Author Topic: Grimes and Nank named co-captains [updated]  (Read 25580 times)

Offline skiddymcghee

• Future Richmond star
  • "Be the Ball
Re: Who will be our next captain after Cotch?
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2021, 12:05:48 PM »
Vlastuin (C)
Graham (VC)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2021, 03:43:05 AM »
Vice-captain Jack Riewoldt will emerge as a contender for the vacancy along with Dylan Grimes, Nick Vlastuin and Jack Graham.

Source: AFL website.

Who should be the next captain?

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2021, 07:42:14 AM »
I don’t know about nanks leadership abilities but his on field presence and attitude screams captain to me. Vlastuin or grimes as well. Few more years for graham

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2021, 07:55:54 AM »
Nank, Grimes, Vlastuin. Graham later.

Quite simple really.

I hope they find someone for a few years not just an interim 1-2 year stint.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2021, 08:46:19 AM »
nank all the way
dusty VC

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2021, 01:15:12 PM »
Nank -Dusty vc or vice versa :shh

Not sure Graham will always be best 22 so no point making him captain yet...vc and talking to the media maybe... :shh :shh

One to consider for down the track- Baker...can see him being a real feisty little Tony Shaw type leading from the front, getting under the oppo's skin and inspiring the team....same reason I thought Jake King would've been a good captain for a year or two in between Newman & Cotchin -and Baker's a far better player than King ever was... :shh :shh :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2021, 01:18:01 PM »
The Tiger King: Leading contenders to take up captaincy after legend’s decision to step down

David Zita
Fox Sports
September 15th, 2021 12:05 pm

For the first time in nearly a decade, Richmond will have to appoint a new permanent captain, with club legend Trent Cotchin announcing he’s stepping down from the role ahead of 2022.

The 31-year-old captained the side for 188 of his 268 games (with more to come next year) - the most of any player in the club’s history.

There are a few options for the club to consider for its next captain ahead of 2022 - foxfooty.com.au breaks down the five most likely contenders.

JACK GRAHAM

A heart-and-soul midfielder who knocked back rival offers to remain at Tigerland on a three-year deal at the end of last year.

At 23 years of age, Graham is a two-time premiership player who thrives in the contest and has gradually cemented a midfield spot after being left out of the squad’s 2019 premiership side.

As a junior, he captained South Australia in the Under-18 Championships and won the Larke Medal for being the competition’s best player.

While playing only 16 games in 2020, Graham led the club for tackles, a sign of his defensive integrity and willingness to apply pressure.

If the Tigers opt for a long-term captain rather than a veteran to hold the fort over the next two-to-three years, Graham looks the clubhouse leader.

“I haven’t thought too much about it, I do like to think I’ve got some leadership qualities,” Graham said on SEN Breakfast at the start of the year when asked about the captaincy.

“At the moment at Richmond there’s so much leadership floating around with Cotch (Trent Cotchin), Shane Edwards, (Jack) Riewoldt, Grimesy (Dylan Grimes), (Kane) Lambert … the list goes on.

“I’m just happy to sit back and just learn off these guys.”

DUSTIN MARTIN

If you go by the logic that the best player is the best captain, Dustin Martin is a shoe-in.

There’s perhaps no player in the modern era (or any era) that has led the way with his actions more than Martin, a three-time Norm Smith Medallist.

If the Tigers are looking for someone to embody the values and lessons imparted by Cotchin, Martin looms as a great choice too given the close relationship between the pair, with Martin repeatedly pointing to Cotchin as one of the reasons he’s been able to get the best out of himself as a player and person.

Already a player with an extraordinary aura, Martin as a captain would only add to the mystique surrounding one of the game’s greatest ever performers.

The issue is he’ll turn 31 next year and, despite potentially playing for a few more years, isn’t as long-term an option as nominees in their mid 20s.

JACK RIEWOLDT

At 32 years of age and at this stage signed on until the end of next year, Riewoldt is not a long-term option, but as the current vice-captain could be a great choice to help educate the next long-term skipper in a dual leadership role.

Like Cotchin, Riewoldt’s evolution as a player has been central to the club’s premiership dynasty - none of his three Coleman Medal wins came in premiership years, which is an indication of the selflessness and team-first role he has played in the three successful flag campaigns.

Riewoldt himself offered a response to him potentially taking over from Cotchin on Tuesday night’s AFL 360.

“I‘ve always thought with leadership, I’m just at the beck and call of what the club thinks. I was nearly at the point at the start of this year that I thought maybe it was time for me to step aside as a vice-captain to allow that next person to come through,” he said.

“For the last couple of years it’s been sort of me and Trent as captain and vice-captain, but we’ve got a really big group under us.

