Author Topic: Grimes and Nank named co-captains [updated]  (Read 25537 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Grimes and Nank named co-captains [updated]
« Reply #165 on: February 15, 2022, 03:09:48 PM »
THE CAPTAINCY ADVICE HARDWICK GAVE GRIMES, THE “NUMBER ONE PRIORITY” FOR NEW CO-CAPTAIN

By Seb Mottram
SEN
15 Feb 2022

New Richmond co-captain Dylan Grimes has revealed the advice Damien Hardwick gave him when taking on the leadership.

Grimes and Toby Nankervis were on Monday confirmed as the Tigers’ first ever co-captains, replacing the outgoing Trent Cotchin, a triple-premiership leader.

Cotchin was renowned for changing the culture in the Tigers with his empathetic captaincy style that was a driving force behind the club’s 2017 drought-breaking premiership.

His successor paid tribute to Cotchin, stating he’d love to continue on his former’s legacy.

However, Grimes also suggested Hardwick gave him contrary advice to back himself in.

“What ‘Nank’ (Nankervis) and I are really going to bring is ourselves,” Grimes told Sportsday.

“We’ve both come from different backgrounds, 'Nank' originally at Sydney and me being at Richmond my whole career has meant we’ve kind of learned to be ourselves and that was the advice that 'Dimma' (Hardwick) gave us.

“(He said) absolutely embrace this challenge and do it your way, don’t try and be Trent or anyone else.

“I’m not entirely sure what is going to be the first cab off the rank for us personally, but all I know is we’re going to attack it with both hands and really go our best at it.”

Grimes has played 192 games for the Yellow and Black since being drafted in 2009, playing a key role in the club’s recent success.

He debuted under Chris Newman, who led the club until Cotchin took over in 2012, and has seen the Tigers at both the best and worst of times.

The 30-year-old says he’s been able to absorb a range of skills in his time at Tigerland and is clear on what his biggest job is at the club.

“I think my personal role, how I see it at the moment is to support the coach's message as best as I can and bring the voice of the playing group back to him,” Grimes continued.

“We’re so blessed with the coaches we have, that's evident to me that my number one role really is to provide challenge and support at the right time, to players and coaches.

“I think leadership has changed a lot for us, really over Trent’s tenure, I must admit before that it was what you imagine old school footy captains to be like, driving standards, that kind of autocratic style and then you’ve got guys like Trent, who were about vulnerability and acceptance and empathy and things like that, which were words that were rarely mentioned around a footy club.

“I think there’s definitely a range of skills at different times, I’m just going to try and bring my best to each moment and see how things pan out.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/02/14/the-captaincy-advice-hardwick-gave-grimes-the-number-one-priority-for-new-co/
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 04:13:36 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Why Richmond’s captaincy choice wasn’t so ‘left-field’ (zerohanger)
« Reply #166 on: February 16, 2022, 06:59:19 AM »
Why Richmond’s captaincy choice wasn’t so ‘left-field’

By Anthony Talliopoulos
zerohanger.com
February 15, 2022

Following the appointment of Dylan Grimes and Toby Nankervis as co-captains of the Richmond Football Club, there has been much speculation about whether or not the Tigers have made the right choice.

Such a move raised eyebrows of the AFL landscape for two reasons. Not only did Richmond announce two co-captains - a club first - but they also appointed Toby Nankervis, a seemingly media-shy, old-school ruckman.

Speaking at Punt Road just 11 days before the announcement, three-time Coleman medallist Jack Riewoldt said that "It's going to be exciting for one player to step into those shoes of the captain of the Richmond Football Club," leading footy fans to believe that Richmond would pick one sole skipper.

However, as Damien Hardwick said at his press conference: "It is fair to say we entered this decision expecting to end up with one captain, but it became clear to us after an exhaustive process that we had two fine leaders ready to represent and lead our football club."

There were a plethora of suitable candidates for the Tigers to choose from, comprising of Brownlow medallist Dustin Martin, All-Australians Jack Riewoldt and Shane Edwards, young bull Jack Graham, Nick Vlastuin and ex-Gold Coast co-captain Tom Lynch.

