Author Topic: $50 donation program to help RFC in 2020  (Read 11201 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: $50 donation program to help RFC in 2020
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2020, 01:00:08 PM »
Balme and Scott warn against overreaction

Nine WWOS
28 April 2020

Richmond GM Neil Balme and Geelong coach Chris Scott have warned against the AFL's mass cost-cutting hurting the on-field product.

Watch here: https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/afl/balme-and-scott-warn-against-overreaction/ck9ik03v5005l0hnqtu8apqz8

:clapping :clapping

Thank goodness for Balmey!

The voice of reason and common sense  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2020, 04:07:20 PM »
Balme and Scott warn against overreaction

Nine WWOS
28 April 2020

Richmond GM Neil Balme and Geelong coach Chris Scott have warned against the AFL's mass cost-cutting hurting the on-field product.

Watch here: https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/afl/balme-and-scott-warn-against-overreaction/ck9ik03v5005l0hnqtu8apqz8
According to Balme, the AFL has over-reacted in terms of just how drastic the cuts will need to be.

"I think we've got to be very concerned about it," he told Footy Classified.

"We have to spend a fair bit of the day to provide a decent footy department and staff and support for our guys and our girls.

"If you cut too much we're going to narrow the game rather than broaden the game, so I am a bit concerned about it.

"I understand the arithmetic of it and I understand it's a real challenge and I understand the AFL. It's an enormous challenge for them and I think they're doing a fantastic job generally, but I think it's very easy to just cut the numbers.

"Somehow we can't allow ourselves to be defined by the coronavirus, we've somehow got to get through it.

"We know when it's gone that things will be back to where we are, I think we need to, at worst, stage things like reducing soft caps rather than just making a big cut.

"I think we will be very disappointed with our product if we did that. I think we are overreacting but that's a little bit about our reaction to the virus as well.

"We have to over-react otherwise we won't get the right outcome. I'm just hoping that the footy thing isn't quite as deep as that."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/neil-balme-chris-scott-warn-against-expansive-afl-cost-cutting-amid-coronavirus-covid-19-crisis/56e70c99-de3c-475a-af8a-11e91fb13ecf

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2020, 12:26:09 AM »
The $36m hit facing AFL players in the long-term

May 5, 2020
Ben Waterworth
FOX SPORTS

Clubs are bracing for smaller list sizes and reduced wages in 2021 and beyond due to the coronavirus crisis.

It’s understood the Total Player Payments (TPP) figure for each club in 2020 is just over $13 million.

While the league is yet to officially determine how significantly the 18 salary caps will be reduced, Caroline Wilson reported clubs would have between $1.5 million and $2 million less to pay players in the future.

“There’s about to be a big negotiation about a new pay deal for the players and a lot of money is going to be taken off the table,” Wilson told Channel 9’s Footy Classified.

“There’s going to be massive pay cuts across the clubs and a lot of briefing against the Players’ Association is a part of that.

“I’m hearing in the long-term – and I believe a new deal will be done with the broadcasters – that we’re looking at about $2 million for each club cut from the salary cap.

“And we’re hearing $5.7 million for a football department soft or hard cap, which is about a $3 million or $4 million cut (per club).”

Wilson suggested a motivation behind the floated list size reductions could be to save money without too many players having to take pay cuts.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-salary-cap-coronavirus-news-updates-list-sizes-caroline-wilson-footy-classified/news-story/456214a53e27a30a1b05d1e2dce2a6bc

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2020, 06:51:32 AM »
Big test for the players IMHO

Lists will be cut but by how many?

Player's take cuts reduction isn't as great.

Player's refuse cuts then 180+ players are cut and unemployed

Over to you Paddy, Paul Marsh and co.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2020, 02:35:29 PM »
It would be good if the club provided the members with a progress report on the clubs finances and how much the problems associated with covid19 and the changes to the season ie. Playing with no crowds have and will cost the club. How much of a hit are we going to take in terms of the clubs financial cash position as well as the balance sheet.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2020, 07:41:26 PM »
Some organisations, such as the West Coast Eagles, Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn, finished the 2019 year with healthy cash balances.

Reigning premiers Richmond had $24 million in hand, while the Hawks surpassed both clubs with nearly $30 million in the bank.

The Eagles had more than $20 million in cash reserves.

For other clubs, the shutdown has thrown their very future into question.

"We were planning on generating around $60 million [in] revenue this year," Dockers president Dale Alcock told ABC Radio Perth.

"Seventy-five per cent of that would come from members, match-day ticket sales, match-day hospitality and sponsorship.

"That's what's at risk."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-21/west-coast-eagles-and-fremantle-dockers-coronavirus-response/12271900

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2020, 01:16:59 PM »
‘I don’t think they’re safe’: Caro’s dire warning to AFL over future of poorer clubs

May 22, 2020 12:02pm
FOX SPORTS

Caroline Wilson said the debate over the spending cap is only getting more intense, specifically concerning the gap between the AFL’s rich and poor clubs.

She went as far as to say that the future of some of the newer teams is at serious risk.

“The poorer clubs are saying we have to have a hard cap on spending, the richer clubs are saying we’ll go nuts if you know, we have to stand under this amount of money and then those clubs are just going to make bigger profits and then where are they going to spend that money, well they are going to be taxed more heavily,” Wilson told FIVEaa Sports Show.

“It’s heating up. The return to play is consuming Gillon McLachlan and his team this week, but in about a month there will be a new set of dilemmas about what’s going to happen to the competition.

“I reckon they’re going to start looking at the poorer clubs again. I’m certain one or two of the newer clubs, and by them I mean obviously not in Adelaide but further north, and obviously clubs like North Melbourne, I don’t think they’re safe, I really don’t.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/i-dont-think-theyre-safe-caros-dire-warning-to-afl-over-future-of-poorer-clubs/news-story/0da05445c4c3ce7dc37f822adc7f8ee9

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2020, 02:23:24 PM »
Geelong CEO Brian Cook has give a sobering insight into the financial challenge facing AFL clubs.

“I think by the end of this year you’ll find some clubs, and we’ll be one of those, could have a debt of up to 10 million dollars.

“Mainly because there’s no crowds, for every home game without a crowd we lose a million dollars.”

Source: Foxsports

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2020, 05:11:13 PM »
No one gives a poo about Geelong. They can go iut of business for all I care.

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2020, 05:18:40 PM »
Send 'em back to the GDFL... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2020, 07:00:06 PM »
Have you noticed no one had a breakdown of costs in these articles. Maybe in club financials you could dig it up but no one seems to be saying what ar the expensive bits. Given 13 mill of salary cap and turnover of 95 million then it's not players.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #116 on: May 24, 2020, 12:51:31 PM »
Its all the hangers on who got jobs because they know people - theres too many of them in all afl clubs. There us no need for any club to need to generate 80-90 million just to break even. It just shows theres too many hangers on getting massive wages. Its shocking business management from those in charge of the clubs.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2020, 02:45:12 AM »
The AFL told club CEOs in a 90-minute phone hook up on Tuesday they wanted to repay the debt as quickly as possible showing revenue projections for two years beyond this season. They told bosses their projected revenues for 2020 were improving on their dire initial forecasts.

Source: The Age