“You look at (Tom) Lynch, Grimes, they’re sort of that next group of leaders, but do you go to them and you might get three or four years out of those guys or do you possibly go back to the maybe not the 23-year-old but maybe the kid that’s 25, 26 that’s shown signs that you think can push into the next sort of good chunk of leadership.

“We’ve got plenty of guys we can choose from which we’re very lucky to have.”

NICK VLASTUIN

If the Tigers are looking for a long-term option, then Vlastuin has to be at the front of the queue alongside Graham.

He’ll be 28 at the start of next season and was Vic Metro’s under-18 captain back in 2012 and was handed the captaincy for a brief moment in a pre-season match in 2016.

This year, he signed a mammoth contract that will keep him at Tigerland until at least the end of 2026.

He’s one of the best interceptors in the game but was derailed by injury for a fair chunk of the 2021 season.

He finished third in the club’s best and fairest count in last year’s premiership campaign and was brutally knocked out early in the Grand Final win over Geelong, putting his body on the line as he has on countless occasions.

His importance to the side will only grow now with the departures of Bachar Houli and David Astbury.

DYLAN GRIMES

Along with Martin, Grimes will turn 31 during next season, so isn’t a long-term option. Still, there are few players more influential to the Tigers’ success than the key defender.

An intercept marking machine alongside Vlastuin, Grimes was an All-Australian in the side’s 2019 premiership campaign and finished third in the best and fairest count that year.

He’s been part of all three flags this century for Richmond and stepped almost seamlessly into the void left by Alex Rance’s departure at the end of 2019 and his absence throughout that year given his ACL rupture.

If he is elected skipper, it will be much-deserved for a player who has given his all since arriving at the club in the 2009 pre-season draft.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-news-2021-richmond-next-captain-trent-cotchin-stepping-down-retiring-contract-jack-graham-dustin-martin-jack-riewoldt-nick-vlastuin-dylan-grimes/news-story/3a7c78e8b8ec0579283aea87749e054c

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2021, 02:49:31 PM »
https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1437735124834082817

Based on what Jack Riewoldt said last night on 360 ("it's good timing while some of the older blokes are still around to help"), it won't be him or Grimesy and it will be a younger captain. So that leaves Floss, Graham or Dusty.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2021, 03:33:34 PM »
Grimes and dusty are the same age. So can’t rule one out on age and not the other.

Like what others have been saying about Nank but he’s another like dusty who I’m not sure would wanna do all the media gigs that come with it.

Either way we go I hope we go for a solo captain, never liked the co-captain thing.

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2021, 04:48:13 PM »
Clubs often designate other players besides their captain to do media...Dusty gives interviews on the ground after games all the time anyway....he's no Cotch or Jack but it;s actually a bit of a myth that he's chronically media shy & publicity shy. ..:shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2021, 05:06:30 PM »
Clubs often designate other players besides their captain to do media...Dusty gives interviews on the ground after games all the time anyway....he's no Cotch or Jack but it;s actually a bit of a myth that he's chronically media shy & publicity shy. ..:shh

get your point

But it's not just the media commitments it's the other stuff that comes with being captain. Commitments to Club sponsors, charities etc, then of course being the face of the Club and having to front up when things aren't going great or if there is some sort of off field situation

As Captain you can't pick and chose who you speak to and when...

that's probably one of the reasons I wouldn't look to Dusty or Nank for that matter. Even though Nank is an obvious choice his disdain for some in the media is well known  ;D

the other thing with Nank is ensuring he gets on the park for an entire or majority of the season. The way he plays (and I love the way he plays) he gets bloody banged up and as we have seen the last 2 years he misses large chunks of games....

My first thought was Nick Vlastuin but the more I think about it the more I'm thinking Graham .... same age as Cotch was when he was appointed and that looking back was an inspired choice ....  so it may just be the way to go this time

The players, coaches and footy dept will decide  :gotigers

It's actually a good thing that we are able to have this conversation about options..... years gone by we'd be scratching our heads wondering who
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2021, 05:51:45 PM »

get your point

But it's not just the media commitments it's the other stuff that comes with being captain. Commitments to Club sponsors, charities etc, then of course being the face of the Club and having to front up when things aren't going great or if there is some sort of off field situation

As Captain you can't pick and chose who you speak to and when...

that's probably one of the reasons I wouldn't look to Dusty or Nank for that matter. Even though Nank is an obvious choice his disdain for some in the media is well known  ;D

the other thing with Nank is ensuring he gets on the park for an entire or majority of the season. The way he plays (and I love the way he plays) he gets bloody banged up and as we have seen the last 2 years he misses large chunks of games....