Whilst Dylan Grimes was always seen as a potential suitor for the role, Nankervis seemed an unusual choice to the majority of football fans.

Strangely, even Nankervis himself claimed that the appointment came as somewhat of a surprise.

Reassuring fans, he went on to declare that "there's no reason for me not to think I can do the job and I'm really excited to attack it and just give it everything I've got."

Here is why we think that this decision isn't as left-of-field as it perhaps initially seemed to be.

Nankervis was strongly backed by those at the club

According to all reports, Nankervis was strongly backed by the playing and coaching groups to take over as co-captain.

The process of announcing the two captains was a long, tedious quest that began ever since Trent Cotchin stepped down as captain at the end of the 2021 season.

As Grimes said in his first press conference as co-captain: "It's been a little bit slow but in some ways, it's really filled us with confidence that the decision that was made was the right call."

Whilst we as fans don't know what is happening inside the four walls of the club, it seems as though the playing group value Nankervis' company and personality.

Adding to this support, three-time premiership coach Damian Hardwick lauded the "tough, uncompromising, and team orientated" nature the pair bring.

'Nank' complements Dylan Grimes perfectly

Ever since Richmond's culture shift in 2017, the Tigers have always spoken publically about the need to be vulnerable. Engendering this to a great degree has been Grimes, who has always bravely and honestly told of his vulnerability. Grimes has always appeared to be extremely friendly towards both the playing group and the media.

Meanwhile, Nankervis has always been a very media-shy ruckman. The most infamous example of this was when Nankervis refused to talk to Brian Taylor on a Friday night segment of "Roaming Brian".

Nankervis appears to have a certain edge and aggression about him which accompanies Grimes' game style very well. He is a ruthless player and has the personality to match, something which matches up really well with his star defender.

Not only do their personalities go hand in hand with each other, but also, their positions on the field will provide leadership on all fronts.

Since Alex Rance's shock retirement ahead of the 2019 season, Grimes has not only taken over as the last man standing for Richmond's defence but has also taken on a more defined leadership role in defence.

Whilst he was always going to continue with this role in 2022, it would have been difficult for him to be an on-field leader with those up the ground.

This makes Nankervis perfect as a leader up the ground since he would be able to support those in the midfield and forward line. He can also learn right from Cotchin - one of the most successful captains of all time - at centre bounces and in between goals.

New skippers embody what it means to be a Richmond player

On Monday, Damien Hardwick told the media his definition of what it means to be a Richmond player: "tough, uncompromising and team-oriented".

Both Grimes and Nakervis match the criteria. Add to this their ability to play well in the big moments and their amazing level of consistency and you have two really good leaders of the club.

Exemplifying this, Grimes was able to completely shut out livewire forward threats across his decorated career of finals football.

Meanwhile, Nankervis put together a massive fourth quarter in Richmond's preliminary final against the Power in 2020. In this game, the big ruckman amassed four massive intercept marks in the wet to get the Tigers over the line in a scrappy affair.

Both players know what it takes to get it done having been a part of three premierships each.

Both co-captains have admitted that whilst they are quite "daunt(ed)", they are both "super excited and incredibly humbled by that decision".

https://www.zerohanger.com/why-richmonds-captaincy-choice-wasnt-so-left-field-97731/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #167 on: February 17, 2022, 04:11:41 PM »
RIEWOLDT GIVES NEW TIGERS CO-CAPTAIN A GLOWING ENDORSEMENT

By Alex Zaia
SEN
17 Feb 2022

Toby Nankervis’ appointment as Richmond co-captain came as no surprise to Jack Riewoldt.

Nankervis and Dylan Grimes will lead the Tigers in 2022, replacing the club’s longest-serving skipper, Trent Cotchin, in the role.

Riewoldt, who was a captaincy candidate before Monday’s announcement, says Nankervis’ “ferocious attitude” will hold the first-time captain in good stead.

