Author Topic: Grimes and Nank named co-captains [updated]  (Read 25528 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Who will be our next captain after Cotch?
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2021, 03:51:32 PM »
Not saying he will get the captaincy, but a dark horse for the gig who hasn't been mentioned is Broad. Amongst those watching preseason training it was noted he was leading the way being vocal in setting training standards for the group and encouraging others.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2021, 03:54:40 PM »
doubt it after his transgression

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2021, 04:13:51 PM »
doubt it after his transgression
That was over 4 years ago. A fair while ago.

Ricky Ponting got involved in a fight early days but was still able to be named Australia captain years later.

Dusty is in the running to be the next captain yet no one now cares his early days transgression (Suspended for two weeks by the Club for sleeping in the previous morning and failing to attend a training session) because he's now grown up and matured as a person and as a leader.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2021, 06:15:16 PM »
My pick would be Dustin Martin with Nick Vlastuin and Jack Graham as vice captains. I would also be encouraging Riewoldt, Grimes and Cotchin to continue their on field and in general leadership roles.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2021, 03:13:40 PM »
“HE’S READY TO GO”: CORNES’ CHOICE TO CAPTAIN RICHMOND

By Alex Zaia
SEN
7 December 2021

Kane Cornes believes Brownlow Medallist and three-time Norm Smith Medallist Dustin Martin is ready to captain the Tigers after leading by example for several years.

CEO Brendon Gale has endorsed Martin’s leadership credentials, saying the 30-year-old is “absolutely” capable of replacing Cotchin as skipper.

SEN Breakfast co-host Sam Edmund isn’t sure whether Martin would feel comfortable with the extra media responsibilities and public appearances that comes with being captain, but Cornes disagrees.

Stay up to date with all the latest news from SEN. Sign up HERE.

“The more I think about it, I think Richmond are positioning Dustin Martin to be their next captain,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“He comes home from the airport and there’s cameras waiting for him. What extra scrutiny will be on Dustin Martin just because he’s got captain next to his name?

“I think he can do it in his own way, with those players around him. (Nick) Vlastuin, (Jack) Graham, (Dylan) Grimes, (Jack) Riewoldt, (Tom) Lynch – who’s been a captain in his own right. They’re there to do that. (Trent) Cotchin’s still there to do the heavy lifting.

“There’s something in me that says he’s done it all, Dustin Martin, imagine the legacy if he went on to be a premiership captain? It’s the only thing left for me.

“That’s the way I would go. I think he’s ready to go.”

Grimes would be Edmund’s choice to captain Richmond, but Cornes feels the defender doesn’t have the “aura” that someone like a Martin has.

“I wouldn’t be up in arms about that. He (Grimes) impresses me,” the Port Adelaide champion said.

“He did one of the best interviews I’ve ever heard, it was post last year’s Grand Final, we had him on the Sunday Footy Show. He’s quite vulnerable and quite open.

“He doesn’t look like a captain to me though. There’s something in me and it’s this gut feel about the aura of the best captains. Does Dylan Grimes have that? He doesn’t have it for me.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/12/06/hes-ready-to-go-cornes-choice-to-captain-richmond/

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2021, 10:54:42 PM »
Corndog should start a column on retrospective weather predictions.

So he can just pee out some obvious dribble every day.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2022, 05:32:15 PM »
Floss when asked about the next captain on the RFC website said he doesn't know and nothing has been discussed yet internally. He added there will never be another Cotch so the next captain "will be different but perfect at the same time". Floss listed Lynch, Lambert (his favoured choice), Short, Graham, Riewoldt & Grimes as the options to be the next captain. He didn't mention himself or if he wanted to be captain.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2022, 07:36:39 PM »
‘Lambert would be my favourite’ says Vlastuin as Tigers mull captaincy candidates

By Jon Pierik
The Age
January 18, 2022 — 4.01pm

Triple premiership-winning Richmond star Nick Vlastuin says the Tigers are yet to formulate how they will settle on a new captain, but he has nominated who he thinks should replace Trent Cotchin in the role.

The Tigers have several options to consider, with champion Dustin Martin; Tom Lynch, a former co-captain at the Gold Coast; Jack Graham; Jack Riewoldt; Jayden Short; Dylan Grimes; and Vlastuin, himself, in the mix.

Cotchin opted to cede the top role late last year but Vlastuin said the Tigers, having resumed pre-season training but with limited numbers because of health and safety protocols, were yet to be told how the new leader will be selected.

However, the tough defender said the hard-running Kane Lambert, a triple premiership teammate, is his tip to replace Cotchin.

“Cotch has had it for the last eight years. I am not sure how they are going to choose it, or what is going to happen, but there are plenty of options,” Vlastuin told the Richmond website.

