Author Topic: Grimes and Nank named co-captains [updated]  (Read 25554 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Martin ‘absolutely’ capable of leading Tigers: Gale (Age)
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2021, 05:38:44 AM »
Martin ‘absolutely’ capable of leading Tigers: Gale

Jon Pierik
The Age
November 9, 2021

Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale has given a glowing endorsement of Dustin Martin as a leader, declaring he could “absolutely” be the next Tigers captain.

Gale said there was no hurry to settle on a replacement for Trent Cotchin, who has stepped down, having led in a club-record 188 matches, including three premierships in the past four years.

The Tigers say they have several strong candidates but Martin is by far the most high profile, should the Brownlow medallist want the role.

Gale said Martin, 30, was a “terrific leader” who was meticulous in his preparation.

“When Dustin came to the club, he had a few rough edges but a lot of 18, 19-year-olds do. With growth and maturity and responsibility, those edges are smoothed out,” Gale said.

“Dustin is an uber-professional. His preparation to get the best out of himself is inspiring, to be honest. He is a terrific leader and he has got a strong sense of who he is and really cares about his teammates and his club.

“They are all really strong leadership attributes and that’s something he really wanted to develop. I think, absolutely, he is more than capable to fill that role.”

As a three-time Norm Smith medallist, Martin’s on-field skills are not in question, nor his football nous, but the question facing the Tigers and Martin is whether he would want to be the frontman and regularly deal with sponsors and the media – an increasingly important part of the job.

Martin has traditionally been loath to conduct interviews but, conversely, this appears to have increased his advertising appeal under the guidance of celebrity and football manager Ralph Carr.

Tigers teammate Jack Riewoldt has said Martin would be a good captain “with the right team around him”.

Midfielder Jack Graham, former Gold Coast skipper Tom Lynch, Dylan Grimes, Jayden Short and Nick Vlastuin are also among those club insiders believe could also do the top job.

“We aren’t in a hurry. We have got a process ... in place and we will work through that. I think the depth gives us the ability to make a really strong decision,” Gale said.

St Kilda great Nick Riewoldt has been a vocal advocate of Martin being handed the captaincy, declaring how impressed he had been with Martin at quarter-time and three-quarter-time in a practice match last year when he had been assertive, demanding, supportive and articulate when addressing teammates.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/martin-absolutely-capable-of-leading-tigers-gale-20211108-p59720.html

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Who will be our next captain after Cotch?
« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2021, 10:19:56 AM »
Martin can captain if Grimes and Graham take the VC role and those two do most of the mid week media.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2021, 01:25:51 PM »
Martin can captain if Grimes and Graham take the VC role and those two do most of the mid week media.

I know I am in the minority but I can't agree with this suggestion

It is a great honour to captain your Club.

As Captain I just don't believe you can pick and chose which parts you are happy to do and which bits you want to palm off because you don't like doing certain things.

Appreciate it is harsh view and I expect to cop the whacks but you either do the role in its entirety or you don't.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2021, 10:31:51 PM »

I know I am in the minority but I can't agree with this suggestion

It is a great honour to captain your Club.

As Captain I just don't believe you can pick and chose which parts you are happy to do and which bits you want to palm off because you don't like doing certain things.

Appreciate it is harsh view and I expect to cop the whacks but you either do the role in its entirety or you don't.

In my opinion your correct.

For me Martin can do the job, he will play until at least 36, has a very strong constitution, so that is a solid stint as captain.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2021, 03:45:13 PM »
Another question pertaining to the Tigers is who will replace Trent Cotchin as captain?

There are a number of names being floated, with superstar Dustin Martin one of those.

Should Martin be the captain of Richmond if he wants the job?

“No, I think he probably relishes being senior, but not the captain,” said Brereton.

“There are probably some better candidates who would be willing to get out there every day to promote the club.”

Source: SEN

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2021, 08:13:26 PM »
I’ve been thinking about this one.
I reckon he can do it, all of it.
He’s not amazing in the media but it’s good enough.

On football alone, he’s head and shoulders above anyone in football acts.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2021, 08:47:58 PM »

It's not just the media HRT but the commitments to Club sponsors

Currently everything Dusty does outside the footy field (which includes post match media) is meticulously managed by Ralph. Now that's not meant to be a criticism of Ralph but more just to point out it managed that way for Dusty's benefit. Having to deal with club sponsors multiple times a year isn't something Ralph can manage.

I'm just not sold that Dusty will want to do that. I've said before you take on the role of Captain you take on everything it entails not the bits that suit

I'd rather him concentrate on playing and helping us win games than have him as Captain

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2021, 09:01:08 PM »
Give the captaincy to Jack Reiwoldt!  Its his last year so its a just reward for his great service, he has the football smarts to be a playing coach who can make snap on-field moves, he's not afraid to go toe to toe with umpires, he can handle the media & the players already look up to him as a leader. 
As for the sponsors ... well ... who cares!

This is our chance to reward a great player! 
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2021, 09:12:53 PM »
Trent Cotchin has added weight to a tantalising prospect of Dustin Martin becoming Richmond's next captain. It comes after a recent endorsement from Tigers boss Brendon Gale.