My first thought was Nick Vlastuin but the more I think about it the more I'm thinking Graham .... same age as Cotch was when he was appointed and that looking back was an inspired choice ....  so it may just be the way to go this time

The players, coaches and footy dept will decide  :gotigers

It's actually a good thing that we are able to have this conversation about options..... years gone by we'd be scratching our heads wondering who

i must have been living under a rock or my memory is fading, do tell?

if thats the case we have our man with either one of these lads.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2021, 05:56:34 PM »
Who will take over from Cotch? The Tigers' captaincy contenders

Sarah Black looks at the contenders to take over as Richmond's new leader

By Sarah Black
afl.com.au
15 September 2021

With Trent Cotchin stepping down as Richmond captain, is Dustin Martin or Dylan Grimes next in line? Picture: AFL Photos
FOR THE first time in nearly 10 years, Richmond will have a new captain for the 2022 season.

Trent Cotchin was just 22 when he took the reins ahead of the 2013 season, and is the club's longest serving captain with 188 games under his belt, not to mention three premierships in four years.

The 31-year-old, who is contracted for 2022, has announced he will step down from the role next year, having led the team to an equal-club record seven finals series.

The Tigers have a decision to make – will they go for a short-term option, or back another youngster to follow in Cotchin's footsteps as a long-term leader?

Richmond has traditionally had a very small leadership group of two or three people, meaning there are plenty of options outside of the core few.

SHANE EDWARDS
Pips Jack Riewoldt by a number of days for the oldest player on the list. Like his good mate, Edwards has also captained the club on a number of occasions, most notably for a stint in 2019 when injuries hit hard. Again, will be overlooked if a longer-term captain is wanted.

JACK GRAHAM
The heir apparent, but at only 23, will the Tigers take the plunge? He is a year older than when Cotchin was given the job, but the team was in a very different position at that stage. Graham captained South Australia's under-18 side and is a consistent and strong performer.

DYLAN GRIMES
Has captained the team already in the odd pre-season match, and is a noted leader, particularly of the backline. Given he's 30, the club may opt for a younger option, but the reigning Jack Dyer medallist would be a steady and sound choice for a couple of years.

KANE LAMBERT
A bit left-field, but no one can question Lambert's workrate and on-field performance. Quiet but well-spoken, Lambert has been on the periphery of Richmond's leadership group for several years. Age (nearly 30) and injury concerns could count against him.

TOM LYNCH
Richmond already has a former AFL captain on its hands in the ex-Gold Coast skipper. Lynch, along with now-Demon Steven May, led the Suns in 2017 and 2018 before making the switch to Richmond. Is prone to the occasional on-field outburst, but stands up in the big moments.

DUSTIN MARTIN
There's no doubt Martin is the Tigers' spiritual leader. No one has done more for the club in big moments on the field, particularly when inspiring a comeback. Could conceivably hold the role in a co-captaining arrangement, but given how reserved and media-shy the superstar is off the field, a sole role looks unlikely.

TOBY NANKERVIS
A surprising fan push on social media. Notoriously not a big fan of media commitments (who can forget when he brushed off "Roaming Brian" Taylor?), but Nankervis' on-field credentials are strong, dragging the Tigers over the line in a number of cut-throat games, most notably the 2019 preliminary final.

JACK RIEWOLDT
Set to turn 33 in late October, Riewoldt has been Cotchin's long-term deputy, and led the side on a number of occasions this year. Incredibly well spoken, the only thing counting against Riewoldt would be if the club is looking for a longer-term option.

NICK VLASTUIN
At 27, the half-back flanker is the obvious choice for a medium-term option. Held leadership positions as a junior, captaining Vic Metro, and has also led the Tigers in a pre-season match. Like Lynch, does have a combustible moment or two on the field, but is a natural media performer for that side of the job.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/677215/who-will-take-over-from-trent-cotchin-the-richmond-tigers-captaincy-contenders

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2021, 07:01:11 PM »
Tiger legend’s call: Make Jack captain

Much-loved Tiger Tony Jewell believes the time was right for Trent Cotchin to step down, but he has cautioned Richmond on its next captain.

https://twitter.com/superfooty/status/1438064329790681089
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/josh-mahoney-latest-contender-to-pull-out-of-running-for-afls-vacant-football-operations-role/news-story/2902ed30874b46c6889f635869ffad97

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2021, 07:37:41 PM »

i must have been living under a rock or my memory is fading, do tell?

if thats the case we have our man with either one of these lads.

Roving Brian,  won't do all radio requests

But anyway ... regarding the other non media stuff and I'm talking about sponsors here. They pay millions a season they want value for their money are you saying a Captain doesn't have to do any of those commitments if they don't want to?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)