Author Topic: What's our best ruck combo?  (Read 32991 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: What's our best ruck combo?
« Reply #210 on: January 07, 2024, 01:40:55 PM »
If Yze is thinking long term, then he'll go with Samson unless the latter is struggling with form and/or not progressing in his development.

See Naismith as more a back-up for Nank's 1st ruck role as, aside from 2022, Nank hasn't played more than 16 games in a season since 2019.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #211 on: January 07, 2024, 01:52:03 PM »
I agree, and they should develop as a forward option, will better when Lynch is next to him ,

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #212 on: January 27, 2024, 06:32:43 PM »

When it comes to Plan B ruckmen, Sam Naismith is clearly the most interesting story. The 31-year-old has played only two games at AFL level since 2017 – both in 2020 – following a nightmare injury run at Sydney that included three knee reconstruction and more than a dozen other operations. But after proving his body can stand up to the rigours of state league football at Port Melbourne in 2023, Naismith secured a second shot at Richmond as a delisted free agent last November. Toby Nankervis left Sydney for Richmond for greater opportunity after Naismith's emergence and has become not only a three-time premiership player, but club captain. Now he will have to deal with Naismith breathing down his neck. After losing Ivan Soldo to Port Adelaide, Adem Yze has a strong back-up option in Naismith in 2024.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1073587/plan-b-who-is-the-back-up-ruck-option-at-your-club

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #213 on: February 08, 2024, 12:40:53 AM »
Ivan Maric gives an update on how the rucks are tracking heading into the 2024 season...

Watch here: https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1755021303789068715

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #214 on: February 12, 2024, 11:46:52 PM »
Tiger rucks hard at work

Richmond ruck coach Ivan Maric is impressed by the discipline the Tigers' ruckmen have displayed in the lead up to the 2024 season.

Speaking on Richmond Media's Our Four Walls, Maric said the group had attacked the pre-season with vigour, while showing "humility and care for each other as well".

"Things like being the first in the Club, first out to the track, first in the gym and last one out," Maric said.

"Just doing all the little extra things really well, as well as preparing professionally.

"It's been good, it's been super competitive. But, every time we compete on the training track, we make sure we come together and get another each other and celebrate and give feedback to one another.

"I'm really proud of the guys, they've created that by themselves, it's really good.

"I'm looking forward to the times when they're going to get challenged (in 2024) and go through adversity and how they stand up as strong men on and off the field."

Maric also provided an update on the members of the Tigers' ruck department.

"Toby Nankervis' going good. We've been really cautious and sensible with him and eased him into training. He's back full training which is exciting, He's fit and ready to go."

"Sam Naismith's going really good, he's been able to get his body in really good shape. He's training hard and backing up session after session, so it's been exciting. He's a big, athletic guy and he's enthusiastic about his opportunity."

"I think he debuted against me, so he's been around for a while. He's got plenty of experience and he's been through a hell of a lot. So, he's really resilient and we're really excited that he's at the Richmond Football Club because he's going to add a lot, and he already has added a lot, to the team and the culture."

"Samson Ryan earned a lot of trust last year, it was great. I always believed he had that in him, and I believe he has so much more to show the whole football world. I'm really excited about his season coming up. He's put on a bit more bulk which is going to be good for him, and he's really working hard. He's such a professional when it comes to preparing for training and playing."

"Mate Colina is training really well. His running is something I've never seen before from a guy that big, or any ruckman really. He's working really hard on his craft, his marking and his kicking which still has plenty of room for growth, but he's going good... Being such a big guy, he'll be really good in the ruck, but his running power is just incredible, so it's going to be quite hard for opposition players to keep up with him.

"Oliver Hayes-Brown has worked really hard, just like Mate. We've got a good group of rucks with high standards, so they're really pushing each other along, and Ollie's done that. He's trimmed down, he's running a lot better, working on his craft, his marking and his kicking, spending a heap of time on that. His pre-season has gone really well."

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1488594/tiger-rucks-hard-at-work

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #215 on: February 19, 2024, 09:07:02 PM »
The Tigers played Melbourne in a scratch match on Sunday afternoon and Cornes’ “gentle” takeaway from the early look at both teams centres around the importance of Toby Nankervis to Richmond in 2024.

The skipper missed the match with foot soreness, but is considered likely to play in Opening Round.

“In nine seasons (Nankervis) has played 20 games just three times and 15 last year. Samson Ryan is a likely type, but he’s not ready to be their number one ruck just yet,” Cornes said.

“We saw that yesterday when Melbourne kicked the first five, Max Gawn dominated at the centre bounce and also went forward and tested him there.

“Ryan’s just not ready to ruck. I know they’ve got Sam Naismith, not sure he’s the option either. So the availability of Nankervis as captain and as a ruckman is really significant for the Tigers.”

