Author Topic: Maurice Rioli junior [merged]  (Read 71670 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Maurice Rioli junior to debut this week [update]
« Reply #300 on: August 07, 2021, 11:31:43 PM »
Looks to be miles off the required level

...and yet still ahead of Cantkickit & Aarse... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #301 on: August 08, 2021, 01:11:14 AM »
That tackle reminded me off our past when we use tackle that hard his had taste of the big time work hard now preseason.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #302 on: August 08, 2021, 04:44:45 AM »
Dimma's post-game view of MRJ's debut:

"[Maurice Rioli jnr] brings a unique skill set. His ability to close space and force forward turnovers is really important, the holding the ball, some of those decisions we weren't quite sure and perplexed us a little bit.

"The way he creates turnover allows us to score, which is the way we want to operate, so we were really pleased with the pressure he brought. He's only going to get better as he goes on, he kicked one goal and he probably would have a couple more if he finished better."

Source: AFL website

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #303 on: August 08, 2021, 09:31:22 AM »
Small forward for us is akin to short leg in cricket. A spot for newbies noone established wants. Players burnt MRJ two or three times to score.
He needs a pre season to strengthen his core and get those tackles to stick.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Buddysucks

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #304 on: August 08, 2021, 10:08:14 AM »
The thing I liked is that his pressure acts actually forced North players to turn around and look for the backward option allowing others to press up and lock down easy exits. Haven’t seen that all year.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #305 on: August 08, 2021, 03:30:59 PM »
The thing I liked is that his pressure acts actually forced North players to turn around and look for the backward option allowing others to press up and lock down easy exits. Haven’t seen that all year.

Yep spot on.

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #306 on: August 08, 2021, 03:51:30 PM »
He will be much better for the hit out, will know what he is aiming at

Totally agree.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #307 on: August 08, 2021, 05:28:34 PM »
Small forward for us is akin to short leg in cricket. A spot for newbies noone established wants. Players burnt MRJ two or three times to score.

He has the genetics to be very strong through the core like his dad was so I expect him to become a tackling machine as the years go on.  Maybe also hard to tackle like Gary Ablett with that ability to stand up, we shall see.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #308 on: August 08, 2021, 06:29:34 PM »
Yep. :pray.
Said to the kids yesterday if MRJ goes on and plays 200 games he will give you many magnificent memories that you can tell your kids about.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Maurice Rioli junior [merged]
« Reply #309 on: August 09, 2021, 06:19:35 AM »
Rioli results on V/AFL debut:

W - Maurice snr
W - Dean
W - Cyril
W - Daniel
W - Willie
W - MAURICE JNR

Only surname with 6+ players that has a 100% winning record on V/AFL debut.

https://twitter.com/sirswampthing/status/1423932942129131530

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #310 on: August 09, 2021, 09:13:03 AM »

Being burnt does tell me he reads the play well and positions himself to receive which is a great sign. He will not be burnt for much longer :shh

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #311 on: August 09, 2021, 11:50:32 AM »
Had more influence on the game than people realise....set the tone for forward pressure in the second half and brought more on his own in one game than Aarse & Cantkickit combined have all year... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #312 on: August 09, 2021, 11:54:37 AM »
Had more influence on the game than people realise....set the tone for forward pressure in the second half and brought more on his own in one game than Aarse & Cantkockit combined have all year... :shh

Agreed but he should have had 3-4 goals, the one he missed along with the 2 where he was ignored

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #313 on: August 09, 2021, 02:07:32 PM »
Looks to be miles off the required level
Especially first half. I hope we dont go down this path again where they are expected to just run and pressure.

people won't believe me when i say im not having a dig at him but as much as he chased and harassed he was mostly miles away and ineffectual in the first half and that ws not from a lack of effort.

On his pressure i like others thought it was good his pace is good and his skills are a massive  level above Aarts and Castagna but if im gunna rip into Aarts and Castagna for a lack of impact with ball then i am going to make comment on this with Rioli.

As a fwd i hope he becomes more like Cyril than Daniel. I also hope we keep on playing him he is already a better option than Castagna going fwd.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #314 on: August 09, 2021, 03:23:58 PM »
“I know your dad would be proud and I certainly wish he was here to watch you play.”

📹 Watch as Daniel Rioli presents Maurice Rioli Jnr with his Richmond jumper.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/997652/maurice-rioli-jnr-jumper-presentation