Author Topic: Jack Ross [merged]  (Read 84243 times)

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Re: Jack Ross [merged]
« Reply #525 on: March 13, 2024, 03:18:26 AM »
Um let's see apart from all VFL games that he's played there and often been in our bests... every game he played in his first year before he was injured that up until his half a game four days ago were arguably the best he's played....  :shh
:bow Well he couldn’t do worse than Dow? Not saying Dow should be canned after one game and a good body of work pre season but for perseverance Ross should be given a good go, he deserves it before Dow IMHO

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #526 on: March 13, 2024, 09:45:15 AM »
Easily best 22 if he not playing well coaching group need a reality check.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #527 on: March 13, 2024, 02:27:27 PM »
Read a good debate about him on another site and it made me stop and think.

Most of us keep pushing the line that he is an AFL inside mid. I keep pushing that barrow but maybe i have it wrong.

The question being asked, is he an AFL INSIDE MID The correct answer would be no, not yet anyway.
The vast majority of his career possesions are uncontested.

The thinking was he might become one but he is definately not an inside mid at this point and i agree.
We have played him majority of games H/B - WING - FWD. So right now he is not and hasn't been an afl inside mid.

Let me explain my thinking here.
 For me your inside mids win plenty of contested ball and get heaps of possesions .when they dont get it they  tackle and pressure their opponent.the good ones also manage their fair share of clearances they can't always win first ball.

Atm Jack goes at 14.16 disposals a game. cp 4.57 up 9.95.
He has had 20 or more disposal,s to me that would be a pass mark 10 times. That says he can at times get a bit of ball but it is not often.
He has had 7 or more contested possesions, again for an inside mid a pass mark imo,  11 times averaging just 4.57 a game.
He has had more than four clearances just twice and averages just 1.61 a game.
He has had 5 or more tackles a game 9 times and averages just 1.91 a game.

I think the stats back up the notion that right now he is not and has not been an AFL inside mid, Not yet anyway.
The question has to be asked with Hopper and Taranto will he be given the opportunity to regularly play the role?

Rather than doing it again this is Jack Ross.
To date he is not a mid he has hardly been played there. and theres a reason for that.

The question that remains is, Are  his skills on the outside good enough for a wing hf, hb role ? or do we have others with much better attributes for those roles?.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #528 on: March 13, 2024, 04:08:43 PM »
His skills have been pretty sound I reckon. Nothing special but hits the kicks he should, has good composure, makes decent decisions and is relatively clean. He's a very solid option to run through the wing.

I used to have the same opinion of him as you, Claw. Didn't think he was an inside mids ass and never saw anything from he to indicate he would be a good inside mid at AFL level. However, I've seen him operate reasonably well on the outside and to me, he's a much better option on a wing than Mcintosh/Pickett. He can hold the role for a while and hopefully grow and if he doesn't continue to develop then he's a handy role player and hopefully a younger player takes that role for themselves. If the club actually backed Jack in instead of handing spots to blokes with brownie points from 7 years ago then I think his confidence would grow too
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #529 on: March 13, 2024, 04:08:55 PM »
He's a decent kick for goal

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #530 on: March 25, 2024, 01:14:06 AM »
Thought he was good played a decent game.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #531 on: March 25, 2024, 07:18:18 AM »
Was pleasing to see him start in middle a few times.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #532 on: March 25, 2024, 09:02:50 AM »
Solid again.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #533 on: March 25, 2024, 09:51:57 PM »
Ross was used as an inside midfielder because of the absence of Jacob Hopper due to injury, and he excelled, finishing the match with an equal team-high 26 disposals, nine contested possessions, six marks, five inside-50s, four rebound-50s, five clearances, an equal team-high 12 score involvements, three intercepts and 307 metres gained.

Richmond coach Adem Yze was impressed with Ross’ performance as a midfielder and believes he can thrive in the role long term.

“Rossy’s been thrown around. He’s played forward, he’s played wing, and then Jacob Hopper going out, it gives him opportunity to go and play inside mid,” Yze said in his post-game press conference.

“There were patches in the game where he was really strong in that area, there were patches in the game where he feels like he could improve. But the synergy around just getting some continuity in that position is going to be really important.

“He’ll get an opportunity again next week to do the same thing.

“Hopefully he just gets better and better.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1514995/ross-seizes-the-moment

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #534 on: March 31, 2024, 12:17:23 AM »
Solid again.
Agree. was solid and has been mostly this year. I just think solid is his ceiling.
yes a few will feel vindicated in the fact we have not over the years played him and persevered with him as a mid.
Credit to him in the fact he works hard to better himself.

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #535 on: March 31, 2024, 02:54:57 AM »
I think he will surprise a few this year, just have a gut feeling he may just go up a level or 2

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #536 on: March 31, 2024, 07:42:25 AM »
I think he will surprise a few this year, just have a gut feeling he may just go up a level or 2
And then he will seek a trade.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #537 on: March 31, 2024, 08:18:18 AM »

1st rounder or FO, per usual

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #538 on: March 31, 2024, 03:42:59 PM »

Likely lol

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #539 on: March 31, 2024, 08:33:41 PM »
Loved his game today, does a lot of very good work when played in mid field.
 Kmac 2 May drive him out but who will come in when hop a long comes back, exciting times