Author Topic: Marlion Pickett [merged]  (Read 125477 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Marlion Pickett [merged]
« Reply #630 on: May 28, 2023, 08:03:14 PM »
Marlion Pickett joined Taranto in the middle of the ground, having been forced to spend much of this year as a smaller marking target.

"We set Marlion up for a bit of a job on (Connor) Rozee, it was part of our mindset this week, great player, it could have been (Zak) Butters as well. I thought Marlion gave us something in the middle of the ground. We knew he could, he's a good player wherever we play him, but I thought that was a bit of a win."

- Andrew McQualter (post-match).

Source: AFL website.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #631 on: May 28, 2023, 08:07:09 PM »
Funny how he was playing good footy on the wing before we decided he was a forward followed by a game on ball today. Will be CHB next week
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #632 on: May 28, 2023, 09:29:29 PM »
Marlion Pickett joined Taranto in the middle of the ground, having been forced to spend much of this year as a smaller marking target.

"We set Marlion up for a bit of a job on (Connor) Rozee, it was part of our mindset this week, great player, it could have been (Zak) Butters as well. I thought Marlion gave us something in the middle of the ground. We knew he could, he's a good player wherever we play him, but I thought that was a bit of a win."

- Andrew McQualter (post-match).

wtf is he on about? There is nothing right about picketts game on ball and against those port players he was well beaten. MacMini decided he would keep playing pickett out of his natural position which is the wing.

Give it up Mini

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #633 on: May 28, 2023, 11:34:12 PM »
I'd persist with him on ball -still reckon it's his natural position and one shyte game in his first proper go there since his debut doesn't change that ...either way people should at least be happy we're finally using a stuffing tagger.... :shh
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 12:09:56 AM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #634 on: June 04, 2023, 05:20:22 PM »

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #635 on: June 04, 2023, 06:08:21 PM »
Excellent last 2 plays which won us the game but unsighted before that. Needs to go back to the wing imo.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #636 on: June 04, 2023, 06:25:17 PM »
Was very good I thought, presented, competed, great effort

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #637 on: June 04, 2023, 06:34:02 PM »
Marlion just doing Marlion things

Understated
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #638 on: June 04, 2023, 06:47:31 PM »
Excellent last 2 plays which won us the game but unsighted before that. Needs to go back to the wing imo.
The things he did up forward were great but yes he was not involved enough. Prefer him on the wing too but we another chase down forward to come into the team before we do that.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #639 on: June 04, 2023, 07:54:13 PM »
Pickett had three such moments in the game's dying stages. Not only did he set up Prestia to level the scores just seconds after Briggs put the Giants ahead, but he also kicked the winning goal and then laid an important tackle from the resultant centre bounce to ensure the Tigers went home with all four points.

"Marlion didn't have a great day, he'd be the first to admit that," McQualter said.

"There were things that didn't go his way. He's played in a bit of a unique position. But speaking about moments, Marlion had a big moment and he owned his moment. He was able to finish it for us and the team and I'm rapt for him that he was able to do that.

"Even the tackle with the last 15 seconds to go, he maybe had three big moments. After not a great game, that Marlion would usually expect, it was a great result for him to be able to own his moments."

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #640 on: June 04, 2023, 08:01:00 PM »
"Could Marlion Pickett end up being a one-hit wonder?" - Kane Cornes (20th June, 2020)

Audio: https://twitter.com/1116sen/status/1274260196978757632

:wallywink

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #641 on: June 04, 2023, 08:46:59 PM »
Set up goal for Dion. Superb roving kicks sealer and then does a game saving tackle. Big moment player. Stands up when needed. Just like Adelaide game.
L

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #642 on: June 05, 2023, 02:14:08 PM »
on 69 games now. So 31 to go with 11 this year and hopefully 20 next year

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘He cried when I kicked the last goal’: Tigers hero Pickett on what his match-winner meant to his son

Marc McGowan
The Age
June 5, 2023

KEY POINTS
* Marlion Pickett had a hand in both of Richmond’s last two goals as they defeated the Giants.
* Pickett’s match-winner came inside the final 30 seconds of a match featuring 31 goals.
* He made his AFL debut against GWS in the 2019 grand final, where he gathered 22 disposals.

