Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 270937 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #2430 on: February 25, 2023, 06:06:34 AM »
Frees were 3-8 in the last quarter with Norf getting three of theirs inside their F50.

Also add the ball hitting the ground which was paid a mark (and goal) to Norf just before 3/4 time. Pausing the replay clearly shows the ball touching the turf  ::).   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #2431 on: February 25, 2023, 09:45:10 AM »
I am thinking of counting how many free kick goals and behinds against us this year. Would be interesting. I felt a quarter of Norths goals were from direct free kicks.

2022, felt the same too. Some where there thanks to our stupidity, some harsh calls.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2432 on: March 01, 2023, 04:44:20 PM »
The AFL confirming what they already said they were doing :huh3.

AFL introduces fourth umpire

A fourth field umpire will be introduced for the 2023 Toyota AFL Premiership Season

The AFL Football Department has communicated to clubs the introduction of a fourth umpire to be implemented for the 2023 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

AFL Head of Umpiring, Dan Richardson said that the introduction of a fourth umpire will progress the game for both the officials and players.

“The fourth umpire will optimise decision making, allowing umpires to be in better positions to adjudicate a contest – whether they are stoppages through the midfield or marking contests at either end of the ground," Richardson said.

“Having two umpires at stoppages also acts as a strong deterrent to off-the-ball players from engaging in undisciplined play. Umpires will also be able to manage off ball situations more effectively.

"We have conducted more than 600 club visits over the pre-season seeking significant feedback from club coaching staff and players around the positioning of the four umpires and their movement patterns.

"We thank the clubs for their input and feel we are well prepared as we head into the 2023 season,” said Richardson.

AFL General Manager of Umpiring Lisa Lawry said that the introduction of the fourth umpire has the dual benefit of accelerating the development of the next generation of umpires as well as extending the careers of experienced umpires with the reduction of physical demands.

“With the reduction in physical demands and adding more positions to our umpiring team this will strengthen our work in performance, growth, and development of umpiring pathways – ensuring a strong, diverse and appealing pathway from community through to the elite level,” Lawry said.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/878264/afl-introduces-fourth-umpire

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2433 on: March 04, 2023, 06:51:19 PM »
If this is what we're in for in 2023 the game is in trouble.  The 100 goal a year forward may come back. 

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2434 on: March 04, 2023, 06:54:48 PM »
Yeah agree on that
Go Tigers!

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2435 on: March 05, 2023, 11:16:42 PM »
I agree also used to watch most games and most levels of footy but it has become hard to watch the game at any level and that includes watching us.

The game has been for want of a better way to say it buggered.
Give a short time and we will be playing a version of Gaelic footy. Yeah Na to that thanks. In the future the game cannot survive despite all the self interest from the media.

Last what ever happened in every thing we do we take responsibility for the decisions we make. The trouble with the game smacks us all in the face. If choose to play afl i know there is contact and i know Iwill get knocks to the head but i choose to play anyway. Dont change the game i used to box when i was young but i always knew the consequences. The game is SUPPOSED TO BE A CONTACT SPORT but the contact is being legislated out in the name of god knows what. If you want to box or do Mixed martial arts or play footy then you play knowing you can get hurt and there may be consequences long term. Leave the freakin  game alone Take responsibility for your self and leave the game a freakin alone.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2437 on: March 16, 2023, 10:08:32 PM »
Loved the play in the last quarter where 3 blues in a row got tackled and dropped the ball then Shai picks the ball up and gets it knocked out of his hand and gets done for a free against

It’s farcical

Broadsword

« Reply #2438 on: March 16, 2023, 10:16:03 PM »
Loved the play in the last quarter where 3 blues in a row got tackled and dropped the ball then Shai picks the ball up and gets it knocked out of his hand and gets done for a free against

It’s farcical
Yeah that one was horse crepe. It left my wondering why a player would even bother trying to pick up the ball.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2439 on: March 16, 2023, 10:19:48 PM »

It’s farcical
Yeah that one was horse crepe. It left my wondering why a player would even bother trying to pick up the ball.

I said the same thing lol but overall didn’t think they were particularly bad tonight.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #2440 on: March 16, 2023, 10:20:52 PM »
They weren’t. Let a bit go and a few dodgy calls both ways
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2441 on: March 16, 2023, 10:43:52 PM »
Not bad tonight, but Cripps could rip the head off a baby and they'd still call play on.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2442 on: March 16, 2023, 11:57:55 PM »
I thought they cost us the game. Once we hit the front in the 3rd they screwed us at every opportunity

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2443 on: March 17, 2023, 12:13:57 AM »
No issue with them tonight. A few howlers as there always is but compared to previous seasons they were good.

I am still totally confused by the prior opportunity nonsense. They said they were going to crack down on blokes thwt do 3060 spins while being tackled but all they did tonight was go flappity, flap, flap and say play on (for both sides)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2444 on: March 17, 2023, 12:20:24 AM »
I can't believe I'm saying it but thought they did pretty well. Round 1 as well, few mistakes but no howlers IMO.

If that's the starting point and it improves then good on them I guess. Normally very critical of umps but they did ok tonight.
Go Tigers!