“Lynchy has been really good, Kane Lambert would be my favourite, Shorty, Fridge (Jack Graham), Riewoldt, Grimesy, there are a lot of options, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

“It’s hard to say what we want. Cotch is one sort of leader, we are probably never going to have another Cotchin, so the next captain will probably be completely different but completely perfect at the same time.”

Cotchin led the Tigers in a club record 188 matches but is keen to finish his career free of the added responsibility.

Club chief executive Brendon Gale in November gave a glowing endorsement of Martin as a leader, declaring he could “absolutely” be the next Tigers’ captain.

As a Brownlow medallist and three-time Norm Smith medallist, Martin’s status as one of the greats of the game cannot be questioned. As Gale said, Martin is “meticulous” in his preparation, but a major point of debate will be whether he can handle being a club spokesman and deal with increased media and sponsorship demands - a key part of the role.

The robust Graham, 23, is a former South Australian under-18 captain and is seen as a leader at some point in his career at Punt Road. However, there is a view that it would be best to allow him to focus more on his own game over the next two or three years. The tough onballer finished second in the best-and-fairest count last season and said through the campaign that he had leadership qualities.

“I haven’t thought too much about it, I do like to think I’ve got some leadership qualities,” Graham said.

“At the moment at Richmond there’s so much leadership floating around with Cotch (Trent Cotchin), Shane Edwards, (Jack) Riewoldt, Grimesy (Dylan Grimes), (Kane) Lambert … the list goes on. I’m just happy to sit back and just learn off these guys.”

Lynch, 29, held the top role alongside Steven May for two seasons when they were at the Suns and would now be a more experienced leader. As a key forward, he is central to the Tigers’ hopes of extending their premiership era.

Grimes, 30, is a highly respected figure and a great role model. He claimed his maiden Jack Dyer medal last season and remains one of the league’s best defenders.

Riewoldt, 33, is in the twilight of his career but could do the role for a season or two, particularly if it’s felt Graham would be ready for the role come 2023.

Short, 25, is another in the age bracket who could take on the role for the next four or five years if it’s felt he is the best man for the job.

Vlastuin, a former Vic Metro captain, will turn 28 in April and is also seen as a fine potential leader with a grounded look upon life, as evidenced when he said he had spent time “on the tools” during the pre-season break.

“Who knows? A lot of people lead by different ways, voice, on the field, off the field, so I am not sure what we are going to look for or what the boys are going to pick, or how we are going to pick it. But I am sure they are going to be great in their own way,” Vlastuin said.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/lambert-would-be-my-favourite-says-vlastuin-as-tigers-mull-captaincy-candidates-20220118-p59p4f.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2022, 03:41:38 PM »
And another thing…

With St Kilda confirming Jack Steele as captain this week, the Tigers are one club who will make a leadership announcement in the coming weeks after Trent Cotchin stepped down last year. Reigning best and fairest winner Dylan Grimes is considered one of the leading contenders, along with Jack Graham, Dustin Martin, Nick Vlastuin and Kane Lambert.

Source: AFL website

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2022, 03:54:16 PM »
I was told a couple of weeks back that our new captain will be announced this week possibly as early as Monday (Jan 31).

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2022, 01:16:37 PM »
The Tigers are yet to announce a new captain after Trent Cotchin stepped down as leader.

Jack Riewoldt said he would obviously do the job if asked but said the club was spoilt for choice and had plenty of options.

“The one thing I will say with the captaincy is when that person does get announced they’ll have a lot of really strong lieutenants around them,” he said.

“If the club wanted me to do it I’ll just step up and do it. I’ve captained the football club when Trent’s been injured, but there’s a whole host of factors you have to take into account as well. There’s some older players like myself and Shane [Edwards] coming towards the end of their careers.

“Do they want to go for a short-term captaincy? Or do you want to go for someone else who maybe has three or four five years capacity to captain the football club?

“It’s a great strength and a great position to be in that we have got sort of three or four options in terms of the demographic that we want to select from, so we’re very fortunate to be in that position.”

Source: The Age

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2022, 05:03:31 PM »
FORMER CROW’S CHOICE TO CAPTAIN RICHMOND IN 2022

By Alex Zaia
SEN
3 February 2022

It’s not yet known who will captain Richmond in 2022.

With long-serving skipper Trent Cotchin stepping down from the role last September, the Tigers are looking for a new captain to lead the club moving forward.

Dustin Martin, Jack Riewoldt, Tom Lynch, Jack Graham and Nick Vlastuin are among the candidates who have been touted to potentially assume the coveted position.

Kane Cornes believes Tigers superstar Martin is ready to take on the captaincy after winning a swag of individual awards plus three premierships across a decorated 12-year career.