“It probably sums up AFL football in general,” the veteran Tiger told SEN’s The Maccas Run.

“A lot of people judge people and players and clubs solely on what they see on the weekend or what they read on social media or what they read in the papers.

“There’s so much that goes on inside the four walls of an organisation like an AFL club, the nitty gritty which you never get to see unless you’re lucky enough to be a part of the organisation.

“What Toby brings is a ferocious attitude on-field and in terms of off-field he’s an extremely caring young man, well balanced, very thoughtful, and he’s had to do it the hard way a little bit in terms of plying his trade in Sydney, being an emergency for a Grand Final, then being traded and coming to Richmond at the start of 2017 where there was a lot of uncertainty.

“A lot of our guys attach themselves to Toby as a person and what he symbolises.”

Riewoldt is looking forward to seeing the triple-premiership ruckman assert his physical dominance when Richmond meet Carlton in Round 1.

“I think it’s a little bit nostalgic, the fact that the guy that gets to compete in the first contest of every game is now one of the captains of our football club,” Riewoldt said.

“That’s pretty important I reckon, to have a big ferocious beast … I just can’t wait to see Toby lead the group out for the first time on the AFL calendar against Carlton.

“He will get that first opportunity to set the scene for the group.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/02/16/riewoldt-gives-new-tigers-co-captain-a-glowing-endorsement/

------------------

‘A wealth of experience’

Riewoldt was also full of praise for how the club had settled on Dylan Grimes and Toby Nankervis as co-captains, replacing Cotchin, who had opted to step aside after nine seasons in charge.

“I don’t know if it will ever come out on how it went through, it was just run really well. The group went through a lot of things in terms of what we wanted from our leader, identifying characteristics, and that was a really tricky thing to do because we have come from arguably one of the greatest captains of Richmond’s history,” Riewoldt said.

“We couldn’t fall into the trap of just trying to replicate Trent, because you can’t do it. It’s impossible to do.

“I think there were a whole host of things [to consider] and, to be honest, they are fantastically covered by the two guys who have assumed the role now.

“We are very lucky that we have two fantastic captains but what sits behind them is a wealth of experience. That’s probably myself, Shane, Trent, obviously, and now there is exuberance of leaders coming through. It may have been a bit early for their time to be captain, but they sit right under them [Grimes and Nankervis].”

Source: The Age

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #168 on: March 10, 2022, 04:57:00 PM »

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #169 on: April 10, 2022, 02:39:15 PM »
2-0 when nank solo captains. 0-2 when grimesy and nank co-captain  :lol

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #170 on: April 10, 2022, 02:59:59 PM »
1-2 when Grimes plays, 2-0 when Miller plays.

The decision is clear
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #171 on: April 10, 2022, 04:28:21 PM »
2-1 when Dusty misses
0-1 when Dusty plays

Just pointing out it’s a silly game

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #172 on: April 10, 2022, 04:37:38 PM »
It wasn’t a serious post, just a bit of fun. Pretty sure AT’s was the same.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #173 on: April 10, 2022, 09:48:59 PM »
It wasn’t a serious post, just a bit of fun. Pretty sure AT’s was the same.
  :thumbsup
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #174 on: April 11, 2022, 12:56:47 PM »

The decision is clear

I didn't go to the Carlton or St Kilda games, but went to GWS and WB, so I'm beginning to think I am the difference.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #175 on: April 11, 2022, 01:06:44 PM »

The decision is clear

I didn't go to the Carlton or St Kilda games, but went to GWS and WB, so I'm beginning to think I am the difference.

Please go to the Anzac Eve game - thanks

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #176 on: July 10, 2022, 08:16:28 AM »
The fact Grimesy is one of the main culprits of our brain fades doesn’t look great.for a captain.

Should have kept Cotch or Nank as the sole captain.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #177 on: July 10, 2022, 09:34:14 AM »
Cotchin would have been better I'm sure.

Who else we got? Vlastuin been a bit dumb lately. Graham not sure he has the ability to back it up when we need a captains moment.