Ryan, 23, has played 15 career games for Richmond – 14 of which came in 2023.

He averaged seven disposals, 12.2 hit-outs and 1.1 clearances per game.

Naismith was picked up out of the VFL, following a strong season at Port Melbourne. The 31-year-old struggled with injuries during his time at Sydney, managing just 30 games.

Source: SEN.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #216 on: February 20, 2024, 12:14:25 AM »
I think they will roll with Nank and Naismith for round 0 (I feel stupid even typing that). Once Lynch comes back (touch wood), it will be very interesting who they name as a 3 pronged fwd line with Lynch, Balta, Kosi and 2 rucks in Naismith and Nank seems too tall and immobile. Feel like either nank or Naismith will miss out and balta will give the ruck a chop out or balta will move back into defence.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #217 on: February 20, 2024, 05:02:39 PM »
I think they will roll with Nank and Naismith for Gold Coast.  Once Lynch comes back (touch wood), it will be very interesting who they name as a 3 pronged fwd line with Lynch, Balta, Kosi and 2 rucks in Naismith and Nank seems too tall and immobile. Feel like either nank or Naismith will miss out and balta will give the ruck a chop out or balta will move back into defence.

Fixed.  :cheers

It was mentioned by Teague on SEN  that Balta and Kosi will be pinch hitting in the ruck so once Lynch comes back into the team, Naismith will make way for him and that duo will give Nank a chop out.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #218 on: February 20, 2024, 11:49:38 PM »
Focusing on the wrong player WHEN TALKING BEST RUCK COMBO. Samson Ryan well well he won't be playing first ruck this year thats how far he still has to go and you have to wonder if its not a bridge too far.

I reckon the debate should be about the genuine first ruck contenders and who should get the gig in Naismith and Nankervis. It won't happen because the club supporters everyone is going to back in the club captain.
I think as a ruckman who can play on all types of ruckmen Naismith is a better fit.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #219 on: February 24, 2024, 02:42:13 PM »
'He’ll deserve it': Injury-plagued Tiger firms for season opener

After an exceptional first pre-season at Richmond, Sam Naismith is on track to complete an unlikely AFL return 1354 days after his most recent appearance

By Josh Gabelich
afl.com.au
24 February 2024

RICHMOND recruit Sam Naismith is in the frame to play his first AFL game since 2020 – and only third since 2017 – in the Tigers' Opening Round clash against Gold Coast, completing a remarkable turnaround for an injury-cruelled career that looked all but over two years ago.

The Tigers signed Naismith as a delisted free agent at the start of November –  after granting Ivan Soldo's trade wish to Port Adelaide – following a standout VFL campaign for Port Melbourne that breathed life back into his AFL career.

Naismith's time at the highest level looked over when the New South Welshmen was delisted by Sydney at the end of 2022 after playing 30 games across nine injury-ravaged seasons that included three knee reconstructions and more than a dozen other operations.

But after banking an exceptional maiden pre-season at Punt Road and impressing first-up against six-time All-Australian ruckman Max Gawn in Sunday's match simulation against Melbourne at Casey Fields, the 31-year-old has built a compelling case for an unlikely AFL return on March 9, 1354 days after his most recent appearance.

With Tigers skipper Toby Nankervis racing the clock to be fit in time for the trip to Queensland, the 31-year-old's call-up looks even more likely.

New Richmond coach Adem Yze has been thrilled by Naismith's pre-season to date and expects the former Swan to force the Tigers' match committee to make some difficult decisions in 2024.

"He had a great year at VFL level, so he deserved this opportunity. Getting him into the footy club, he knew at the start he was going to be a back-up, because we needed some support for 'Nank' just in case. But he has come in and trained the house down. Right now, he has thrown his hand up to be our first ruck in (Opening Round), which is awesome," Yze told AFL.com.au.

"There is the footy element, where he is a great player and a great guy to have around the club, great runner and powerful man, with really strong ruck craft. But his character is what stood out when I first met him and we spoke about getting him across.

"He has obviously been through a lot as a kid and with his family and then his knees. He has had all this adversity, but you wouldn't know; he is always asking about other people and making sure everyone else is OK. That type of character is exactly what we want at our footy club.

"I'll be really excited for him to make his debut for this footy club, because he will deserve it. We're not just going to give him a game – we've got Samson Ryan who is another good back-up to 'Nank' – but when he gets his chance he will deserve it. Sam will play again next week against Collingwood and who knows for the Gold Coast game?"

Nankervis didn't feature in Sunday's match simulation and won't face Collingwood in the AAMI Community Series match at Ikon Park next Tuesday night due to a lingering foot issue that has restricted his pre-season over the past month.

With 13 days between now and the first meeting between Damien Hardwick and the side he led to three premierships, Richmond is hopeful Nankervis will be available but will also need to factor in the five-day break between Opening Round and the Tigers' round one clash against Carlton.