Watch: https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1461240302534946820

@TomBrowne7 #7AFL #7NEWS

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2021, 09:41:37 PM »
Trent Cotchin has added weight to a tantalising prospect of Dustin Martin becoming Richmond's next captain. It comes after a recent endorsement from Tigers boss Brendon Gale.

Watch: https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1461240302534946820

@TomBrowne7 #7AFL #7NEWS

:lol :lol

Cotch named half a dozen players, including Dusty and from that he's added weight?

I was more interested in the fleeting glimpse of the training top with the new NIB and Latitude logos on it  :rollin

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #115 on: November 30, 2021, 07:10:05 PM »
Nothing earth shattering but Mitch Cleary on 7news tonight reckons the choice for our next captain is out of Dusty, Grimes, Riewoldt, Vlastuin and Graham.

Whether it's an experienced or younger candidate will be down to the players. They will pick the best person for the job.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2021, 02:48:25 PM »
Jack Graham said the players' vote on the next captain won't occur until the end of January.

Graham was asked by Ch 10 about him being the next captain and he replied it would be a great honour if he was chosen. He also put Grimes and Nank's names up as great leaders.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2021, 07:31:01 PM »

It's not just the media HRT but the commitments to Club sponsors

Currently everything Dusty does outside the footy field (which includes post match media) is meticulously managed by Ralph. Now that's not meant to be a criticism of Ralph but more just to point out it managed that way for Dusty's benefit. Having to deal with club sponsors multiple times a year isn't something Ralph can manage.

I'm just not sold that Dusty will want to do that. I've said before you take on the role of Captain you take on everything it entails not the bits that suit

I'd rather him concentrate on playing and helping us win games than have him as Captain

I’m not saying he wants to do it but I reckon he can. My mate’s company sponsors him and he did the sponsor interview and reckoned Dusty handled himself quite well
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2021, 05:14:52 PM »
Richmond young gun backed by fans to take Tigers captaincy

Mitch Keating
zerohanger.com
December 5, 2021

Footy fans have backed Richmond midfielder Jack Graham to succeed Trent Cotchin as captain of Punt Road.

Cotchin relinquished his duties as the Tigers' skipper after serving since 2012 - the longest leadership span in the club's history.

The veteran onballer's stint was as decorated as any of this era, winning three flags to snap Richmond's premiership drought and lead his club into a dynasty under coach Damien Hardwick.

Cotchin's decision to hand over the proverbial captain's armband has ignited debate between Tigers fans as to who should look to fill the large shoes left by their fearless leader.

Having put the question to you, our fans, across the course of the past week, Graham has landed favouritism to take over as captain, edging out the likes of superstar midfielder Dustin Martin and defender Dylan Grimes.

With over 2100 votes cast, Graham claimed 27% of the count to lead the rest of his teammates, with Martin falling 80 votes and 2% short of his fellow midfielder.

Defensive duo Nick Vlastuin (21%) and Grimes (17%) came next in the polls, with both seen as formidable options to take over the reins from Cotchin.

With forward duo Tom Lynch and Jack Riewoldt also seen as potential options to take on the captaincy duties, with the former having previously led Gold Coast during his time in Queensland, the "other" option landed 7% of the voting.

Lastly, 2020 best and fairest winner Jayden Short collected 4% of the votes to round out the six options.

Cotchin was appointed as Richmond skipper at the end of his fifth season with the Tigers, with Graham currently at the same point in his career, however his potential predecessor amassed a stunning record of personal accolades prior to the 2013 season.

A Brownlow Medal-winning campaign (which was awarded after Bomber Jobe Watson was stripped of the honour), an AFLCA Champion Player of the Year Award, an All-Australian blazer and two Jack Dyer Medals had been claimed prior to Cotchin's maiden match as skipper, with Graham's own list of honours currently paling in comparison.

The 23-year-old has shown plenty of promise however, claiming second place in Richmond's best and fairest standings this year and having a key role in two of the Tigers' recent grand final victories.

Whether the Tigers look toward the South Australian as their next captain remains to be seen, but a position in Hardwick's leadership group would not be out of place for the hard-nosed onballer.

https://www.zerohanger.com/richmond-young-gun-backed-by-fans-to-take-tigers-captaincy-95345/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2021, 02:09:41 PM »
Who will be the next Tiger King? Cotchin tight-lipped over successor

Sarah Black
afl.com.au
6 December 2021

Outgoing Richmond skipper Trent Cotchin was keeping his cards close to his chest around his possible replacement, as the senior Tigers returned to pre-season training on Monday.

"I never saw it as a burden, it was more a responsibility. I'm really, really excited for what it looks like for me personally, but also what it looks like for the footy club," Cotchin said.

"There's clearly going to be someone else who takes over that role, or maybe a few people, I'm not sure what path we'll take, but really excited. They'll put their own spin on things, they'll have amazing support within the playing group and across the whole football club."

Superstar Tiger Dustin Martin is one of a number of players – including Dylan Grimes, Jack Graham and Nick Vlastuin – who could be in the running for the role.

"I think he's one of many. He's got some amazing attributes, and he's also got some weaknesses like all of us as human beings. Time will tell who it is and the direction the club takes," Cotchin said.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/690874/who-will-be-the-next-tiger-king-trent-cotchin-tight-lipped-over-successor