Marlion Pickett’s son, Latrell, was in tears twice in the closing stages of Richmond’s last-gasp victory over the GWS Giants in Sydney on Sunday.

The first time was when he thought the Tigers were going to have to settle for their second draw of the season, after his dad set up a Dion Prestia goal with barely two-and-a-half minutes left in the game.

Another two minutes passed after that without either team scoring, and Latrell was resigned to the Tigers sharing the points.

But Latrell shed far happier tears seconds later when Pickett swooped on the Sherrin and coolly slotted the match-winner on his trusty left boot.

“I’m a proud dad and partner, and they were watching and sent the first message to me,” Pickett told The Age post-match. “My son was crying because he thought it was going to be a draw, [and] then he cried when I kicked the last goal. He’s a big Richmond head, and loves his footy.”

The quietly-spoken Pickett was far more reserved, himself, and even while discussing his match-winning moments afterwards.

He had only five disposals while playing as a pseudo key forward until his late involvements changed the course of the game – and possibly saved the Tigers’ season after consecutive narrow defeats in the previous fortnight.

“We still had 30 seconds left or whatnot [after my goal], so it was a numb, cold moment, which was a bit weird because usually when you kick a goal, you’re over the moon,” Pickett said.

“But [in that situation], you kind of just get ready for the next play. It was good to get a win, and we were all happy for ‘Mini’ [caretaker coach Andrew McQualter] because it was his first win as a coach, which was the pleasing part about it.

“We were missing a couple of soldiers but the fight and hunger is still there, and the group’s still chipping away, and if you don’t win those close games; they can take a toll when it comes to finals later in the year.”

McQualter hailed Pickett’s effort to transform his “not a great day” into a big moment that he “owned”. It was not the first time the 31-year-old had a memorable experience with the Giants. Pickett famously made his AFL debut in the 2019 grand final against the same opposition – gathering 22 disposals and kicking a goal – after being selected in the mid-season draft only months earlier as a 27-year-old.

That followed him turning his life around after twice spending time behind bars due to robbery, on top of dealing drugs and having his own drug habit. Through it all, his partner and mother of his children, Jess, stood by him.

“Without my partner and kids; I wouldn’t be here,” Pickett said. “All the credit goes to my partner for putting up with me, allowing me to fulfil my dreams, and backing me in 100 per cent. Without her keeping me grounded; it could have gone sideways.”

Pickett also remains eternally grateful to former coach Damien Hardwick, who enthusiastically watched Sunday’s match from a Denver pub after resigning a fortnight ago.

“‘Dimma’ is always going to be my coach, even though we have a new coach now,” he said.

“He gave me an opportunity no other club did, and I was a bit shattered when he left because I wanted him to stick around. But 14 years is a long time, and there is a toll on your family. I’m trying to juggle both, but I’m at the club every day.”

Pickett is out of contract at season’s end, but negotiations are on track to extend his time at Tigerland – not that he is focused on that.

“I don’t want to get sidetracked but whatever happens; I’m appreciative to get the opportunity to play AFL footy, which a lot of people don’t get the chance to,” he said.

“I think I’m moving well. At 31, people might think you’re slowing down, but the fitter I get, the better I get. I’ll play whatever role the team needs me to, whether that’s on the wing, inside mid, or even as a key forward.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/he-cried-when-i-kicked-the-last-goal-tigers-hero-pickett-on-what-his-match-winner-meant-to-his-son-20230604-p5ddtw.html

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #644 on: June 05, 2023, 11:24:27 PM »
He's kicked the winner which has saved his game from being pretty ordinary.
Yeah he did what three nice things but was largely unsighted.

Keep saying it but i would  love for us to play him in the back half at h/b. which in todays game is not too different to the wing role he did for us.