRoss' last game of the season vs Hawthorn playing purely as an inside mid. Understand the club has been looking to expand his game but this was a reminder he does his best work in the traffic. Big year ahead for him & still have high hopes.

https://twitter.com/Tigers_of_Old/status/1473041341504385024

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #187 on: December 22, 2021, 04:33:05 PM »
He also played as our defensive mid a lot of the time so the numbers were very good.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #188 on: December 22, 2021, 04:48:14 PM »
Jack Ross and RCD equal favourites for Brownlow 😎

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #189 on: February 25, 2022, 05:33:30 PM »
Coaches' Corner: Summer Snippets - Jack Ross

Richmond assistant coach, Andrew McQaulter, provides an update on the development of Jack Ross.

WATCH HERE: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1064526/coaches-corner-summer-snippets-jack-ross?videoId=1064526&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1645747200001

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #190 on: February 26, 2022, 12:04:03 AM »
Hopefully Jacks year, good luck to him

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #191 on: February 26, 2022, 12:37:14 PM »
24 Disp, 4 tackles & 6 i50s in #JackRoss' last game of the season vs Hawthorn playing purely as an inside mid. Understand the club has been looking to expand his game but this was a reminder he does his best work in the traffic. Big year ahead for him & still have high hopes.

https://twitter.com/Tigers_of_Old/status/1473041341504385024

Rather than looking at just the one good game which is nonsensical look at the entire year with open eyes.

15 games the reality it was more like just 9 with him being sub and not getting on the ground 4 times and he was sub for another two and played roughly a quarter. Also take into account the role he played  i think thats called being objective.

Taking the above into account i think it was a poor season for him and its not just the lack of numbers but the turnovers are consistent.
Atm i dont think he addresses probably our biggest inside need and thats consistently winning clearances and imo he has not despite the Hawthorn game and maybe a couple of other times  at any time really shown he is a consistent contested ball winner.

The plus side is he is still only 21 has gone thru two covid interrupted seasons out of his three and is coming to a stage yr 4 where he should be coping with the rigours of AFL.
For me atm at least he will nothing more than a foot soldier for us if he gets there.

Having watched the intra club game i have grave doubts about him and atm no way could you pick him for rnd one.

A player i hoped we would go after was Luke Dunstan yeah i can hear you all now StKilda hack etc etc but i wanted him because of the grave doubts about the likes of Ross and he really would have provided genuine inside depth and cover if we cop more injuries like last year.

Luke Dunstan 185/84 same size as Ross i think you can call him a money ball pick for Melbourne and i cannot see why StKilda let him go even with Crouch there.

Inside mid getting your hands on it inside, tackling when you dont and winning your share of clearances to me these are the priorities. compare his first three seasons to Ross

2014 Yr 1 disposals 18.75 - tk 3.75 - cl 3.06 - c/p 7.63
2015 Yr 2 disposals 17.05 - tk 3.68 - cl 2.95 - c/p 7.05
2016 Yr 3 disposals 17.39 - tk 4.78 - cl 3.50 - c/p 8.17

He stayed at a consistent level that enabled him to get 53 games in his first three  years . Nothing great but good for a young  player.

His fourth season he started to lift the standard a bit and that continued  right up to last year. He only played one game in 2020 thru injuries.

2017 Yr 4 disposals 21.63 - tk - 4.94 - cl 4.00 - c/p 8.31

this has gradually improved to 2021

2021Yr 8 disposals 25.25 - tk - 4.92 - cl - 5.83 - c/p -  11.17

To demand a game imo Ross needs to get somewhere close to Dunstans yr 4. for a 4th yr inside mid its what i think most clubs would be demanding.
  Personally at age 26 and 116 games Dunstan with our needs at stoppages and clearances  would have been a good fit.There is no guarantee Ross will come on.

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #192 on: March 03, 2022, 06:27:49 PM »
so far this year id sum it all up in a word. Underwhelming.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #193 on: March 03, 2022, 09:15:01 PM »
Claw, all sounds reasonable, however what message would delisting Ross over Dunstan send to the playing group. ?
I suspect you could be right but hoping you are wrong.

Come on Jack, step it up!!!!

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #194 on: March 04, 2022, 11:50:06 AM »
Claw, all sounds reasonable, however what message would delisting Ross over Dunstan send to the playing group. ?
I suspect you could be right but hoping you are wrong.

Come on Jack, step it up!!!!
Not delist mate just get in a proven player and JR would really have to prove himself to get a spot.
I wanted a player like Dunstan in case Ross doesnt improve.  As others have said so far he has done very little and if say Prestia continues to miss lots of games like he does most years then we need someone who can at least play, winning contested ball and clearances and have a presence on the inside.

Dunstans season in these areas were bordering on elite and he has continued to track upwards. StKilda got Crouch and his numbers almost mirror Dunstans for the year and he compared favorably with most big name mids going around.

I remember when Jarrod Lyons wanted out of GCS it was the same deal he had a good 4th year at Adelaide but wanted out for more opportunity. He went to GCS and had two very good seasons and then for whatever reason wanted out and ended up at Brisbane where he continues to improve and play well.

Lyons numbers this year were 28 disposals, 6.4 tackles, 6.2 clearances, 13.6 c/p Dunstan stacks up in these as he does with most.

Typical moneyball find not wanted but continual upward spiral with numbers that stack up against the best.

I can tell ya now neither Ross'S first three years or RC-D thirst three come anywhere near Dunstans early years.
Just my opinion but Dunstan would have been ideal cover and starting 22 and would have provided genuine depth while Ross and RC-D find their feet if they ever do.