Former Adelaide forward Josh Jenkins says triple-premiership defender Dylan Grimes would be his choice to captain Richmond this season.

“Grimes would be my selection,” Jenkins told SEN Breakfast.

“But again, context. We’re not inside the club, so it’s very hard to make a call. But Grimes would be my call.

“There’s probably two or three in that group who we simply don’t know about, who are vocal and do the right things inside the four walls and we don’t hear from them on the outside.”

Grimes is one of the competition’s best and most reliable defenders, earning All-Australian selection in 2019 and taking out Richmond’s best and fairest in 2021.

The 30-year-old has played 192 games since debuting for the Tigers in 2010.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/02/02/former-crows-choice-to-captain-richmond-in-2022/

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2022, 12:02:23 AM »
Lambert may be the players choice, hard working team player.
Grimesy similar to Kane ,hard working team player
Any advice from Corney is not always in the best interest of Richmond
Dusty is a superstar who does not enjoy public speaking , his leadership comes from example . To me he is a great fit for VC as it shouldn’t distract him from his focus
A special mention for Graham, who should be our Captain in the future

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2022, 05:02:32 AM »
Who will captain the side in 2022?

Ben Lawless
zerohanger.com
4 February 2022

Since Trent Cotchin stepped down from captain at the end of the 2021 season, speculation surrounding his replacement has filled the media.

The most high-profile replacement discussed is three-time Norm Smith Medallist Dustin Martin. One of the most vocal about his candidacy has been SEN host Kane Cornes. While speaking on his breakfast program, he said that Martin is ‘ready to go’, and that becoming a premiership captain is the ‘only thing left' in his career.

Richmond boss Brendan Gale has also shown his support towards selecting Martin for the role. When discussing the Tigers’ succession plan, he referred to Martin as an ‘uber-professional’. When asked about the Tiger's next captain, he highlighted all the characteristics that the club will be looking for from their next skipper.

‘His [Dustin Martin] preparation to get the best out of himself is inspiring, to be honest. He is a terrific leader and he has got a strong sense of who he is and really cares about his teammates and his club.’

‘They are all really strong leadership attributes and that’s something he really wanted to develop. I think, absolutely, he is more than capable to fill that role.’

Martin has taken the league by storm since his breakout 2017 season. Since then, he has been the most damaging player in the competition. His on-field talent is unquestionable, but some criticise his ability to be the vocal leader of the team.Seen as a quieter leader, he has strayed away from the media in the past.

He would still be an excellent choice for the position and would have the full support of his team and the club. The only real question is his desire for the position.

Dylan Grimes has also been mentioned in regard to the vacant position. Former Adelaide Crow Josh Jenkins told SEN Breakfast that he believes that Grimes is the ideal replacement.

‘Grimes would be my selection,’ Jenkins said on breakfast radio.

‘But again, context. We’re not inside the club, so it’s very hard to make a call. But Grimes would be my call.’

Grimes has been a steady presence down back, being a part of their strangling defence that leads to three premierships in four years. Despite turning 30 years old, he is continuing to impress as a defender, as demonstrated by his 2021 club Best and Fairest award. He has been an on-field leader for the Richmond defence, and would step into the role seamlessly if chosen.

Another candidate is midfielder Jack Graham. Earlier in December, Zero Hanger completed a poll asking football fans their opinion. In a close race, Graham was selected with over a quarter of the votes. Throughout the duration of the poll, over 2100 votes were cast.

Coming off a career year, he finished second in the club's Best and Fairest. He also played a crucial role in Richmond’s previous two premiership runs. The benefit of selecting Graham is also his age, being over half a decade younger than the other candidates. While having the least experience, he would develop into the role with the support of Martin, Grimes, Cotchin and Riewoldt.

Some other candidates have been mentioned throughout the selection process. Nick Vlastuin and Jayden Short are other players who have been discussed but haven’t seemed to get the same level of attention as the other three.

While the Tigers have plenty of suitable candidates, one thing is seemingly certain. They will continue on with the sole captain model in 2022. Club legend Jack Riewoldt hinted to fans that the Tigers will stick with their previous regimes with only a single skipper named.

Currently, the two most likely candidates are Martin or Grimes, both of whom would be excellent choices for the club as they try to push back towards the finals in 2022.

https://www.zerohanger.com/captain-less-and-winless-after-round-one-five-burning-questions-richmond-tigers-97294/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2022, 05:15:10 AM »
According to Mitch Cleary on 7news last night:

- Young contenders in Graham and Vlastuin.
- Tom Lynch is a "smokey".
- Or a short term call on Grimes, Dusty, Edwards or Jack.

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1489144324465983495