Nankervis has proven to be one of the most shrewd recruits in Richmond's history, becoming a three-time premiership player and captain since moving from Sydney – where he was stuck in the queue behind Naismith – in exchange for pick No.46 in 2016.

After sharing the captaincy with veteran defender Dylan Grimes in 2022 and 2023, Nankervis was appointed sole skipper in December in one of Yze's first key moves, solidifying the ruckman's standing in the group following the retirements of club greats Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt.

Yze is open to playing two ruckmen in the same 23 this year, but with key defender Noah Balta being transformed into a key forward over the summer and All-Australian forward Tom Lynch on the cusp of returning, the first-year coach is wary of not picking a team that is too tall.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1078806/he-will-deserve-it-injury-plagued-richmond-tiger-sam-naismith-closing-in-on-remarkable-comeback

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #220 on: February 26, 2024, 08:00:25 PM »
Richmond skipper provides latest on playing chances for season opener

The veteran ruckman won’t feature in this week’s practice match against the reigning premiers.

Mitch Keating
zerohanger.com
February 26, 2024

Richmond captain Toby Nankervis is no certainty of lining up for the Tigers' Opening Round clash with Gold Coast as he continues to nurse a foot issue.

Nankervis won't feature in Tuesday's Charity Shield practice match against Collingwood on Tuesday and will instead take part in a separate training session that will help give the veteran ruckman a stronger indication of his playing chances for next week.

The 29-year-old is currently going from session to session in his rehabilitation to build his fitness levels and overcome the ailment - one that has now opened the door for new recruit and ex-Swan Sam Naismith to earn his debut in the yellow and black.

Naismith has played just two games at AFL level since the end of the 2017 season, enduring multiple knee reconstructions and a delisting at Sydney to fall out of the top flight before earning a lifeline over the off-season at Punt Road.

Viewed as the second-string ruckman for new coach Adem Yze, Naismith has been backed to take his chance and potentially hold it by the man he's likely to replace.

"He's had a great summer," Nankervis said on Monday.

"He's done most of the work so, we're in a great spot in that department. (If he plays) I'll be rapt for Sam, he's a great person and he's had some hardship, but he's been playing some great footy as well.

"I wasn't really surprised at all (by Naismith's resilience) to be honest because I know what type of person he is. He's very determined, very competitive and he wants to play AFL footy. That's that's the reality of it, he's not here to play VFL footy so he's doing whatever he can."

The Tigers are yet to settle on whether they'll implement a one or two-ruck system this year after chopping and changing with the departed Ivan Soldo in 2023, with emerging ruck-forward Samson Ryan also in the selection mix.

With Nankervis an incumbent in his first season as a standalone skipper, the trio of ruck options is creating healthy competition under Yze ahead of the season's start.

Speaking on Ryan, Nankervis said the 23-year-old has put his best foot forward over the summer to keep himself in the mix.

"He's taken massive leaps forward this pre-season," the Richmond captain said.

"He's a key position player, so it does take time to get your body big enough to play ruck and key forward positions.

"I feel like he's in that space now where he's moving really well. He's big and strong. So I look forward to seeing what he can do as well."

https://www.zerohanger.com/richmond-skipper-provides-latest-on-playing-chances-for-season-opener-147818

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #221 on: February 29, 2024, 09:28:49 PM »
Lol team mates talking up team mates. Ryan still being pushed around like a rookie by everyone.
KPF geez i must be missing something. From what ive seen this year so far on the back of what we saw last year i have grave fears of Ryan making it. He is nowhere near close to playing first ruck or KPF  for us.
We talk about slow burns then all i can say is someone needs to shorten the fuse.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #222 on: March 01, 2024, 12:49:00 AM »
Lol team mates talking up team mates. Ryan still being pushed around like a rookie by everyone.
KPF geez i must be missing something. From what ive seen this year so far on the back of what we saw last year i have grave fears of Ryan making it. He is nowhere near close to playing first ruck or KPF  for us.
We talk about slow burns then all i can say is someone needs to shorten the fuse.

Surely even you understand the big fellas take longer than midfielders to develop

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #223 on: March 02, 2024, 10:28:25 PM »

Surely even you understand the big fellas take longer than midfielders to develop

Surely even you understand there is a thing called linear improvement but clearly not!!!!!.
Don't talk to me about patience with big blokes im more patient than most. He has made no improvement in the areas that will enable him to succeed we are not talking about a junior here he is already 23 and he still cannot hold his ground against much smaller opponents.
If asking for linear improvement in areas that just have to improve is too much for you to grasp  then indeed  i suggest you continue to come up with the  big blokes take time line.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #224 on: March 03, 2024, 09:23:59 PM »
And the New season has even started.